• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is Looking to Make another Bethesda Size Acquisition

Bryank75

Banned
the discussion solved nothing. Sony has bought studios, paid to keep games away from competitors and to have exclusive times. Like ms. period. Ms just has more money. The rest it's just partisan talk
You think MSFT is going to buy up every developer? That they will be allowed? Or that all devs or publishers even want to sell out to them?

The amount of assumptions your making is astounding.

When you consider how much debt MSFT has, there isn't actually that much between how much cash either company has.

MonarchJT

Banned
I can’t believe the “MS has more money Sony can’t compete” dumb talk is still going on.
No one has ever said that Sony cannot compete (to be clear certainly not me) but the purchase options given by the amount of money of the two companies require Sony to make more pondered choices. In the long run if all the big tech companies continue to invest and consolidate the market it will be harder and harder for relatively smaller companies like Sony. This is a fact.
In a quarter Ms got double the profits of the money spent to buy all of Bethesda and now from the words of Satya Nadella, it is clear that the whole company is interested as never ever happened before ever since they launched the first Xbox, in the gaming division. This should be enlightening

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
You think MSFT is going to buy up every developer? That they will be allowed? Or that all devs or publishers even want to sell out to them?

When you consider how much debt MSFT has, there isn't actually that much between how much cash either company has.

Debt is cheap.
Look at Msft quick ratio vs Sony.
Sony simply cant compete with MS when it comes to money hatting.

longdi

Banned
No one has ever said that Sony cannot compete (to be clear certainly not me) but the purchase options given by the amount of money of the two companies require Sony to make more pondered choices. In the long run if all the big tech companies continue to invest and consolidate the market it will be harder and harder for relatively smaller companies like Sony. This is a fact.
In a quarter Ms got double the profits of the money spent to buy all of Bethesda and now from the words of Satya Nadella, it is clear that the whole company is interested as never ever happened before ever since they launched the first Xbox, in the gaming division. This should be enlightening

People laughed and waved off Phil ominous warning that Sony is not in their sights going forward.

We shall see how true it will be in the months ahead.

MS is spending big things, doing big things. The future is against big boys like Amazon and Google and Tencents. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned

Why, blinded by anger, do you (you and some other users) keep putting words on mouth that no one has ever said? Where did I say Ms will buy every developer? Ms will stop when will have enough studios to release new gamepass content almost every month. In all this Sony has little or nothing to do.
I don't even know where to start to reply to the rest of your post. If you think you can economically compare Ms and Sony and their possible range of action, let me tell you that it's better if you get up and leave the house to get some fresh air. It would probably be better.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Debt is cheap.
Look at Msft quick ratio vs Sony.
Sony simply cant compete with MS when it comes to money hatting.

Sony is an inventory heavy company involved in a lot of manufacturing, so it doesn't make sense to compare them using that. Of course MSFT is going to come out looking way better since they don't manufacture almost anything in comparison.

Debt IS cheap but it still needs to be serviced, you need cash there to pay it...... MSFT has nearly 60 billion debt, Sony has about 6.

Do you understand?

MonarchJT

Banned
Sony is an inventory heavy company involved in a lot of manufacturing, so it doesn't make sense to compare them using that. Of course MSFT is going to come out looking way better since they don't manufacture almost anything in comparison.

Debt IS cheap but it still needs to be serviced, you need cash there to pay it...... MSFT has nearly 60 billion debt, Sony has about 6.

Do you understand?
have we got into debt? hahaha ok i give up. pure raging nonsense

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Why, blinded by anger, do you (you and some other users) keep putting words on mouth that no one has ever said? Where did I say Ms will buy every developer? Ms will stop when will have enough studios to release new gamepass content almost every month. In all this Sony has little or nothing to do.
I don't even know where to start to reply to the rest of your post. If you think you can economically compare Ms and Sony and their possible range of action, let me tell you that it's better if you get up and leave the house to get some fresh air. It would probably be better.

You don't know where to start cause you don't have any answers.... you are just fantasizing about a company spending over a decade of it's cash to gratify you and frankly the smallest gaming audience apart from Stadia.

Pretending that PC and every phone are part of the Xbox ecosystem is hilarious and just a red herring to justify anti-competitive actions.

I am pretty sure that anything beyond Bethesda being acquired will lead to serious questions being asked about Microsofts intentions in gaming.... considering it's aggressively monopolistic tendencies in so many other businesses in the past.

Bryank75

Banned
have we got into debt? hahaha ok i give up. pure raging nonsense
Because you obviously don't know and have not bothered to look, the quick ratio uses 'Inventory' to calculate the answer.

Sony is involved in industries with a lot of inventory and WIP (work in progress) , whereas Microsoft has basically no real manufacturing... that means the quick ratio is essentially useless to compare the two businesses.

It completely ignored the fact that despite debt currently being cheap, it MUST be serviced and MSFT has nearly 60 billion that has to eventually be paid while Sony has only 6 billion debt.....

Ask me to explain if you do not understand something....

longdi

Banned

Do you understand?

Yes debt is healthy. Msft just threw 7b short change to buy Zenimax. They will be buying big again. I wont be surprised if they use debt to finance that.

Jimbo can affort 12-16 months exclusive window here and there.

If you dont see the writings on the wall, then just wait for things to materialised. 🤷‍♀️

MonarchJT

Banned
You don't know where to start cause you don't have any answers.... you are just fantasizing about a company spending over a decade of it's cash to gratify you and frankly the smallest gaming audience apart from Stadia.

Pretending that PC and every phone are part of the Xbox ecosystem is hilarious and just a red herring to justify anti-competitive actions.

I am pretty sure that anything beyond Bethesda being acquired will lead to serious questions being asked about Microsofts intentions in gaming.... considering it's aggressively monopolistic tendencies in so many other businesses in the past.
as i said you look if someone killed your dog.
And it's clear to everyone that in your mix of unlikely antitrust moves ... ignorant economic comparisons and other nonsense is more of a fanboy rage than a discussion that will lead to something. Have a nice day we will talk again after the future acquisition

John Wick

Most likely Sega. Sega Sammy has already split up :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Cant wait to get Sega games on gpu. Sega has lots of PC ports already.

When MS flexes, only Google, Amazon, FB, Apple or Chinese megacorps Tencent Alibaba, can compete with them.
I been singing this tune since 2020.

And flex MS will.
Phil be like :messenger_bicep::messenger_sunglasses::messenger_peace:
So why have they been 3rd for the last 20 years?
Flexing hasn't made Windows Phone or even Skype a massive success?

Bryank75

Banned
as i said you look if someone killed your dog.
And it's clear to everyone that in your mix of unlikely antitrust moves ... ignorant economic comparisons and other nonsense is more of a fanboy rage than a discussion that will lead to something. Have a nice day we will talk again after the future acquisition
Ha... after you just exposed that you don't even understand a quick ratio or the implications of a business being mainly in manufacturing or software....

Calling someone else ignorant is a bit rich from you.....

Enjoy your games...oh wait!

MonarchJT

Banned
Ha... after you just exposed that you don't even understand a quick ratio or the implications of a business being mainly in manufacturing or software....

Calling someone else ignorant is a bit rich from you.....

Enjoy your games...oh wait!
yes i know i know ...."xbox has no g4mes"..bye.

John Wick

Yes debt is healthy. Msft just threw 7b short change to buy Zenimax. They will be buying big again. I wont be surprised if they use debt to finance that.

Jimbo can affort 12-16 months exclusive window here and there.

If you dont see the writings on the wall, then just wait for things to materialised. 🤷‍♀️
Sony will more than likely win this generation too.
When the MS games arriving? By that time Sony will be well clear.

Bryank75

Banned
Guys I just learned that a 1.7 trillion dollar company having 60b in debt is essentially worth the same as a 0.12 trillion dollar company having 6b in debt.

I feel truly blessed with such galaxy brain takes.
That's not what I said but it's no surprise that such nuance is lost on you....

Now you may continue to fellate yourselves about how much Microsoft is worth.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Those laws are to prevent monopolization... after buying InExile, Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Compulsion games, Playground games, Obsidian, Double Fine and soon Zenimax (another 8 studios).... it's not going to look good to authorities.
Monopoly, the new NeoGAF big boy word, alongside ‘bottleneck’.

Here’s the Cambridge Dictionary definition of a monopoly;

(an organization or group that has) complete control of something, especially an area of business, so that others have no share

In the UK, you’re considered a monopoly if you own 25% of the market share. Good luck proving that Microsoft, with less than 25 studios once Zenimax completes, (out of how many game studios world wide?) are a monopoly.

BT was a monopoly in England, because it owned the vast majority of the UK’s broadband infrastructure. As such, they were forced create a separate division called Openreach to maintain this infrastructure and provide equal access to their rival companies;

It was established in 2006 following an agreement between BT and the UK's telecoms regulator, Ofcom, to implement certain undertakings, pursuant to the Enterprise Act 2002, to ensure that rival telecom operators have equality of access to BT's local network.[1][2]

I see now that with all of your financial wisdom (none?) you’re actually trying to persuade people that Sony and Microsoft’s purchasing power is near equal? But you don’t even know what a monopoly is?

I’m out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Karen GIF by moodman

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Monopoly, the new NeoGAF big boy word, alongside ‘bottleneck’.

Here’s the Cambridge Dictionary definition of a monopoly;

(an organization or group that has) complete control of something, especially an area of business, so that others have no share

In the UK, you’re considered a monopoly if you own 25% of the market share. Good luck proving that Microsoft, with less than 25 studios once Zenimax completes, (out of how many game studios world wide?) are a monopoly.

BT was a monopoly in England, because it owned the vast majority of the UK’s broadband infrastructure. As such, they were forced create a separate division called Openreach to maintain this infrastructure and provide equal access to their rival companies;

It was established in 2006 following an agreement between BT and the UK's telecoms regulator, Ofcom, to implement certain undertakings, pursuant to the Enterprise Act 2002, to ensure that rival telecom operators have equality of access to BT's local network.[1][2]

I see now that with all of your financial wisdom (none?) you’re actually trying to persuade people that Sony and Microsoft’s purchasing power is near equal? But you don’t even know what a monopoly is?

I’m out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Karen GIF by moodman
The thing is the studios aren’t in the uk so nothing the UK can do about it, if Microsoft had over 25% of UK studios then uk could step in but when they buy polish german or studios from Japan what can the uk do lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If you’re creatively bankrupt, cannot create and add, you buy others.

No cause for celebration from any side. Nobody gets anything new under these scenarios. Imagine if the funds went into new studios instead. 🤔
You can create and buy in to, the best of both worlds.

how many new studios is Sony creating with the 40billion people keep saying they have?

pasterpl

Sure.... all those owesome games Amazon and Microsoft make... LOL

They can't buy PlayStation.
Yeah that horrible forza, forza horizon (best racing games of the generation), ori, flight sim, sea of thieves that millions of people play regularly,

btw. 6 of ms releases in 2020 went to top sellers status on steam, but these players don’t count

you are on gaming forum and you know very little
Yup, they could buy 3 or 4 publishers and I still wouldn't buy Xbox or spend any time on their ecosystem.

Same with everyone in Europe, Microsoft and Xbox is a hated brand here. Nobody is going to be coerced into buying their shit. Fuck them!

Same in Asia, nobody wants Xbox there.
Generalisation much?

yeah, so hated that’s sold out in all of the biggest markets in Europe

separate advice, when you drunk too much you should go to bed and not start rants on neo gaf

Shmunter

You can create and buy in to, the best of both worlds.

how many new studios is Sony creating with the 40billion people keep saying they have?
Aggressive market domination by giant entities makes the world worse off. It strangles competition and decimates options. Thumbs down to any such thing, by any one.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Aggressive market domination by giant entities makes the world worse off. It strangles competition and decimates options. Thumbs down to any such thing, by any one.
No it’s just your hate of Xbox or Microsoft

as for gaming Sony is the market dominance not Microsoft, Microsoft are making inroads to grow and catch up. It’s not gonna happen this gen but my using songs method of only being the place to play certain games by either paying so they ain’t on mother consoles or buying the company that makes the game so they can’t be on other consoles.

Shmunter

No it’s just your hate of Xbox or Microsoft

as for gaming Sony is the market dominance not Microsoft, Microsoft are making inroads to grow and catch up. It’s not gonna happen this gen but my using songs method of only being the place to play certain games by either paying so they ain’t on mother consoles or buying the company that makes the game so they can’t be on other consoles.
No it’s just your love of Xbox or Microsoft

You miss the point of dominating via adding to the industry vs cold acquisition. One is to be admired, the other to be lambasted.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No it’s just your love of Xbox or Microsoft

You miss the point of dominating via adding to the industry vs cold acquisition. One is to be admired, the other to be lambasted.

again I have seen Sony do it, I have been around for many console generations and they had aggressive stance day 1 by making titles exclusive to their console, remember paying for Tomb Raider 2 onwards to only being on Sony consoles. very aggressive and now the shoes on the other foot people are now shocked

Shmunter

again I have seen Sony do it, I have been around for many console generations and they had aggressive stance day 1 by making titles exclusive to their console, remember paying for Tomb Raider 2 onwards to only being on Sony consoles. very aggressive and now the shoes on the other foot people are now shocked
Yet, I don’t support Sony tying down 3rd party titles. But you do support Ms doing it...entire publishers even.

Do you see the difference?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yet, I don’t support Sony tying down 3rd party titles. But you do support Ms doing it...entire publishers even.

Do you see the difference?
end of the day if its done by one then I t will be done by another.

last gen I had both consoles so had the best of both worlds, some amazing games on both, I will get a PS5 at some point so its always best to have both to be able to play everything anyway

Shmunter

end of the day if its done by one then I t will be done by another.

last gen I had both consoles so had the best of both worlds, some amazing games on both, I will get a PS5 at some point so its always best to have both to be able to play everything anyway
And when Google does it, and Amazon. And both Sony and Xbox users get cut off from established titles - not new ip,, you can just sub to their stream.

the discussion solved nothing. Sony has bought studios, paid to keep games away from competitors and to have timed exclusives. Like ms. period. Ms just has more money. The rest it's just partisan talk

Ok. Looks like you didn't read.

Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Media Molecule, Zipper, SuckerPunch barely produced a single IP before Sony acquired them. So, they didn't had any history behind it.
Evolution studios developed games for Sony since beginning before closure
Insomniac already developed games exclusively for Sony for a veeery long time before acquisition . Same crap as Playground Games for Xbox. It's not a big deal. Dev studio who already developed game exclusively for one platform before acquisition is not the same as publisher.

On the other hand Zenimax has a developers with great history behind it and which games are multiplatform and are developed for many console generations. And guess what, MS bought the whole publisher.
Buying the whole publisher is not equall any way with timed exclusives ( which would appear on your platform sooner or later) or dev which are developing games exclusively.

Last edited:

This part alone I dont understand how these emotional, broken down lunatics coping with the news and thought process work..its like shocking to them? Tha @#$% ?! What Goes Around Comes Around. Get that through your thick skull, its business!!

Make lifetime exclusives purely only Xbox just like Sonys joints: Spidey, GOW, TLOU, GOT, Uncharted and much more.

There's no stopping MS acquiring studios, they just making a small dent, shoppin' ain't over anytime soon.

Who's very fragile, emotional and unstable I suggest get some Nyquil or Aspirin its not going to get better this generation and beyond but.. just to ease the pain.

Camp blue 🫂 support eachother in toughest times👬🧑‍🤝‍🧑🤝

Actually, only Tomb Raider 2 and 3 were exclusively on PS1 regarding consoles, later were not. Yeah, what Sony did was shitty. First TR was released on Saturn first

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I think chances are it's CD Projekt. Why? They've always been really close with Xbox similar like Bethesda is. They are also big on PC and are owners of GOG a big storefront for games. They are now cheaper then they were and shareholder would be hesistant to get a good price on their stock. Also the hands-off approach from Xbox with a studio based in Poland would work well where the CEO of the company undoubtly can stay on as studio head.

Top Bottom