• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Preserving classic games is 'more important than ever'

What games build on SSX?

SSX Tricky, SSX 3, SSX Blur, SSX 2012, Shaun White Snowboarding, Steep...

What games built upon Ninja Gaiden?

The Devil May Cry franchise, The Boyonetta franchise, MG Rising, GoW...

What games built upon Burnout?

The rest of the Burnout games, Forza Horizon, Drive Club, NFS, Wreckfest, The Crew...

So yes, the industry builds on itself. You might not like all the advancements but there's a pretty distinct lineage with all the games you mentioned.
When I said SSX I meant the series...Also no Steep didn't build on SSX, they play nothing alike. None of those action games build on Ninja Gaiden and none of those racing games play anything like Burnout your just naming random games in the same genre...you might as well have put Gran Turismo in the Burnout pile since your just putting random racing games in there.

RCU005

Ok, they are right about preserving old games, but don’t get distracted by the fact that they are doing it because they don’t have any new games and they are having a lot of trouble getting to a steady output of new games. They are relying a lot in BC and game pass for that same reason.

Only time will tell if will actually pay off in the long run

MacReady13

When I said SSX I meant the series...Also no Steep didn't build on SSX, they play nothing alike. None of those action games build on Ninja Gaiden and none of those racing games play anything like Burnout your just naming random games in the same genre...you might as well have put Gran Turismo in the Burnout pile since your just putting random racing games in there.
Correct. How anyone can complain about old games being preserved so we can play them beggars belief. Keep making new games with beautiful graphics as they should. It’s why we have new consoles! But don’t forget about the past by burying classic games. I’d give anything to show my kids SSX Tricky and explain that although it doesn’t look as good as games of today, that means fuck all when it’s so fun to play.
Don’t bury the past just because your favorite game console company thinks old games are not worth remembering. Jim Ryan can fuck right off if that’s his way of thinking.

Wizz-Art

I thought that's a mendorium of understanding, not an official deal. Please show me where on ps now it currently says "powered by azure."

It can be powered by azure in the future for sure but I don't think that meeting meant much other than they're looking into it possibly.

Honestly I think that day was the day the sony ceo sold the PlayStation brand because it's all been downhill since

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...​

THEAPP99: It's an elephant!​

Kumomeme

That I will wholeheartedly agree with. But what does a stupid subscription service have to do with backward compatibility and game preservation?
subscriber didnt own the game, cant play if didnt pay the subs. what happened when the game not exist/get pulled from the services, or the services itself shutdown? nobody might have the copy and it could lost forever.

even for digital games for example from steam, user could still play the game even if there no internet connection or steam is unavailable as long it exist in the disk storage. but still there risk of the disk could damage and the data would lost forever. on this aspect physical games is better.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The FPS Boost feature is an absolute game changer as well, Prey, Far Cry 4, Sniper Elite 4 and Watch Dogs 2 are just so much better now and some great Auto HDR support with 16x AF making them the definitive console versions.
The fact they add all this for free is brilliant.

93xfan

Banned
I didn’t even know Microsoft had games you’d term “classics”

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Halo MCC (Halo 1-3, Reach and ODST)
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Knight of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Banjo and Kazooie 1 & 2
Perfect Dark (n64 remaster)
Blue Dragon
Nights: Into Dreams
Killer Instinct 1,2, Gold
Battletoads
Morrowind
Oblivion
Start Wars Battlefront 1 & 2
Fallout New Vegas
Rayman Origins
Geometry Wars 2
Final Fantasy 13 series
Dead Space 1-3
Gears of War
SSX3
Unreal Tournament 2
Jade Empire
Soul Calibur 1 & 2 HD

This is off the top of my head. Hard to believe a hardcore gamer doesn’t know this. Sure you’re not just jealous of what MS offers?

Last edited:

pasterpl

No and even if you throw some non existent points at it, they definitely still have no portfolio compared Nintendo, Sony or Sega!
They never cared about video games! Not until Xbox
You literally said

The company that has the shorter history in video games and barely build exclusives are the one trying to preserve old games. Ironic but it it is a good thing they are doing

but let’s face reality all this is to give the brand free publicity and good will!

Anyway I still remember how the narrative changes to suit everyone needs in just a short span of years.

which is simply not true, we are not discussing levels of commitment, you are starting to move goalposts.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Banjo and Kazooie 1 & 2
Blue Dragon
Battletoads
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout New Vegas
Rayman Origins
Geometry Wars 2
Final Fantasy 13 series
Dead Space 1-3
Gears of War
SSX3
Unreal Tournament 2
Jade Empire
Soul Calibur 1 & 2 HD

This is off the top of my head. Hard to believe a hardcore gamer doesn’t know this. Sure you’re not just jealous of what MS offers?

I would love to play jade empire remake

odhiex

I am happy that Microsoft do this.

However, it (backwards compatibility) is not a huge deal "for me". I rarely play old games or even building my own games collection. Plus, emulators are so good these days.

Don't get me wrong, I applaud Microsoft in making such goodwill in preserving it's legacy contents. But, I couldn't solely blame Sony or Nintendo on their different priorities. Backwards compatibility is such a nice feature, but not a deal breaker for me.

P.s. A couple years ago, my PS3 was stolen by burglar(s). Now, all of my PS3 games (physical and digital) are practically useless. Don't ask me about the older consoles and games, they serve me better as good memories that I could never replicate, even if I am able replay them again today.

Last edited:

TheContact

I definitely love that ms is making this a point to focus on. Classic games and preserving them are important to me

Zeroing

Banned
You literally said

which is simply not tru
You literally said

which is simply not true, we are not discussing levels of commitment, you are starting to move goalposts.
Either you don’t understand me or we are talking about different things. Ok there it is people! Apple is also a video game company too because in the 1980 apple II was the to go platform for pc games

lol

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Banjo and Kazooie 1 & 2
Blue Dragon
Battletoads
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout New Vegas
Rayman Origins
Geometry Wars 2
Final Fantasy 13 series
Dead Space 1-3
Gears of War
SSX3
Unreal Tournament 2
Jade Empire
Soul Calibur 1 & 2 HD

That’s a pathetic list 😂😂

Umbasaborne

Banned
...says the company who currently pushing gaming 'rent' online subcription services
Uuuh...you realize sony is doing the same thing with ps now right? At least microsoft gives you the option to buy the old games and play them locally without gamepass. Something sony cant be assed to do for their ps3 library. But this is where we are i guess. You have to defend your favorite plastic box maker right? And before you try to turn that back around on me, i have given, and will continue to give microsoft shit for their embarrassing lack of big exclusive games for their brand new consoles. What happened with halo infinite is fucking embarassing.

Last edited:
Is it important now because MS said it?
Because when they told everyone it wasn’t important, Nintendo and Sony were releasing the games and remasters, most were saying it was a way to milk stupid fanboys....

so... I get confused when people’s opinions change like the wind.

know history my friend! Sony did that funny thing because MS wanted Xbox console to be always online with the excuse you could share your games without the need of lending your disk!
Everyone was scared Sony would do the same thing!

So the lesson is, history repeats and do not trust what any company goes on the internet saying.
No one is the “good guy”
Back compatibility has nothing to do with rerelease or remaster. Its when I can put in my Witcher 2 disc into my series x and able to play the game without any further purchase (added 4k patch for free notwithstanding). Its when my digital Mass Effect trilogy that I bought on the ms store in 2013 able to run on the series x without any further purchase. In this one specific way, microsoft is so far ahead of the rest. Makes sense since pc has been able to do it since forever.

Sure, sony did the thing because they knew it would generate more money for them when they pit them agains us mentality. Same as ms, backcompat is ammo agains the competitor. Corps want the most money. Go figure. Doesnt mean ms is not right in this particular issue.

Zeroing

Banned
Back compatibility has nothing to do with rerelease or remaster. Its when I can put in my Witcher 2 disc into my series x and able to play the game without any further purchase (added 4k patch for free notwithstanding). Its when my digital Mass Effect trilogy that I bought on the ms store in 2013 able to run on the series x without any further purchase. In this one specific way, microsoft is so far ahead of the rest. Makes sense since pc has been able to do it since forever.

Sure, sony did the thing because they knew it would generate more money for them when they pit them agains us mentality. Same as ms, backcompat is ammo agains the competitor. Corps want the most money. Go figure. Doesnt mean ms is not right in this particular issue.
Like I keep saying, it is easy when you have an os and a console that runs on x86 and the other companies didn’t had any of it on past generations!
Is it so hard to understand?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Banjo and Kazooie 1 & 2
Blue Dragon
Battletoads
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout New Vegas
Rayman Origins
Geometry Wars 2
Final Fantasy 13 series
Dead Space 1-3
Gears of War
SSX3
Unreal Tournament 2
Jade Empire
Soul Calibur 1 & 2 HD

I'll add the Darkness duology which the first game was never released on pc. The whole of the splinter cell series with free 4k patch for each one. Alan Wake to complete the Remedy universe on xbox. And the crown jewel, 4k Red Dead Redemption 1.

Like I keep saying, it is easy when you have an os and a console that runs on x86 and the other companies didn’t had any of it on past generations!
Is it so hard to understand?
Oh please, the genius savant Cerny coudnt have devise a way for backcomp and integrate the ps3 psn store disaster into ps5 but able to architect a less powerful machine (on paper) that trades blows with a 12 tf machine. Sony just wasnt interested in giving funding for backcomp tech. Clear as day with what they are doing since last year amputating the ps3 store from the website.

Valentino

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden Black
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Banjo and Kazooie 1 & 2
Blue Dragon
Battletoads
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout New Vegas
Rayman Origins
Geometry Wars 2
Final Fantasy 13 series
Dead Space 1-3
Gears of War
SSX3
Unreal Tournament 2
Jade Empire
Soul Calibur 1 & 2 HD

Ohhhh they mean even multi platform games too! Beg my pardon.

Zeroing

Banned
Oh please, the genius savant Cerny coudnt have devise a way for backcomp and integrate the ps3 psn store disaster into ps5 but able to architect a less powerful machine (on paper) that trades blows with a 12 tf machine. Sony just wasnt interested in giving funding for backcomp tech. Clear as day with what they are doing since last year amputating the ps3 store from the website.
Sure!!! Lol let’s pretend we are tech genius who are involved in developing hardware and software...

-_-

sublimit

Banned
If you really cared to preserve your games you would have bought them physically.

Now take your digital "conveniance" and suck it.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Ohhhh they mean even multi platform games too! Beg my pardon.
No problem.

Also forgot plenty of games

Virtual Fighter 2 & 5
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
Midway Arcade Collection
Final Fight/ Magic Sword
Monster World collection
Streets of Rage Collection
Golden Axe Collection
Crazy Taxi
Daytona
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto 4

This is also off the top of my head

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Oh they absolutely do build on one another. You don't have to like every subsequent game to see how much every one borrows from the past.

SirTerry-T

Ok, they are right about preserving old games, but don’t get distracted by the fact that they are doing it because they don’t have any new games and they are having a lot of trouble getting to a steady output of new games. They are relying a lot in BC and game pass for that same reason.

They are building an ecosystem. So an Xbox user from two years ago will still be an Xbox user in five years time. The "it's because they have no games" mantra, though it obviously holds some truth, is an incredibly narrow minded, and given the way all media consumption seems to be heading, ignorant point of view to hold.

Youtube has free old movies (with ads) from 2000's, 1990's, 1980s, 1970s, etc...

so rather u buying ultra blu-ray disk, blu ray disk, dvd, or even 'downloading it' ...

kind of the same philosophy..

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Mario 64 was phenomenal for it's time but the only thing saving it today is nostalgia. That game is ass.
greenday-what.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Mario 64, in 2021, is still one of the best 3D plattformers out there.

It was a monumental building block that taught players and developers how to approach games in 1996.

It's genius in design, with cleverly made levels, focus on mobility, full off memorable moments, and a catchy and moody soundtrack still shine through to this day.
ftfy

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
"A YouTuber said something vague that I can misconstrue in order to prove that booty juice tastes good."
"A random forum poster with crazy hot takes blames nostalgia to prove filet mignon tastes the same as a $1 ribeye from the dollar tree."

Edit:

All you said to dismiss the game was "but...but... nostalgia".
That in itself is already a very ignorant way of criticism, but going further, there are still plenty of people discovering Mario 64 to this very day, people that played it the first time years after its original release in 1996.

Are they all "fooled by nostalgia" or are they just, well, genuinely enjoying the game and can see the historical impact it made, without resorting to redundant and unnuanced rhetoric.

It all seems like your passion ain't really video games as a whole, your passion just revolves around the latest games. Do what you do, but you'll miss out on a lot with that tunnel vision. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

RCU005

They are building an ecosystem. So an Xbox user from two years ago will still be an Xbox user in five years time. The "it's because they have no games" mantra, though it obviously holds some truth, is an incredibly narrow minded, and given the way all media consumption seems to be heading, ignorant point of view to hold.

Well, it is not an ignorant point of view, because the "they have no games" mantra it's actually true and this situation has fueled the need for them to rely on old games. Clearly, they are trying to do a long term plan with BC and Game Pass to build an ecosystem like you said, and that could probably gain them more popularity.

The issue I have is that Microsoft consider any game a "game". Like they haven't established a style that works for them. They think people will want a small indie game as much as a AAA game. They say thinks like "We have 10 games coming this month", even if 9 out go those 10 are mobile-like games. They don't understand that while all games can be good, they don't hold the same value for gamers.

Nintendo has a very established strategy of family oriented games. They dominate that market. You want a family (or kid game) you get Mario, Yoshi, Zelda, etc.

Sony has the AAA cinematic single player games dominated. You want a cinematic experience? You get TLOU, Uncharted, Spider-Man, etc.

What does Microsoft have? They were known for FPS games, but not anymore, I believe. People consider Xbox a great place to play third party games, but I don't think that has been enough for them to gain the sells they want (or need).

kyoji

(y)

Kumomeme

Uuuh...you realize sony is doing the same thing with ps now right? At least microsoft gives you the option to buy the old games and play them locally without gamepass. Something sony cant be assed to do for their ps3 library. But this is where we are i guess. You have to defend your favorite plastic box maker right? And before you try to turn that back around on me, i have given, and will continue to give microsoft shit for their embarrassing lack of big exclusive games for their brand new consoles. What happened with halo infinite is fucking embarassing.
why you too quick jump to console warring attack?
What i cant voiced my opinion regardless my stance? i also looking for gamepass once it available on my country. just chill bruh no need to get that angry. relax.

i responded this to other users here regarding this incase you missed it:

nobody said sony is different and nobody said people cant buy old game. thats why i believe this type of model wont replace our traditional one despite lot of people kind of believe it would.

c'mon bruh no need to get offended toward everything. just chill man.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I've been extremely impressed with Microsoft with the Xbox Series X and how they've been handling backwards compatibility.

Finally, consoles are being treated like PCs (at least from Microsoft) where your previous games work on your new machine. You can still buy Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games. You can even buy the discs and they work. I also love the idea that your system will download the appropriate build of the game and categorize it in the library so you know you are playing an upgraded version.

I'm primarily a PC gamer but I usually get Sony's system for the exclusives. I'm getting an Xbox Series X despite having a PC just for Xbox backwards compatibility and as a companion piece. If Microsoft can just get some real exclusives this generation, this generation could be much closer this time around. They really need their version of Last of Us and Uncharted.

Kagey K

Banned
I dunno, I’ve been trying to play Morrowind on game pass and this game is really bad
Just because it doesn’t hold your hand and throw markers on the field every 5 seconds and there aren’t a million YouTube videos about it doesn’t make it bad.

Once upon a time you used to have to explore and discover it all for yourself.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just because it doesn’t hold your hand and throw markers on the field every 5 seconds and there aren’t a million YouTube videos about it doesn’t make it bad.

Once upon a time you used to have to explore and discover it all for yourself.
I have to point out that in this instance personal opinions for games are completely irrelevant because the goal is to preserve them.
I don't like Altered Beast, but that doesn't mean it should be erased from history.

Ozzie666

Preserving games fits perfectly into their Gamepass strategy, if gives them content. Seems like an entirely different business model to Sony and Nintendo's more traditional paths. Also Nintendo and Sony have more history and games on their side, even though Playstation only has 1 extra generation over Microsoft, it's a pretty big one. Nintendo and Sega are far worse with their game catalogs and saving them.

Also shouldn't third party developers do some of the heavy lifting too? They honestly don't seem to care too much about preserving their games.

RAIDEN1

Well at least Republic Commando is coming out, who'd have thought that would get a fresh lick of paint?

Top Bottom