• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is courting the opinion of Resetera to ban people in real life.

It’s not bitching when there is in fact a problem.

I’ve been a member there for years and even here though I haven’t been that active till recently.

Era has been consistently good at reporting gaming news but whenever an issue is reported regarding anything to do with politics, prejudice, etc things have always circulated in the way Era has determined and if you make any so so comment that isn’t part of their agenda you might as well be banned from existence.

Issues like these shouldn’t be part of a gaming forum *period* and I know a lot of people might disagree with me but I face prejudice on a daily basis being so far away from my family because of my orientation but I’m alive and still dealing with all the hurdles life throws at me.

I’ve always looked at gaming as an escape from the hardships of life and not much else and I might be wrong in feeling this way but it’s my opinion and I take it to heart.
It is bitching. A competitive dick measuring contest to proclaim which politically leaning forum is righteous. The comments that proclaim Major Nelson or Microsoft are bad without even the effort of reading the ops post or the thread in question is the absolute best example of this. The irony is the complete lack of awareness that it is the same behavior on the opposite side of the spectrum. You take it serious.. fantastic for you. But realize that GAF was no different at one time and at time is still the same with the douchebag bait and reporting that goes on here too.

Grass is always greener ehh

V80RkUb.jpg

rgu7oDg.jpg

hOO8XRS.jpg

c3WOacN.jpg

kPlXqgp.jpg

WuiualR.jpg

JordanN

Banned
When Neogaf calls something out, the end result isn't that people now have to fear for their lives. They don't have to fear that tomorrow, they may wake up and find themselves living on the street.
There is actually a system of due process. Where no one is completely judged until all evidence is brought forth to the table for everyone to evaluate without bias.

That system doesn't exist on Resetera, and honestly, it's getting really tiring having to hear you can't criticize that without automatically being labeled "but you guys are totally the same! Lol".

Nah man, we've already seen what happens when one side throws around accusations but then immediately acts on it without waiting for a jury. They literally burn stuff down.

9C8NOra.jpg

I'll say it again, claiming to be on the side of social justice or similar causes doesn't make you a hero. Because they've also demonstrated at the same time that they are quick to engage in irrational behavior.
I'm saying, I don't understand why Microsoft wants to be associated with that clique.

Last edited:

benjipwns

Banned
I really doubt Microsoft or even Major Nelson cares about a modder that they and the community seems to have already known about in terms of his personality. Nelson signed up there early on like a bunch of people and rarely posts (37 posts in two and a half years) but got a bunch of notifications from people pinging him.

I'm not even sure who he would "elevate" this to who would care or have anything to do regarding it. Frank O'Connor?

If you see a post that makes general statements and you think "This isn't about me", it's probably not about you. You gave reasons why they're a problem, so it probably wasn't about you. Your response missed the point though.

This is a public forum - and this is going to be relevant later on . It doesn't have to be addressed to me, nor is it relevant whether it's addressed to me or not. You made extremely generic statements and I'm giving my opinion on them.

If certain parts of GAF conducted themselves a bit better, perhaps it would be seen as a more valuable place than it currently is.

This is a public forum. Moderation isn't too heavy-handed. In order for a public forum to exabit the sort of uniformly stellar quality you have in mind, moderation would have to be much stricter and start deleting posts left and right. I'd rather not. I'd rather have people being candid, if sometimes crass.

And "be seen as valuable" by whom? Developers? Are you a developer? Do developers have a consensual opinion on GAF? Do you know if they check GAF regularly? How would you know?

Given the current political climate, I don't think that's the issue. I don't see developers coming back publicly any time soon.

Take TLoU2. Instead of giving feedback on the game, there was a lot of "Cuckmann" and "Let's review bomb" people.

Yes, there was some of that. Of course other members did the exact opposite. You're forgetting all about the constant accusations thrown at anyone who criticized the game. And then there was that lovely incident whereby one member even posted a mock review, suggesting GAF with its incessant criticism of TLoU2 was comprised of a bunch of incels.

Peachy.

I don't appreciate Neil being referred to as "Cuckman" and the rare and vague condoning of review bombing the game. But I distinctly remember these people explaining themselves. Though I disagree with their behaviour, I see no valid reason to delete their posts.

Again, this is a public forum. I'd reserve moderation to much graver offences.
The public nature of this forum is what would allow you to openly and harshly criticize these posters and expose the folly in their arguments.

The legitimate criticisms were lost in the ad hominem responses. That isn't the sort of attitude that's better than the other side, that's just framing yourself as anti-other side.

The point still holds. What makes GAF better than Era is moderation. Unless you're calling for much stricter, borderline arbitrary moderation, which would bring about its own set of fresh new graver problems, post like the ones you mentioned are the rather modest price you'll be paying for ample freedom of speech.

That's not independent and better, that's secondary and reactionary. It makes you look like the bad guy, because while they believe they're right the response here is just "REeeeeeee" and "Fucking SJWs".

Your attempt to boil down reactions to the above quoted caricatures is noted.

GAF eats up the clickbait and headlines with the reactionary outrage just like everywhere else but it isn't willing to make itself a voice worth listening to. Places like GAF used to be above that clickbait and ragebait nonsense. What happened? People that disagree with their views and actions could ignore it if it's nothing worth legitimising by responding to or sharing in the first place, or actually provide a response that isn't "Fuck ResetEra" if a rational voice neds to be heard. I've seen it happen here. I've seen it happen on Twitter. It lets Era be the place where all the "Good" people went, leaving all the "Bad" people here. It's not true, but it's not like people are trying to change that.

How about you do your part, hey? How about you let people post what they feel like posting? If you disagree, call them out. Point out the flaws in their arguments.

Seriously though, you went from criticising me for not commenting on moderation being key (in a reply that wasn't about moderation) to your takeaway from a reply that was about moderation being that it wasn't about the moderation. I think you got caught up in wanting me to be the enemy.

No, you were suggesting one member having his allegedly racist posts taken down was evidence for the unspeakable. Spell it out.

genjiZERO

I’ll be honest. I did the whole transition from this site to Era and honestly... it’s not even a proper gaming forum anymore. Politics and every other personal issue that a game developer deals in their daily lives is highlighted to death on that forum.

About a month ago I was banned for supposedly making a transphobic comment regarding a thread about Warner’s secret Harry Potter game and I said “why shouldn’t jk Rowling be attached?” This of course without reading too much on her personal history; I just knew she wrote, like, 90% of all Harry Potter lore? Now that I know she’s garbage oh well but why should I be banned over something so stupid?

The amount of *bigotry*, (YES that’s what it is!) on display in that forum knows no words and I honestly wouldn’t forgive them even if they apologized.

Hella late, but I got banned the first time for saying that the I didn't think the characters in Splatoon represented races (in reference to whether plushies could be whitewashed), and the second time (which was possibly a permaban - I haven't checked) for merely pondering when "racist humor" could be acceptable. In neither instance did anyone ask me to further explain what I meant. I suppose the second statement was too nuanced for a forum, but that place is so hyper-PC that my mental image of their mods are Red Guards willing to burn their own parents alive for merely questioning the status quo. It's like "cancel-culture" the forum.

Hella late, but I got banned the first time for saying that the I didn't think the characters in Splatoon represented races (in reference to whether plushies could be whitewashed), and the second time (which was possibly a permaban - I haven't checked) for merely pondering when "racist humor" could be acceptable. In neither instance did anyone ask me to further explain what I meant. I suppose the second statement was too nuanced for a forum, but that place is so hyper-PC that my mental image of their mods are Red Guards willing to burn their own parents alive for merely questioning the status quo. It's like "cancel-culture" the forum.

How I picture ERA and its Mods.
....Meanwhile in thread #742
A5oPxIV.gif

I still don't understand what's the big deal. Any website is free to ban whomever they want, right? That's why we get competition like this site or XBoxEra.

aries_71

Didn't MajorNelson post here some years ago? Did he stop?

Could we ask him to ban Stinkles? Preattly please?

Last edited:

royox

I still don't understand what's the big deal. Any website is free to ban whomever they want, right? That's why we get competition like this site or XBoxEra.

They want MS to ban his MS account or modding account or collab for stuff he said on Twitter.

Kerotan

Lol I got banned for saying something about the Japanese typhoon disaster during the rugby World Cup. They said I was using the deaths for console warring when my own sister was in japan at the time.

There were triggered Nintendo fanboys from the media create thread reading through my posts and any they could report out of context they would. Sure I said the scandal in Mixer was the platforms last straw and got perma banned for console warring. That very day MS put the service to rest.

There's something very anti Sony about that website. The mods must be on the MS PR payroll. They know how much Gaf influenced the console war last gen and they obviously want to leverage that this gen. Sadly it won't be enough.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Lol I got banned for saying something about the Japanese typhoon disaster during the rugby World Cup. They said I was using the deaths for console warring when my own sister was in japan at the time.

There were triggered Nintendo fanboys from the media create thread reading through my posts and any they could report out of context they would. Sure I said the scandal in Mixer was the platforms last straw and got perma banned for console warring. That very day MS put the service to rest.

There's something very anti Sony about that website. The mods must be on the MS PR payroll. They know how much Gaf influenced the console war last gen and they obviously want to leverage that this gen. Sadly it won't be enough.
Indeed a site with majority users from one side, so much that users from the Xbox side made their own forum complaining about trolling preventing any form of discussion must be working for Microsoft after all.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned

Do you mind posting the link please?

GHG

Gold Member
Indeed a site with majority users from one side, so much that users from the Xbox side made their own forum complaining about trolling preventing any form of discussion must be working for Microsoft after all.

Let's be honest, is there anywhere Xbox fans don't moan about being the minority?

Era was as good as it got, they were quite literally a protected species there until the discord stuff leaked.

Reminds me of PlayStation fans around the time the PS3 launched, PSU got popular because the diehard Sony fans couldn't handle the criticism Sony was getting at the time on forums that covered all platforms, it was too much for fragile minds.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Let's be honest, is there anywhere Xbox fans don't moan about being the minority?

Era was as good as it got, they were quite literally a protected species there until the discord stuff leaked.

Reminds me of PlayStation fans around the time the PS3 launched, PSU got popular because the diehard Sony fans couldn't handle the criticism Sony was getting at the time on forums that covered all platforms, it was too much for fragile minds.
Some people here seem to whine more about conspiracies then you complain about Xbox fans whining.

Kerotan

Do you mind posting the link please?

Lmao I forgot they threw in the racism angle as their excuse. That's peak era right there.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Look, I enjoy my time here at neogaf but this forum negatively impacts gaming culture just as bad as resetera. All the gatekeeping, stereotype confirming, console warring bullshit is plastered all over these forum walls. Your not even allowed to get excited or talk positively about a game/console without getting your medicine. Look at the front page... Half the the threads would make someone think we hate video games as much as we bitch about them.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Look, I enjoy my time here at neogaf but this forum negatively impacts gaming culture just as bad as resetera. All the gatekeeping, stereotype confirming, console warring bullshit is plastered all over these forum walls. Your not even allowed to get excited or talk positively about a game/console without getting your medicine. Look at the front page... Half the the threads would make someone think we hate video games as much as we bitch about them.
For how long have you been on the internet?
This is a place to be critic of our hobby as we want the industry players to improve their practices towards us, the consumer.
If we were only grateful and regurgitated everything that the press feeds us, you would be paying for gaming “minutes” and wouldn’t even own the hardware you buy.

FunkMiller

I got banned for having the temerity to suggest that women’s opinions on trans rights should probably also be listened to and considered, so that a happy compromise can be reached that satisfies everyone.

This was basically akin to me saying I wanted to gas a room full of newborn babies just to see the looks on their faces.*

You either agree with the groupthink or you’re a nazi.

*I DO want to gas a room full of newborn babies, but this is ENTIRELY BESIDE THE POINT.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
For how long have you been on the internet?
This is a place to be critic of our hobby as we want the industry players to improve their practices towards us, the consumer.
If we were only grateful and regurgitated everything that the press feeds us, you would be paying for gaming “minutes” and wouldn’t even own the hardware you buy.
Yes.. I'm sure neogaf is the salt that preserves the gaming community. Lolol

godhandiscen

Yes.. I'm sure neogaf is the salt that preserves the gaming community. Lolol
You call it salt, but what I see is critical thinking.
Also, you can choose to be happy with the status quo of micro transactions, pay2win, unfinished games as final releases, console launches without new games, fake trailers that mislead customers, etc. Nobody is silencing your voice, go and tell the companies how much you love them.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
You call it salt, but what I see is critical thinking.
Also, you can choose to be happy with the status quo of micro transactions, pay2win, unfinished games as final releases, console launches without new games, fake trailers that mislead customers, etc. Nobody is silencing your voice, go and tell the companies how much you love them.
Hahahah these belittling accusations you're making are ridiculous. You have no idea who I am nor my purchasing habits. Just stop.

The irony is you are doing the same thing that you are wrongly accusing me of. Defending cry baby, fake Insiders, disingenuous post that try to mislead people. Go and tell neogaf how much you love them. I'll be having fun playing video games.

P.s. for people not following the convo. I enjoy my time here and it is the only gaming forum I frequent. I was just pointing out some hypocrisy and lack of self-awareness before super neogaf defender starting telling me what I like and dislike.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Got @EviLore permission to post this.

So um yeah. Everyone knows about the "game" forum Resetera and their negative influences on the game industry.

Well now some major players are directly going to the website and are looking to cull some people in real life.

2zQUCna.png

In the past, the forum would screech and yell at Publishers to take notice of them, but now it appears they can go directly to industry heads to push their own agenda.

Edit: By a user's request, it doesn't stop there. The same forum is demanding even more action be done after grabbing Major Nelson's attention.

b9mMWMK.png

A good mixture of Microsoft and Reee.

godhandiscen

Hahahah these belittling accusations you're making are ridiculous. You have no idea who I am nor my purchasing habits. Just stop.

The irony is you are doing the same thing that you are wrongly accusing me of. Defending cry baby, fake Insiders, disingenuous post that try to mislead people. Go and tell neogaf how much you love them. I'll be having fun playing video games.
I am not defending anybody, but appreciating the diversity of discourse in the forum. You are the one who claimed the forum was full of salt, when that is not the truth. If some negative comments make you think that of the forum, then be the positive voice you wish to hear. IMHO, there is little to praise nowadays.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I am not defending anybody, but appreciating the diversity of discourse in the forum. You are the one who claimed the forum was full of salt, when that is not the truth. If some negative comments make you think that of the forum, then be the positive voice you wish to hear. IMHO, there is little to praise nowadays.
Agree to disagree. Maybe it's because gaming is big business now. It's no longer a hidden hobby that allowed a few genius or ambitious people to become very wealthy. Corporate America smelled blood and now we swim with sharks.

levyjl1988

Banned
Good to know people of the gaming industry are looking at gaming forums.

Now if they can read this message, we want more furries in video games.
Animal Crossing has furries and look how many units its selling.
Give us remaster of Star Fox Assault on Nintendo Switch!!!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Look, I enjoy my time here at neogaf but this forum negatively impacts gaming culture just as bad as resetera. All the gatekeeping, stereotype confirming, console warring bullshit is plastered all over these forum walls.
this is literally every forum i have ever used. hell it was like this before the internet was invented, when you talked about video games at school.

at least Neo doesn't have the VOLUME of toxicity Era has. the lower volume makes it easier for mods to control, and there are far less bans and power hungry little authoritarians ruining everything and making it all about them.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
this is literally every forum i have ever used. hell it was like this before the internet was invented, when you talked about video games at school.

at least Neo doesn't have the VOLUME of toxicity Era has. the lower volume makes it easier for mods to control, and there are far less bans and power hungry little authoritarians ruining everything and making it all about them.
I agree with the point regarding bans and moral authoritarians. Even if I agree, not a fan of booting someone because they do not.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
There was a wonderful Sunhi Legend gif about this with a scene from The Matrix, but I can’t find it for my life.

This was basically akin to me saying I wanted to gas a room full of newborn babies just to see the looks on their faces.*

*I DO want to gas a room full of newborn babies, but this is ENTIRELY BESIDE THE POINT.
Well, they do too, as long as the babies are white.

Top Bottom