• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Raising Prices on New, First-Party Games Built for Xbox Series X|S to $70 in 2023

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
TL: DR of 15 pages thread:

News 2 years ago: Sony raises prices to 70 euro.
SonyGaf: Im willing to pay more for quality
MSGaf: price increase fucking sucks and other will sadly follow Sony since they get away with it.

*2 years later*
News: Microsoft raises game prices in 2023
MSGaf: sadly the expected outcome when Sony plus several other devs pulled it off and got away with it.
SonyGaf: Haha Microsoft you suck for raising prices

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
TL: DR of 15 pages thread:

News 2 years ago: Sony raises prices to 70 euro.
SonyGaf: Im willing to pay more for quality
MSGaf: price increase fucking sucks and other will sadly follow Sony since they get away with it.

*2 years later*
News: Microsoft raises game prices in 2023
MSGaf: sadly the expected outcome when Sony plus several other devs pulled it off and got away with it.
SonyGaf: Haha Microsoft you suck for raising prices
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As i remeber it. As soon MS launched the 360 they increased the price from 50 to 60.
They kept their first party games at $50 and allowed all the third parties to go to $60 (in which they did). It wasn't until Halo 3, the most anticipated game of all time for them at the time was about to launch, they knew they could get away with raising it to $60.

Halo 3 dropped with all the trimmings, like Forge, online and couch co-op (a staple in the series), better story, etc..

Halo 3 was GOAT Halo. Go back to Halo 3 formula, please.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
They’re basically sending a message to gamers saying put our games on layaway. I need game prices to go DOWN ($50-55) not up.

sainraja

You know it's a scam when only the "next-gen" versions of games are +10 bucks.
Seriously. It's all BS. God of War Ragnarok is on shelves at Walmart with the PS4 and PS5 versions directly next to each other. Different prices.
I would have preferred the prices to stay the same but before MS acknowledged it, some people got use to the idea of looking at it as a "Sony" thing.

It's funny or odd that people forget that this exact thing happened in the past when prices went up to $59.99. Now we try to look for qualifiers of certain features to justify the new cost but that really isn't going to work. I can't say the exact reason for why but it is likely the industry overall was looking at the future costs of game development and decided to raise it now at the start of the generation.

Let me remind everyone, Microsoft was also late to raise prices back then too. They had stated their first party games would stay $49.99 but that didn't last long.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The best thing about this news is, is that the drought is over boys! Where getting a bunch of new games from here on out! It's taken WAY longer than it should have, but all the layoffs and studio closures dating back to the 2008 recession, which resulted in lower first party output and long gaming droughts is finally over!

Last edited:
Top Bottom