• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is Looking to Make another Bethesda Size Acquisition

Redlancet

Banned
When you see people defending Sony buying out Ubisoft or Capcom as if it's better for consumers than Microsoft buying out Bethesda, you can call them hypocrites all you like.

Until then, you're the one doing mental gymnastics to defend a monopoly.
what people? most of the fanboys clapping at adquistions i see its microsft fanboys acting like groupies

Ceadeus

Microsoft buying Sega would be like

Handshake Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Exactly. Apparently this is too hard for some people to understand. Instead of being excited about the games they get to play, they are more interested in seeing MS locking content from PlayStation.

MS was already going to get all the Bethesda games anyway on Xbox -- unless Sony funded a Bethesda game which was extremely unlikely. Now, nothing has changed for MS, but Xbox fans are rejoicing after MS acquired Bethesda. They will still get the same games. The only difference is that PS owners won't get those games, and that's what makes Xbox fanboys happy. It's pathetic.

Instead, MS should have focused on creating new studios, new jobs, and new games for Xbox, and growing the gaming industry. That'd have been in addition to Bethesda titles that were going to be released on Xbox anyway. And that'd mean Xbox users would have gotten a lot more games.
Change ms to Sony and Bethesda to naughty dog, gorilla, Insomniac, sucker Punch. You know most of Sony's best studios were bought.

Azurro

Banned

You can't buy them man, just sub for a monthly fee. They are streaming services.

Oh, Stadia? The one that isn't even supported in Google's latest dongle? I am pretty that isn't a hit. About Luna, I'd be surprised if it even had a million subs, seems to have launched in a really stealthy way.

Coud gaming isn't a market, it's extra AWS capacity looking for a market. It's strange to position MS as being in competition for something that doesn't exist.

DavidGzz

Oh, Stadia? The one that isn't even supported in Google's latest dongle? I am pretty that isn't a hit. About Luna, I'd be surprised if it even had a million subs, seems to have launched in a really stealthy way.

Coud gaming isn't a market, it's extra AWS capacity looking for a market. It's strange to position MS as being in competition for something that doesn't exist.

Ok man, just last gen Xbox competition was bad and look at the future for them now..Amazon and Google money can change things in a hurry. No shit they aren't competition yet.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Exactly. Apparently this is too hard for some people to understand. Instead of being excited about the games they get to play, they are more interested in seeing MS locking content from PlayStation.

MS was already going to get all the Bethesda games anyway on Xbox -- unless Sony funded a Bethesda game which was extremely unlikely. Now, nothing has changed for MS, but Xbox fans are rejoicing after MS acquired Bethesda. They will still get the same games. The only difference is that PS owners won't get those games, and that's what makes Xbox fanboys happy. It's pathetic.

Instead, MS should have focused on creating new studios, new jobs, and new games for Xbox, and growing the gaming industry. That'd have been in addition to Bethesda titles that were going to be released on Xbox anyway. And that'd mean Xbox users would have gotten a lot more games.
I agree that’s not a good reason to be happy.

Personally, I don’t mind the acquisitions of any company. They are free to do what they want with their cash. Are Double Fine, and even Bathesda, now in a healthier position than before they were bought? Absolutely. Are Sony’s purchases, yep.

Will I get to play the games day one on Game Pass now, guaranteed? Yes. Ok, that’s cool for me.

In an ideal world Sony and Nintendo would also release their first party games on every platform as well, so we all have the choice of where we play based on power, affordability, social features etc.

It’s a bit rich to comment on it on GAF though where the term ‘Sony exclusive’ is celebrated and used like it automatically elevates a game to God-tier status, regardless of quality. That’s literally people celebrating that the games can’t be played anywhere else.

On Demand

Banned
Change ms to Sony and Bethesda to naughty dog, gorilla, Insomniac, sucker Punch. You know most of Sony's best studios were bought.

Not even remotely the same thing. All the studios Sony purchased were already making games for PS. They formed a partnership first. That’s the way Sony decides if they want buy a studio. They still do the same thing today and what Jim Ryan means by organic growth. Plus creating their own studios.

MS buys 3rd party multi platform developers instead instead of spending money on building new studios. The only studios they’ve done this with is The Initiative. All the rest are 3rd party.

quest

Not Banned from OT
When you see people defending Sony buying out Ubisoft or Capcom as if it's better for consumers than Microsoft buying out Bethesda, you can call them hypocrites all you like.

Until then, you're the one doing mental gymnastics to defend a monopoly.
I remember these fun days of celebration of money hats and other deals. I warned everyone it was stupid invest in studios instead. No one complained of insomniac or another Sony studio deals.

Azurro

Banned

This is rather disingenuous, and is a position taken due to console warzz. Sony began a business relationship with Naughty Dog when it was a tiny studio that finished a game for 3DO.

Similarly, Mark Černý began a business relationship with Insomniac before they even released a single game in 1995.

With Sucker Punch, Sony was interested in publishing their second game on PS2. Guerilla Games was bought in 2005 after the company had only done a few Game Boy games.

The acquisition of Bethesda and other studios by MS is a very, very different thing.

Azurro

Banned
Ok man, just last gen Xbox competition was bad and look at the future for them now..Amazon and Google money can change things in a hurry. No shit they aren't competition yet.

Can I direct you to the landfill of failed Google and Amazon products?

Xbox hasn't improved its market position either, I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Nice find. Look at the Sony "groupies" going off in there. But no, it's only Xbox fans that cheer. Sure.

Last edited:
Not even remotely the same thing. All the studios Sony purchased were already making games for PS. They formed a partnership first. That’s the way Sony decides if they want buy a studio. They still do the same thing today and what Jim Ryan means by organic growth. Plus creating their own studios.

MS buys 3rd party multi platform developers instead instead of spending money on building new studios. The only studios they’ve done this with is The Initiative. All the rest are 3rd party.
Yeah cause ms and Bethesda hadn't been partnered for like every Bethesda game. Just because they didn't money hat exclusive doesn't mean they were not partnered. You are making shit up so one is bad and the other is good when actually both pretty equal.

This is rather disingenuous, and is a position taken due to console warzz. Sony began a business relationship with Naughty Dog when it was a tiny studio that finished a game for 3DO.

Similarly, Mark Černý began a business relationship with Insomniac before they even released a single game in 1995.

With Sucker Punch, Sony was interested in publishing their second game on PS2. Guerilla Games was bought in 2005 after the company had only done a few Game Boy games.

The acquisition of Bethesda and other studios by MS is a very, very different thing.
Yeah the relationship is just paying for exclusive. Same thing. You can adjust rules all you like but to anyone not on one side or the other it's the same thing.

Flintty

Anyone angry at MS for this or the Bethesda buy out should focus that anger on Sony. They poked the beast when they were actively trying to starve Xbox of 3rd party games before this gen even began. Every rumour was met with cheers by GAF but now it’s flipped, you’re all mad.

Turns out Sony brought a tooth pick to a gunfight and MS aren’t fucking around. I can’t have any sympathy.

Azurro

Banned
Yeah the relationship is just paying for exclusive. Same thing. You can adjust rules all you like but to anyone not on one side or the other it's the same thing.

Buying a few studios that you started a relationship with when they were less than 20 people at least 15 years ago is the same as buying a big publisher with hundreds of employees?

Azurro

Banned
No, one costs a lot more. No need to hate cause one company has more money available for these gains.

Please point out where I am hating. I am just pointing out they are very, very different market moves.

I mean, personally why would I hate? I play one FPS game a year if that, I haven't played Skyrim and didn't like Fallout 4. :)

Ellery

Okay, but hear me out Microsoft. How about a Bethesda sized game for your Xbox Series X console (and PC of course) first.
You are creating a backlog of studios for yourself! Have to work off some games first.

Reminds me of my first Steam sale dude. Still haven't touched Rage when I bought it what feels like decades ago.

On Demand

Banned
Yeah cause ms and Bethesda hadn't been partnered for like every Bethesda game. Just because they didn't money hat exclusive doesn't mean they were not partnered. You are making shit up so one is bad and the other is good when actually both pretty equal.

Marketing deal partnerships is not the same thing as what Sony did with the studios they bought. Again, they were already making games for PS and Sony decided to bring them into PS and expand them further. MS is just buying 3rd party developers and removing games from platforms.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I agree that’s not a good reason to be happy.

Personally, I don’t mind the acquisitions of any company. They are free to do what they want with their cash. Are Double Fine, and even Bathesda, now in a healthier position than before they were bought? Absolutely. Are Sony’s purchases, yep.

Will I get to play the games day one on Game Pass now, guaranteed? Yes. Ok, that’s cool for me.

In an ideal world Sony and Nintendo would also release their first party games on every platform as well, so we all have the choice of where we play based on power, affordability, social features etc.

It’s a bit rich to comment on it on GAF though where the term ‘Sony exclusive’ is celebrated and used like it automatically elevates a game to God-tier status, regardless of quality. That’s literally people celebrating that the games can’t be played anywhere else.

And that's pathetic. If anyone (Sony or Xbox fanboys) -- instead of playing and enjoying the game -- is happier to see that others can't play that same game because it's now an exclusive, they are sick in the head.

And I agree, acquisitions are cool. A lot of developers will benefit from it. Double Fine is an excellent example, and I'm happy MS acquired them.

But (1) locking established multiplatform IPs (like Bethesda) is not something I agree with, and (2) This is a dangerous precedence, which will likely bite Xbox fanboys as well when Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Apple join the party.

And it'll hurt the gaming industry and gamers in general.

Buying a few studios that you started a relationship with when they were less than 20 people at least 15 years ago is the same as buying a big publisher with hundreds of employees?
Basically the same yes. In that if one is bad the other is bad.
Marketing deal partnerships is not the same thing as what Sony did with the studios they bought. Again, they were already making games for PS and Sony decided to bring them into PS and expand them further. MS is just buying 3rd party developers and removing games from platforms.
Todd Howard has stated many many times he has a very close relationship with ms and he has said again many times that they grew together. Just because the games were not paid to be exclusive doesn't mean they didn't have a close relationship. Hell Howard has shit on Sony many times but still put the games there. Maybe you know he likes money.

martino

And that's pathetic. If anyone (Sony or Xbox fanboys) -- instead of playing and enjoying the game -- is happier to see that others can't play that same game because it's now an exclusive, they are sick in the head.

And I agree, acquisitions are cool. A lot of developers will benefit from it. Double Fine is an excellent example, and I'm happy MS acquired them.

But (1) locking established multiplatform IPs (like Bethesda) is not something I agree with, and (2) This is a dangerous precedence, which will likely bite Xbox fanboys as well when Google, Amazon, Facebook, and Apple join the party.

And it'll hurt the gaming industry and gamers in general.
You're talking about something that didn't happened for now though
and it's the problem atm....
Lot of feelings making people sure of the unknown (and romancing history of PS here)

Last edited:

SNG32

Definitely probably a big American publisher. People saying Capcom and Sega your going to be sadly disappointed. A Japanese company being acquired by Microsoft would be a finisher since they are doing abysmal over in that region sales wise. Microsoft has a better chance at Rockstar then Sega and Capcom.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yes, but that wasn't my point.

(1) When Sony acquired Insomniac, what did Xbox lose? Nothing. Because Insomniac was producing content for Sony almost exclusively for years. Same thing with Bluepoint if Sony acquires them.
And (2) if I feel happy that after a certain acquisition, the other group won't be able to play this game, then I have a problem.

With Bethesda, MS was going to get all those games anyway. As an Xboxer, I'd have preferred if MS created new studios (or acquired ones that weren't producing content for Xbox). That way, I'd have got all Bethesda games (that were going to be released on Xbox anyway) + all those new exclusive games. That was my point.

I remember these fun days of celebration of money hats and other deals. I warned everyone it was stupid invest in studios instead. No one complained of insomniac or another Sony studio deals.

Nice find. Look at the Sony "groupies" going off in there. But no, it's only Xbox fans that cheer. Sure.

Anyone angry at MS for this or the Bethesda buy out should focus that anger on Sony. They poked the beast when they were actively trying to starve Xbox of 3rd party games before this gen even began. Every rumour was met with cheers by GAF but now it’s flipped, you’re all mad.

Turns out Sony brought a tooth pick to a gunfight and MS aren’t fucking around. I can’t have any sympathy.

It's funny how Xbox community DESPERATELY trying to compare some timed exclusives ( like FFXVI, Deathloop, Tokyo) vs. whole publisher acquisition. Why go so low. LOL

Last edited:

(1) When Sony acquired Insomniac, what did Xbox lose? Nothing. Because Insomniac was producing content for Sony almost exclusively for years. Same thing with Bluepoint if Sony acquires them.
And (2) if I feel happy that after a certain acquisition, the other group won't be able to play this game, then I have a problem.

With Bethesda, MS was going to get all those games anyway. As an Xboxer, I'd have preferred if MS created new studios (or acquired ones that weren't producing content for Xbox). That way, I'd have got all Bethesda games (that were going to be released on Xbox anyway) + all those new exclusive games. That was my point.
1 sunset overdrive 2
This is what Insomniac said
"Wasn’t about money, was about our controlling and owning the IP, and their belief and desire to execute our vision with us."
Sony would not allow them to own it. Sony is why other Insomniac games were not multi plats (probably)
I'm not happy Sony only players are missing out but I am happy MS owns things because it means me a PC player will not miss out. If Sony starts putting out all their games on PC then I won't care if they buy studios but until then I do.
Edit
Care is a bit strong. Would love to play Bloodborne without frame pacing and ghosts looks great. Imagine it on PC. Holy shit imagine it on PC with a good mod community.

Last edited:

martino

15 years? Absolutely not. Will The Initiative take 15 years before it produces games that will join GamePass?
You will not open eyes of people writing a romance sony is a farmer loving the media...nurturing talent....
they locked content at first to simply exist...and they continued the practice but buying the ones with bigger profitability level while being affordable to them
Those are the business hard facts no feeling attached.

FranXico

Im not ‘desperately’ trying to do anything. Just saying how I see it. MS responded to aggressive Sony moves with an even more aggressive move 🤷🏻‍♂️ Am I wrong?
Poor little MS had to defend itself from those Phony timed exclusivity deals, after spending the last few years buying out studios left and right.

martino

Even if ms locked the content Sony cannot loose content not produced....
This is relying on a "'miss to win" ideology that is pure nonsense imo
You can't assume you will have something not existing...so much can happen.
This deal didn't happened without reasons like opportunity Sony took didn't happened without reasons.
If they can buy the studios it's more than probable it is because they are looking for ways to grow or because they are in difficulty and no other "feelings" are attached.

Last edited:
You don't just acquire a game developer for no reason, dumb ass. They have to have proven success. Sony jumped on talent when they were successful but still affordable.

Oh, nice, name calling. Reported
They acquired/threw money at Naughty Dog after the success of the Crash franchise.

Yes, and? I've said in one of previous posts : barely produced a single IP before Sony acquired them.
They acquired/threw money at Guerilla after the success of Killzone.
Same :barely produced a single IP before Sony acquired them.
They acquired/threw money at Sucker punch after the success of Sly Cooper and Infamous.
Actually, they've approached Sony for publishing a Sly Cooper
They acquired/threw money at (the now defunct) Zipper Interactive after the success of Crimson Skies and SOCOM.

So, they developed games for PC, later for PS platform

They acquired/threw money at (the now defunct) Evolution after the success of the World Rally Championship and Motorstorm.

They have/had history with Insomniac..but they acquired/threw money at them after the wild success of Spiderman.

Like i've said, these two already developed games for Sony before Sony bought them. Same as Playground games.

abacab :Now its an outright problem that Microsoft is making an effort to strengthen their first party and right those wrongs.

Some developer acqusition is Ok. Won't mind, let's applaud to MS for buying a whole publisher. Yaaaaay

If there’s one thing I fucking hate, it’s revisionist history.

Maximum Overdrive Manga GIF by swerk

Yes, Insomniac already developed many games for PS platform.

Sonys last year acquisition has nothing to do with Sunset Overdrive sequel. LOL Game was released 7 years ago
You, Xbox community, can blame only yourself because you didn't buy the game in enough copies to secure the sequel. You, Xbox community, fucked up this game badly for your platform. You didnd't supported the game enough

MS responded to aggressive Sony moves with an even more aggressive move 🤷🏻‍♂️ Am I wrong?

Few timed exclusives ( which already would appear on other platform sooner or latter) vs. Publisher acquisition ( locking bunch of games from other platform for good).

Last edited:

Forsythia

Yeah, how about Xbox/PC gamers are glad Sony isn't going to swoop in and moneyhat another timed exclusive, or exclusive ingame content. Or have you missed this news: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/repo...ls-offered-more-money-than-microsoft.1560435/

Last edited:

So marketing deals are equivalent to first party exclusives now? Cool.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It's funny how Xbox community DESPERATELY trying to compare some timed exclusives ( like FFXVI, Deathloop, Tokyo) vs. whole publisher acquisition. Why go so low. LOL
Getting every zenimax and square Enix game as a timed exclusive was in part the Ryan plan to content starve the series x out of existence. Starfield was with in inches of another Sony exclusive before Microsoft bought zenimax.
Poor little MS had to defend itself from those Phony timed exclusivity deals, after spending the last few years buying out studios left and right.
Buying studios in bad financial shape. Double fine had to remove boss fights from their game until Microsoft bought them out. Obsidian was making AA games due to money. Brian Fargo spent half his day fund raising instead of making games. Maybe Sony should help out a few of the small studios that need it instead of money hats to the big publishers

Top Bottom