• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft might buy Bloober Team (creators of The Medium) next

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Yeah but what is Microsoft's track record of developing it's developers? It seems like most of their teams only work on 1 IP. Bungie left because they did not want to keep making Halo. Lionhead was nothing but Fable until they closed down. I get the feeling that The Coalition and 343i are going to be making Gears and Halo forever if everything goes according to plan. Even when those studios do step out of their boxes they get mixed at best results. Rare is a prime example of this. They were rock stars in the 90's and have been middling in terms of critical reception since. Microsoft pushing Kinect games on them was a mismanagement of resources, imo. If MS acquire Bloober team and The Medium is a success, I hope (for their sake) that they already wanted to do 5 or 6 sequels.
Contrast with Sony and Nintendo. Nintendo is a bit less structured, they seem to let any of their internal development teams and even outside studios take a crack at any of their IPs. Sony's studios seem to create new IPs every gen (except for Polyphony (I doubt they care to) and San Diego studio) and they generally get more and more critical and commercial success as time goes on. If Microsoft owned Naughty Dog I have little doubt that we would be waiting on Uncharted 6 by now and TLOU would have never seen the light of day.
"Bungie left" like you can just leave as you wish. Microsoft let them go. 343i and Turn 10 will work on only Halo and Forza, its something both they and the fans want. No one is tired of them as some people here like to beleive. Coalition on the other hand has been hinting on working on another IP for a while
Rare has been doing as they wish for a while though, Sea of Thieves and now Everwild. Most other studios were doing as they wish though and so is true for newer studios. Playground Games doing a RPG. Ninja Theory doing Project Mara alongside Hellblade II(and building a second studio). Obsidian working on multiple projects. Undead Labs opening second studio for new IP.
You are willing to ignore Polyphony and San Diego(might I add Santa Monica studio too), but chose to go after the whole of XGS for 343i and Turn 10.
Contrast with Sony
Sony has closed more studios than Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)
Microsoft also lets outside studios have a crack on their IPs. Forza Horizon by Playground Games(they were an outside studio and it is now more popular than the main series), Gears Tactics by Splash Damage, Flight Simulator by many different studios over time etc.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They should definitely create a New AAA studio consisting of 2 teams for the Japanese market.
Too much talent in Japan to not have a studio based there.
Im pretty sure they have either an announcement of a new Japanese studio or building one, somewhere in the cards.

geordiemp

I remember as a mainly 360 gamer MS used to have exclusive or linked to Xbox series such as

Bioshock
Mass effect
Dead rising
Halo
Gears
Crackdown
Ninja Gaiden

Just the ones I fondly remember. And then last gen nothing happened but yearly racers is all I recall, nothing else stood out. Letting Gaiden die was the biggest sin.

I would rather MS focussed on 6 or 7 large teams and get must play games with pedigree back rather than rushing to fill game pass with forgetables.

I would rather them have less and bigger teams, just my opinion. THere is no shortage of games, most have massive backlogs, I dont care for just more, make people stand up and notice.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
The Coalition can take a Gears hiatus after Gears 6, I want to play the final game of the current trilogy.
Lol. I'll agree. I'm interested to see how they make Gears 6 after the decision/cliffhanger from 5. How will they make 6 based on choices from 5?

I do think Gears 5 MP plays like shit, even compared to 4. So hopefully they work on that.

Genx3

They're not even remotely comparable. Bloomer doesn't have the track of Bioware and Bizarre at the time. Microsoft wants to offer the Netflix of Games, which can only succeed with a steady release of content. Dev acquisitions will keep a steady release of content.

I never stated Bloober was on the level of Bioware or even Bizarre Creations just that if MS believes in the developer and they have a good working relationship they should absolutely go in and purchase them. MS can then grow those teams into bigger more talented studios. Much better than losing creative talent that could compromise the quality of your exclusives down the line.

12Dannu123

So, you're saying they'll have more mindshare/marketshare than Sony in terms of exclusive games because they'll be on PC/Xbox whereas Sony's will just be on PS5? That's your argument?

It's a valid augment, especially with XCloud in the mix. Because it means that Microsoft's games will be widespread and therefore more mindshare.

I remember as a mainly 360 gamer MS used to have exclusive or linked to Xbox series such as

Bioshock
Mass effect
Dead rising
Halo
Gears
Crackdown
Ninja Gaiden

Just the ones I fondly remember. And then last gen nothing happened but yearly racers is all I recall, nothing else stood out. Letting Gaiden die was the biggest sin.

I would rather MS focussed on 6 or 7 large teams and get must play games with pedigree back rather than rushing to fill game pass with forgetables.

I would rather them have less and bigger teams, just my opinion. THere is no shortage of games, most have massive backlogs, I dont care for just more, make people stand up and notice.

That's a unsustainable model, it's the exact reason Sony will likely struggle to transition to a Game Pass model. Because Game Pass model requires a steady release of games and multiple AAA Big budget games every year is unrealistic unless you have a very large number of studios.

Acquiring studios is arguably more throwing money at the problem than what I'm suggesting.

Good, welcome to capitalism. Microsoft should acquire more studios that have good records. The world doesn't work like the way you're describing.

Last edited:

Dolomite

25 teams sure. 25 studios seems like a whole lot
They have 15 studios now. If this rumor pans out to be true that's another 3( unless they keep the three teams together) . All signs point toward expansion and division amongst studios. I can count on my fingers the studios working on a single project. Most are already split into 2-3 teams all Working on new IP's or maintaining current titles.
Honestly I feel like MS will be on some sweatshop shit this gen to meet that. "Netflix of gaming" title 😂😂

Dolomite

Yeah. Funny to see the evolution from ‘Xbox has no games Lol’ to ‘Xbox games are Gamepass filler’. Gotta have a crutch to lean on right?

Potentially a good signing - the more studios pumping out games the better.
Yeah The goalpost according to Gaf will be in orbit by the end of this gen. There is literally no pleasing someone who never intended to buy the console to begin with😂😂

jakinov

Good, welcome to capitalism. Microsoft should acquire more studios that have good records. The world doesn't work like the way you're describing.
I would argue the more capitalist approach would be to take the the risk to create the studios for the higher rewards. And also more capitalism to use your ability to pay people high amounts of money to convince talented leadership at other companies to come work for your company for more money.

12Dannu123

I would argue the more capitalist approach would be to take the the risk to create the studios for the higher rewards. And also more capitalism to use your ability to pay people high amounts of money to convince talented leadership at other companies to come work for your company for more money.

How's it different from buying a high-quality studio? Both lead to the same goal.

jakinov

How's it different from buying a high-quality studio? Both lead to the same goal.
Except they arguably aren't buying high quality studios. They are picking studios with inconsistent track records and pumping money into them. What Microsoft is doing is buying a studio, pumping money into them and hoping that with the money (and support) they can become better developers. Whereas, what I'm suggesting is forming brand new studios with leadership that don't have a bad track record by convincing talented people to come drive/run your new studio. There's not a whole lot of high-quality studios with strong track records that are interdependently owned for Microsoft to buy. So they've just been buying arguably the best of what's leftover. With creating a new studio, you can at least pull in very good talent from one of those studios that are already owned by someone to run your studio instead of betting on the leadership of studios that aren't consistently successful or ever really at all.

Bkdk

Layers of fear 2 and Blair witch are both mediocre. However I do wish to see them bringing back the grudge or the ring. Should be a manageable project for this team with slightly more funding.

TheGrat1

"Bungie left" like you can just leave as you wish. Microsoft let them go.
I never said they could leave as they wish. Microsoft let them go because they made it clear they wanted to leave. Distressed assets are of little value. There is nothing about Destiny that precludes MGS from funding and publishing it so why did they not? Because they had no interest in allowing Bungie to branch out. So Bungie cut a deal where they put in two more Halo games, left the Halo IP behind and bounced. Compare, once again, to Sony who were willing to back Insomniac on a game even though they did not think it would sell.

343i and Turn 10 will work on only Halo and Forza, its something both they and the fans want. No one is tired of them as some people here like to beleive. Coalition on the other hand has been hinting on working on another IP for a while
Nothing in that link indicates or hints that they will be working on a new IP. Fergusson literally just says "never say never" indicating that he has no idea and no control. Dude does not even work at the Coalition anymore so who cares what he says? Notice how hardly anyone in the thread you linked believes they will be allowed to make new IPs. Bungie was "open to" making new IPs as well, how did that work out?

Rare has been doing as they wish for a while though, Sea of Thieves and now Everwild.
Like I said: Middling results. In this generation they have released Killer Instinct (73 meta), Kinect 🤢 Sports Rivals (60 Meta), Rare Replay (84 Meta) and Sea of Thieves (67 meta). When the best game your "do as they wish" (and second largest) studio puts out in 7 years is a compilation of old games, that is a problem.
( Most other studios were doing as they wish though and so is true for newer studios. Playground Games doing a RPG. Ninja Theory doing Project Mara alongside Hellblade II(and building a second studio). Obsidian working on multiple projects. Undead Labs opening second studio for new IP.
You are willing to ignore Polyphony and San Diego(might I add Santa Monica studio too), but chose to go after the whole of XGS for 343i and Turn 10.
I do not go after Turn 10. Like Polyphony I doubt they have interest in working on anything else and the sim racing genre is pretty niche as it is. Having a studio dedicated to it makes sense. I give San Diego a pass because they make a YEARLY sports game. Like other yearly sports dev teams I doubt they have the time to work on anything else especially because they have to develop for multiple platforms now. I give Mojang a pass too because they started out pretty small and Minecraft is their baby. I would hope they get into something new this upcoming generation, though.
Sony Santa Monica does more than develop their own games, though. They are like a coaching studio that helps co-develop games like Fat Princess.
343i, Bungie before them, Lionhead, The Coalition, and PlayGround all have only ever handled one IP since being acquired by MS. 5 other devs have yet to release a single game since being acquired. The new studios are being allowed to do as they wish because they have no track record of success yet. If they do they will turn into a mill like the Coalition.

Sony has closed more studios than Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)
Microsoft also lets outside studios have a crack on their IPs. Forza Horizon by Playground Games(they were an outside studio and it is now more popular than the main series), Gears Tactics by Storylab Productions, Flight Simulator by many different studios over time etc.
Strawman. This is not about who closes more studios. You said that Bloober will grow under Microsoft. I questioned their track record of actually helping their devs become better than they used to be. There is a reason the HaloGearsForza narrative exists: Because for years those have been the only games you can count on from MS being decent.

SaucyJack

Like I said: Middling results. In this generation they have released Killer Instinct (73 meta), Kinect 🤢 Sports Rivals (60 Meta), Rare Replay (84 Meta) and Sea of Thieves (67 meta). When the best game your "do as they wish" (and second largest) studio puts out in 7 years is a compilation of old games, that is a problem.

Such a shame what's happened to Rare.

The company has never recovered from the departure of the Stampers who gave their people a lot of creative freedom, This is the totality of Rare's output in the 13 years since they left, the first three (2x360 and 1 DS game) were developed before they left but released after:

vqBvoJj.jpg

This is horrifically bad in comparison just Rare's previous output. You want to guess how many games they released in the 13 years prior to that?

Rolla

Banned
Turn 10, 343i, Coalition and Initiative were created by Microsoft.

Coalition, formerly black Tusk, Formerly "Zipline" was purchased by Microsoft.
343 was founded by EX "Bungie" devs who decided to stay after Bungie broke free from being chained to Halo.

Lets be factual in our discourse.

Bernkastel

Compare, once again, to Sony who were willing to back Insomniac on a game even though they did not think it would sell.
And Sony refused to fund Sunset Overdrive because Insomniac wanted to own the IP and Microsoft let them own it.
Nothing in that link indicates or hints that they will be working on a new IP. Fergusson literally just says "never say never" indicating that he has no idea and no control. Dude does not even work at the Coalition anymore so who cares what he says? Notice how hardly anyone in the thread you linked believes they will be allowed to make new IPs. Bungie was "open to" making new IPs as well, how did that work out?
Maybe you should stop looking at posts supporting your bias.
There have been many hints of Coalition doing a new IP for a while. There tone on these matters is very different from 343i and Turn 10. Also, Rod said that when he was still on Coalition.
Killer Instinct (73 meta)
Killer Instinct Season 2 was 85 and Season 3 was 86. Just making it clear.
As for Rare Sea of Theives turned out to be a commercial success and they are making Everwild now.
PlayGround have only ever handled one IP
They literally publicly announced working on a RPG on E3 2018. They have a whole second studio for a while.
no track record of success yet.
Obsidian, Playground Games and Ninja Theory have a track record for success. Ninja Theory is working on 2 different projects(Hellblade II and Project Mara) and are building a second studio. Obsidian is working on multiple projects
mill like the Coalition.
You know Coalition came into existence this gen. They have only made 2 Gears games(Tactics was by Splash Damage), that way a lot of Sony studios will be milked.
they have no track record of success
You are talking so much about track record. What about many of Sony's studios before acquisition ? Like Guerilla Games, Bend, Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog ?

Bernkastel

343 was founded by EX "Bungie" devs who decided to stay after Bungie broke free from being chained to Halo.

343i was not created by ex-Bungie devs. Dont know why people still spread this FUD.
Ziplline was created by Microsoft not purchased. Honestly, for all purposes Zipline/Vancouver/Black Tusk is a different studio than Coalition. Post Rod Fergusson they were joined by a new team hired by him vastly outnumbering the original staff and none of the original staff were given any executive position in the studio. Its Coalition absorbed a small studio. But whatever.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

343 was founded by Bonnie Ross who was a Microsoft employee when Bungie parted company. It absolutely is an internally created studio.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
So this thread reached the nonsense point where theres people arguing that 343 was acquired by Microsfoft. Alright.

TBiddy

I love how you barge in like that, only to be wrong.

Bernkastel

Both Techland and The Astronaut came out and debunked acquisition rumours, but not Bloober Team

Leyasu

Banned
That's a unsustainable model, it's the exact reason Sony will likely struggle to transition to a Game Pass model. Because Game Pass model requires a steady release of games and multiple AAA Big budget games every year is unrealistic unless you have a very large number of studios.
12 studios on 3 yr dev cycles mean a publisher can pump out a game every 4 months. Microsoft have a few more than that too. Managed right, things should be great

Bernkastel

12 studios on 3 yr dev cycles mean a publisher can pump out a game every 4 months. Microsoft have a few more than that too. Managed right, things should be great
They are not on a 3 year dev cycle. Halo Infinite, Playground Games RPG and Hellblade II are taking way longer than just 3 years.

Leyasu

Banned
They are not on a 3 year dev cycle. Halo Infinite, Playground Games RPG and Hellblade II are taking way longer than just 3 years.
I was talking hypothetically. Halo took 5 yrs because they had to first build the engine.

But you get the picture that I was trying to draw no?

Top Bottom