• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Microsoft is laying off 10,000 people today, including in its gaming divisions such as Xbox and Bethesda."

Rykan

It won't affect affect Starfield. Starfield is nearly done, so certain sectors of the games development are being let go. This is normal, it's just sensationalism.

They will scale up again as ES VI production ramps up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bethesda employees? That sucks. MS so recently acquired them. At the same time, they are onboarding more people by acquiring Activision. I do not understand the rationale behind it.

Anyway, 10K people are too many. Best wishes to the people who lost their jobs and their families. I hope they find themselves back on their feet very soon. Being downsized sucks.

wow 10k is a lot

"The American technology company Microsoft employs approximately 221,000 people in full-time positions worldwide."
still a lot

Is this your way of damage-controlling it? Just because it's a fraction of their total workforce doesn't mean those 10K people are insignificant. That's still 10,000 people now without jobs.

Like others have been saying, this is to please shareholders. That's it. Unless you're a shareholder I don't see why you'd be trying to minimize the scope of the layoffs as being little, just because they have over 200K employees all around. People are still being fired and that's the point.

Twitter released more features in the last month than in the last 2 year....A lot of people in these giant corporation do nothing. I am pretty sure many of the MS layoffs will on the non-operational side. Marketing snowflakes and such...

Unless you know something we dont, losing a job is not something to dismiss. You dont know what people are getting fired, if they are, so going around saying "ah its prolly just useless people" just so you can suck MS dick, is petty af. Grow up.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Is this your way of damage-controlling it? Just because it's a fraction of their total workforce doesn't mean those 10K people are insignificant. That's still 10,000 people now without jobs.

Like others have been saying, this is to please shareholders. That's it. Unless you're a shareholder I don't see why you'd be trying to minimize the scope of the layoffs as being little, just because they have over 200K employees all around. People are still being fired and that's the point.
what damage controlling?!
I am saying that 10k is a lot even if they employ 210 lol. Read again

Wait what? Why Bethesda too?
Any acquisition comes with massive redundancy. They literally don't need Bethesda to have their own separate marketing, accounting, PR, HR, or publishing capability. MS can already do that. They literally have doubles of whole departments.

In addition, all tech companies have gone on hiring sprees for years and are now downsizing.

This won't impact developers or IP. Sucks for those losing their job but its not unexpected.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I love this line: "This mass layoff arrives exactly one year after Microsoft announced plans to purchase Activision Blizzard for $69 billion." As if you can't have fat stacks AND reduce your workforce for more efficiency.

Pelta88

Microsoft PR: We're letting our game developers form unions!!!

Microsoft behind the scenes:

awkward-black.gif

It won't affect affect Starfield. Starfield is nearly done, so certain sectors of the games development are being let go. This is normal, it's just sensationalism.

They will scale up again as ES VI production ramps up.

Pretty sure this was expected. They’re cutting redundant positions and such.
I don't think you both understand how big this is, 10K is a lot of people to lay off at one time this isn't normal at all.

No way all those positions were redundant

Last edited:
Humans tend to be an unforunate requirement for companies. It will be interesting to see what society does with this information.

I expect there will start to be humanity goals for companies some day, with executives rewarded or penalized for these activities. You cant sell to people if there is no planet. You cant sell if there is no one left to buy.

Kvally

Banned
And 18,000 more laid off at Amazon announced :( Goldman Sachs, Facebook, Sales Force and JP Morgan just announced big layoffs now too. Are we going back to the COVID days? :(

twilo99

Twitter released more features in the last month than in the last 2 year....A lot of people in these giant corporation do nothing. I am pretty sure many of the MS layoffs will on the non-operational side. Marketing snowflakes and such...

Yep. HR departments are extremely overweight as well.

This kind of excess hiring is normal when corporations start making so much money.

2019: ~144,000 Microsoft employees
2020: ~163,000 Microsoft employees
2021: ~181,000 Microsoft employees
2022: ~221,000 Microsoft employees

It makes no sense. Not sure how much of that is from acquisitions, etc. but they should go back to pre 2019 numbers

Last edited:
They hired 50k during the pandemic..

All the tech companies went on massive hiring sprees during the pandemic.
Because tech companies were making record profits during the pandemic.

The money is always there, companies are just greedy. This is why the idea of a "career" isn't real anymore when it comes to working at these big companies. Why work your ass off for a place that will let you go to save a few dollars.

geary

MS has tons of employees offering consultancy regarding their products. A lot of companies reduce the need of those products, so the department who offer consultancy have a lot of employees with no clients. This is something which happens in MS HQ right now in my country.

skybaby

I just got off a Microsoft cloud AI services presentation and by god the lady sounded like me at a high school presentation, just reading from the slides, stuttering and going but'um. Absolutely pathetic.

Three

Any acquisition comes with massive redundancy. They literally don't need Bethesda to have their own separate marketing, accounting, PR, HR, or publishing capability. MS can already do that. They literally have doubles of whole departments.

In addition, all tech companies have gone on hiring sprees for years and are now downsizing.

This won't impact developers or IP. Sucks for those losing their job but its not unexpected.
The acquisition closed in early 2021 a while ago, that's not what this is. Also:

Last edited:
what damage controlling?!
I am saying that 10k is a lot even if they employ 210 lol. Read again

My bad. It's just that I saw Tom Warren on Twitter highlighting how many people they've employed in the past few years and was wondering what relevance that had to 10,000 people losing their job today. He just put the info out there and no context or perspective, so I thought he was trying to downplay the scope since it's not a large part of their workforce.

And for whatever reason I thought your post was more of the same. Apologies if I misconstrued.

MS has tons of employees offering consultancy regarding their products. A lot of companies reduce the need of those products, so the department who offer consultancy have a lot of employees with no clients. This is something which happens in MS HQ right now in my country.

That's the majority of who are going to be impacted, and those jobs are among the most "expendable", generally speaking, at these big tech companies.

Still though, it's sad those people have to go; in the past people from smaller departments would have had a chance to work their way up the corporate ladder and become big. That's how Satya Nadella eventually became CEO (tho I think he started out as a smaller-scale programmer way back).

That corporate mobility dream is more or less dead these days and these types of layoffs don't help in fixing that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom