• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft patent points to Xbox One controller tweaks.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox-One-Controller-patent-696x358.jpg

A patent titled ‘Thumbstick for user input device’ was published in February 2020 and it points to Xbox Controller improvements. The patent aims to improve the tiltable components of the controller.

Further, Microsoft says the controller has been modified to provide improved tension-adjustment functionality to accommodate different users with different preferences for the tension applied to a thumbstick during manipulation.

“For example, a thumbstick with higher tension provides greater resistance to being tilted by a user’s thumb or finger relative to a thumbstick with lesser tension. Some users may prefer higher tilt tension in a thumbstick, while others may prefer a lower tilt tension,” the patent reads.

The patent filing also points to other under-the-hood improvements. In the filing, Microsoft says the Controller has adjustable-tension thumbsticks that utilize a threaded engagement between a tiltable post and a base coupled to the thumbstick cap.

“The tiltable post comprises external threads at a distal end, a post anchor feature, and a proximal end opposite to the distal end. An adjustable tensioning mechanism is configured to modify a tilt tension of the tiltable post,” the filing reads.

All I want is paddles to come as standard with the XBSX controller, not having to take your finger off of the other control stick to do basic functions like jumping and reloading makes FPS games so much more playable on console!

Last edited:
The ergonomics of Elite 1 and Elite 2 are not as good as Dualshock 4. They should make progress in this regard.

Lmfao gtfo. The dualshock 4 gave me severe wrist issues resembling carpal tunnel. Used it to play shooters fairly competitively for 5+ years. Never had the same issues with the 360 or Xbox one x controller (although those are brutal on the left thumb for sprinting and in some cases, on the fingers).

The DS1/2/3 were all designed for tiny hands (like an objective fact). They obviously didn't want to go too far with the ds4 and that's part of the reason the 'handles' are both still too short and do not conform in any ergonomic fashion to the inside of your palm (they don't fill it enough). With both thumbs on sticks, it's easy for the angle of your wrists to remain extreme for extended periods without something to assist in maintaining proper posture (the thumb should do the 'reaching' rather than the wrist). Hence, your wrists suffer more quickly from repeated stress injury. The dualsense no longer has this problem. It is an improvement in comfort, undoubtedly. Too bad Sony didn't see to this issue sooner in a 7+ year console cycle with one of the most successful home consoles ever. Ironic that MS went the wrong direction this generation.

Last edited:
Lmfao gtfo. The dualshock 4 gave me severe wrist issues resembling carpal tunnel. Used it to play shooters fairly competitively for 5+ years. Never had the same issues with the 360 or Xbox one x controller (although those are brutal on the left thumb for sprinting and in some cases, on the fingers).

The DS1/2/3 were all designed for tiny hands (like an objective fact). They obviously didn't want to go too far with the ds4 and that's part of the reason the 'handles' are both still too short and do not conform in any ergonomic fashion the inside of your palm (they don't fill it enough) Hence, your wrists suffer more quickly from repeated stress injury. The dualsense no longer has this problem. It is an improvement in comfort, undoubtedly. Too bad Sony didn't see to this issue in a 7+ year console cycle with one of the most successful home consoles ever.
I think you have fucked up hands.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Use google. It's your friend. Can't help that you're a casual. MS spend a lot more on the xbox one controller than sony did on the ds4. Ergonomics are a thing. I think they screwed up the stick tension which is why the ds4 was my preferred shooter controller but ergonomically, it's undeniably a disaster
It's undeniably comfortable for a lot of people. It may not be comfortable for you, but just because someone else isn't injured by it doesn't mean the Xbox controller isn't great.

WRT the patent, interesting ideas but it seems pretty niche. Like maybe geared toward professional gamers? I've never really felt like I wish I could adjust my thumbstick tension on a controller besides the n64, but maybe I'm just missing out.

Valkyria

Banned
Use google. It's your friend. Can't help that you're a casual. MS spend a lot more on the xbox one controller than sony did on the ds4. Ergonomics are a thing. I think they screwed up the stick tension which is why the ds4 was my preferred shooter controller but ergonomically, it's undeniably a disaster

Quality shitposting here. I see high potential to future copy pasta.

MrFunSocks

Banned
WRT the patent, interesting ideas but it seems pretty niche. Like maybe geared toward professional gamers? I've never really felt like I wish I could adjust my thumbstick tension on a controller besides the n64, but maybe I'm just missing out.
This was for the Elite 2 controller. It's been out for ages with adjustable tension on the thumbsticks.

I don't need google to find out anything about the controllers. This "casual" has a Xbox one, DS4, dual sense, and xbox elite 2 controller, all feel fine, if you are having problems with any of them that means something is wrong with your hands due to repetitive motion it doesn't like. If you have carpal T writing hurts but that's most likely from repetitive use of a mouse. There isn't a disaster problem with the design of pens.

"Disaster" is a hyperbole.

rolandss

Anyone think this is reactionary to the PS5s force feedback triggers and comparisons made that Sony introduced something new this gen while MS didn’t?

MDSLKTR

In Halo MCC you can disable pad rumble and leave the triggers pulse on, it's just ok. Since the Xbox triggers have the most coverage on the fingers they could massively refine them but please please do not add trigger time tensions -_-

Top Bottom