• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft rebrands Xbox Game Pass, also more proof XBL is becoming free

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Imagine the reverse trolling if xbox live became free and PlayStation+ was still paid for lol

tbh i think both services are decent value now they give free games away with it. I have some great games on my PlayStation in the last few months off it

turtlepowa

Banned
They wouldn't throw away something that makes them billions. Gold will be rolled into Gamepass and the cost of the sub will increase.

Interesting that Xbox branding is being removed from Gamepass. Maybe Microsoft really are planning on going software and service only?
Logo + name was just too much. It's like Xbox Xbox Game Pass.

turtlepowa

Banned
If happen..in wich way a journalist can flip this news into a negative thing that is better to stay with an online paywall?
You will be surprised, people get really creative. I mean yesterday i thought that a 10 hour controller is not that good and that current gen controllers not working with next gen games is a bad thing. After a few hours on GAF i'm totally convinced this is the best thing ever happened to gamers. I also thought that Game Pass is a good thing for gamers, now i know it's the worst.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Cool, I thought it might be you. Welcome to GAF. It's Andy, in case you didn't recognize the avatar.

Nice to see you over here. I think it's a pretty good forum. There's a lot of discussion about a variety of things, and a wide range of opinions. The fanboys are gearing up as we get head into next-gen, so things get a little unhinged sometimes, but hey, it's a videogame forum.

Re. GAF resurgence:

Last edited:
It's the battle of the insiders.
  • Jeff Grub says their getting rid of charging online
  • Matt from Era & Brad Sams say they're rolling Live into Gamepass which would effectively increase the price of playing online.
  • Jez Corden says the second point above is not happening

Who knows at this point.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
  • Matt from Era & Brad Sams say they're rolling Live into Gamepass which would effectively increase the price of playing online.

Who knows at this point.

When they say they are rolling it in I took that as they are moving everyone on gold to GamePass.

Edit: I could also read that as Jez saying they will not charge you double.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned

Who knows at this point.

Jeff said "I think"

Jez said i don't know the plans, but he is sure you won't pay a double the price now

Brad sams also said : "my guess"

Only Matt said he heard something. LOL

jimbojim

Banned
S Self High Five

Just to add what Thurrott said too :

What will be replacing Xbox Live Gold? The logical conclusion is that GamePass will be the new way that you pay for online services from Microsoft. Does this mean that you will need to subscribe to GamePass instead of Live Gold?

Possibly, but keep in mind, Xbox Live Gold is $9.99 a month before discounts and GamePass is also $9.99 a month as well. Ultimate, which will include xCloud when it is publicly available, is $14.99 a month and also includes Games Pass on PC too. The point here is that this likely won’t cut out a significant amount of revenue from users migrating to the updated service.

Top Bottom