• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is planning a 'What's next for gaming' Xbox event in the coming weeks

fart town usa

Gold Member
Microsoft seems really hungry to position themselves for long term success. It seems like instead of opting for sales dominance, they're utilizing their resources to show potential buyers what they're doing to make their console/platform worth investing in. I've never been a big XBOX gamer but they have really impressed me in their focus on BC and the purchases they're making. I'll probably get a Series X at some point but I have no use for either new console at this point. Excited to see what they announce though. Hopefully it'll force Sony to address BC in a meaningful way.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Spend all that money on game pass Microsoft.

I haven't bought a single game since I got my series S and 13 months of game pass for 60€ in november.

Dr. Suchong

When I open Gamepass, I have a plethora of games to play. Not sure what you mean.
I should clarify.
More First party exclusives.
Not Halo, Gears, or Forza.
I can't be the only one who feels this way.
Something that would make me want to run out and buy a Series X, because I sincerely want Microsoft to take the fight to Sony.

Dr. Suchong

Xbox has no games: the 23 studios making games right now are never going to release them. Microsoft wants you to think the games are coming so they PRETEND to buy and partner with studios while the reality is really simple: there are no games coming, it was all a dream.
I knew it!!
It's just as I suspected! lol

Mmnow

I should clarify.
Something that would make me want to run out and buy a Series X, because I sincerely want Microsoft to take the fight to Sony.
If all the rumours somehow come together - and it's flimsy but it's all we've got - this year is going to look something like:

PlayStation:
  • Ratchet
  • Returnal
  • Horizon
Xbox:
  • Psychonauts
  • Flight Simulator
  • Wolfenstein 3
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Halo Infinite
  • Starfield
I mean, take out Wolfenstein and Forza Horizon, and that's still a pretty even-handed year. Things get a little hairy if Starfield comes next year or if Horizon is delayed, but that just goes to show how delicate things are because of Covid.

Point being, just because it's not official doesn't mean there aren't a mountain of games on the way that you'll be playing in the next year.

Dr. Suchong

If all the rumours somehow come together - and it's flimsy but it's all we've got - this year is going to look something like:

PlayStation:
  • Ratchet
  • Returnal
  • Horizon
Xbox:
  • Psychonauts
  • Flight Simulator
  • Wolfenstein 3
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Halo Infinite
  • Starfield
I mean, take out Wolfenstein and Forza Horizon, and that's still a pretty even-handed year. Things get a little hairy if Starfield comes next year or if Horizon is delayed, but that just goes to show how delicate things are because of Covid.

Point being, just because it's not official doesn't mean there aren't a mountain of games on the way that you'll be playing in the next year.
Hopefully E3 will give me a real indication of whether or not I'll take the plunge with Series X/S :)

LordCBH

I just wanna see Starfield so I can know whether it’ll be worth buying like skyrim and before, or a hard pass like fallout 4 and after.

Mmnow

Hopefully E3 will give me a real indication of whether or not I'll take the plunge with Series X/S :)
It's cheesy and cliche, but I think this generation is going to be one of the best ever for multi-plat gamers.

But that's going to be true whether you buy an Xbox/PC today or in five years. You just take the plunge on both, one or neither whenever it looks good to you, and you'll have a great time.

Buggy Loop

buckle up star wars GIF by LEGO

Let’s go!! I’m hyped for PC side. Good news on Xbox = good news on PC

I should clarify.

I never understand the Halo, Gears, Forza knock. I’m playing Horizon 4 and it’s one of the best games of last generation to me (and as I’m playing on Series, not too shabby for this generation).

I hope they keep making all three for a long time (I would say four, but regular Forza isn’t my thing).

Dr. Suchong

I never understand the Halo, Gears, Forza knock. I’m playing Horizon 4 and it’s one of the best games of last generation to me (and as I’m playing on Series, not too shabby for this generation).

I hope they keep making all three for a long time (I would say four, but regular Forza isn’t my thing).

Apologies, I was unclear but I wasn't knocking them.
But (maybe with the exception of Forza) Gears and Halo are becoming a tired, bloated series.
Props to the Devs for their efforts but I bet even The Coalition and 343 Industries are bored to death of trying to second guess entitled fans expectations and yearn to try something new.
I play mostly on Playstation, but even I'd concede that the thought of another Uncharted would make me roll my eyes.

Thabass

Don’t get your hopes up and temper expectations. This is likely a developer focused event. Meaning you probably will not see new games or footage of existing.
Correct. Build is a dev conference. You should NOT expect new games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wouldnt mind if Forza 8 was shown. The trailer they showed last summer was about 2 seconds of gameplay.

Last edited:
Whats next for Microsoft has been ‘another gears tittle’ another ‘halo’ game. Hopefully they can develop something interesting now that they own Bethesda

ACESHIGH

Banned
I know it's not at the top of their priorities but maybe they could find a way for PC gamers to play the old BC titles like Gears 2/3/Judgement and more.

I should clarify.
There's plenty of those also. Halo, Gears, Forza, Forza Horizon, Minecraft, Minecraft Dungeons, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, State of Decay, Bleeding Edge, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Grounded, Ori, Battletoads, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Super Lucky's Tail, Killer Instinct, Wasteland 3...

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Gamepass sizzle reel time!

Definitely games being announced from the largest 1st party company

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

There's plenty of those also. Halo, Gears, Forza, Forza Horizon, Minecraft, Minecraft Dungeons, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, State of Decay, Bleeding Edge, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Grounded, Ori, Battletoads, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Super Lucky's Tail, Killer Instinct, Wasteland 3...
"Not" Halo, Gears, Forza.
Aside from Ori and Sunset, very little there appeals to me.
When I say "more First party exclusives", I mean more than that paltry offering.
Most of those titles are a bit long in the tooth now too , lets be honest.
Crackdown (3) was a let down (I was really looking forward to that)
New Super lucky's tale is on Switch and Ps4.
Ninja Theory isn't releasing any more content on Bleeding Edge and it had a pitiful audience anyway (Sadly because I really dug the Art design)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is On Switch.
Recore was average at best.
Minecraft dungeons is on Ps4 and Switch.
Aren't they all available on pc too? or near enough? But then again Playstation big hitters are coming to pc too so there's that.
It's a mess. Is there such thing as an exclusive anymore? What I'm saying is, I want New games on Xbox that sets it apart from it's rivals. Exciting, new, fresh IP's. Otherwise, where's the incentive to buy a X/S?
Forgive my Grammar. What a hot mess that looks above lol :)
I should stress that the ps5 holds no appeal for me at the moment either. Returnal atm perhaps? That's about it.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
It will be focused on upcoming tech and features, and will probably be aimed at devs.

I know it's too much to expect people to read the damn article, but reading OP's summary doesn't seem too big an ask.
yeah this thread is a pretty sad condemnation of how few people here bother to even read OP's before posting

"Not" Halo, Gears, Forza.
Aside from Ori and Sunset, very little there appeals to me.
When I say "more First party exclusives", I mean more than that paltry offering.
Most of those titles are a bit long in the tooth now too , lets be honest.
Crackdown (3) was a let down (I was really looking forward to that)
New Super lucky's tale is on Switch and Ps4.
Ninja Theory isn't releasing any more content on Bleeding Edge and it had a pitiful audience anyway (Sadly because I really dug the Art design)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps is On Switch.
Recore was average at best.
Minecraft dungeons is on Ps4 and Switch.
Aren't they all available on pc too? or near enough? But then again Playstation big hitters are coming to pc too so there's that.
It's a mess. Is there such thing as an exclusive anymore? What I'm saying is, I want New games on Xbox that sets it apart from it's rivals. Exciting, new, fresh IP's. Otherwise, where's the incentive to buy a X/S?
Forgive my Grammar. What a hot mess that looks above lol :)
I should stress that the ps5 holds no appeal for me at the moment either. Returnal atm perhaps? That's about it.
I mean, I don’t disagree, but with 23 studios they will most certainly be righting the ship in a dramatic way.

reksveks

Personally think that you shouldn't expect much here, I think it's going to be a event to announce the expansion of gamepass to ios and PC and then maybe an announcement with someone like Samsung to announce gamepass on thier TV.

Fredrik

Just want to see some gameplay and announcements. Nothing else really matters at this point.

Some Hellblade 2 gameplay is long overdue.
Yeah same here. Gamepass library is great, Retroarch is awesome, but we’re soon half a year after launch, it’s about time we get some nice nextgen game announcements now.

reinking

Gold Member
One thing I have learned over the last few years. XB announcements rarely live up to the hype. I am not blaming MS for this. I am blaming the fans that hype the slightest bit of info leading up to the announcements as if it will change the world.

Concern

One thing I have learned over the last few years. XB announcements rarely live up to the hype. I am not blaming MS for this. I am blaming the fans that hype the slightest bit of info leading up to the announcements as if it will change the world.

I think it goes both ways. Sometimes theyy hype it up too much. Sometimes fans set unrealistic expectations as well.

I just keep low expectations and hope for the best for every event.

MicTyson

Neo Member
Xbox is simply KILLING it this generation.

Notice the ponies are all about "Sales" now? The same thing they complained about during the 360 era.

Top Bottom