• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Publishes 1999 Letter From Failed Attempt To Buy Nintendo

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Over 20 years ago, as Microsoft was gearing up to release the original Xbox, some at the company were concerned that they wouldn’t have enough games to accompany the console at launch. So someone had the bright idea to try to buy Nintendo. Problem solved.

Only catch was that Nintendo, as we learned earlier this year, “laughed their asses off.” Kevin Bachus, Microsoft’s former director of third-party relations for Xbox, summed up the meeting:

Steve [Ballmer, Microsoft’s former CEO] made us go meet with Nintendo to see if they would consider being acquired. They just laughed their asses off. Like, imagine an hour of somebody just laughing at you. That was kind of how that meeting went.

Ruthless. Anyway! It’s all water under the bridge in 2021, and in keeping with the spirit of looking back, Microsoft used its 20th anniversary memorial site to release some primary evidence of the attempted purchase. It features the (partial) publication of this 1999 letter from vice president Rick Thompson to Nintendo of America.

It’s ruined slightly by the enormous text splashed across the middle, but we can read enough around the edges to get the tone. “I understand Mr. Takeda’s concerns,” is certainly an understatement given Nintendo’s ultimate reaction, and Microsoft offering to help “make Dolphin the best video game [console]” is an interesting one, and not as absurd as it first sounds. The original Xbox and GameCube (Dolphin was its codename) would go on to be very different experiences.

We can also see down the bottom the two people Microsoft would be meeting with; long-time Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi and hardware legend Genyo Takeda. I’m not sure if those two were present when asses were laughed off, but I want to believe Yamauchi was, stifling a chuckle in the corner like a true statesman.

24538f20353c0880753b48c799a5dbe8.jpg

Now I want to see a Ninty reply in ALL CAPS. Can you all caps an emoji?

That's childish, perhaps just Mario giving the bird would have sufficed all those years ago.

c4f4cd42d4dd22ba86a01d11b8f19c47.jpg

DaGwaphics

It reads like it's fake. But then it was included as an exhibit in the virtual museum. 🤷‍♂️

The documentary will be super interesting.

Gamerguy84

I had never heard of this lmao. But wanting to buy fucking Nintendo because they were wanting to launch a console is huge. MS really likes to write checks.

Saber

Gold Member
Nintendo could even distribute clown outfits for them for free at the exit. Well deserved.

kiphalfton

Okay... but how much was the offer. That crappy screenshot doesn't tell me anything, since it's splashed across 1/2 the note.

onesvenus

One other interesting trivia fact is that they were supposedly really close to buy square but when the signing was going to take place,. Square asked for double the price. That would have been a tremendous way to enter the videogame business

MrFunSocks

Banned
The Xbox Museum is an absolutely fantastic idea. I'm going to spend a fair bit of time having a look around it and reading all the things.

I'm glad Nintendo said no as now we have both MS and Nintendo in the market.

I had never heard of this lmao. But wanting to buy fucking Nintendo because they were wanting to launch a console is huge. MS really likes to write checks.
The video game industry is probably one of the hardest to get in to, so trying to buy one was without question the smartest move. Even today google can't get a foot in the door with all their money, amazon seem to be on the same level of success, and probably the one with the best chance of entering - Apple - seem very hesitant because of how big of money sink it is and how hard it is to crack because of all the fanboy loyalties. MS has been in the industry for 20 years and still struggle to even sell half of the competition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom