• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is not planning to increase prices of Xbox Series X/S

Leyasu

Banned
Not on the same scale and as you pointed out they made out of the gaming sector alone a lot more money, so a lot of that growth was won in gaming, it is not coming from other monopolies to subsidise that. You clearly have no direct response to that and just circle around “but Sony is not poor… but they are spending too” as if it was on the same scale :).
I am sure if you always take your buddies out with your parents money you do feel good and people like your generosity (SEGA fans felt a similar way with Sony on HW investments and subsidies, but it was not where near this scale and Sony was not buying publishers and making their long standing multiplatform games exclusives) ;)

Yeah, the second part of this sentence is the effect of the first part.
Sony would have bought everything they could have and made it all exclusive if they had foreseen what Microsoft was going to do. Lol

Let’s not pretend otherwise shall we

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't think the boards of these companies care about " opposition fans" they are running a business with a long term vision, you obviously do though from your comments and that's a little bit sad.
Coming from you it is precious, much projecting ;).

If you're saying that Microsoft have broken the law then I suggest you get your evidence and provide it to a court, I wish you well with that, I get the feeling someone might have already looked it into it though, just a hunch.
Did I say they are engaged in dumping? Nope, good luck with your strawmen. You were being glib about subsidies/profits from other parts of the business used to prop a product up not being a problem for competition ever… so I expanded on how, in some cases, it can even be a legal problem instead of just being fundamentally anti competition (which you clearly show matters to you only when it is convenient).
I wouldn't be worried about a monopoly,
Of course not, because it is a benevolent one / aligned one the one you are thinking of ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony would have bought everything they could have and made it all exclusive if they had foreseen what Microsoft was going to do. Lol

Let’s not pretend otherwise shall we
Great, when they do that we can call them out on it. Was I calling Sony a saint?

They did not do that, buying large publishers and bringing long standing multiplatform series exckusive, neither they did that while decrying exclusives and promoting gaming for everyone and other platitudes. When they do, fair game.

Edit: thanks CatLady CatLady for going through a reaction score boost rampage, not fishing off it but you are volunteering your help. Appreciate that ;).

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Great, when they do that we can call them out on it. Was I calling Sony a saint?

They did not do that, buying large publishers and bringing long standing multiplatform series exckusive, neither they did that while decrying exclusives and promoting gaming for everyone and other platitudes. When they do, fair game.
They didn’t think that they needed to be that aggressive. They were obviously on the same page as their fanboys in laughing at the war chest meme. They never saw it coming.

But if they had, and had had the money, they would have done the same and made everything exclusive. You know this as well as anyone. No point crying about Microsoft doing it. It’s just unfortunate for certain people that it was Microsoft with the money and not Sony

Listen I don’t give a shit but people keep parroting “buying a publisher” blah blah should they have refused?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Coming from you it is precious, much projecting ;).

Did I say they are engaged in dumping? Nope, good luck with your strawmen. You were being glib about subsidies/profits from other parts of the business used to prop a product up not being a problem for competition ever… so I expanded on how, in some cases, it can even be a legal problem instead of just being fundamentally anti competition (which you clearly show matters to you only when it is convenient).

Of course not, because it is a benevolent one / aligned one the one you are thinking of ;).

I really couldn't care less about "opposition fans" you are the one that for some reason came up with that phrase, like I said I doubt it's a consideration for the board of either Sony or Microsoft either, but if it's important to you then fine.

You mentioned "dumping" if it's not relevant then why mention it? I'm glad you show the common sense to understand it's not the case though.

It's either a monopoly or it isn't, totally impartial professional people are looking into it, I'll take their judgement over yours thanks, no offense.

Tams

Gold Member
To be completely honest, yes.

I don't give a rat's ass for price increases on a part of a continent I don't live or plan on living.

Do you feel bad for the absurd prices in Brazil? Bet you never thought of that?

Fuck Brazil amirite?

Can't speak for India, but I made a comment about the reason for high console prices (electronics in general too) in Brazil and got a rather stern warning from a mod for no 'P'-stuff. So I can see why someone might want to avoid it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They didn’t think that they needed to be that aggressive. They were obviously on the same page as their fanboys in laughing at the war chest meme. They never saw it coming.

But if they had, and had had the money, they would have done the same and made everything exclusive. You know this as well as anyone. No point crying about Microsoft doing it.
With this attitude I am not sure why anyone would be giving a crap about this price increase and parroting a “good pro consumer” vs “greedy anti consumer”. It is just a case of being able to afford it and part of your aggressive investment plan in one side… then again I am not sure all corporate cultures are the same. Despite what they did in other spaces we gave MS the benefit of the doubt so far, Sony deserves the same in terms of what they would or would not do.

Last edited:

FriulHado

Ms to Sony like:
James Franco Flirt GIF

Leyasu

Banned
With this attitude I am not sure why anyone would be giving a crap about this price increase and parroting a “good pro consumer” vs “greedy anti consumer”. It is just a case of being able to afford it and part of your aggressive investment plan in one side… then again I am not sure all corporate cultures are the same. Despite what they did in other spaces we gave MS the benefit of the doubt so far, Sony deserves the same in terms of what they would or would not do.
As it happens, given the current situation, I can see quite clearly why Sony upped the price. Everything is going through the roof. They like everyone else are paying more.

It is what it is. Microsoft are probably eating the cost unless their consoles cost less (doubtful but you never know) and will just use it as free pr marketing

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I just don't want to see them claw back too much marketshare too quickly.

I've liked MS being on the backfoot and working towards me as a consumer. It's brought me a shit ton of value and I worry that if gains start coming too quick, they will lose sight of it.

We saw it from the transition from the Ps2 to Ps3 from Sony, 360 to One from MS and now PS4 to 5 from Sony again.

I don't know what about being the leader turns them predatory, but it seems inevitable.

They have aspirations of getting billions of players on Xbox, so I would not worry about them losing motivation to be good.

Look at Netflix they are big but they are having to make and get as much good content as they can in order to remain competitive.

Can't speak for India, but I made a comment about the reason for high console prices (electronics in general too) in Brazil and got a rather stern warning from a mod for no 'P'-stuff. So I can see why someone might want to avoid it.
Well it was brought up, so its only fair to make a comparison. If a mod wants to mute me for voicing something completely relevant, so be it.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

People have to remember that the majority of people who buy consoles don't give care if it's PlayStation or Xbox, they just want a good console, and when they see that you can get a modern Xbox for £150 less then the cheapest PS5 , a lot of people will go for the cheaper option, especially for teens with limited funds. The seriesS is like the PS2 in some ways, similar size, power draw, size and price.

People have to remember that the majority of people who buy consoles don't give care if it's PlayStation or Xbox, they just want a good console, and when they see that you can get a modern Xbox for £150 less then the cheapest PS5 , a lot of people will go for the cheaper option, especially for teens with limited funds. The seriesS is like the PS2 in some ways, similar size, power draw, size and price.
Unless you are a fan of a certain franchise which is console exclusive. Im a Ps owner, but I'll be getting a Series X as well for Halo and Forza.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Whoa it is like the concept of how you do something is also important and not just what is lost on you. Must be fun seeing you argue in court about 1 murder vs a mass shooting.Hey your honour, a kill is a kill, it just murder”.

Maybe not 😂. You do not see Tesco stans going around talking about pro consumer moves as if Tesco was their friend in some cases and where Aldi or Lidl are opening stores to say that “for the sake of competition we hope people keep buying at Tesco because we all win if they are always neck and neck”… and it is the flip-flopping between “we need them neck and neck, pro competition folks ” when loosing and gloating and being glib while “flexing the subsidies wallet (totally pro competition right? Nope… but who cares, it is good for our camp lol)” when in a perceived position of strength and superiority that is hilarious. Fill your boots 😂.

that's a bit dark aint it when we only talking consoles

When does Sony financial year close? April? If so, it will be a delight to revisit this thread once the company announces the sales of the PS5 by then...Surely, they will crater...😏😎

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When does Sony financial year close? April? If so, it will be a delight to revisit this thread once the company announces the sales of the PS5 by then...Surely, they will crater...😏😎

I don't think its going to do too much personally, but I don't think they will hit 18 million...I can see 15 million maybe....or 14?

But if they had, and had had the money, they would have done the same and made everything exclusive. You know this as well as anyone. No point crying about Microsoft doing it. It’s just unfortunate for certain people that it was Microsoft with the money and not Sony

Listen I don’t give a shit but people keep parroting “buying a publisher” blah blah should they have refused?

Your honour...I did shoot and kill that person...but in my defense, he might have done the same, had he been as angry, and had he possessed a gun...
That is my defense, your honour. I guess I am walking free, right now?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They have aspirations of getting billions of players on Xbox, so I would not worry about them losing motivation to be good.

Look at Netflix they are big but they are having to make and get as much good content as they can in order to remain competitive.
Mmmh... well maybe... not likely though, but we will see :).

Three

Leave me out of your nonsense. Xbox keeping the prices the same is a good thing period. The XSS continues to look like a fantastic idea for gamers no matter what detractors peddle. Good value matters.
Your nonsense is that xbox didn't keep prices the same in India but now you're dismissing India as insignificant. Before you would upplay india because your favorite plastic of choice sold best there a month. You have no consistency, prices raising anywhere sucks PS raising prices in Japan and more regions sucks and xbox raising the price in india sucks. There is no need to try and be selective.

Last edited:

Allandor

Repeating what I said on the other thread: Nintendo is selling old hardware for a premium price, and MS has infinite money cheat activated

So it's expected that both of them will keep their prices

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo increases Switch prices tho, 'cause that would be such a Nintendo move
Wouldn't surprise me, too.
But there is another thing. Production prices should have gone down for most parts. Yes some increased but those weren't the price drivers (like memory, SSD Apu, ...). Especially SSD prices were in free fall so I guess now they just don't need to increase prices because up to this point they sold the consoles with a small plus.
Buying a few digital games and it is a definitiv plus. So there shouldn't be a need to increase prices so far.

For $ony it is just the high demand that is driving the price. Their costs should also have come down, but I guess their SSD solution didn't come down in price so much because they still need 6 chips for their SSD. So with a new model and less chips used they might also decrease the price back to normal.

Sosokrates

Mmmh... well maybe... not likely though, but we will see :).
Whats Not likely... Them maintenance there current standards or reaching a billion people?

I think they wont be getting a billion xbox customising any time soon, but I could see them getting 250 million+ users of xbox services through PC, mobile, cloud and console, especially if they tie an Xbox/gamepass account to mobile games like candy crush.

Candy crush could be a Trojan horse to get gamepass into the smartphone installbase.

reksveks

I think they wont be getting a billion xbox customising any time soon, but I could see them getting 250 million+ users of xbox services through PC, mobile, cloud and console, especially if they tie an Xbox/gamepass account to mobile games like candy crush.

Candy crush could be a Trojan horse to get gamepass into the smartphone installbase.
Yeah, the billions number is a misunderstanding of the quote generally. I think they will definitely be using King to try and get a shit tonne more MAU's into Gamepass, they will offer perks to King players if you sign up. Think the end goal for them would be to able to create a mobile app store which Gamepass is exclusive to.

Leyasu

Banned
Your honour...I did shoot and kill that person...but in my defense, he might have done the same, had he been as angry, and had he possessed a gun...
That is my defense, your honour. I guess I am walking free, right now?
So should Microsoft have refused to buy ABK? Because that is what it all boils down to

Last edited:
prices raising anywhere sucks PS raising prices in Japan and more regions sucks and xbox raising the price in india sucks. There is no need to try and be selective.
Equating the two scenarios is proper gaslighting. Microsoft increased the price in 0.05% of the console market and is still way cheaper than its competitor. Sony increased the price in ~70% of the market and is now significantly more expensive than its competitor.

Same Thing GIF by PragerU

Sosokrates

Yeah, the billions number is a misunderstanding of the quote generally. I think they will definitely be using King to try and get a shit tonne more MAU's into Gamepass, they will offer perks to King players if you sign up. Think the end goal for them would be to able to create a mobile app store which Gamepass is exclusive to.
Phil and co have said many times that they want a billion xbox customers.

You mean a store within the app which has perks free to gamepass subscribers?

reksveks

Phil and co have said many times that they want a billion xbox customers.

You mean a store within the app which has perks free to gamepass subscribers?
1) I do wonder what he means by customers, I suspect its anyone that interacts with the xbox/MS store latter specific to gaming.

2) I think they are hoping that the open app market act or something similar passes and they are able to more freely distribute apps on mobile devices.

Sosokrates

1) I do wonder what he means by customers, I suspect its anyone that interacts with the xbox/MS store latter specific to gaming.

2) I think they are hoping that the open app market act or something similar passes and they are able to more freely distribute apps on mobile devices.

Anyone who buys something from Xbox is an xbox customer.

Agreed, they want gamepass on all the app stores.

Sosokrates

Agree on this; that include F2P gamers buying MTX on Fortnite.

No, they want their own app store like Samsung has on their phones so they remove the 30% cut
I think they would rather just the 30% goes away and have the insane install base of the app and play store, I don't think android, OEM's and especially Apple will allow a native Microsoft app store.

Three

Equating the two scenarios is proper gaslighting. Microsoft increased the price in 0.05% of the console market and is still way cheaper than its competitor. Sony increased the price in ~70% of the market and is now significantly more expensive than its competitor.

Same Thing GIF by PragerU

Nobody is equating anything though, especially in terms of market size, that's your deflection. The deflection I was mocking regarding Japan and xbox sales.

Somebody said they aren't raising prices *except india and you're all here:

It's India. I bet the three dudes who bought an Xbox there are devastated.

To deflect instead of admitting that yeah that sucks for the people there. Dark mage is an even bigger company stan because he was playing up India sales and the "great value of series S and gp" when Xbox Series S did well there one March. Now he's here thumbs upping your comments.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think they would rather just the 30% goes away and have the insane install base of the app and play store, I don't think android, OEM's and especially Apple will allow a native Microsoft app store.
I don't also think they (Google, Apple and OEM's) want it as well but that's what the whole lobbying around the DMA and the Open app market act is about.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

I don't also think they (Google, Apple and OEM's) want it as well but that's what the whole lobbying around the DMA and the Open app market act is about.
They are lobbying for stores within stores and no required percentage going to Apple/Google.

They still want play and app store methods of delivery. They don't want to do what Fortnite did for iOS and have a website based installer.

Ansphn

Forza Motorsport, Redfall and Starfield, you actually mentioned them yourself and then ask me what they are.....
The release date is in the first half of 2023, I'm sure they will give you an actual date before then, hope you enjoy next gen games.
They can't even give you a dates so that they can easily push all 3 back.

reksveks

They are lobbying for stores within stores and no required percentage going to Apple/Google.

They still want play and app store methods of delivery. They don't want to do what Fortnite did for iOS and have a website based installer.
I think we have a different understanding of the act. It obviously says what platform holders can't do. I will pull up the Senate bill in a minute.

Whats Not likely... Them maintenance there current standards or reaching a billion people?

Imagine little Timmy convincing his wine mom who drops a dollar here and there on candy crush to get a GPU sub, using infinite plays in candy crush as the deal sweetener.

mother-of-god.gif

Top Bottom