• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is updating Xbox Series X game box designs

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Best Buy is currently carrying listings for at least two upcoming Xbox games featuring a new box art; Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator.

It was also reportedly carrying one for Forza Horizon 5, as shown in the comparison image at the bottom of this article, which was originally posted on the Xbox News Twitter.

While the Forza Horizon 5 physical version seemingly cannot be found listed online, a digital version of the game does also include the updated design.

The updated design removes the word ‘Xbox’ from the existing box art template and moves the Xbox logo from the top centre of the box to the top left. The game’s platforms are also listed on a white background rather than on a black one.

It’s unclear if the updated design has been leaked by Best Buy or is merely an error, but we’ve asked Microsoft for comment.

Halo-Infinite-Best-Buy-listing-1440x1440.jpg
Flight-Simulator-Best-Buy-listing-768x768.jpg

Thanks mods for the title change

GIF by Westminster Kennel Club

Last edited:

Best Buy is currently carrying listings for at least two upcoming Xbox games featuring a new box art; Halo Infinite and Flight Simulator.

It was also reportedly carrying one for Forza Horizon 5, as shown in the comparison image at the bottom of this article, which was originally posted on the Xbox News Twitter.

While the Forza Horizon 5 physical version seemingly cannot be found listed online, a digital version of the game does also include the updated design.

The updated design removes the word ‘Xbox’ from the existing box art template and moves the Xbox logo from the top centre of the box to the top left. The game’s platforms are also listed on a white background rather than on a black one.

It’s unclear if the updated design has been leaked by Best Buy or is merely an error, but we’ve asked Microsoft for comment.

Halo-Infinite-Best-Buy-listing-1440x1440.jpg
Flight-Simulator-Best-Buy-listing-768x768.jpg

so no xbox one or S version of flight simulator???

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Series S doesn't have a disc drive. No point in mentioning the S on a disc. It would only make things (more) confusing.

No xbox one version of Flight Sim of course.

Oh duh, no disc drive no disc - makes sense, but went right over my head.

FS2020 on Xone would be hilarious. It's by far the most advanced next gen game so far and could likely hold the title for the entire gen. I've heard most good gaming PCs run it at only 30 fps, so the X1 would probably be reduced to 480p at 2 fps. 🤣🤣🤣

ZehDon

Looks very clean. I don't think they need the Smart Delivery or Series X in the top right. Surely Smart Delivery is back-of-the-box stuff, and Series X is redundant if they've got the specific versions listed near the logo?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Oh duh, no disc drive no disc - makes sense, but went right over my head.

FS2020 on Xone would be hilarious. It's by far the most advanced next gen game so far and could likely hold the title for the entire gen. I've heard most good gaming PCs run it at only 30 fps, so the X1 would probably be reduced to 480p at 2 fps. 🤣🤣🤣
Whoa, you know the code base of this game, and every other next gen game? Do tell!

elliot5

Looks very clean. I don't think they need the Smart Delivery or Series X in the top right. Surely Smart Delivery is back-of-the-box stuff, and Series X is redundant if they've got the specific versions listed near the logo?
I think it's temporary stuff like how Forza isn't the final box art yet. It wouldn't make sense to have smart delivery on the disc version at all for flight sim anyway. The digital edition would smartly pull down the S vs X assets but cuz S has no disc drive anyway it's pointless to include lol.

I think cross gen games it's good to have those in there on the front because it means optimized for series x and free transfer between the family devices.

Quantum253

Series S doesn't have a disc drive. No point in mentioning the S on a disc. It would only make things (more) confusing.

No xbox one version of Flight Sim of course.
I never realized the S was discless. And you are correct, I imagine just having Xbox one and X is confusing for the end consumer. Back in the day I worked for Gamestop and people would try to buy Nintendo games for Xbox, Xbox games for PlayStation. They would have a look of confusion when explaining the different systems. Nevermind trying to explain the same companies/different systems.

Kilau

Gold Member
Eh, it’s kinda bland and I’ve never been a fan Xbox green cases.

I can’t imagine ever buying a physical Xbox game anyway.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

No, the series X is needed badly to stop xbox one owners from buying it.....

TLZ

Banned
Too much white and too much space.

Make it smaller and maybe also change the white.

Edit: actually take off the white altogether and just keep the logo on the left. The console versions can go on the right just like it is now with transparent background. No need to have it mentioned twice on the right and left. It'll look much cleaner.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Just wait until they sell an attachable disc drive for the S a few years from now.

ZehDon

No, the series X is needed badly to stop xbox one owners from buying it.....
But in the top left near the Logo it says "Series X" in black-on-white text clear as day. Why do they then need a white "Series X" logo in the top right that's harder to read?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But in the top left near the Logo it says "Series X" in black-on-white text clear as day. Why do they then need a white "Series X" logo in the top right that's harder to read?

Good point, perhaps the idea instead then is easy to see for Series X people, since the other side has both X and Xbox one?

Zeroing

Banned
Yeah you are right! As a design standpoint doesn’t make much sense. They could use that unused space for something else.

They should wire me! I work for food, usually.

CamHostage

Cut down 5 Xbox brands to just 3, that's a nice start. And getting rid of the massive "Optimized For Series X" is kind of them, respectful of the art. It's all a little bigger now without the Xbox bar too. Still not sure why they have to post the Series X logo and the Series X nametag. The black banner was cleaner than the garish white, and it's going to stand out a little less on your shelf without the green sideband, but all in all, it's an improvement.

Always wondered why they never mentioned series s on the box, went over my head that it's digital only 😂
Glad I'm not the only one
Crazy that they don't just slip a redemption code in the box for a digital copy to sell at retail. They'd have to 1:1 the disc and the code (or require disc users to also scan the code, which would be easier), but that'd give them a retail product. Xbox Series S is such a Christmas-gift-type of console, it's strange that then the only way you can gift games to owners of it is a XBL cash card.

Last edited:

CamHostage

so no xbox one or S version of flight simulator???
Not for Xbox One, even back when Microsoft was talking about its 'two years of support for Xbox One', Flight Sim was always the one that would be pointed to and they'd say, "Oh yeah, but that one, I don't know..." It's just a massive and complex work of technology, and who knows what would be left of it if they tried to cram it onto the One.

Despite that, though, developer Asobi has not yet ruled out Xbox One, as of January. If there's still demand, maybe they'd be called back to do it. (I think they should just offer Flight Sim on XCLOUD and let Xb One players get it that way, don't burden this fine studio with such a horrifying task...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom