• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Responds to PS5 Pre-Order Chaos with Promise of Exact Pre-order Time for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorkimoe

I'm not gonna read all this but how do they prevent the retailers from just doing whatever, which is what happened last night to my understanding?
They don’t. they depend on retailers. They can issue fines for breaking street dates on items, but technically they didn’t. There isn’t anything they can really do, they aren’t gonna withold Stock from walmart Or amazon

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is bad business practice, they should have created the same chaos PS did it was perfectly executed said every single PS fanboy.

I am still debating where to pre-order, not sure if I will sell my One X privately for around $300 or just give it up to GameStop for $200.

It was the retailers that did it, Sony said tomorrow (yesterday).

You watch, retailers will break the date as well if they see an overwhelming demand.

Last edited:

fermcr

Microsoft really need 3rd party AAA exclusives if they want to sell consoles.
Final Fantasy 16 as a Sony/PC exclusive is a big win for Sony. Microsoft need a few like this...

Last edited:

Kagero

This is what started it. After Walmart the other retailers immediately opened the pre-orders

Bestbuy started it. I was f5ing every site. I was there right from the beginning. Walmart was second, Then EB, then Everyone else. Amazon was last because they don’t give a shit. They know they will sell out.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
You can smell the desperation on Unc Phil. No bueno

xgCxpEp.png
Phil be like
"mommy.....please pay attention to me.."

wonder if his confidence is still high after sony's showing like he said last time :S

Blond

Banned
Yeah, because millions of people swamping retailers at a specific time will reduce chaos.

In IT that's called elasticity. If you know when to expect heavier than normal traffic you can prepare for it. Black Friday use to be hell for retailers online and now it's no worse than any other period because they know when to expect it.

The pre orders were supposed to come online today but everyone jumped the gun and pretty much shot themselves in the foot.

ethomaz

Banned
The chaos was generated by the amount of users wanting a PS5 not bad management.

Sony defined the preorders could be open at the end of the show.
Some retailers opened few hours after and others just in the other day... that is the retail choice.

Now anybody thinking a PlayStation launch won't have chaos are fooling themselves... the amount of the people wanting the machine makes sure the pre-orders or even the launch sales will be a extreme chaos like happened with PS4.

dorkimoe

Bestbuy started it. I was f5ing every site. I was there right from the beginning. Walmart was second, Then EB, then Everyone else. Amazon was last because they don’t give a shit. They know they will sell out.
Best Buy was definitely third from what I saw. Best Buy ca was way before us
Walmart, target, Best Buy,GameStop, amazon.
You can check the order of links posted in the pre order thread

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In IT that's called elasticity. If you know when to expect heavier than normal traffic you can prepare for it. Black Friday use to be hell for retailers online and now it's no worse than any other period because they know when to expect it.

The pre orders were supposed to come online today but everyone jumped the gun and pretty much shot themselves in the foot.
Retailers knows their plan to open pre-orders... so they should have prepared like a BF.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Glad Microsoft is being fair to their fans instead of a suprise pre order and let scalpers have a field day. We won't do a suprise pre order. Suprise mother fuckers lol

Jtibh

Banned
Haha! This is going to end badly for hardcore gamers. Not only are you going to be competing with nerds like the ones that make up these gaming forums, but now you’re going to be competing with Little Bobby and his mom Karen, and his dad Chad the scalper. Sony did it right. Do a surprise launch and give the hardcore gamers first dibs.
Little bobby can play with daddy while karen is lonely and ends up in my bed

LQX

Sort of ironic MS might actually lose more consumer confidence and be the butt of jokes and memes if Series X and S is readily available for pre-order and does not sell out in seconds, meanwhile for the past day and half many have been losing their shit because they cant get a pre-order in for PS5 or RTX 3080 video card.

Xenon

Microsoft really need 3rd party AAA exclusives if they want to sell consoles.
Final Fantasy 16 as a Sony/PC exclusive is a big win for Sony. Microsoft need a few like this...

What does this have to do with Sony's lack of clarity on preorders. Besides Microsoft just doing what Sony has been doing all along which has let the other guy go first and capitalize on their mistakes.

I know, that's not my point. Retailers jumped the gun, not Sony , so the OP is pointless. I got mine from Amazon UK this morning.

True. I don't understand this thread really. Bitter Xbox fans?
'
Sony sells to RETAILER
RETAILER sells to CONSUMER

Sony doesn't have any say in this. PS5 is a hot commodity. If you weren't hitting F5 on mefiamarkt.nl the last 24 hours you made a mistake.

ripeavocado

Banned
Good job, I mean, thank you for doing the bare minimum that we should expect from a multinational corp launching its new product.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I was actually shocked the retailers jumped as early as they did. When I heard they were available here and there, I thought it may have been a screw up. But then they were in a LOT of places. Sucks for the people that were planning to hop onto it the next day when they were supposed to be available.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good grief. This isn’t on Sony. The retailers decided to jump the gun. Microsoft making hay out of it is typical console warring claptrap.

Sony made a few mistakes last night, but this wasn’t one of them.
It was Sony wanting to be secret squirrels and not being clear enough a head of time with retail to keep secrets. They could of easily held preorders next week if they communicated a head of time not hours before hand. It was a Sony generated problem.

Last edited:

Kagero

Best Buy was definitely third from what I saw. Best Buy ca was way before us
Walmart, target, Best Buy,GameStop, amazon.
You can check the order of links posted in the pre order thread
Different roll out in Canada I guess. That’s where I’m from.

rubenburgt

I don't understand the anger, nor do I care about it, but I do want to say that Microsoft had trouble releasing their Xbox One worldwide as well in past, which was in a lot less difficult time, so I find this tweet pretty amusing.

FunkMiller

It was Sony wanting to be secret squirrels and not being clear enough a head of time with retail to keep secrets. They could of easily held preorders next week if they communicated a head of time not hours before hand. It was a Sony generated problem.

Only if you think next day was too soon.

ethomaz

Banned
Not really, it's very clear they were supposed to launch today and decided to ride the hype train of the announcement and posted them earlier.
So they had to be prepared? They planed to go early so they had to be prepared for that.

Last edited:

Ultraslick

Neo Member
You getting an Xbox at launch? No? Then the message isn't for you. They are letting their customers know what to expect. Plain and simple. Could care less how it rubs you. It's a pro consumer move.

I guess I can imagine how it would be comforting to hear Microsoft reiterate their preorder date.

It’s just that I don’t think anyone expects the same issues with trying to pre-order an Xbox.

It’s like the popular kids are talking loudly and Microsoft walks over and says “don’t forget me, I’m still here”
“We make games too”
“Oh regarding the crazy ps5 pre order- we have a preorder coming soon too!”

Okay.
We see you Microsoft.

I guess I can imagine how it would be comforting to hear Microsoft reiterate their preorder date.

It’s just that I don’t think anyone expects the same issues with trying to pre-order an Xbox.

It’s like the popular kids are talking loudly and Microsoft walks over and says “don’t forget me, I’m still here”
“We make games too”
“Oh regarding the crazy ps5 pre order- we have a preorder coming soon too!”

Okay.
We see you Microsoft.
Pretty rich of you to say that you think MS where trolling taking a jab and that it rubs you the wrong way when here you are, taking jabs like you can't help yourself.

It's plain for anyone to see that there are a lot of PS fans who are upset about the way the preorders went down. MS has seen that too and are just reassuring their fans so they can hopefully mitigate the same thing happening to them. They do what they do for their customers. They think they have a premium product to sell to them, so they are going to treat it like one. Even if it doesn't sell out they are going to treat it like it's a big enough deal that it will. Because it's what their customers and fans deserve.

Realize that this forum houses fans from all corners of gaming. Some of them are very excited for the Xbox launch and are hoping the preorder fiasco doesn't happen to them either. Some are excited for ALL console launches and would like to know what they can about timing. Try to respect our hobby and be kind to our fellow members. You weren't attacking anyone directly, but the way you talk puts MS fans in the back row or something.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your demeanor when you're on top greatly determines how people treat you when you're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom