• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Responds to PS5 Pre-Order Chaos with Promise of Exact Pre-order Time for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Richard has been smoking some strange stuff for sure. His argument just doesn't hold water. You are aware that most of the first people to get hold of PS5 pre-orders were scalpers, right?
Sony just let retailers to sell out very fast, in order to generate more interest. In the end, they didn't even care about scalpers, because scalpers help to artificially increase the perceived value of products.

I think it's just easy for him to talk, because he was lucky enough to get his pre-order.
But his point is valid. It was bad enough with all the web crashing as it was. Imagine how bad it would have been if everyone went live at the same time. Sony isn't at fault for retailers jumping the gun on pre-orders. Walmart jumped the gun and everyone else naturally followed. It is hilarious that MS is trying to turn this into PR for them, when they're more or less acknowledging that Sony's system is popular.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don't remember it being this bad last console launch, I mean let's now act simple. The retailers jumping the gun and allowing scalpers to capitalize on it by pre ordering multiple units per transaction is just crazy and still run out. Especially when Sony has doubled the allocation this time around.

I've seen dozens of videos on youtube of people showing receipts of buying 2-5 units from one retailer which they should have not been allowed to do. So in all honesty I put the blame on Wal-Mart and the other stores that pushed the ore orders out in a scum bag way.

Scalpers wouldn't be any less effective if the pre-orders had been announced for a specific date. This is a non argument, because it really doesn't make any sense.

Last console launch was 7 years ago. The world has changed, people get twitter notifications on their phones and are three clicks away from pre ordering a console. This is a simple case of demand being really really high, and supply not being nearly enough. Dems the breaks.

If Xbox pre orders don't go through the same problem, it either means a)low demand b)high supply.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
People saying having clear dates for anything is a bad move because of scalpers is a new low, even for Sony stans.

Snarky replies about nobody possibly wanting to preorder an XBox went just as I expected clicking on the thread title.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Scalpers wouldn't be any less effective if the pre-orders had been announced for a specific date. This is a non argument, because it really doesn't make any sense.

Last console launch was 7 years ago. The world has changed, people get twitter notifications on their phones and are three clicks away from pre ordering a console. This is a simple case of demand being really really high, and supply not being nearly enough. Dems the breaks.

If Xbox pre orders don't go through the same problem, it either means a)low demand b)high supply.
I would still like to know, how we still haven't figured out how to make servers that can handle the demand instead of sites always crashing.

Neofire

I completely disagree with every statement you made. Being able to receive twitter notifications, maybe a few seconds quicker? When compared to 7 years ago.....yeah okay that is completely why the ps5's ore orders ended up the way it did.

There is no evidence that just because your twitter or Facebook apps are a tad bit more efficient, led to a stock of consoles that had twice the amount of the allocation of the previous console launch to be and roughly 10 minutes and on some stores less than that in that. On top of bring in a pandemic too.

I can almost be certain that if MS can contain retailers from jumping the gun that their pre order sales will go much smoother. Instead of a select few with deep pockets sitting behind a desk hitting a refresh button ,just to buy multiple units, only to put them on eBay to try and make a quick buck.

Yoboman

MS accidentally leaking their prices two weeks early and then holding on to preorders for two weeks. Genius move

Thirty7ven

Banned
I completely disagree with every statement you made. Being able to receive twitter notifications, maybe a few seconds quicker? When compared to 7 years ago.....yeah okay that is completely why the ps5's ore orders ended up the way it did.

There is no evidence that just because your twitter or Facebook apps are a tad bit more efficient, led to a stock of consoles that had twice the amount of the allocation of the previous console launch to be and roughly 10 minutes and on some stores less than that in that. On top of bring in a pandemic too.

I can almost be certain that if MS can contain retailers from jumping the gun that their pre order sales will go much smoother. Instead of a select few with deep pockets sitting behind a desk hitting a refresh button ,just to buy multiple units, only to put them on eBay to try and make a quick buck.

Demand is what makes pre-orders sell out in minutes, saying "pre-orders will go live at 8PM" won't change that.

You think scalpers won't buy multiple consoles because.... MS will organize retailers to only start pre orders at a specific time? How the hell does this make sense?

The only thing that will stop pre orders from selling out, and scalpers from making money, is low demand. Period.

Neofire

Demand is what makes pre-orders sell out in minutes, saying "pre-orders will go live at 8PM" won't change that.

You think scalpers won't buy multiple consoles because.... MS will organize retailers to only start pre orders at a specific time? How the hell does this make sense?

The only thing that will stop pre orders from selling out, and scalpers from making money, is low demand. Period.
I never said it would "stop scalpers" I said it wouldn't give them the unfair advantage of gobbling everything up from the retailers jumping the gun on the date that is set.

The way walmart and them did caught alot of people off guard when Sony specifically said that pre orders would go live on the 17th and retailers said the hell with it and made them go live an hour after the Sony presentation.

There is no way you can justify what the retailers did and give them zero blame for the chaos.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Correct, social media was certainly relevant in 2013, but I'd argue it wasn't anywhere near what it is now and it has had an impact on being able to do things quickly and changed our habits. Back in 2013, I walked into my local Gamestop and pre-ordered my PS4 when the store opened and that was that. Picked it up on launch and went on about my merry way.

Having said that, I wish that for retailers it would have been where you have to physically go into the store and put down a payment and you would be guaranteed your system and then opened up online for later. I would have taken a sick day to show up at my local Best Buy and put down my pre-order, but I'll be waiting it out and see what happens. I will try and make an effort to get my Xbox Series X, while I'd prefer to have a PS5 since I could play Demons Souls, but Cyberpunk and Valhalla will keep me busy for a long while.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have this in my favorite Czech retailer:
ImgW.ashx

Sad thing is ideally id rather buy the new Xbox than PlayStation, I’m looking at the content and not feeling it at all tho. Considering what’s been put out in recent years and all the farces around that , I can’t justify it to myself.

I don’t even care for Halo much either. Some won’t agree , I wish they were a bit more like Sony first party wise or they were more like the majority of the 360 years. I’d be day one no doubt about it.

Hairsplash

Different roll out in Canada I guess. That’s where I’m from.
a received the best buy preorder email at 7:41pm... i did not read it until 9am...
good thing to know that it was impossible to secure a ps5 preorder from bestbuy... i was kicking myself for not checking my email at 8pm... (i rarely/ never check email at night)

oh, well looks like another ps4 situation... it will be available in canada widely on february 2021... just like with the ps4, first ps4 i saw “in the wild” was at target in february after the november of the ps4 launch....
i thought the ps5 preorder was going to be like the ps4pro preorder... i guess not.
i am not happy about waiting until february for a ps5... but gtav for ps5 is not arriving until june 2021

Shameful replies in this thread. Even from some people I respect.

It's good on MS to do this. This shouldn't be seen as anything but a pro consumer move.

Just salty fanboys who are crying that Horizon Forbidden West is also coming to PS4 along with Miles Morales. And also those who found out there is no PS3, PS2, PS1 BC for PS5. Oh and of course Sony deceiving them with the whole "console exclusive" when its actually a timed exclusive for FF16 and also coming to PC.

Sony Ponies got played hard.

But its okay because I'll be enjoying my PS5 and XSX day 1 when it gets here with my popcorn out because watching a clown show of 5 year olds in a 30 year old body is amusing to an alpha chad like myself . ;)

If you hit like on this comment you are a true Alpha Chad, if you don't... then stay Beta Cuck I guess?

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Scalpers that could not get a PS5 will have their revenge on Xbox preorders come the 22nd... You guys better be ready to go when them shits go up!

The only reason why the Series X is so tempting right now is

A) The 3080 scalpers are fucking scum
B) The PS5 scalpers are fucking scumbags (why can't they understand it's a cross-gen system?)
C) Xbox isn't as big in Asia and most likely the product I can get on launch day without reservation.

THEAP99

Banned
It's actually good Sony isn't doing a set time for pre orders. Because walmart just announced a time and now the website crashed and bots are pre ordering. That's going to happen with the Xbox pre orders next week.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
It's actually good Sony isn't doing a set time for pre orders. Because walmart just announced a time and now the website crashed and bots are pre ordering. That's going to happen with the Xbox pre orders next week.
Yep being sporadic gives less time for scalpers and bots to prep snagging inventory for themselves

...in other news, I just got a call back from the tech dept. manager of a large retail chain over here. I did call earlier to phone-in a preorder for the X.
so its done, a w/e before it even starts and I dont have to even worry :messenger_beaming:
point: b2b relations sometimes can pay-off for fun reasons too.

reinking

Gold Member
Queue the bots. I hope they do not take over like they did for the 3080. This could backfire on MS. This is why they have stumbled a few times already. They hype something and then it goes to crap at execution.

I'm going to be training over the weekend to best the AI.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
What is the difference between a pre-order starting at an arbitrary time and a planned time? The results are the same if not worse. Systems overloaded, orders failing and sold out messages. Why is this a discussion?

Things will settle down over the next few weeks and everyone will get a pre-order.

The only reason why the Series X is so tempting right now is

A) The 3080 scalpers are fucking scum
B) The PS5 scalpers are fucking scumbags (why can't they understand it's a cross-gen system?)
C) Xbox isn't as big in Asia and most likely the product I can get on launch day without reservation.

I got 2 PS5s and 1 of them is on sale for ebay. Glad to have the knowledge from such a "wise" man like yourself that apperently people who are smart and take advantage of supply and demand are so called "scum". The salt is real. Keep flowing the salt. Its fun to read.

Its ok, mommy still loves you lil Timmy <3

Last edited:
Finally something Microsoft can’t fuck up.

It took a long time.

Exciting to see if Microsoft act like there is a high demand for there boxes and put out only small quantity for preorder...
Jesus Christ if Xbox one could sell out at launch with all the bullshit surrounding it why won’t the series x do the same without the need for some conspiracy non sense about Holding supplies. I’m sure there are enough Xbox fans out there that want the console. Not everything is a slight to Sony seeesh!

VAVA Mk2

Only way I preorder is if they announce Halo Infinite MP beta this holiday season exclusive to Series S and X. No other incentive for me to leave my One X right now. Still wanna build a PC anyways.

scalman

No point as i buy all digital day one if its what im interested in ... and that is short list. I can buy it like one day earlier just because i could have game downloaded on day one allready to play no extra waiting

salva

No point as i buy all digital day one if its what im interested in ... and that is short list. I can buy it like one day earlier just because i could have game downloaded on day one allready to play no extra waiting
concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom