• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Preserving classic games is 'more important than ever'

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm pretty aware that there are license hurdles to overcome and that , that, compared to the tech side, it's the hard part. But that has always been the case, it's not new and never stopped any company to attempting BC.

What's changed is the bias towards digital distribution as the main delivery mechanism and mode of consumption. Don't mistake MS' requirement for an online connection to be incidental, its absolutely central to why they've invested so heavily in BC.

They are revisiting these games in order to sell them digitally, both as individual purchases and as value-adds for their service offerings. This isn't a knock on what they are doing -in exactly the same way my comment that its actually not preservation but recycling is not meant as a criticism- just to point out its strategic function in their business plan.

Sony's traditional approach to BC was to physically incorporate the previous gen's hardware allowing the user to simply pop their old discs into the drive and play. This is no longer desirable for them or IP owners of the re-published works, because both need to also be able to offer them digitally in today's marketplace.

Think about it, the only business beneficiary of physical media being supported via BC are after-market vendors. In an environment where digital sales make up the majority of units sold, and even hardware that has no optical drive, its a hard investment to justify without the potential for new sales.

Zeroing

Banned
Agree and this coming from a company who has the lesser legacy out of the 3. Damn Sony, what is you doing.
Sony? Making new games like they always did. I guess! So as Nintendo.

Going off topic.

MS is busy making noise like they always been doing!
the narrative shifts so much, from the exclusives don’t sell consoles, indies are not important, we will have the biggest E3 ever...the infamous “we will kill Sony”
I see a pattern here.

Nintendo and Sony do a lot of crap but we do not see those companies trying so hard for people’s attention/pitty

Keihart

What's changed is the bias towards digital distribution as the main delivery mechanism and mode of consumption. Don't mistake MS' requirement for an online connection to be incidental, its absolutely central to why they've invested so heavily in BC.

They are revisiting these games in order to sell them digitally, both as individual purchases and as value-adds for their service offerings. This isn't a knock on what they are doing -in exactly the same way my comment that its actually not preservation but recycling is not meant as a criticism- just to point out its strategic function in their business plan.

Sony's traditional approach to BC was to physically incorporate the previous gen's hardware allowing the user to simply pop their old discs into the drive and play. This is no longer desirable for them or IP owners of the re-published works, because both need to also be able to offer them digitally in today's marketplace.

Think about it, the only business beneficiary of physical media being supported via BC are after-market vendors. In an environment where digital sales make up the majority of units sold, and even hardware that has no optical drive, its a hard investment to justify without the potential for new sales.
This is obviously anecdotal but i think that most people would be ok with only digital library being BC even if the physical isn't, the physical games don't get more available by BC but digital ones surely do since those are tied to systems and stores that can stop being supported at some point.

I've never made a point about BC in physical games being the problem here, if you own a PS3 disc that disc will keep working until your drive or disc die, but digital it's directly tied to the system support, there no after market either.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I thought that's a mendorium of understanding, not an official deal. Please show me where on ps now it currently says "powered by azure."

It can be powered by azure in the future for sure but I don't think that meeting meant much other than they're looking into it possibly.

Honestly I think that day was the day the sony ceo sold the PlayStation brand because it's all been downhill since

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
LMFAO, you do realize Microsoft is one of the world leaders when it comes to servers? Ever heard of Azure? You sure must have since the streaming part of PS Now runs on it entirely. They own the thing, in the grand scale of things Xbox Live only takes a tiny portion of Azure, they have absolutely no reason at all to take anything Xbox related down, they don't rent server space like Sony does, they own their own infrastructure.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Going off topic.

the narrative shifts so much, from the exclusives don’t sell consoles, indies are not important, we will have the biggest E3 ever...the infamous “we will kill Sony”
I see a pattern here.

Nintendo and Sony do a lot of crap but we do not see those companies trying so hard for people’s attention/pitty
Your legacy is important. It should not be relegated to ebay for me to get The Resistance Trilogy, I should be able to buy it digitally by the console manufacturer on its store ESPECIALLY when you are selling people a digital only next gen console. See, this is what happens when you rush and slap dash your psn network back in 2006/2007.
Also lol Sony did the whole this is how you share your games back in the e3 ps4 reveal is way more attention seeking than anything ms has ever done.

KAL2006

Banned
I agree. And it's upsetting both Sony and Nintendo don't get this. In fact their old games are leagues ahead of Xbox games library it's a shame to just let it go to waste. I'm not even talking about popular games like God of War and Ocarina of Time. I'm talking about gems like Suikoden and Eternal Darkness. These systems should be easy to emulate as hobbyist have emulators out already for everything before Wii running at full speed with higher resolution.

Zeroing

Banned
Your legacy is important. It should not be relegated to ebay for me to get The Resistance Trilogy, I should be able to buy it digitally by the console manufacturer on its store ESPECIALLY when you are selling people a digital only next gen console. See, this is what happens when you rush and slap dash your psn network back in 2006/2007.
Also lol Sony did the whole this is how you share your games back in the e3 ps4 reveal is way more attention seeking than anything ms has ever done.
Is it important now because MS said it?
Because when they told everyone it wasn’t important, Nintendo and Sony were releasing the games and remasters, most were saying it was a way to milk stupid fanboys....

so... I get confused when people’s opinions change like the wind.

know history my friend! Sony did that funny thing because MS wanted Xbox console to be always online with the excuse you could share your games without the need of lending your disk!
Everyone was scared Sony would do the same thing!

So the lesson is, history repeats and do not trust what any company goes on the internet saying.
No one is the “good guy”

DJ12

"Microsoft: Preserving classic games is 'more important than ever'"

And yet I cannot buy or play midtown madness anymore. Go figure.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
At least you're consistent. I mean you're wrong and there's no way I could agree with you but it's good to see someone around here being consistent.

Data says otherwise.

Honestly, these conversations always play out the same.

Me: "Look at the data. No one plays old games. We have so many good sources to look at."

Someone: "But I play old games so you're wrong."

Me: "Ok..."

To each their own. But objectively, old games are bad.

Barakov

Gold Member
Data says otherwise.

Me: "Look at the data. No one plays old games. We have so many good sources to look at."

Sounds pretty subjective, tbh. But like you said to each their own. Agree to disagree.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So the lesson is, history repeats and do not trust what any company goes on the internet saying.
No one is the “good guy”
Isn't that common sense? Obviously, no one is the good guy, but videogame preservation is important for cultural reasons alone, and Microsoft backing it is a good move by them that I will support, and it's not wrong to admit that. Even the bad guy does something good every once in a while.

Going off topic.

I see a pattern here.

I am just curious. Do you have a link where MS came out stating they were going to 'kill Sony'? They promote their products like all companies do but I don't recall seeing them mention Sony or Nintendo unless its to something positive. Phil Spencer says nice things about Nintendo all the time. Even the Twitter comment shown isn't attacking anyone.

Data says otherwise.

How many years is it gonna take before Fortnite is suddenly trash? Year 9 its amazing, but once it crosses that 10 year mark its gonna be trash am I right?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Allstars 3D sold over 5 million copies. Crash and Spyro got remastered and were the most successful titles those franchises had in a long time. There are countless reboots and remakes of classic franchises. A huge chunk of the indie scene is based around delivering retro experiences. Not to mention titles like Sonic Mania, Street of Rage IV, Wonderboy, etc.

How many times has Capcom re-released Resident Evil Remake, Zero, and RE4? They still sell great and do numbers.

Those are all titles that are old games (in form of remakes and remasters) or are based on old games.

No matter how you cut it, old games are important for the industry too especially because new games often take a lot of inspiration from them.
Also, preservation has cultural reasons that shouldn't be swept under the table.

It ages as competitors come to market.

The industry builds upon itself.
It really doesn't, what current games build upon SSX? The last snowboarding game we got was that trash Steep game Ubisoft put out. What games build upon Fight Night? The closest thing is those janky ass UFC games. I don't even need to talk about the state of current WWE games. Did Ninja Gaiden 3 build upon 1 and 2? What build upon, Burnout, F Zero GX, Star Fox, etc. there's plenty of experiences that are simply gone from modern gaming. Not to mention there's plenty of series where the old games are way better than what's being put out now like Halo or Sonic.

Last edited:
Well let’s see if they release classics like Blur, Tony Hawks 3, PGR4 and SSX Tricky for backwards compatibility so we can play these games again.
PGR4 is one of my favorite racing games ever made but car licensing will probably keep that game in the cemetery for a long time. Really anything with really complicated licensing might be difficult to get into the program.

OCD Guy

This is great news if you like to play old games.

For me though I buy a new console for new games.

Playing old games is like buying a 4K tv and connecting a VCR player to it and watching old films.

If you want to spend hundreds of dollars/pounds on the latest console to play old games then you do you, but why not just keep your old consoles?

Also I swear down that this backwards compatibility chat ALWAYS happens at the start of the gen. I remember people getting excited at PS2 games on the OG PS3 at launch lol.

Then people were outraged when Sony removed the functionality on PS3 revisions, then a year later and most people didn’t care....They were talking about uncharted, last of us, etc

This is smoke and mirrors by Microsoft. You think they spent billions on Zenimax to give you old games? And you think they were so focused on having “the most powerful console” to play old games too?! They’ll be pushing their NEW exclusive games soon enough...

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

It seems Xbox has a different and opposite philosophy to Ryan and PlayStation when it comes to previous generations. I much prefer the Xbox philosophy. I'm still playing and enjoying so many of the games from the 360 era instead of begging for remakes in order to be able play great games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect or Dead Space.

Maybe what Ryan meant when he said "we believe in generations" was let's pretend previous generations never existed.
Too true. I've never owned or really played on Xbox before and this philosophy is going to drive me to buy a series x whenever they become widely available. PS and Nintendo have been frustrating as a fan for a while now

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Mario Allstars 3D sold over 5 million copies. Crash and Spyro got remastered and were the most successful titles those franchises had in a long time. There are countless reboots and remakes of classic franchises. A huge chunk of the indie scene is based around delivering retro experiences. Not to mention titles like Sonic Mania, Street of Rage IV, Wonderboy, etc.

How many times has Capcom re-released Resident Evil Remake, Zero, and RE4? They still sell great and do numbers.

Those are all titles that are old games (in form of remakes and remasters) or are based on old games.

No matter how you cut it, old games are important for the industry too especially because new games often take a lot of inspiration from them.
Also, preservation has cultural reasons that shouldn't be swept under the table.

I agree with most of this.

But Mario All Stars is a nastolgia sell. They're games parents buy for their children.

Remove the IP, keep everything else, and that package sells a fraction of what it did.

OCD Guy

Old movies are also on Bluray or available digitally to watch on a 4k TV. Preservation isn't about connecting an old device to a new one.
But people aren’t necessarily wanting enhanced versions.

A blu-ray release generally has better image quality.

People always say how they want a virtual console of N64 for example.

There are many that would just want Sony to allow you to play EVERY ps2 game as they were in their original form. It’s that sort of thing that doesn’t appeal to me personally. Even if the console up scaled and enhanced the frame rate.

I’m all for the likes of remakes and remasters. I’m just not interested in seeing games how they were on release.

Even putting old games to one side, I don’t tend to like those 2d pixel style games that look like they came fresh off a NES. I buy the latest hardware to be blown away by visuals.

It’s not that I’m a graphics whore as I own and enjoy my Switch, but the same principle applies there. I want to play Breath of the wild, not Zelda on NES virtual console. I was all in for Links Awakening though when that released in switch.

Anyway as I said in my last post I genuinely believe in 18 months barely anyone will be taking about this. They’ll be focused on new games that have released or will be releasing soon.

Surely no one is desperately trying to buy a series x to play their old games? It’s just a bonus right? I’m playing PS4 games that have had 60fps patches but that’s only because there’s not much new out until returnal and ratchet.

Last edited:

Three

Yeah MS is really doing a fantastic job with game preservation.
It's a shame that they seem to be the only console maker that cares about this stuff. Sony basically just pretends like nothing existed before the Ps4, and Nintendo isn't much better with their "we can rent you a small selection of games" approach.
They have a different philosophy. They have invested and recreated most of the popular games from the past. They haven't done anything to play old discs anymore though.

Last edited:

SegaShack

If not for the overheating issues the BC PS3 would be the best Sony system, 3 generations of systems in one.

It's bullshit theyre closing the store.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But people aren’t necessarily wanting enhanced versions.

A blu-ray release generally has better image quality.
If they don't want enhanced versions then why do re-releases of old movies keep coming?

The point of preservation is to make old media and art available for future generations and to document our culture.
You don't want a world without the preservation of old art and media. It would be like erasing a part of history for selfish reasons.
What would be even the point of collecting and getting a library going if all people only care about the latest hype beast?

I like the new stuff as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't negate the past that helped to build it.

theclaw135

Banned
Sony just doesn't care anymore. Both PS2 and PS3 played 90~95% of original PS1 discs, on day one. No fees attached, no internet connection required.

Last edited:

OCD Guy

If they don't want enhanced versions then why do re-releases of old movies keep coming?

The point of preservation is to make old media and art available for future generations and to document our culture.
You don't want a world without the preservation of old art and media. It would be like erasing a part of history for selfish reasons.
What would be even the point of collecting and getting a library going if all people only care about the latest hype beast?

I like the new stuff as much as the next guy, but we shouldn't negate the past that helped to build it.

Sorry I should have tried explaining what I meant better by “People aren’t necessarily wanting enchanted versions”.

I was making a comment about many people on forums who complain about a lack of backwards compatibility. These people are asking for the ability to play games as they were on release.

So Bob (random internet guy) complains that he wants to be able to play every Ratchet and Clank game from the PS2 on his PS5. He’s not saying he wants it enhanced in anyway just the ability to play it.

That doesn’t interest me at all personally. I’d prefer the likes of the 2016 remake that released and what Insomiac did the other day with the 60fps update over playing the original release.

I bought a PS5 to play Rift Apart not a PS2 version.

I’m not against preservation, it literally doesn’t effect me. If Sony suddenly let everyone play every PlayStation game through emulation on the PS5 then fine, I’d just ignore it.

I just think some people on forums are using Microsoft’s stance as a “win” in the console war and I genuinely believe those same people won’t even care in 18months time.

I also don’t believe that Joe Consumer who buys a next gen console is buying it to play old call of duty games. He wants the latest release to play online.

I get people are different, but are people excited to play the original halo on their series X or Halo infinite?

I’ve seen the post about “billions of hours” played on older games on Microsoft consoles but I’d love to get an insight on how that split is on the latest Xbox consoles. I’d be shocked if people playing old Xbox games games on their Series X have accrued more hours than the likes of Call of Duty, Fifa and GTA.

Last edited:
I do not think so, why you should need an infrastructure to bring back ps classics that already exist? Why should be money an issue for a division that is breaking its own profit records year after year? I do not think you are making yourself the right questions.
Sony is several laps behind on their BC/ Gamepass offerings compared to Xnet. They haven't spent years putting their platform together working out the details with developers and publishers to build their ecosystem. Can they? Sure, but they are dragging ass and it shows.

At the start of last gen, playstation nation was eulogizing BC and now they are begging SONY to catch up. The shuttering of the PS3 and VITA storefronts surely hasnt inspired confidence they are for the players like Xbox.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Can I play Jet Set Radio Future on Xcloud yet? I'll subscribe for a month to play through it again.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It really doesn't, what current games build upon SSX? The last snowboarding game we got was that trash Steep game Ubisoft put out. What games build upon Fight Night? The closest thing is those janky ass UFC games. I don't even need to talk about the state of current WWE games. Did Ninja Gaiden 3 build upon 1 and 2? What build upon, Burnout, F Zero GX, Star Fox, etc. there's plenty of experiences that are simply gone from modern gaming. Not to mention there's plenty of series where the old games are way better than what's being put out now like Halo or Sonic.

What games build on SSX?

SSX Tricky, SSX 3, SSX Blur, SSX 2012, Shaun White Snowboarding, Steep...

What games built upon Ninja Gaiden?

The Devil May Cry franchise, The Boyonetta franchise, MG Rising, GoW...

What games built upon Burnout?

The rest of the Burnout games, Forza Horizon, Drive Club, NFS, Wreckfest, The Crew...

So yes, the industry builds on itself. You might not like all the advancements but there's a pretty distinct lineage with all the games you mentioned.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I was making a comment about many people on forums who complain about a lack of backwards compatibility. These people are asking for the ability to play games as they were on release.
...but how is that a bad thing?
See, not everyone wants 10 different systems hooked up to their TVs, especially when it's not necessary. When I want to play Silent Hill 3 for example, I should be able to do so by just putting the disc into my PS5 and be good to go, without the need to buy it again. It is a matter of convenience and a matter of consumer-friendliness.

On the PC this ain't a thing. Sure, there can be compatibility issues, but generally speaking, you can play all the games you own without the need to buy the same game again. A game I've purchased on Steam 10 years ago is still playable for me today. When I update my PC or buy a new one, I don't have to rebuy every game in my library again.

I understand that Nintendo isn't doing it with the Switch, because of the different format and architecture. You can't just put a disc in your Switch and expect it to work. Also, the Wii U was a flop and its titles deserve more attention. However, they did a good job with the Wii and Wii U on that front. You had Virtual Console and could play Gamecube games on the Wii. You could just move your entire library from the Wii to the Wii U. For Gamecube titles you need homebrew though. I hope they make the Switch a platform moving forward, meaning you can just move your Switch library to the Switch 2 with the latter being BC. And honestly, I think this should be industry standard that you can move your library to the newest system. The PS5 being BC to the PS4 and Xbox S/X being BC to the Xbox One is a very good start already. A lot of people would be pissed though if this wasn't the case, trust me.

Thing is, they want you to buy the same games over and over again because obviously there is more money to make that way.
I mean, is there any other reason to not support BC via. emulation, other than licenses? When moving from PS3 to PS4 the reason for not having BC in any form were the big differences in architecture, and the PS4 being too weak for software emulation. That was absolutely understandable... but nowadays? Nowadays there shouldn't be any excuses, to be honest.

If you want the oldies to have enhancements and don't have a problem paying extra for it, that's fine obviously, nothing wrong with that. There are new customers a remaster or remake can bring to the table as well, so by no means I have something against re-releases, but if you already own the game and don't care much for the enhancements you shouldn't be 'forced' to buy the same game again.

I don't expect hardware emulation, because that can be costly, but software emulation shouldn't be a problem at all. Hobby coders do these without any budget. What Microsoft is doing here is pro-consumer. Yeah, it's only a selection of titles, but it is still better than nothing at all. And they even enhance some of them by a significant amount. That's why I support them in this instance:
  • They preserve the games
  • They improve them
  • It consumer-friendly
  • It's convenient
  • And it doesn't cost you anything extra.
It is a win for gamers.

DavidGzz

Sony, cares about making money not saving us money. That's the bottom line. Sure, you can play an old game on the new console but you have to pay $70. While MS would upgrade Bloodborne to 4k 60fps if they owned it Sony would rather have Bluepoint do a remake to charge us $70 again. I hope From doesn't make another exclusive for Sony, I've waited 84 years for Bloodborne to be updated, it should have had one since PS4 Pro launch.

Last edited:
It also great that they let you switch on Dev Mode for Xbox Series console without hacking it on their new console so you can preserve the old games yourself through emulation.

I am just curious. Do you have a link where MS came out stating they were going to 'kill Sony'? They promote their products like all companies do but I don't recall seeing them mention Sony or Nintendo unless its to something positive. Phil Spencer says nice things about Nintendo all the time. Even the Twitter comment shown isn't attacking anyone.
He's referring to a really, REAALLLLY old (like, late '90s/early '00s STUPID old) unofficial, backroom corporate behind-closed-doors quote from older management or maybe Bill Gates himself. Or something from one of them in an obscure magazine interview of that same time period.

This was before OG Xbox launched, and it really has no bearing on current Microsoft. It's like digging up Yamauchi's insulting quotes on JRPG fans from the N64 days and using that to say Nintendo feels the same way today. Or any number of Crazy Ken's quotes from back in the day (or quotes of him sort of dismissively (well, bluntly) downplaying other game corporate execs like Hideki Sato at Sega around the time the Saturn and PS1 were releasing) and using that as a blemish on current-day Sony.

It's a stupid, ignorant tactic and really gets nothing done. It's like how cancel culture uses decade-old tweets to get someone fired in current year, basically 🤷‍♂️

Data says otherwise.

Wow, this is a really ignorant comment. The vapidity you have to drench yourself in to think something is better simply because it's new. Imagine if we had this mentality with comics, television, movies, music etc.

Are new games, on average, more advanced on a technical level than old games? Yes. But that's a given as technology continues to improve. However, games are about more than just technology; there's creativity to them as well. There's types of creativity in older games we simply do not see in most newer titles, ,due to difference of time periods, cultures etc., and changing trends in the industry.

But you will have many people who swear that Mario 64 is better than Odyssey, that Tekken 3 is better than Tekken 7, etc., and they can probably list a bunch of valid reasons for those opinions (and yes this can involve things based on objective merits, particularly to aspects of game design). In general games are just games: some old games are better than new games, and some new games are better than old games.

It's never an all-or-nothing and never will be.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
He's referring to a really, REAALLLLY old (like, late '90s/early '00s STUPID old) unofficial, backroom corporate behind-closed-doors quote from older management or maybe Bill Gates himself. Or something from one of them in an obscure magazine interview of that same time period.

This was before OG Xbox launched, and it really has no bearing on current Microsoft. It's like digging up Yamauchi's insulting quotes on JRPG fans from the N64 days and using that to say Nintendo feels the same way today. Or any number of Crazy Ken's quotes from back in the day (or quotes of him sort of dismissively (well, bluntly) downplaying other game corporate execs like Hideki Sato at Sega around the time the Saturn and PS1 were releasing) and using that as a blemish on current-day Sony.

It's a stupid, ignorant tactic and really gets nothing done. It's like how cancel culture uses decade-old tweets to get someone fired in current year, basically 🤷‍♂️

Wow, this is a really ignorant comment. The vapidity you have to drench yourself in to think something is better simply because it's new. Imagine if we had this mentality with comics, television, movies, music etc.

Are new games, on average, more advanced on a technical level than old games? Yes. But that's a given as technology continues to improve. However, games are about more than just technology; there's creativity to them as well. There's types of creativity in older games we simply do not see in most newer titles, ,due to difference of time periods, cultures etc., and changing trends in the industry.

But you will have many people who swear that Mario 64 is better than Odyssey, that Tekken 3 is better than Tekken 7, etc., and they can probably list a bunch of valid reasons for those opinions (and yes this can involve things based on objective merits, particularly to aspects of game design). In general games are just games: some old games are better than new games, and some new games are better than old games.

It's never an all-or-nothing and never will be.

Nastolgia is irrelevant.

Mario Oddessey is objectively better than Mario 64.

If both games released in 1996, no one would pay attention to Mario 64. If both games released today, no one would pay attention to Mario 64.

Mario 64 was phenomenal for it's time but the only thing saving it today is nostalgia. That game is ass.

Top Bottom