• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is bringing its Xbox Auto HDR feature to PC games

ManaByte

Gold Member

Microsoft is planning to automatically add HDR support to more than 1,000 PC games. The software maker is now testing a new Auto HDR feature on Windows 10, which works just like it does on the latest Xbox Series S and X consoles. Enabling Auto HDR will add high dynamic range (HDR) to a large number of DirectX 11 and DirectX 12 games, as long as you have a compatible HDR monitor.

Auto HDR can be enabled in the latest Windows 10 test build (21337) released to Windows Insiders today. It should be automatically enabled, or you can toggle it in the display part of settings. Auto HDR is just in preview for now, and not all top DirectX 11 / 12 games will support it just yet. Microsoft is also working to optimize performance and fix some issues, and the company does admit “Auto HDR does take some GPU compute power to implement.”

GymWolf

How does it work? It's only for non-hdr games? Can i choose the auto hdr instead of an already pre-existent hdr in a game? Is ti good quality or barely better/on par than a bad hdr application?!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wow that's pretty neat. Auto HDR has been neat for most games I have used it with. A few it made some weird flickering appear but it was rare.

Topher

Gold Member
Loving the PC gaming love. Keep it up, Microsoft.

Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

LordCBH

I’ve heard their auto hdr feature on Xbox is fantastic. This will be very welcome, but the prerequisite for me would be fixing the broke ass HDR implementation in windows as a whole.

Making me wonder when they'll bring backwards compatibility to the Windows Store. Would finally have an advantage over steam/epic if you could play old ass games no problem, something that blows dick currently on pc.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Making me wonder when they'll bring backwards compatibility to the Windows Store. Would finally have an advantage over steam/epic if you could play old ass games no problem, something that blows dick currently on pc.

Huh? With Dosbox playing old games isn't a problem on Win10.

DaGwaphics

How freaking old are we talking. Backwards compatibility is an automatic thing on PC, at least until games get really old. Then you might start to have issues getting things to open etc.

There are still quite a few OG Xbox era titles that run just fine on a modern Windows 10 PC.

Without emulators or going into files. People are currently buying the Series X for backwards compatibility so obviously not everything runs on PC. Hell Project 64 still gives my 3090 garbage frames when i was playing Turok 3 like 2 days ago. I'd love to buy Jet Set Radio Future , Brute Force or Rare Replay for my PC.

Last edited:
Really cool to see this brought to PC. Fingers crossed we see some kind of Xbox emulation officially supported by the Microsoft store.

martino

I really don't see something you can call a layout change in the file explorer screenshot of this news....
Or maybe i'm not sensible enough ...because adding a checkbox isn't for me.

whatever i'm all in for auto hdr

edit: next one should be xbox bc
tenor.gif

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
if only they put gamepass on steam instead of there own shit app....other than that theyre great.
How would GamePass work on Steam with a Steam account? It needs a MS account, which is an OS-level feature in Windows 10. Putting it on Steam would be adding an additional step. You'd need to login to both MS and Steam for it to work. Having it in the Xbox app on Widows 10 eliminates an additional step.

johntown

Banned
Done all this and still could not get hdr work on gears 5, gave up, fuck windows, whole things a mess
Are you using Gysnc or Freesync? HDR does not work properly if you have those running. The only way they do is if you have Gsync Ultimate or Freesync Premium Pro.

To add I wonder if there auto-HDR feature will still work properly with gsync or freesync?

Top Bottom