• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Responds to PS5 Pre-Order Chaos with Promise of Exact Pre-order Time for Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Announcing date is time is going to turn their pre-order into the Nvidia fiasco all over again. The bots are going to scoop these up before anyone gets a chance to hit submit.

Elcid

Banned
Good on them. Doubt the demand will be too high for the Series X, but A for effort.
Inb4 someone saying "that's obvious when no one's buying them"

Would be impressive tho. They had incredibly shortage in the beginning of this gen.
...according to who? I was able to get a launch X1 MONTHS later in Miami, all the stores had plenty.

Lone Wolf

I would expect the crazy demand to be a bit less than PS5, but usually consoles sell through most stock at launch. The Series S could move quick at that price. I was skipping launch, but may even try to grab one.

small_law

Sorry Xbox

8e0
Come on now, bringing up Don Matric right now is a low blow and you know it.

Matsuchezz

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Microsoft is the biggest corporate SJW there is....they are always doing stuff pro consumer, and they are so, so transparent that we can even see Phil Spencer's underwear and if he continues this path of love for consumers we will eventually see that he is pure at heart and has a glowing aura floating above his head. I wonder when will be the day when we see all xbox execs giving away XsXs and LGs CX65 and a lunch box to all gamers in need...
MS just love the fans, god bless them and uncle Phil.

Lol did anyone honestly believe PS5 preorders WERE NOT opening immediately after? Even though Keighley reported "tomorrow," I knew that was bs so I was lurking neogaf like a mf. I was planning for it and so lucky to strike when I did. I have gaf fam to thank for that (thanks to all you wonderful souls!).

You can't trust retailers to wait on money that is a sure thing.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
If people are wondering what happened with Sony, they did have a preorder date set for the following day which was today but Walmart said fuck your preorder date.

After Walmart opened preorder every other retailer followed suit because who does not want those monies? Needless to say they know demand is going to be high so they just said fuck it. This is both hilarious and i some worth feel bad for those who were ready to preorder today.

Last edited:

ZehDon

According to EB Games in Australia, pre-orders open at 8:00am AEST on Tuesday, September 22. Using the PS5 cluster fuck as a guide, I should begin F5-ing at 8:00am on the 21st and don't stop until I see the button.

If people are wondering what happened with Sony, they did have a preorder date set for the following day which was today but Walmart said fuck your preorder date.

After Walmart opened preorder every other retailer followed suit because who does not want those monies? Needless to say they know demand is going to be high so they just said fuck it. This is both hilarious and i some worth feel bad for those who were ready to preorder today.

But aren’t preorders just authorizations until the product ships for the big retailers? The money argument makes no sense.

Kerlurk

Banned
Hilarious.

I'm sure the retailers said, just open the floodgates, cause if they followed any specific time, it would dragged their entire site down.

Sony could never win this, as any specific time, would have either swamped most systems and dragged it down, and/or with all pre-orders being gone in two minutes, and with many people being upset.

Bestbuy website was a perfect example of this. Simply could not handle the load.

For sure under such a scenario I would never have gotten my pre-order in. Thank you Sony/retailers for doing it the way you did it.

I knew when the price was announced, it was time to start checking. I had multiple windows open doing refreshes on twitter searches, had the neogaf pre-order thread open with constant refreshes, and multiple windows open at different retailers, hitting refresh every now and then.

Because of the neogaf thread, and twitter searches, I knew exactly when sites went live.

Xbox has no where near the demand, and so they can get away with this.

Microsoft spinning this for PR win.

The RTX 3080 being a perfect example of this, with the vast majority not being able to get a card, with the sites selling out in seconds.

Last edited:
There is no money argument, I'm just saying retailers want money and majority of those preorder are guaranteed sales.

They’d be guaranteed today too. I’m saying it doesn’t matter for retailers. My guess is that Walmart wanted to be the 1st in to take credit for being consumer friendly. They probably hope that will encourage gamers to use them over the other guys for more games with the console or more games/accessories in the future.

By giving a specific time of when pre-orders will go live will actually make it harder for customers to buy this and sites will crash easier because everyone will be tapping that refresh button at the exact same time.

Superkewl

I am just trying to decide whether to buy from amazon or direct from MS. I prefer amazon, but can probably get a good chunk of MS points if I buy direct from MS. What are you guys doing?

Let's be real that last night was a cluster f / chaos, but it had nothing at all to do with lack of notice to consumers. The issue was overwhelming demand and I fail to see how more lead time would have reduced the demand.

This.

It had zero to do with lack of notice. The same shit would have happened if everyone was given notice in advance. In fact it probably would have been worse. Because scalpers would have been more prepared.

This was due to overwhelming demand.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

From what I've been told, Sony provided allocation units for Australia and companies knew the numbers they were going to be allowed to purchase and sell. EB Games jumped the gun just over an hour after the show case, this was not with Sony's approval. Then several other retailers like JB HI FI, Harvey Norman, Target, Big W followed over the next few hours, the flood gates had been opened. The official Sony site had no choice but to open pre-orders because of the shit storm that EB Games Australia caused. So Basically EB jumped the street date. EB and other places can pre-order anything they want, far away as they want. Believe it or not, up to you. But it's not all on Sony here. I can't speak to what happened in the States.

One good thing ReviewTech pointed out, Bots were stopped.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I admire their optimism at thinking it will be necessary.

Seriously, how many months was it after launch people were still finding day one editions of the XO in stores? I'm pretty sure it was well over 6.

Gonna be a different story with $299 boxes a month before Christmas.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Apparently, announcing a specific date and time for the availability of pre-orders is a bad idea because doing so enables scalpers to program their bots to strike immediately when the pre-orders begin, which minimizes the chances of actual customers acquiring any of them.

Richard explains this in the video below.

chilichote

And yet not everyone who would like to pre-order will be able to pre-order.

In this respect, it doesn't really matter whether it happens suddenly or with an announcement.

Aight

You know what would have happned if Sony had Preorders start everywhere at the same time, and everyone along with the Buy bots try to acces Shops at the same time...

Sethbacca

Good for people who want an Xbox. I don't think the Sony pre order thing was that bad. As a gamer I was ready during the event but it didn't even go up until next morning where I live.

Seriously, anybody who has been part of the last few generations of launches knows the deal. It is what it is.

Roxkis_ii

When your company doesn't have the same demand as another company, your not likely to run into the same problems, unless the situation is created artificially.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hilarious.

I'm sure the retailers said, just open the floodgates, cause if they followed any specific time, it would dragged their entire site down.

Sony could never win this, as any specific time, would have either swamped most systems and dragged it down, and/or with all pre-orders being gone in two minutes, and with many people being upset.

Bestbuy website was a perfect example of this. Simply could not handle the load.

For sure under such a scenario I would never have gotten my pre-order in. Thank you Sony/retailers for doing it the way you did it.

I knew when the price was announced, it was time to start checking. I had multiple windows open doing refreshes on twitter searches, had the neogaf pre-order thread open with constant refreshes, and multiple windows open at different retailers, hitting refresh every now and then.

Because of the neogaf thread, and twitter searches, I knew exactly when sites went live.

Xbox has no where near the demand, and so they can get away with this.

Microsoft spinning this for PR win.

The RTX 3080 being a perfect example of this, with the vast majority not being able to get a card, with the sites selling out in seconds.
I agree. Sony taking heat for this is absurd and yes its ridiculous that MS is somehow trying to turn it into a PR win for them. What's to stop Walmart or other retailers from breaking pre-order release dates for Xbox? What will MS do if they do break those dates? Deny them a console? Yeah, that'll fucking work real well for them.

FranXico

Apparently, announcing a specific date and time for the availability of pre-orders is a bad idea because doing so enables scalpers to program their bots to strike immediately when the pre-orders begin, which minimizes the chances of actual customers acquiring any of them.

Richard explains this in the video below.

Richard has been smoking some strange stuff for sure. His argument just doesn't hold water. You are aware that most of the first people to get hold of PS5 pre-orders were scalpers, right?
Sony just let retailers to sell out very fast, in order to generate more interest. In the end, they didn't even care about scalpers, because scalpers help to artificially increase the perceived value of products.

I think it's just easy for him to talk, because he was lucky enough to get his pre-order.

Thirty7ven

Banned
People complaining need to realize that there aren't enough units for everyone who wants them, and that's just life. No matter what the pre order strategy was, there wouldn't be enough.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Richard has been smoking some strange stuff for sure. His argument just doesn't hold water. You are aware that most of the first people to get hold of PS5 pre-orders were scalpers, right?
Sony just let retailers to sell out very fast, in order to generate more interest. In the end, they didn't even care about scalpers, because scalpers help to artificially increase the perceived value of products.

I think it's just easy for him to talk, because he was lucky enough to get his pre-order.
I don't agree. I've visited the forums of Reddit, Resetera, Linus Tech Tips, and EVGA and I've come across very few posts of people who were able to get an RTX 3080, whose launch was announced weeks ahead of time. On the other hand, I've come across many posts of people who were able to pre-order a PlayStation 5.

XBox player my ass. Outside of stupid political videos all rest are ps esclusives (or games played on PS4, even thumbnails have PS menu) and bashing xbox
:messenger_beaming: (y)
should really say "bro, I am in my mid-thirties and I still can't afford two consoles. I have seen the light, and the light is to troll what I cant have"

oh, and "daddy, what happened to the xbox? I tossed it to the garbage" -very convincing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Neofire

People complaining need to realize that there aren't enough units for everyone who wants them, and that's just life. No matter what the pre order strategy was, there wouldn't be enough.
I don't remember it being this bad last console launch, I mean let's now act simple. The retailers jumping the gun and allowing scalpers to capitalize on it by pre ordering multiple units per transaction is just crazy and still run out. Especially when Sony has doubled the allocation this time around.

I've seen dozens of videos on youtube of people showing receipts of buying 2-5 units from one retailer which they should have not been allowed to do. So in all honesty I put the blame on Wal-Mart and the other stores that pushed the ore orders out in a scum bag way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom