• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Preserving classic games is 'more important than ever'

Fbh

Yeah MS is really doing a fantastic job with game preservation.
It's a shame that they seem to be the only console maker that cares about this stuff. Sony basically just pretends like nothing existed before the Ps4, and Nintendo isn't much better with their "we can rent you a small selection of games" approach.

Psx and ps2 era licenses are a pain in the ass they don't want or care to handle. There isn't some sort of conspiracy, they just have other business interests.
They lack the money and infrastructure to pull it off and compete at MS level. The Xnet has set a high bar with their gamepass and BC strategies and Sony simply isnt capable of matching it at this point. Will there even be a PS6 at this point is the question we should all be asking ourselves.

MiguelItUp

In a perfect world I'd love to have the ability to access the entire library (or majority, at least) of classic games across various platforms. Via the cloud would be awesome too, to be able to just enjoy any classic title via my PC or designated console. It would just be awesome if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all did a similar approach. Those would be subscriptions I'd gladly pay for, especially for their convenience.

Naked Lunch

This is an utterly savage diss to the PS3/Vita shutdown.
Why would anyone buy anything digitally from the Sony store anymore after that move?
I say this as a PS3 fan who is now scrambling to make sure everything I ever purchased is on my HDD before the PS store dies. Total horseshit and never again.

People saying Sony could do this overnight are living in a dreamworld.
MS has been nurturing their backwards compat for years and years. Legacy titles have had just as many updates as current because they are always tweaking the emulation.
Your purchases from 12+ years ago work on new hardware.
Your saves from 12+ years ago carry over seamlessly.
ALL BC titles are fully integrated into the modern MS store.

I bought Panzer Dragoon Orta in 2008 digitally and its now sitting on my XB1 dashboard but now it runs in 4k 60fps.

Those are not things that can be achieved overnight - it needs to be planned, and planned for years.

The tides are turning...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yes definitely, if you want to build a subs based ecosystem.

MS bringing their PC roots + gamer Phil-osophy to forefront. :messenger_peace: :messenger_sunglasses:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Can we have some more then? :/

Ood6Gvh.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
If they found a way to run them direct off the disc they wouldn't need the legal stuff

Except that's not how it works. The emulator is a wrapper around the original file. They can't modify the disc files. When you put a disc in a modern Xbox it actually just acts as a copy protection key and it downloads the game off the store as the BC games are all with the wrapper.

wvnative

Except that's not how it works. The emulator is a wrapper around the original file. They can't modify the disc files. When you put a disc in a modern Xbox it actually just acts as a copy protection key and it downloads the game off the store as the BC games are all with the wrapper.

PC emulators have disc drive access is it not possible to give the 360 emulator access to the disc drive?

ManaByte

Gold Member
PC emulators have disc drive access is it not possible to give the 360 emulator access to the disc drive?

No because the emulator, again, is a self contained wrapper. There's not a standalone emulator running on the XSX. Every BC game install has the emulator wrapped around the game files. That's why when you put a disc in the drive it just checks to make sure it's the correct game and then the system downloads the BC version from the store.

wvnative

No because the emulator, again, is a self contained wrapper. There's not a standalone emulator running on the XSX. Every BC game install has the emulator wrapped around the game files. That's why when you put a disc in the drive it just checks to make sure it's the correct game and then the system downloads the BC version from the store.

I confess I am no expert, if you say it isn't possible I will believe you.

But daaaaaamn if they could, it'd be amazing

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's a serious argument to be had over the difference between preservation and what MS has been doing with its B/C strategy.

Preservation would be keeping these games available in their original forms, not recompiling them and running them through a VM in order to alter and improve their appearance and performance.

Although its desirable of course to keep stuff in circulation, what MS is doing is basically recycling old content for profit not posterity, and in so doing is devaluing the original versions.

Its all quite debatable whether the "definitive version" is the original or the uprated one, I mean we are getting close to colourizing old movies territory here.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
There's a serious argument to be had over the difference between preservation and what MS has been doing with its B/C strategy.

Preservation would be keeping these games available in their original forms, not recompiling them and running them through a VM in order to alter and improve their appearance and performance.

Although its desirable of course to keep stuff in circulation, what MS is doing is basically recycling old content for profit not posterity, and in so doing is devaluing the original versions.

Its all quite debatable whether the "definitive version" is the original or the uprated one, I mean we are getting close to colourizing old movies territory here.
breaking bad he cant keep getting away with this GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Ya. MS sure is recycling old content for profit.

I never knew MS was secretly billing my credit card for every BC boosted 360 game I've played on disc or digital on Xbox One, X or Series X.

I've even played World at War from an old 360 disc and it works. Maybe Activision profits too and also has charged me.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

It seems Xbox has a different and opposite philosophy to Ryan and PlayStation when it comes to previous generations. I much prefer the Xbox philosophy. I'm still playing and enjoying so many of the games from the 360 era instead of begging for remakes in order to be able play great games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect or Dead Space.

Maybe what Ryan meant when he said "we believe in generations" was let's pretend previous generations never existed.
Does Xbox ... have a choice right now?

I agree it's a better "philosophy" but it's also literally the only thing they can bank on right now.

stitch1

Food spoils at different rates.

As do games.
And yet you say "old games are trash". I made a thread yesterday talking about how I wish I could play my PS3 collection on my PS5. There are a lot of older games that still hold up quite nicely. I really like what Xbox is doing here. I wish Sony and Nintendo would at least try to add some of these features to their systems. But going forward I am only buying 3rd party games on my Xbox as they have shown the most respect to older titles.

pr0cs

I wonder if MS intentionally plans on having good news every week
This isn't good news. I was told that having more games to play, especially old games that no one likes because they're old, is a bad thing.
So what I'm saying is that this announcement is actually bad

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ya. MS sure is recycling old content for profit.

I never knew MS was secretly billing my credit card for every BC boosted 360 game I've played on disc or digital on Xbox One, X or Series X.

I've even played World at War from an old 360 disc and it works. Maybe Activision profits too and also has charged me.

Its called catalogue content, the stuff you use to fill space around your marquee product and elevate the value proposition of your service.

Business 101.

stitch1

Xbox requires online to setup the console so I wouldn't really call that good preservation
This would only be an issue if they didn't allow the newer systems to have access to the older games. For example the PS3 store going away makes it much harder to gain access to those games even if you have that old hardware. Yet I can play my 360 games on my Series X. So assuming the next Xbox has the same access as the current ones then having internet access isn't really an issue.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And this is why competition is great, MS can easily put pressure on Sony for BC and preservation as times goes by and they continue raising the bar. Much like I doubt MS would even bother with proper BC if they were the lead console by a mile for years and years.
They do seem more focused on system level features than anyone else. Just part of how they look at things I guess.

NickFire

I do not think I have ever witnessed a console company cater to the most passionate enthusiasts anywhere near MS's last year of efforts. I'm starting to think that I am not even considered an enthusiast anymore, and may be just an semi-informed casual. Not because of anything MS has done or not done, just because I'm personally unable to understand the lure of 15 - 20 year old games, or the consumption model.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Backwards compatibility and Xcloud is the best thing any company has done over the last 5 years or so.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I do not think I have ever witnessed a console company cater to the most passionate enthusiasts anywhere near MS's last year of efforts. I'm starting to think that I am not even considered an enthusiast anymore, and may be just an semi-informed casual. Not because of anything MS has done or not done, just because I'm personally unable to understand the lure of 15 - 20 year old games, or the consumption model.

Jim Ryan was right.

"Why would anyone play this?" is rooted in truth.

SteamCharts and XBox Lives Most Played show us that no one (don't take that literally) plays old games.

It's marketing fluff by MS to throw interference for their dismal last 5 years.

cireza

Unlike Sony and Microsoft.

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

This is Microsoft. They even made a free update recently for everybody on 360 to have access to Cloud Saves FOR FREE. I know people who failed at transferring their saves between PS4 and PS5, and Microsoft somehow made this a breeze to do this with the console of the PREVIOUS generation lol.

When the time comes, if it ever comes, they will most likely do whatever pro-consumer move that needs to be done to let people enjoy their games, because that's the type of company they are.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
So you are saying I can play my copies of Dead Space and Portal 2 on my PS5? Because I can the 360 version on my Series X.

Xbox > PlayStation when it comes to preserving games.
Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

This is Microsoft. They even made a free update recently for everybody on 360 to have access to Cloud Saves FOR FREE. I know people who failed at transferring their saves between PS4 and PS5, and Microsoft somehow made this a breeze to do this with the console of the PREVIOUS generation lol.

When the time comes, if it ever comes, they will most likely do whatever pro-consumer move that needs to be done to let people enjoy their games, because that's the type of company they are.
You guys can fall for PR all you want but requiring online to setup a console is TERRIBLE for game preservation. Backwards compatible games also REQUIRE a download authorization the first time they're played. Once the servers are taken off, a factory reset will basically brick the whole system. That isn't really game preservation.

Literally only Xbox requires online for setup, Sony and Nintendo don't. There's no reason for it and if they truly care about preservation they wouldn't do that.

Sure microsoft has made strides elsewhere making it easier for cross gen, I'm not disputing that, but the fact of the matter is that they aren't truly for game preservation until they rid of that online requirements. They're just pro-get everybody on our ecosystem.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

That said, it is the right approach. Maybe I don’t want to buy a remaster of a game I already own.

cireza

You guys can fall for PR all you want but requiring online to setup a console is TERRIBLE for game preservation. Backwards compatible games also REQUIRE a download authorization the first time they're played. Once the servers are taken off, a factory reset will basically brick the whole system. That isn't really game preservation.

Literally only Xbox requires online for setup, Sony and Nintendo don't. There's no reason for it and if they truly care about preservation they wouldn't do that.

Sure microsoft has made strides elsewhere making it easier for cross gen, I'm not disputing that, but the fact of the matter is that they aren't truly for game preservation until they rid of that online requirements. They're just pro-get everybody on our ecosystem.
Turn it around all you want, the only companies shitting on game preservation right now are the ones closing their online stores and not investing in BC. These are hard facts for current times, not wild guesses for a distant future.

stitch1

Jim Ryan was right.

"Why would anyone play this?" is rooted in truth.

SteamCharts and XBox Lives Most Played show us that no one (don't take that literally) plays old games.

It's marketing fluff by MS to throw interference for their dismal last 5 years.

And yet on a system that didn't sell well had over a billion hours of play time logged almost 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom