• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Patent Could Lead to AI-Composed Video Game Soundtracks

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft has filed a patent on WIPO IP Portal titled "ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE MODELS FOR COMPOSING AUDIO SCORES." Microsoft is inventing an intelligent audio composing technology for creating sounds, music and other audio elements for all sorts of media like movies, TV shows, games, and even live recordings. The patent mentions dynamic moments in games, suggesting that it could create scores that change to fit in with the player's actions. The abstract for the patent states that parameters can be set using visual, audio, and textual features and prompts (collectively termed as 'Dataset') to instruct the multitude of AI models construct audio scores.

The recent advent of AI has been revolutionary and has crossed with multiple disciplines of art and media. Although more than a few AI tools for audio generation have been released already, Microsoft's latest patent seems to suggest that their proprietary AI model ecosystem will be the most comprehensive and advanced system of machine assisted audio creation till date.

The patent description goes into detail about the multitudes of AI engines which are tasked to perform the audio scores in accordance to the provided datasets. They can analyze human expressions and sentiments, collect location data, analyze the tone of the situation and much more. The AI can learn about pictures, videos, films, live events and produce a set of audio files that can layer the visuals with appropriate sound effects and music. This hi-tech AI can open up many exciting avenues for media creation. One can produce films, games, etc. with a huge library of every growing audio scores. Designing an epic orchestral piece for the hero's entrance, composing a melancholic tune for the passing of a pet, developing sound effects for gunfire and explosions; all of these can be entrusted to the AI's algorithm. As a side effect, the composers and sound designers might face some competition.

..3-1.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So would this be MS using the AI to create tunes for the game (which everyone gets the same music per siatuation), or the AI is smart enough to make it's own music on the fly and each gamer can get their own random AI music?

baphomet

So would this be MS using the AI to create tunes for the game (which everyone gets the same music per siatuation), or the AI is smart enough to make it's own music on the fly and each gamer can get their own random AI music?

They wouldn't put it in game without a human verifying the quality of the generated music beforehand.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Ai music as noted has been on the way for a long time, it will be on something you play in the next ten years, I'm sure.

You can already license AI music for your advert, podcast, etc.

What's of concern is this:
seemed good enough for me
Good enough is one thing, but great is another and as time passes, will good enough become an aim for cost saving purposes for the media we consume?

On the other hand if it's good enough, we might never notice, I suppose.

Either way, good luck composers, get ready for some work to disappear and for pressure on your budgets to increase.

Last edited:
As long as they don't use the AI the Japanese Anime industry uses on Every anime opening the past decade or more. All anime opening music sounds the same.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Damn Mick Gordon has set on an avalanche lol.

I think EA is already using AI to make their soundtracks
Just listen to this crap.

Within the first few seconds it was like hearing that hideous Harry Potter flute meme.

Couldn't hear the rest because I was busy stabbing myself in the ears.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I think this is great. Many artists are over paid and it is leveling the whole industry to a lower standard. The real great artists will still have their space while the mediocre ones will need to fight for what is left.

I think this is great. Many artists are over paid and it is leveling the whole industry to a lower standard. The real great artists will still have their space while the mediocre ones will need to fight for what is left.
It's only great if it doesn't sound like uninspired shit.

And since it's AI, it'll be uninspired shit.

intbal

Looking forward to the day when we can have AI-run corporations and all CEOs are put to work in the mail room.

Knightime_X

This is a god-awful idea.

gka79x.gif
Not really.
AI will in inevitably blow the doors off anything a human can do.
AI is kinda like putting everyone's knowledge together and doing its own thing that can be steered.
If its not good now, wait and it'll be better than godlike later.
ai takes time

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Not really.
AI will in inevitably blow the doors off anything a human can do.
AI is kinda like putting everyone's knowledge together and doing its own thing that can be steered.
If its not good now, wait and it'll be better than godlike later.
ai takes time

...and we all gonna just sit and watch, i get it. We will unreflectively rely on artificial intelligence because ours will no longer be sufficient enough to create anything.

It's nice to hear slogans like "don't work harder, just smarter", but anyone with more than the minimum of life experience knows that this is not entirely true.
I come from an environment that values freedom of expression in the creative process. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes effort. But at the same time it gives meaning to what you do and who you are. As someone who loves music, i can't imagine the role of an artist being limited to creating mere audio banks, in a way that allows A.I. efficient editing possibilities.

There are better areas where such algorithms could help musicians in their work (mixing, detection and elimination of artifacts, more effective matching of sound parameters to room acoustics, etc.).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
AI's can paint some gnarly shit, would be interesting to see how they work on generating audio.
Yeah ai paintings are crazy.
But at the same time there are tons of people who want and love to do this. Ai is still only based of these works

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think EA is already using AI to make their soundtracks
Just listen to this crap.

I dont think the first music AI program in alpha mode version 1.0 with zero QA could produce music as bad as 2042. I'd bet my 10 year old nephew could put together something better on his electric keyboard with built in tempo and beats.

For good laughs gaffers, find thrh Angry Joe 2042 review where in the middle of it he listens to it.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

...and we all gonna just sit and watch, i get it. We will unreflectively rely on artificial intelligence because ours will no longer be sufficient enough to create anything.

It's nice to hear slogans like "don't work harder, just smarter", but anyone with more than the minimum of life experience knows that this is not entirely true.
I come from an environment that values freedom of expression in the creative process. Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes effort. But at the same time it gives meaning to what you do and who you are. As someone who loves music, i can't imagine the role of an artist being limited to creating mere audio banks, in a way that allows A.I. efficient editing possibilities.

There are better areas where such algorithms could help musicians in their work (mixing, detection and elimination of artifacts, more effective matching of sound parameters to room acoustics, etc.).
You can always infuse ai with your own work as well.

SHA

Can AI always match our tastes ? , I don't think so , see , the human element still there to understand our reactions , can't think of ai more than a bunch of short audio files for every object in the game , the boring part to be precise.

recursive

AI's can paint some gnarly shit, would be interesting to see how they work on generating audio.
It will be interesting but I can't help but think that the very best video game music is very often touched by emotion which will be a hard thing to replicate in AI. I suppose it will depend on the game.

Knightime_X

I don't think that -apart from pure curiosity or temporal lack of inspiration- i need any interference of something that does not have and will never have any idea what music means for a human being.
Ai doesn't know anything about art yet stable diffusion, dall-e , etc. Exists with incredible works.

Might not mean anything to you, but probably everything to someone who wants to express themselves but lack the talent, money, and means.

Venom Snake

Gold Member
Ai doesn't know anything about art yet stable diffusion, dall-e , etc. Exists with incredible works.

Might not mean anything to you, but probably everything to someone who wants to express themselves but lack the talent, money, and means.

I'm fine with it as long as it suits your need for expression. Sure, why not.

But if you want to sell a product and be absolutely sure that it will meet the required criteria - hire an artist. Quality never comes cheap and shouldn't come cheap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom