• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is Looking to Make another Bethesda Size Acquisition

I think chances are it's CD Projekt. Why? They've always been really close with Xbox similar like Bethesda is. They are also big on PC and are owners of GOG a big storefront for games. They are now cheaper then they were and shareholder would be hesistant to get a good price on their stock. Also the hands-off approach from Xbox with a studio based in Poland would work well where the CEO of the company undoubtly can stay on as studio head.

Good, good. Supporting acqusition of developers which games are multiplatform and huge sellers.

Astorian

I think chances are it's CD Projekt. Why? They've always been really close with Xbox similar like Bethesda is. They are also big on PC and are owners of GOG a big storefront for games. They are now cheaper then they were and shareholder would be hesistant to get a good price on their stock. Also the hands-off approach from Xbox with a studio based in Poland would work well where the CEO of the company undoubtly can stay on as studio head.
CDPR would cost more than Bethesda, way overpriced and not worth it for a studio that have only worked on licensed games and releases 1 AAA game every 5-6 years.

Banjo64

cumsessed
PC and Xbox + Xcloud., you actually have to try to find a platform that's not supported.
Not to go off topic Wizz, but in your post you didn’t even ‘support’ a potential acquisition. You just laid out a scenario that could plausibly happen.

Fatbatman then tried to come along and used the word ‘support’, probably to paint you as a rabid fanboy, probably because he is? I don’t know.

Wizz-Art

CDPR would cost more than Bethesda, way overpriced and not worth it for a studio that have only worked on licensed games and releases 1 AAA game every 5-6 years.
I heard it would cost them a little bit more. 8 billion. But the games they are making would fit perfectly on Game Pass, they continously support those games GAAS style.

You're talking about now, I was talking about the future if Xbox buys them.

So, you think that Xcloud will appear on PS or Nintendo? LOL
Anyway, like i've said, you supporting acqusition of developers which games are multiplatform and huge sellers.

Not to go off topic Wizz, but in your post you didn’t even ‘support’ a potential acquisition. You just laid out a scenario that could plausibly happen.

Fatbatman then tried to come along and used the word ‘support’, probably to paint you as a rabid fanboy, probably because he is? I don’t know.

He mentioned possibly CDPR acquisition. If he mentioned it, he supporting it surely.
Called me a rabid fanboy. I see And you are?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So, you think that Xcloud will appear on PS or Nintendo? LOL
Anyway, like i've said, you supporting acqusition of developers which games are multiplatform and huge sellers.

He mentioned possibly CDPR acquisition. If he mentioned it, he supporting it surely.
Called me a rabid fanboy. I see And you are?
So because someone speaks about something, they automatically support it in your mind? Better never mention anything around genocide or peadophelia then, regardless of context.

I’m just someone who’s invested in all 3 platforms who likes to watch fanboys lose their little minds.

So because someone speaks about something, they automatically support it in your mind? Better never mention anything around genocide or peadophelia then, regardless of context.

I’m just someone who’s invested in all 3 platforms who likes to watch fanboys lose their little minds.

Why not mention independent devs who are developing games exclusively for Xbox? If MS buys them, nothing is lost. Like Playground Games in the past, yeah

Last edited:

Mr Moose

So, you want CDPR to be cut off from PS and Nintendo platform? You didn't mentioned it directly, but you surely implying it
Why wouldn't they? Such a tiny % of their sales comes from PS and Nintendo! *cough*
3652673-screen%20shot%202020-04-09%20at%209.40.45%20am.png

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why not mention independent devs who are developing games exclusively for Xbox? If MS buys them, nothing is lost. Like Playground Games in the past, yeah
Of course something would be lost, their sense of agency, the potential for that studio to decide to develop future games for different platforms.

Get your tongue out of Sony’s arse lol.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I'm a fanboy because i said that you're supporting big studio acquisition which games would be cut off from PS and Nintendo platform. Fine then, if you say so
So with that out of the way as you admit to it yourself...

This is a rumours thread and I gave the most likely candidate to be aquired in my mind and I rationalized the reasons why they are a likely candidate. Nothing less but also nothing more. Who do you think is the likely candidate?

Of course something would be lost, their sense of agency, the potential for that studio to decide to develop future games for different platforms.

Get your tongue out of Sony’s arse lol.

Nothing was lost since they only developed games for Xbox. Since 2012. People thought that they already acquired a long time ago. You surely talk like some independent gamer who invested in all 3 platforms. So, only have Series S?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Actually, only Tomb Raider 2 and 3 were exclusively on PS1 regarding consoles, later were not. Yeah, what Sony did was shitty. First TR was released on Saturn first

by the time it got to later Tomb raiders they were associated with PS as the platform to play it on. the exclusive deals did there job and well done to sony for doing it to be honest as it worked for them

phil_t98

#SonyToo
And when Google does it, and Amazon. And both Sony and Xbox users get cut off from established titles - not new ip,, you can just sub to their stream.
end of the day that's the way its going, look at Disney setting up their own subscription service where they used to be on Netflix, Warners seeing up their own subscription service and paramount to. gaming will go that way where you will subscribe instead of buying games. unfortunately that's the way it will go. if your a hard core gamer and buy a lot of games a year like I do then subscribing to services would save money in the long run

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nothing was lost since they only developed games for Xbox. Since 2012. People thought that they already acquired a long time ago. You surely talk like some independent gamer who invested in all 3 platforms
Why just stealth edit ‘only has Series S’ out of your comment once you’d seen my pictures, instead of addressing the fact that you were chatting shit? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Last edited:

Mr Moose

When we spoke to Moon Studios earlier in the year they wouldn't be drawn on the issue but they did point out that Microsoft owns the Ori IP, not them, which means they could continue to make new games without Moon Studios.

ori-and-the-blind-forest.jpg
Weird, I would've thought Moon Studios would own it since MS didn't publish the Switch version.
Edit: Do they own Cuphead? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Why just stealth edit ‘only has Series S’ out of your comment once you’d seen my pictures, instead of addressing the fact that you were chatting shit? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't worry, will add Series S back again in that post. I'm on mobile, so, sometimes Swiftkey fucks up things. Yes, i wrote "only" because you said that you sold Pro and X. So, where is the Series S? Anyway, doesn't mean if you invested in 3 platforms, you can't be "hostile" towards one of the platform, even if you own it. According your posts, you lean heavily towards Xbox, despite you own a PS and Switch platform. I've had X1, ditched it for good 6 years ago. Canceled my XSX preorder.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Don't worry, will add Series S back again in that post. I'm on mobile, so, sometimes Swiftkey fucks up things. So, where is the Series S. Anyway, doesn't mean if you invested in 3 platforms, you can't be "hostile" towards one of the platform, even if you own it. According your posts, you lean heavily towards Xbox, despite you own a PS and Switch platform. I've had X1, ditched it for good 6 years ago. Canceled my XSX preorder.
On my desk mate;

xQyHvEo.jpg

My posts don’t lean either way mate, I just stick to my principles no matter what platform I’m talking about. Hence why I polaxed Xbox on here when they tried to double the Gold price, and have plenty of good things to say about all 3 platform holders.

I know that’s probably a system shock to you, who uses whataboutisms and changes your stance quicker than a fart in the breeze, to glorify your system of choice.

I’m actually more invested in the PS ecosystem, and my trophies support that.

But your either for acquisitions, or against them. There’s no ‘well Sony and Naughty Dog used to skip through fields of flowers hand in hand prior to their acquisition, so that’s completely justified’.

Last edited:
You were saying?

Yeah, they're really on the same bethesda sized acquisition...

This is a rumor thread, in the end it can be MS would buy some indie studio.

by the time it got to later Tomb raiders they were associated with PS as the platform to play it on. the exclusive deals did there job and well done to sony for doing it to be honest as it worked for them
So what if Tomb Raider is heavily associated with PS platform. You mentioned in previous post that Sony paid for Tomb Raider 2 and onwards exclusive to their consoles. Well, since TR3 it goes multiplatform. IIRC one TR title was exclusive for PSP

haven't Microsoft allowed a few games on the Switch? Ori is on there

Yes, MS allowed it.

Wizz-Art

What do you mean with?
Not, not really.
Their price is too inflated. I mean they are close to Ubisoft (+3/4 bil) which is bonkers and they are not worth that.

Sega would be a perfect purchase.

I don't know if their value is inflated or not, I know that Microsoft has people in their financial divison who are very good to find out if an acquisition is worth it in the long run and CD Projekt is a company that checks off a lot of checkmarks IMO. Also, Microsoft has an huge amount of money tied up overseas that they can't bring into the USA without paying very high taxes. They are known to spend that money on acquiring European companies/buisneses and CD Projekt is Polish so.

SEGA is also a good candidate but Japan has laws in place that foreign companies can't outright buy Japanese companies I believe so that's why I don't immediately thought of them.

Last edited:
I know that’s probably a system shock to you, who uses whataboutisms and changes your stance quicker than a fart in the breeze, to glorify your system of choice.
It's not a system shock for me. Saw numerous examples on forums having multiple platform, but explicitly leaning towards one and against the other

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
No it’s just your love of Xbox or Microsoft

You miss the point of dominating via adding to the industry vs cold acquisition. One is to be admired, the other to be lambasted.
i game from 40+ years i can say with 100% of accuracy that Gamepass is the biggest addition in gaming ever

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's not a system shock for me. Saw numerous examples on forums having multiple platform, but explicitly leaning towards one and against the other
Ok, and I’m telling you I actually lean towards PlayStation in terms of volume of games played, money spent and time played, trophies earned vs achievements. Literally every metric. Now what?

You think because I don’t have an issue with acquisitions I’m an Xbox fanboy? I don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Calverz

On my desk mate;

xQyHvEo.jpg
nice. I have the series s too. Such a great little console. Also i loved nuts n bolts. Greatly under appreciated. Once you realise its not another banjo platformer and begin to understand its different, its really fun and charming

Ok, and I’m telling you I actually lean towards PlayStation in terms of volume of games played, money spent and time played. Now what?

You can play it all the time and have 1000 platinums But still you can leaning heavily towards other platform vocally on forums.

You think because I don’t have an issue with acquisitions I’m an Xbox fanboy? I don’t know what to tell you.

You called me like that first. I've just asked you what you are then.

Yes but the rumour is explicitly saying Bethesda-size level isn't it?

Same thread where is explicitly rumored that MS will buy SEGA on Wednesday. :/
So, this is a rumor thread, MS can buy publisher, in the end can be a small studio

Old Empire.

Ubisoft makes sense if you don’t want to be investing heavily after the acquisition. With Sega, MS would need to invest in logistics and infrastructure and teams of developers to get it to the level of Bethesda. Just make more sense to buy EA or Ubisoft with less work to do behind the scenes.

Level of Bethesda means a multi studio publisher. That rules out CD Projekt RED and all one to two game maker studios every 5 years.

Gamepass already has EA games (not launch titles on the day of release) but it is good enough deal and well don’t have to purchase a second subscription to play older EA titles. An Ubisoft purchase makes perfect sense for Xbox, in my opinion, the games made by them are popular and well known to casual gamers on both consoles and PC.

Rumors can also be wrong, and MS just asking publishers to join Xbox pass and release their back catalogue of games there?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
You can play it all the time and have 1000 platinums But still you can leaning heavily towards other platform vocally on forums.

You called me like that first. I've just asked you what you are then.

Same thread where is explicitly rumored that MS will buy SEGA on Wednesday. :/
So, this is a rumor thread, MS can buy publisher, in the end can be a small studio
I already told you what I am, post 661 on this thread;

You took issue with that, if you remember, and said I pretend like I’m invested in all 3, but only own a Series S.

The mental gymnastics are a sight to behold.

Please enlighten me, where would the logic be in playing all the time on PlayStation, and having 1000s of platinums, but being bias against them in online forums? What would motivate someone to behave in that way?

Last edited:
Top Bottom