• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Preserving classic games is 'more important than ever'

Sony could program a PSX emulator over the course of a weekend if they wanted to, and they already have a PS2 emulator that barely anything gets released on.

For whatever reason, they don't want to support older games. If they did, they could add like 18,000 of them by Monday. (I can't believe between the PSX and PS2 there are 18,000 games lol)
I don't think it's that simple. As far as I know their PS2 emulator isn't particularly accurate and as a result it's not like they can just let you put a PS2 disc in because...well it probably won't work. Another factor is licensing. They can't just release titles en masse on the store, they have to get permission from the rights holders first and a lot of older titles are in legal limbo where tracking down all the rights holders is next to impossible. Not saying they couldn't do more than they are, but it's easy to pontificate from the comfort of your sofa, it's another to actually put your ideas into action.

stitch1

You guys can fall for PR all you want but requiring online to setup a console is TERRIBLE for game preservation. Backwards compatible games also REQUIRE a download authorization the first time they're played. Once the servers are taken off, a factory reset will basically brick the whole system. That isn't really game preservation.

Literally only Xbox requires online for setup, Sony and Nintendo don't. There's no reason for it and if they truly care about preservation they wouldn't do that.

Sure microsoft has made strides elsewhere making it easier for cross gen, I'm not disputing that, but the fact of the matter is that they aren't truly for game preservation until they rid of that online requirements. They're just pro-get everybody on our ecosystem.
All I know is I had to rebuy Portal 2 in order to play it on a modern system and I was able to play Dead Space because I have Game Pass. I own both these games on PS3. Nobody wants to go back and play these games on the PS3 with that horrible controller. I would gladly play them on my PS5 if I could just pop the disc in like I can on the Series X.

These two companies are not equal in this regard. I don't care how you try to spin this as a bad thing for Xbox. The fact of the matter is I CAN play my old games on my current hardware with one company and can't with the other. There's no way to spin that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why does this Fortnite fan keep shitting up classic game threads? Every single classic gaming thread - there you are.
We get it you dont like older games - its well established.
Roblox just released a new costume pack for you to buy buddy, better get on that.

Old games collect dust for a reason.

It’s so great to see MS make this push for game preservation. Sony and Nintendo have been putrid about this for a while; they should be called out for it.

It doesn’t matter if you personally care for BC or not. Gamers should be able to play their games, and experience older titles they may have missed, when moving onto a newer console. That is the way it must be done going forward, and thankfully one console manufacturer understands that.

THEAP99

Banned
All I know is I had to rebuy Portal 2 in order to play it on a modern system and I was able to play Dead Space because I have Game Pass. I own both these games on PS3. Nobody wants to go back and play these games on the PS3 with that horrible controller. I would gladly play them on my PS5 if I could just pop the disc in like I can on the Series X.

These two companies are not equal in this regard. I don't care how you try to spin this as a bad thing for Xbox. The fact of the matter is I CAN play my old games on my current hardware with one company and can't with the other. There's no way to spin that.
Trust me man I wish sony would have ps3 backward compatibility as well because there's a lot of games I missed out on. Hopefully, they remaster or remake those games to bring them back or allow for ps3 backward compatibility.

It's great Microsoft supports BC for older generations but in reality, they really cared for game preservation they would not require online setup for xbox.

Wizz-Art

You guys can fall for PR all you want but requiring online to setup a console is TERRIBLE for game preservation. Backwards compatible games also REQUIRE a download authorization the first time they're played. Once the servers are taken off, a factory reset will basically brick the whole system. That isn't really game preservation.

Literally only Xbox requires online for setup, Sony and Nintendo don't. There's no reason for it and if they truly care about preservation they wouldn't do that.

Sure microsoft has made strides elsewhere making it easier for cross gen, I'm not disputing that, but the fact of the matter is that they aren't truly for game preservation until they rid of that online requirements. They're just pro-get everybody on our ecosystem.

LMFAO, you do realize Microsoft is one of the world leaders when it comes to servers? Ever heard of Azure? You sure must have since the streaming part of PS Now runs on it entirely. They own the thing, in the grand scale of things Xbox Live only takes a tiny portion of Azure, they have absolutely no reason at all to take anything Xbox related down, they don't rent server space like Sony does, they own their own infrastructure.

Last edited:

Keihart

LMFAO, you do realize Microsoft is one of the world leaders when it comes to servers? Ever heard of Azure? You sure must have since the streaming part of PS Now runs on it entirely. They own the thing, in the grand scale of things Xbox Live only takes a tiny portion of Azure, they have absolutely no reason at all to take anything Xbox related down, they don't rent server space like Sony does, they own their own infrastructure.
To be fair, there is probably money moving from xbox to whatever division manages azure, that's how things work in big companies, divisions are the clients of others divisions inside the same company too.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Zeroing

Banned
The company that has the shorter history in video games and barely build exclusives are the one trying to preserve old games. Ironic but it it is a good thing they are doing

but let’s face reality all this is to give the brand free publicity and good will!

Anyway I still remember how the narrative changes to suit everyone needs in just a short span of years.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
That's very nice, I hope they will update Classic Xbox and Xbox 360 titles in the near future. At least all of the exclusive stuff that isn't buried behind licenses should be the goal. I understand that Project Gotham Racing is tricky because of licensed music and cars, but what about Dead or Alive 3, Quantum Redshift, Otogi? You can do it Microsoft!

And Sega should finally rerelease Jet Set Radio Future...

Even if you don't like old games, game preservation is something that should be applauded, and not argued against.
Just like we preserve old art, old music, and old movies the same should apply to old games. You don't just shit on an integral part of gaming history because "Lolol old games suck amIright guys?".

Last edited by a moderator:
They lack the money and infrastructure to pull it off and compete at MS level. The Xnet has set a high bar with their gamepass and BC strategies and Sony simply isnt capable of matching it at this point. Will there even be a PS6 at this point is the question we should all be asking ourselves.
I do not think so, why you should need an infrastructure to bring back ps classics that already exist? Why should be money an issue for a division that is breaking its own profit records year after year? I do not think you are making yourself the right questions.

pasterpl

The company that has the shorter history in video games and barely build exclusives are the one trying to preserve old games. Ironic but it it is a good thing they are doing

but let’s face reality all this is to give the brand free publicity and good will!

Anyway I still remember how the narrative changes to suit everyone needs in just a short span of years.
Microsoft was in the games business since early 1980, more than a decade before Sony

Zeroing

Banned
Microsoft was in the games business since early 1980, more than a decade before Sony
No and even if you throw some non existent points at it, they definitely still have no portfolio compared Nintendo, Sony or Sega!
They never cared about video games! Not until Xbox

Midtown Madness 3 for PC please.

giphy.gif

THEAP99

Banned
Prove it (the bold). And just because microsoft owns the infrastructure doesn't mean one day the servers for xbox won't be shut down. Stop trying to provide excuses for them requiring online for the Xbox setup when there's literally no reason for it.

Last edited:
Microsoft is getting back at Sony for dunking on them during the PS4 reveal.

Getting back? LOL
What Sony did back then decided the rest of the gen. What MS is doing now is nothing close now.

It seems Xbox has a different and opposite philosophy to Ryan and PlayStation when it comes to previous generations. I much prefer the Xbox philosophy. I'm still playing and enjoying so many of the games from the 360 era instead of begging for remakes in order to be able play great games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect or Dead Space.

Maybe what Ryan meant when he said "we believe in generations" was let's pretend previous generations never existed.

And you preferred Sony's philosophy before?

And this is why competition is great, MS can easily put pressure on Sony for BC and preservation as times goes by and they continue raising the bar. Much like I doubt MS would even bother with proper BC if they were the lead console by a mile for years and years.

Actually what BC for XBox did against PS4 during last-gen and what BC will do now against PS5? Nothing actually! It's a nice feature, not a selling point.
LOL. Funny how MS will PR after bad Sony news comes out. Like 2013 but the other way around

Funny how MS is doing it always. Dualsense counter tweet were hilarious.

True. Especially if you are really bad at creating new ones.

Yep. Advertising XSX/S as BC console before launch was horrendous

Last edited:

SSfox

Thanks Captain Obvious. Nobody has ever said the opposite.

And making new great games is also super important, actually more important and the most important thing to do for a videogame brand.

giphy.gif

Alright

Banned
Thanks Captain Obvious. Nobody has ever said the opposite.

And making new great games is also super important, actually more important and the most important thing to do for a videogame brand.

giphy.gif
I agree.

I find it really weird that Microsoft are pushing the BC angle so much, when that was their golden period of gaming that they continually fail to repeat, replicate or improve upon in the modern age.

It's like "Hey, remember when we were really good at what we did?" "ignore what we're doing now. memba Halo? we member"

THEAP99

Banned
Also azure doesn't really matter considering that hasn't stopped them from shutting servers down in the past:

Dr Bass

You have the uncanny ability to find a way to turn anything positive or superior with regard to Xbox into a negative.

Your perseverance is amazing. Carry on warrior.

I'll take the compliment for what it is lol. :messenger_beaming:

I am dying for something killer on Series X. Xbox was my favorite platform from OG Xbox -> 360. I was one of the "Wii60" group. They kinda lost me with their output during the "One" era, though I thought the One X was a great piece of hardware.

If you think I am trying to put a negative spin on everything they do you misread me. I criticize because I care, and think their potential is WAY higher than what they are currently hitting.

Fitzchiv

I know back-compat isn't just an Xbox thing but I've just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution on my Series X, which has run with auto HDR and quick resume features. That, combined with the almost zero loading times mid-level when transitioning from one area of a hub etc make it a radically different performance. The only thing that's felt dated is the control scheme, designed for the 360 and missing some FPS standard stuff we've gained over the last 12 years - that's a pretty strong endorsement of the work Microsoft have done.

As with others, I just want to see more OG titles now.

I know back-compat isn't just an Xbox thing but I've just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution on my Series X, which has run with auto HDR and quick resume features. That, combined with the almost zero loading times mid-level when transitioning from one area of a hub etc make it a radically different performance. The only thing that's felt dated is the control scheme, designed for the 360 and missing some FPS standard stuff we've gained over the last 12 years - that's a pretty strong endorsement of the work Microsoft have done.

As with others, I just want to see more OG titles now.

Yes, give me the OG titles!

Agreed. I'm mostly playing old games right now. Quality don't care about dates.

While this generates good will among the hardcore, BC only became important for the wider audience this gen because of digital. For MS it's a good way to increase the gamepass library I guess, but BC is almost worthless in terms of average user play time.

Good on MS though.

Your Great Value milk spoiled in 18 minutes xD.

Psx and ps2 era licenses are a pain in the ass they don't want or care to handle. There isn't some sort of conspiracy, they just have other business interests.

People strongly underestimate this. Vast majority of the big-banger PS1, PS2, even PS3 games are from 3P devs. Quite a few are from companies either not around anymore or with IP ownership wrapped up in a ton of legal jumbled tape or, in extreme cases, different parts of the IP owned by different companies.

All that licensing costs money, and in some cases Sony would have to go beyond the publisher. That's assuming taking path of software emulation. Ideally they would go for hardware-based emulation, I kind of don't see why they couldn't release an add-on module with PS1, PS2 and even PS3 hardware in it connecting through one of the USB ports.

...Actually I can see a reason why they wouldn't if they want to monetize re-releases of those games on PS5 storefront, which I suspect is what Sony are gonna do. That or adding them to PS Now and PS+ as some "Classics" section/category.

Last edited:

Drew1440

It's good that they published this on 1st April - some of us have good enough enough memory to remember Microsoft completely abandoning Games for Windows live store customers and leaving everyone at the mercy of developers to update their games to work at all.

Game for Windows Live was not shut down, only the storefront. You can still still download and play existing games as you normally would since it used the 360 API.

Keihart

I'm a PS5 owner and Microsoft is right. There's no reason PS5 couldn't play all playstation games except Sony holding it back.
Yeah, i mean, maybe back in PS4 days there was the excuse of PS3 architecture and stuff, but they never even brought back the PS1 and 2 games so now it's just obvious that they don't care since there isn't much money in it.

Basically, people asking for the old games are not considered worth the time for PS unless you can charge them full price for old games with some remaster.

Zeroing

Banned
The future of Xbox first party games are looking pretty bright at the moment.
About time they started doing something!! They didn’t seem to care about it and their fans were ok with it!
MS just have a lot to catch up and learn, something that the other gaming companies been doing for decades. If it was easy to develop successful games I am sure we would see more new IPs

Also I like to point out that is easier to “save the old games” when those were developed for x86 architecture (PC) and you when own the OS - windows

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, i mean, maybe back in PS4 days there was the excuse of PS3 architecture and stuff, but they never even brought back the PS1 and 2 games so now it's just obvious that they don't care since there isn't much money in it.

As I keep pointing out, contracts dating back to times preceding digital distribution as a given can be messy due to any sublicensing agreements in place.

For commercial purposes its not as easy as you'd think; the emulation scene has it relatively easy because it lives in a grey area (legally speaking) where IP holders tolerate the infractions because there's no money to be chased through the courts.

Keihart

As I keep pointing out, contracts dating back to times preceding digital distribution as a given can be messy due to any sublicensing agreements in place.

For commercial purposes its not as easy as you'd think; the emulation scene has it relatively easy because it lives in a grey area (legally speaking) where IP holders tolerate the infractions because there's no money to be chased through the courts.
I'm pretty aware that there are license hurdles to overcome and that , that, compared to the tech side, it's the hard part. But that has always been the case, it's not new and never stopped any company to attempting BC.

Wizz-Art

Also azure doesn't really matter considering that hasn't stopped them from shutting servers down in the past:

yAG8DVl.jpg

Top Bottom