• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q2 2022 earnings are out

TheGrat1

It actually could hurt MS as a business.

If people think Gamepass is losing money hand over fist other companies will be scared to buy into the model.

If MS proves they are making money hand over fist on the model thier competitors will come in sooner.

Its better for them to keep it as vague as possible, instead of paving the road and then sharing information to help make it easier for the competition.

This is one of those areas where you would like to disclose as little information as possible while you grow it.
You are right about this. When I said more information never hurt anyone I meant anyone the forums with no shares/input, thus there is no reason to push back against people asking for it.

Lognor

Banned
According to MS they have 25M subs, according to Sony they have ~47M Plus+~3M Now subs (which in a few months would be merged on a single service). Which is around 2X the subs.

Sony shares their 'network services' revenue (Plus+Now) of their gaming division (separated form Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc). As I remember it was around $900M in a quarter or so.

Even if you consider that these 25M GP subs have zero '3 PC GP free months' promotions bundled in other services or products, $1 first months/$1 Gold to GPU upgrade, cheaper sales via key stores, cheaper sales in certain countries and if you assume 100% of their subs pay the most expensive $15 tier, that there are many active Gold subs who don't want the $1 upgrade and that MS doesn't pay taxes for GP (which obviously these assumptions don't make sense at all, none of them are close to the reality) then they'd make $375M/month or $1.1B/quarter. So even in the fantasy world they barely they would get Sony sub numbers. Pretty likely MS doesn't make even the half or a third of that $1.1B/quarter.

According to CityGroup Sony gets from their 30% cut of everything related with CoD around $80-260M/year (which would mean around 1/3 of CoD series yearly revenue is made on PS, Acti said they make $3B/year).

$260M/year in revenue is around 1% of the $25B/year that the Sony gaming division generates.

Go to cry and lie somewhere else. Goodbye.
Again you're only talking about revenue from cod and not the loss of hardware sales and other software sales. It's a massive loss!

But you're also the one who said in the other thread that way max 10% of that cod audience leaves to go to xbox. 10% max. A number you pulled out of your ass. You aren't taken seriously pal

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine if game pass would come to modern TVs as streaming service. Microsoft wouldn't even care about their consoles anymore because player base would be gigantic.
I'm sure that's their game plan.

But I have no idea how easy it'd be to do top notch game streaming on a TV app. Sony did it though with PS Now apps on Sony TV years ago, so it's doable. But then they scrapped it, so maybe not as easy as it looks.

Lognor

Banned
I'm sure that's their game plan.

But I have no idea how easy it'd be to do top notch game streaming on a TV app. Sony did it though with PS Now apps on Sony TV years ago, so it's doable. But then they scrapped it, so maybe not as easy as it looks.
That's interesting. I never knew Sony had a ps now app on their tvs. That's brilliant. And I'm sure you could easily sync your ps4 controller to play. Wow if ps now wasn't such a shitty service it could have really taken off. Sony already had a strong foothold since they make their own tvs.

But things have gone down hill since then on the tv front. No vrr, no allm. Getting smoked on the gaming features by lg. Wtf is going on in their tv group?

I do wonder if Sony would allow a gamepass app on their tvs...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's interesting. I never knew Sony had a ps now app on their tvs. That's brilliant. And I'm sure you could easily sync your ps4 controller to play. Wow if ps now wasn't such a shitty service it could have really taken off. Sony already had a strong foothold since they make their own tvs.

But things have gone down hill since then on the tv front. No vrr, no allm. Getting smoked on the gaming features by lg. Wtf is going on in their tv group?

The thirst for sub plans on TVs was there years back. PS Now was even on Samsung TVs. Reading the article, it looks Sony even got it to work through BR players!

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

They removed it from TVs a long time ago.

Instead of growing the business, they decided to shrink it.

Vognerful

According to MS they have 25M subs, according to Sony they have ~47M Plus+~3M Now subs (which in a few months would be merged on a single service). Which is around 2X the subs.

Sony shares their 'network services' revenue (Plus+Now) of their gaming division (separated form Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc). As I remember it was around $900M in a quarter or so.

Even if you consider that these 25M GP subs have zero '3 PC GP free months' promotions bundled in other services or products, $1 first months/$1 Gold to GPU upgrade, cheaper sales via key stores, cheaper sales in certain countries and if you assume 100% of their subs pay the most expensive $15 tier, that there are many active Gold subs who don't want the $1 upgrade and that MS doesn't pay taxes for GP (which obviously these assumptions don't make sense at all, none of them are close to the reality) then they'd make $375M/month or $1.1B/quarter. So even in the fantasy world they barely they would get Sony sub numbers. Pretty likely MS doesn't make even the half or a third of that $1.1B/quarter.

According to CityGroup Sony gets from their 30% cut of everything related with CoD around $80-260M/year (which would mean around 1/3 of CoD series yearly revenue is made on PS, Acti said they make $3B/year).

$260M/year in revenue is around 1% of the $25B/year that the Sony gaming division generates.

Go to cry and lie somewhere else. Goodbye.
Again, that citigroup report has no source other than a mention in some weird website! The figures could go to 3 to 4 times that figure.

yurinka

Again, that citigroup report has no source other than a mention in some weird website! The figures could go to 3 to 4 times that figure.
Somewhere recently, at some point Activision that CoD made $3B in a year on all platforms. If we assume that PS made almost a third of it (it makes a lot of money on mobile), then a 30% of that would be these $260M. And pretty likely they said it on a year with maybe their record revenue or at least higher than usual, so maybe other years had less revenue. It doesn't sound as a crazy estimate to me.

MonarchJT

Banned
Somewhere recently, at some point Activision that CoD made $3B in a year on all platforms. If we assume that PS made almost a third of it (it makes a lot of money on mobile), then a 30% of that would be these $260M. And pretty likely they said it on a year with maybe their record revenue or at least higher than usual, so maybe other years had less revenue. It doesn't sound as a crazy estimate to me.
mobile did 1b
most of the rest come from playstation

Vognerful

Your estimates are way off.

The 3 billion dollars was only for 2020, 2021 was way bigger with Black ops cold war and Vanguard, but let's continue with the figure. As for mobile, here is monthly revenue of CoD mobile from activision and statista. for 2021, CoD mobile would probably generate 380 million usd revenue

Statista link

article on the same subject

uw7yU7L.jpg

This would leave 3.62 billion and assuming half of it is from Sony platforms (based on player base, or could be bigger), that is 1.31 billion.

Now I think I don't understand is when activision reports a game revenue, does it include the 30% for Sony? or not?

because that would vary between 390 million to 560 million to Sony. Free cash!

You number also ignores indirect revenue to Sony for gamers who are willing to pay for PS plus to play CoD or who prefer to invest in network subscription where they prefer to play multiplayer games. How money Sony customer would stop paying for PS plus because they can't play yearly CoD? 1 million? 2? 5? at 30 usd a year? (cheapest offer I know of)

Sony understood that! that is why they maded sure to have these exclusive marketing and deals with activision. why pay money for it if it was not going to matter at the end?

How many people are just on Gold and not Gamepass?, you've conveniently omitted that figure.
it's hilarious watching the mental gymnastics he performs in order to push his narrative. I think many people have simply blocked him. I've seen him make absolutely ridiculous claims that nobody even bothered to drop an emoji, much less actually respond to.

He's a warrior, I'll give him that. If Sony's not paying him, they should be.

yurinka

Your estimates are way off.

The 3 billion dollars was only for 2020, 2021 was way bigger with Black ops cold war and Vanguard, but let's continue with the figure. As for mobile, here is monthly revenue of CoD mobile from activision and statista. for 2021, CoD mobile would probably generate 380 million usd revenue
In 2021 it's known that Vanguard underperformed vs previous CoD games. In the PS Blog PSN rankings (a majority of PS sales are digital, not physial) It didn't get the top 1 spot for USA/CA or EU, in PS4 or PS5 for December or 2021. As an example in 2020 CoD got top 1 in 3 of these 4 rankings (missed in PS4 EU) and got top 1 in December 2019 too.

Back in May Activision announced that CoD Mobile achieved 500M downloads and $1B in revenue in a year and a half:

And it continues growing. Remember that before CoD Mobile and Warzone CoD was more like this:

Now I think I don't understand is when activision reports a game revenue, does it include the 30% for Sony? or not?
It depend what are they announced. When they announced what a game has generated in general, it includes both revenue shares. If they announce the revenue it generated for Activision (as in a fiscal report) then they don't include the platform holder revenue share.

You number also ignores indirect revenue to Sony for gamers who are willing to pay for PS plus to play CoD or who prefer to invest in network subscription where they prefer to play multiplayer games.
Ok let's say that instead of generating directly around $1% of the yearly revenue that Sony earns in the PS game division revenue every year with all the CoD content (which would include CoD games included in PS Plus or Now if it would be the case), they indirectly generate more like requiring PS Plus for the online, and that since these users buy an average of over 14 games per console a portion of these paid for that year fees would be because of CoD. Let's say that instead of up to around $1% is up to $1.1%, or even $1.5% if you want, or even 2%. It' still a tiny portion of their PS game division yearly revenue.

How money Sony customer would stop paying for PS plus because they can't play yearly CoD? 1 million? 2? 5? at 30 usd a year? (cheapest offer I know of)
On average PS players buy over 14 games for console and CoD only generates around 1% of their revenue, and each yearly CoD game (which sales around 20-30M total in all 3 platforms) is bought by around 10% of their PS active userbase. I estimated that around half of these are on PS, so each game would sell around 10-15M copies on PS.

If CoD would leave PS, according toActivision, Microsoft and Spencer which wouldn't, I estimate that a majority of these 10-15M users would continue on PS (so paying Plus) because there are more games on PS they like to play, maybe don't care to play other games instead or aren't big fans of CoD and simply bought it via Sony's marketing deal ads (special featuring in the store/PS event/PS youtube channel/PS tv ad/PS blog etc) so if CoD would leave it would get replaced by some other games he may like and buy in the future. The players who would remain in PS buying Plus if CoD would include a big majority of those who also have an Xbox or PC gaming in addition to a PS, so they would play CoD elsewhere but would continue playing other games on PS. So I estimate that under 3-5M (a third of these CoD PS players who buy a yearly CoD) would leave.

Let's be very generous say 5M leave for CoD (not the case at all) and that ALL of them pay $50/year for Plus (not the case at all) instead because don't live in countries where it's cheaper/they didn't use any discount or promotion/they weren't using free Plus promotions/didn't buy it dirt cheap in cd key stores (not the case at all), and that Sony doesn't pay any taxes for PSN, and that doesn't have transactions costs, and that doesn't have refunds or chargebacks. So being totally unrealistically generous, that would bee $250M, 1% of their Game Division yearly revenue. Being more realistic pretty likely would be way under half of that. To put $250M PS Plus yearly revenue in context, they make almost $1B/quarter in their game division's 'network services' (Plus+Now).

Sony understood that! that is why they maded sure to have these exclusive marketing and deals with activision. why pay money for it if it was not going to matter at the end?
Sony pays marketing deals to dozens of 3rd party games released every year. Multiple games released per month. They market their console by mostly showcasing its multi and exclusive games, because the revenue they get from games, specially 3rd party games. Sales split between thousands of games. I assume focused their marketing deals on those games they estimated would generate more revenue, so obviously CoD was one of their priority every year.

But at the same time, since they generate $25B/year, the revenue of each individual game, even the top ones, represents a very small part of it since the top selling games (with I assume the exceptions of F2P, Minecraft and GTAV) for their console sold maybe around 15M copies each on PS4 while all games combined sold over 1700M games (so again, under a 1% of the total).

Obviously Sony would prefer to keep CoD or any other big seller on PS (and their publisher too) but if one of them leave Sony won't go bankrupt or something like that. They will simply spend their marketing deals with someone else, their division will continue growing and they won't barely lose marketshare or market volume if that happens.

But again, these are only assumptions because MS still has to release a single Xbox exclusive game from the big seller (on PS) IPs they purchased from Mojang, Zenimax or ABK and they said they plan to do the same with ABK and to continue supporting these -already existing on non-MS consoles- big communities on these consoles, Spencer specifically mentioned that want to keep CoD on PS and MS+ABK mentioned Miinecraft as example of this, plus even the top 1 Sony haters, liers and FUD spreaders that are Bloomberg mentiioned that at least the next 3 CoD games would be on PS.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Sony has around 2x gaming subs subscribers than MS and generates even a bigger proportion of revenue, plus also has way lower costs for these subscriptions so are way more profitable.

On top of that Sony has 2x the console userbase (selling at gaming history records even if constrained by the chips issue), highly engaged and buying more games per console than any other console in gaming hisotry, which allows them to have more revenue from gaming mostly thanks to the 30% cut they get from the shit ton of games/dlc/mtx sold for their console.

Xbox always has been known for hiding and twisting all the metrics that didn't look good, to a point that it's pretty hard to know the performance of not XCloud, but the whole Gamepass. They never shared a single number about the amount of people that uses Xcloud, or at least GP Ultimate. So could even be a total flop with 3 people using it. If they would have a higher number than their competition they would have bragged about it, and isn't the case.

We have no idea of how Xcloud it's performing but we can assume than worse than their direct competitor. And what we know is that they spend over $80B on purchased companies to provide content, plus additional minor acquisitions and smaller 3rd party deals to put games on GP. Which combined with the server (meaning, between other things paying a shit ton of electricity and internet) costs of cloud gaming lead us to think it isn't a pretty profitable deal at least for now.

If you're talking about business and not about magic yes, it's about raw mumbers: revenue, profit, userbase, market share, growth, amount of appealing IPs and teams, etc. MS spents dozens of billions to acquire important IPs and teams because by themselves couldn't compete with their own weapons. Now adding the revenue of ABK (if they don't remove the revenue they get from PS) at least they will be able to compete in revenue, IPs and teams and will help to increase the game subs to see if they reach Sony in that front.

In consoles they continue being 3 players and MS continues being the 3r one in all fronts. In PC and mobile there are a ton of key players and MS recently purchased the position of being one of them on PC and mobile.

Wow their stock must be tanking.

And im sure their CEO and board are running from xbox and gamepass as fast as they can.

Orrrr you don't know what ur talking about.

Could go either way i guess.

Vognerful

In 2021 it's known that Vanguard underperformed vs previous CoD games. In the PS Blog PSN rankings (a majority of PS sales are digital, not physial) It didn't get the top 1 spot for USA/CA or EU, in PS4 or PS5 for December or 2021. As an example in 2020 CoD got top 1 in 3 of these 4 rankings (missed in PS4 EU) and got top 1 in December 2019 too.
You are again being misleading here:

1) yes it did not take #1 in US & EU; it took #2 to both areas as it fell behind NBA 2K22 & Fifa22 respectively. However, those games faired way worse in other regions. This would easily make CoD the best selling game of 2022

2) While indeed PS5 games are sold mainly as digital, I believe latest figures shows 70:30 split between digital to physical sales which would affect the blog post findings.

3) Vanguard was still the highest selling game as per NPD for 2021. that means it sold in 1 month way more than what blacks sold in the last 12 months.

mgjtjkQ.jpg

Lastly, here is the quarter revenue reports for activation. In every quarter of 2021, they got more revenue than corresponding quarter of 2020, pending last quarter. Even if Vanguard underperformed its predecessor, they only 1.35 billion in revenue to beat 2020 records. Something look really easy to do.

Wtj68sO.jpg

Back in May Activision announced that CoD Mobile achieved 500M downloads and $1B in revenue in a year and a half:

And it continues growing. Remember that before CoD Mobile and Warzone CoD was more like this:

Did you just pretend that warzone and modern warfare released in 2020, making them one of the biggest releases in the franchise? While CoD mobile numbers are great, they are no where near as mentioned.

I have to call your first link bullshit here (again). The last official source on the revenue is of end of September 2020 at 500 million USD. So excuse me for not believe that it was able to make 1 billion in 6 months. The websites mention the story is not providing a reference to trace it (your source says it is from blizzard filing but it is not mentioned there, another says it is from Timi Tweet but it only talks about 500 million download)

But again, these are only assumptions because MS still has to release a single Xbox exclusive game from the big seller (on PS) IPs they purchased from Mojang, Zenimax or ABK and they said they plan to do the same with ABK and to continue supporting these -already existing on non-MS consoles- big communities on these consoles, Spencer specifically mentioned that want to keep CoD on PS and MS+ABK mentioned Miinecraft as example of this, plus even the top 1 Sony haters, liers and FUD spreaders that are Bloomberg mentiioned that at least the next 3 CoD games would be on PS.

Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

yurinka

You are again being misleading here:

1) yes it did not take #1 in US & EU; it took #2 to both areas as it fell behind NBA 2K22 & Fifa22 respectively. However, those games faired way worse in other regions. This would easily make CoD the best selling game of 2022
I am not misleading, we don't know the total global numbers even if we ignore F2P games that aren't covered in this list.

2) While indeed PS5 games are sold mainly as digital, I believe latest figures shows 70:30 split between digital to physical sales which would affect the blog post findings.
I think these PSN rankings obviously aren't perfect because even if they don't over around 30% of the PS global revenue from countries not included there, and doesn't included the 30-40% what are the digital sales, and doesn't include DLC/microtransactions/season passes/etc., these rankings are the most representative rankings we have.

3) Vanguard was still the highest selling game as per NPD for 2021. that means it sold in 1 month way more than what blacks sold in the last 12 months.
USA is only ~30% of the global PS game sales, and retail are ~30-40% of PS game sales. NPD isn't representative of global sales.

Lastly, here is the quarter revenue reports for activation. In every quarter of 2021, they got more revenue than corresponding quarter of 2020, pending last quarter. Even if Vanguard underperformed its predecessor, they only 1.35 billion in revenue to beat 2020 records. Something look really easy to do.

Wtj68sO.jpg
If their revenue grows and Vanguard underperformed, I assue CoD Mobile and Warzone grew. I don't know if this graph also covers Blizzard and King, if it's the case maybe they are the ones growing.

Did you just pretend that warzone and modern warfare released in 2020, making them one of the biggest releases in the franchise? While CoD mobile numbers are great, they are no where near as mentioned.

I have to call your first link bullshit here (again). The last official source on the revenue is of end of September 2020 at 500 million USD. So excuse me for not believe that it was able to make 1 billion in 6 months. The websites mention the story is not providing a reference to trace it (your source says it is from blizzard filing but it is not mentioned there, another says it is from Timi Tweet but it only talks about 500 million download)
I don't pretend anything, I only shown you factual data. CoD is supposed to make $3B/year, and we know CoD Mobile made 500M users and $1B on its first year and a half.

This data is from Pocket Gamer, the most serious and important gaming media website, and they are quoting official Activision data. I'm the one posting this is factual objective data, the truth. If you reject without countering with factual, objective data, then you're the one posting bullshit prefering to believe fantasies over the truth.

Vognerful

This data is from Pocket Gamer, the most serious and important gaming media website, and they are quoting official Activision data. I'm the one posting this is factual objective data, the truth. If you reject without countering with factual, objective data, then you're the one posting bullshit prefering to believe fantasies over the truth.
Cat Kitten GIF

Enjoy your "facts" then

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Anyone that thought that was in denial. Also shows they don’t need to put it on any other platforms, they dont need the money like that.
Its all for their gamepass future
Imagine never having to buy a cod again and get it day 1 together annually with many more games on game pass.
mXIcYtIs_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Cat Kitten GIF

Enjoy your "facts" then
If you think Activision lies when reporting the amount of users that their game has and how much revenue does it generate, and that you have more accurate and real data than them I'd be happy to receive it and see these sources. Their investors too.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
TBH I didnt really buy any COD games, last one I bought was Infinite Warfare and it was 2nd hand, which I enjoyed. I do like the zombie mode too lol
I bought every cod up to mw19, and got fatigued because mw19 was good and didn't believe in the games after that.

I would love to get it through game pass because the online is unmatched.

And many seems to agree.

I'm just hyped over game pass. Started a few days ago and are loving it.

Reactions: Isa

Vognerful

If you think Activision lies when reporting the amount of users that their game has and how much revenue does it generate, and that you have more accurate and real data than them I'd be happy to receive it and see these sources. Their investors too.
Are you lying to me right now? again?

Because this is what I said

have to call your first link bullshit here (again). The last official source on the revenue is of end of September 2020 at 500 million USD. So excuse me for not believe that it was able to make 1 billion in 6 months. The websites mention the story is not providing a reference to trace it (your source says it is from blizzard filing but it is not mentioned there, another says it is from Timi Tweet but it only talks about 500 million download)
I will repeat it again so that you understand what I am trying to say: I am questioning the website that CLAIMS that activision announced that CoD mobile earned 1 billion in the timeline the article is posted. I am repeating that I could not find a source from activision announcing the news about the 1 billion in revenue, and I did not object on the 500 milion downloads.

But since you are taking it as if I am calling activision bullshit, I will now assume that you are personally taking credit for the article.

here is the link again for the source you linked, posted in 19th May 2021,

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/76470/call-of-duty-mobile-500-million-downloads-1-billion-revenue/

here is the first paragraph from your article:

As part of its financial filings, Activision Blizzard has announced that Call of Duty: Mobile has been downloaded 500 million times, and generated over $1 billion in revenue.

You are claiming that activision announced that CoD Mobile earned 1 billion in total revenue in 19 months

Here is Activision Blizzard Fianacial report of 1st, 2nd & 3rd quarter

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/08d2aa4a-9dff-4714-9e17-f3673259c3ce

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/b4b48cc7-cab4-43cb-9327-661f0d0b2d8b

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/1efeeabe-25b6-4eb3-b52e-3ed8088d2107

WE know from official activision sources that CoD mobile earned 500 million in the first 12 months it was released (October 2019 to September 2020); then you are claiming that in 7 months it earned 500 million (from october 2020 till may 2021). Go through these official reports between January and September 2021 ( a 9 months period), the mobile and ancillary (merchandise) revenue was 455 millions only. So you have some justification to make.

yurinka

Are you lying to me right now? again?
You are claiming that activision announced that CoD Mobile earned 1 billion in total revenue in 19 months
Seems you need therapy or at least to learn to be more humble, start to accept factual data and improve your Google skills.

I am not claiming anything, I'm forwarding official, factual data provided by Activision. Specifically their president, who is the one who said to their investors back in May 2021 that CoD Mobile made over $1B in revenue and 500M downloads (in 19 months). Pocket Gamer aren't the only ones who reported it back then, if you use google you'll see Venture Beat, Gamespot, The Verge and many other ones also did it.

If you want to get the original source, VB says regarding CoD Mobile: "The mobile game has also brought in over $1 billion in player spending, said Activision president Rob Kostich during today’s (May 4, 2021) earnings call of parent company Activision Blizzard." https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/call-of-duty-mobile-has-crossed-500-million-downloads-and-1-billion-in-player-spending/

So if you go to the ABK IR page you can get their May 4, 2021 earnings call:
https://investor.activision.com/eve...quarter-calendar-2021-results-conference-call
Then you get there the transcription of that earnings call and search "500" you'll find that in page 12 Rob Kostich mentions this:
https://investor.activision.com/static-files/bf2afa0f-b01a-47dd-8a55-c38d63ec92a3

image.png

Last edited:

Vognerful

Seems you need therapy or at least to learn to be more humble, start to accept factual data and improve your Google skills.

I am not claiming anything, I'm forwarding official, factual data provided by Activision. Specifically their president, who is the one who said to their investors back in May 2021 that CoD Mobile made over $1B in revenue and 500M downloads (in 19 months). Pocket Gamer aren't the only ones who reported it back then, if you use google you'll see Venture Beat, Gamespot, The Verge and many other ones also did it.

If you want to get the original source, VB says regarding CoD Mobile: "The mobile game has also brought in over $1 billion in player spending, said Activision president Rob Kostich during today’s (May 4, 2021) earnings call of parent company Activision Blizzard." https://venturebeat.com/2021/05/04/call-of-duty-mobile-has-crossed-500-million-downloads-and-1-billion-in-player-spending/

So if you go to the ABK IR page you can get their May 4, 2021 earnings call:
https://investor.activision.com/eve...quarter-calendar-2021-results-conference-call
Then you get there the transcription of that earnings call and search "500" you'll find that in page 12 Rob Kostich mentions this:
https://investor.activision.com/static-files/bf2afa0f-b01a-47dd-8a55-c38d63ec92a3

image.png
Investment, not revenue

Vognerful

Yes, he says players invested 1 Billioin on it. 1 Billion of US Dollars, money. Not 1 Billion peanuts.
So what exactly is player investment? Generally, this refers to the way in which a player is connected to the outcome of the game. The term player in this sense does not even necessarily have to be someone actually involved in the playing of the game, for it can also be a spectator who happens to have some reason to be invested too - for example, because they are betting on the outcome. But the players involved in the game itself are obviously invested because they each want to win - even in co-operative games where they are working together to win out over circumstance.

So betting and other stuff, not net revenue.

yurinka

So betting and other stuff, not net revenue.
Stop the bullshit. He clearly meant that players spent $1B on it, or generated with ads (I don't know which kind of monetization does have). So game revenue. I don't know if you did read the article you posted but has nothing to do with what he was talking about.

He's in a conference call talking about how many players and how much money a game made, he isn't talking about UX something that I assume no fucking idea about what it is, and obviously it isn't something measured in dollars.

Last edited:
Top Bottom