• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is "All In" on Gaming according to CEO Satya Nadella

MacReady13

Well I don't understand this whole obsession with "owning" consumable stuff, especially if it's all there. I never owned a single TV channel and yet somehow I'm watching it daily for decades now, I never owned a single YT video, yet I am browsing the service daily since ever it launched, I don't own a single IG picture, and yet I'm browsing it on a daily basis, I don't own Imax abd yet I am able to watch movies there, I joined Netflix just last year, and all the content that launched before I joined is there, same deal with Spotify, GamePass, and so on.

It's all simply way more convenient, versatile, portable, and in worst case scenario costs the same as physical distribution, but usually much, much less, meaning tgat for the same price you're getting much more. Like really, you want me to print pictures from Instagram with all the memes, cars, motivation quotes, hot chick, fitness tips etc. just so I can physically own them? For what? So I can come back to them years later? For what?

And really, people live with Steam for over a decade and no one complaints, quite the opposite, it's only the console crowd who cries about owning games, only to defend 70€ price tag a minute later, well no wonder you guys are so attached to those plastic 2$ uray discs when you spend that much on them.

But the bottomline is, as you grow up you learn that time flies like a motherfucker, and you just enjoy the moments while they last, and leave the past where it's place is, in the past, not on you shelf closed in a plastic box.
I'm 41 years old this Sunday, so I have been gaming basically my whole life (since a kid playing ColecoVision to today playing PS5/Series X) and I am quite content owning content.

Silly of you to talk Instagram photo's and youtube videos. Who the fuck wants to own youtube videos? It's a free service! You watch if you want and don't watch if you don't feel the need. Same as free to air tv.
I'm talking physical media for tv/movies/games and even music. You may not like owning "plastic boxes" but some of us do. Some of us like the fact if we aren't interested in owning these items down the track we can sell them, but they are always ours to own.

Convenience isn't an excuse to not own anything you purchase. Keep throwing your money to subscription services for them one day to disappear and all that wasted money is for nothing. Today my wife feels like watching That 70's Show (for some reason). Please tell me where she can watch it on a streaming service??? Would you like to jump onto COD on Series X with me later via game pass? We can play online together...

This is not to have a go at you, I'm just really not into giving all my money to these companies to dictate what we can watch/play/listen to (how many fucking songs are NOT on Spotify due to fucking reasons) whenever they feel like it. I would much rather purchase my games physically or even via PSN than pay for a subscription service. Just my personal preference. Keep subscription alongside physical media/online digital purchases and I am happy with that.

Good for you to care more to defend a shitty multinational trend than your own customer rights about your games, what we can say :messenger_tears_of_joy: And who has ever said the EULA and copyright laws about digital games are better than GamePass
Good thing there are choices for everyone. People choose to buy physical, people choose to buy digital, people choose to subscribe. No one’s choice as bad, but some opinions are simply misguided.

I'm 41 years old this Sunday, so I have been gaming basically my whole life (since a kid playing ColecoVision to today playing PS5/Series X) and I am quite content owning content.

Silly of you to talk Instagram photo's and youtube videos. Who the fuck wants to own youtube videos? It's a free service! You watch if you want and don't watch if you don't feel the need. Same as free to air tv.
I'm talking physical media for tv/movies/games and even music. You may not like owning "plastic boxes" but some of us do. Some of us like the fact if we aren't interested in owning these items down the track we can sell them, but they are always ours to own.

Convenience isn't an excuse to not own anything you purchase. Keep throwing your money to subscription services for them one day to disappear and all that wasted money is for nothing. Today my wife feels like watching That 70's Show (for some reason). Please tell me where she can watch it on a streaming service??? Would you like to jump onto COD on Series X with me later via game pass? We can play online together...

This is not to have a go at you, I'm just really not into giving all my money to these companies to dictate what we can watch/play/listen to (how many fucking songs are NOT on Spotify due to fucking reasons) whenever they feel like it. I would much rather purchase my games physically or even via PSN than pay for a subscription service. Just my personal preference. Keep subscription alongside physical media/online digital purchases and I am happy with that.
I don't give a fuck about the rest of your post but Happy Birthday for this Sunday

Bryank75

Banned
happy zapp brannigan GIF

I was under the impression that you could buy physical games on the Xbox. Has this changed and I missed the announcement?

ZehDon

Happy Birthday for Sunday!

I'm a little bit in this camp, but I still have Gamepass. I love physical media - the most recent example of why, apart from superior audio/visual quality, is one of my favourite TV comedies, Community. Early on in the show, there's an absolute standout episode about Dungeons and Dragons... and it was pulled from the show on streaming services because idiots misunderstood a joke and thought it was blackface. The episode got pulled, the people in charge "apologised", and I doubt we'll ever get it back. If I didn't already own the show on physical media where that episode is printed on the disc they can't touch, I'd never get to see it again.
With Gamepass, I treat it as a discoverability service. Find new games to play - like Sniper Elite 4, which I'd never played till Gamepass, and I ended up buying the entire series - for cheap. If something really great comes along - Gears Tactics, Sniper Elite 4, etc. - I'll buy it because, well, see Community above. With the number of games I've played, and although enjoyed - like Outriders - I didn't pull the trigger on a purchase because I wouldn't go back to them, Gamepass pays for itself.
Anyway, as long as we always have the option to buy the game so we're not shackled to Gamepass, I think any position here is fine.

DrAspirino

Banned
uh oh.....seems like Microsoft would like to save money by going full xcloud here, massive input delay incoming
I live in a shitty 3rd world country (Chile) and even I have FTTH with a 1Gbps connection with a "massive" 5ms delay to Microsoft local datacenters. How come the US have such shitty internet is beyond me.

MOTM

Banned
I live in a shitty 3rd world country (Chile) and even I have FTTH with a 1Gbps connection with a "massive" 5ms delay to Microsoft local datacenters. How come the US have such shitty internet is beyond me.
Because Chile is 3rd world now? :)

DrAspirino

Banned
Because Chile is 3rd world now? :)
It's always been a 3rd world country, nowhere near as developed as western Europe/US. The internet was born in the US, most tech companies are from the US. The biggest game developers are from Japan and the US, yet the US has shitty internet while Japan doesn't (all the while the US SHOULD have the best internet of all).

MOTM

Banned
It's always been a 3rd world country, nowhere near as developed as western Europe/US. The internet was born in the US, most tech companies are from the US. The biggest game developers are from Japan and the US, yet the US has shitty internet while Japan doesn't (all the while the US SHOULD have the best internet of all).
Never been to Chile but always seemed very developed at least from the outside. Just thought it was funny you called it 3rd world :)

Dr. Suchong

We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”
e832aba852d11d90de5b0ef59fff1f06.jpg
This.
What a fucking blowhard.

mckmas8808

Banned
This is definitely not true. You don't really me to tell you this...

So let me guess.......Microsoft wasn't really trying to compete in the video game space from the year 2000- 2020? So 20 years MS was just playing around not caring huh? And all of a sudden this year they've decided to get SERIOUS! That's the story we're all going with?

DrAspirino

Banned
So let me guess.......Microsoft wasn't really trying to compete in the video game space from the year 2000- 2020? So 20 years MS was just playing around not caring huh? And all of a sudden this year they've decided to get SERIOUS! That's the story we're all going with?
That has been the story all along. You seem to completely ignore how Microsoft gets when they "get serious" about a bussiness they want to get in. We're talking about acquiring companies (either hostile acquisitions or massive share acquisitions), bribing CEOs, forcing their stuff deeply into the OS (remember Internet Explorer? now Windows comes with integrated Xbox app), throwing MASSIVE amounts of money towards something, etc.

If Satya is involved in this, then shit got A LOT more serious. We're talking about using Microsoft's warchest as a whole, not just Xbox division.

Last edited:

jhjfss

You are right, MS was all about gaming with the reveal of xbone in 2013.

ZywyPL

Banned

It's all the same at its core, consumable media vs consumable media. The bottom line is, if you really like to physically own them, no one is stopping you, you have a choice to experience games either buy physically distribution, digital, or via service, the more the better, everyone will find what suits him the best. Really, go to the store, buy the box with the disk, and enjoy, if that's how you want to access games. But I simply cannot fight the feeling that all the aggressive narration like "enjoy not owning anything" or "enjoy renting games" is nothing but some sort of an insecurity where people are mad and desperately try to justify the fact that they spend a lot of money of something they played once and that's it, whereas other are enjoying the same games for just a few bucks. I sounds like the people who use those "rental services" are indeed enjoying it, whereas owning physical copies brings nothing but frustration.

I love what they are doing. I have put about 30 hours into gaming using my browser in my laptop while working (my job is in critical IT monitoring and reporting, and there is a lot of downtime between issues) over the last month. I do find that it only works well for certain types of games. I have played a bunch of myLeague in NBA2k21 and then also played about 10 hours of Octopath Traveler. I booted up Code Vein, but there was too much lag. I find much less input lag when playing on the app on my phone, so I am hoping that as they create native apps for each device it will get better.

Loope

Ha ha ha! Cheers mate. Thanks! Getting old, much like my way of thinking maybe!?!
I think it's a personal thing, i'm older than you and no way i want physical shit again all over the house. I'm all digital (Steam) and i movies/tv shows/music it's all on streaming services. Coming from someone that used to belong to a cinema club (yes those filled with pretentious assholes that go out of their way just to watch weird european movies ahah) and i was several years in a band ( i love music). Books i'm using Kobo more and more, the only exception are technical books, i like to have those physical.

Neither choice is wrong, you aren't older because of it, neither you are wrong or an idiot like some people say.What's important is that the choice for both is there, which (in my understanding) it's true. IF you like a game on gamepass you can aquire it, don't you? In the end, you'll still have a license for that game. Actually if i bought a ps5 now, it would be the digital, more beautiful and stylish, i don't understand why MS didn't do the same, since they have a service like GP.

KAL2006

Banned
Genuine question how good is streaming a game. Can I play a game like Street Fighter or Call of Duty without feeling like I'm playing underwater. I have smart TV and if Xbox app were to come out I would be tempted to try it obviously it wouldn't replace my console but for a few games here and there why not. The only issue is lag I cannot stand lag in games.

Genuine question how good is streaming a game. Can I play a game like Street Fighter or Call of Duty without feeling like I'm playing underwater. I have smart TV and if Xbox app were to come out I would be tempted to try it obviously it wouldn't replace my console but for a few games here and there why not. The only issue is lag I cannot stand lag in games.
I only tried Stadia and it worked almost flawlessly on my parents' shitty wireless (including repeater because the signal is too shit). If your connection is good you should be fine. Don't try to play with a mouse, though.

Brian Lara cricket Xbox rival confirmed!!

He does have two things that resemble impossible knots, maybe something... ouroboros... related? I got nothing.

edit - I'm being a nubbin, it could simply be Infinite for Halo: Infinite. There are two of them, so HALO INFINITE 2 incoming guys.
Wouldn't read too much into it tbh, He's from India so it would be like if he were Brazilian he would prolly have a football on the shelf.

And anyways cricket is gentlemen's game after all.

mckmas8808

Banned
That has been the story all along. You seem to completely ignore how Microsoft gets when they "get serious" about a bussiness they want to get in. We're talking about acquiring companies (either hostile acquisitions or massive share acquisitions), bribing CEOs, forcing their stuff deeply into the OS (remember Internet Explorer? now Windows comes with integrated Xbox app), throwing MASSIVE amounts of money towards something, etc.

If Satya is involved in this, then shit got A LOT more serious. We're talking about using Microsoft's warchest as a whole, not just Xbox division.

That's silly. MS cared, they just care more now. Lets stop this stupid narrative that MS didn't care about gaming over the last 20 years. They clearly care more now, more than ever though.

You are right, MS was all about gaming with the reveal of xbone in 2013.

No they just made the wrong bets back in 2013. But they cared A LOT! As a matter of fact MS cared so much that they created an all in one Xbox console to control the living room. It didn't work. People were moving away from cable, when MS thought they'd want to plug their cable box into their Xbox. Again they just made the wrong bets back then. There's a difference between not caring and "losing" and trying hard and "losing". I give MS credit for trying hard with the Xbox One. They did GREAT with the Xbox 360 generation actually.

Good for you to care more to defend a shitty multinational trend than your own customer rights about your games, what we can say :messenger_tears_of_joy: And who has ever said the EULA and copyright laws about digital games are better than GamePass
No one said they were better regarding gamepass, but gamepass is a choice. You can buy or subscribe to your games. I fail to see how that is an issue.

That's silly. MS cared, they just care more now. Lets stop this stupid narrative that MS didn't care about gaming over the last 20 years. They clearly care more now, more than ever though.

No they just made the wrong bets back in 2013. But they cared A LOT! As a matter of fact MS cared so much that they created an all in one Xbox console to control the living room. It didn't work. People were moving away from cable, when MS thought they'd want to plug their cable box into their Xbox. Again they just made the wrong bets back then. There's a difference between not caring and "losing" and trying hard and "losing". I give MS credit for trying hard with the Xbox One. They did GREAT with the Xbox 360 generation actually.

Not going to lie, having one system to do everything and have it voice controlled was awesome. It could control my TV, cable box, Xbox, and so on. The fact that I could move from Watching TV to games to apps without changing my input felt like the future.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Most exciting parts for me are the embedded streaming / cloud 'stick' stuff they're working on, and the Xbox cloud streaming in the PC app and on the console itself. Streaming in the browser is meh and I'd prefer a more unified experience.

Streaming on the Xbox will be HUGE, because it will let me easily play stuff without having to turn on my PC or connect to my phone to load up stuff quickly for Rewards quests and like the article mentioned, try before installation.

Could really be something down the road. Maybe work on a few GP specific models with one brand or another that includes a controller and a GPU trial in the box. A Xbox branded streaming stick might hit bigger than Stadia/Chromecast too, since Xbox is a much stronger brand in gaming.

Nadella has talked about gaming nearly as much as Phil the past couple of years. Its cool to see him fully on board after those rumours of him not being totally into gaming when he took over.

It's a sight how GP and game streaming have turned the tide at MS in regards to gaming/Xbox.

DaGwaphics

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I think it's a cricket ball:
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I saw "Croque ball" at first glance too. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The paddle should have been a dead give away though. Product of not being familiar at all with Cricket. Much more familiar with backyard Croque.

At least Nadella representing with a real football there. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Kenpachii

People with these opinions simple don't really know what is available in todays area. When i hear you talk i honestly see somebody that is stuck in the past.
I can't even imagine having any physical media player connected towards my tv or PC, its all garbage.

Here's how you solve your movie problem.

1) get a media player like nvidia shield, drop a 4tb or whatever harddrive next towards it
2) rip all you movies towards it and run plex
3) u now have your own netflix, and no longer u gotta deal with dvd's or other physical media or search for subscription streaming services, it will never dissapear, all super easy to access. With easy ways to search like, brat pitt movies, and boom they all show up. Also no internet traffic.

maxresdefault.jpg

Streaming services only content, how to solve this.

U watch a serie on hbo but u want to keep it forever?

1) download or rip the stream
2) drop it on your media box
3) profit.

Netflix drops friends the next year? because they lost the license to hbo or some other streaming service? not your problem. U have it.

All your physical media will be useless and never used ever again. U will throw your dvd/blu-ray player in the trash sooner rather then later.

Gaming

Solution for always keeping your digital license is PC gaming. There is nothing a developer or company can do, to take the game away from you as bc is endless really.

Microsoft shut down age of empires online years ago, pulled there service. guess what? still playing it today perfectly fine.

For console gaming, u don't think microsoft or sony pulled the support of there first online platforms even in todays age yet. It could easily be they bolt the online infrastructures in with there newer consoles before they pull the plug on that for bc reasons.

Still there is another thing to realize, do you really want to play gta 3 on a PS2 for example, or just emulate it at this point or buy the remaster for a better experience. That's also a huge factor why its maybe not that interesting to play super old games anymore on the platform itself. Personally i emulate all my old consoles / handheld games even new ones like switch, if i can't the game simple doesn't exist for me anymore.

My PC is pretty much a huge media center of gaming / movies / online streaming / forums / work all in one place at the press of a button and all at the same time on mulitple screens. Once u go that route and u see somebody still watch a blu-ray movie or plug a PS2 into there tv, u just feel like a time traveler back into the past so inefficient.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
People with these opinions simple don't really know what is available in todays area. When i hear you talk i honestly see somebody that is stuck in the past.
I can't even imagine having any physical media player connected towards my tv or PC, its all garbage.

Here's how you solve your movie problem.

1) get a media player like nvidia shield, drop a 4tb or whatever harddrive next towards it
2) rip all you movies towards it and run plex
3) u now have your own netflix, and no longer u gotta deal with dvd's or other physical media or search for subscription streaming services, it will never dissapear, all super easy to access. With easy ways to search like, brat pitt movies, and boom they all show up.

maxresdefault.jpg

Streaming services only content, how to solve this.

U watch a serie on hbo but u want to keep it forever?

1) download or rip the stream
2) drop it on your media box
3) profit.

Netflix drops friends the next year? because they lost the license to hbo or some other streaming service? not your problem. U have it.

All your physical media will be useless and never used ever again. U will throw your dvd/blu-ray player in the trash sooner rather then later.

Gaming

Solution for always keeping your digital license is PC gaming. There is nothing a developer or company can do, to take the game away from you as bc is endless really.

Microsoft shut down age of empires online years ago, pulled there service. guess what? still playing it today perfectly fine.

For console gaming, u don't think microsoft or sony pulled the support of there first online platforms even in todays age yet. It could easily be they bolt the online infrastructures in with there newer consoles before they pull the plug on that for bc reasons.

Still there is another thing to realize, do you really want to play gta 3 on a PS2 for example, or just emulate it at this point or buy the remaster for a better experience. That's also a huge factor why its maybe not that interesting to play super old games anymore on the platform itself. Personally i emulate all my old consoles / handheld games even new ones like switch, if i can't the game simple doesn't exist for me anymore.

My PC is pretty much a huge media center of gaming / movies / online streaming / forums / work all in one place at the press of a button and all at the same time on mulitple screens. Once u go that route and u see somebody still watch a blu-ray movie or plug a PS2 into there tv, u just feel like a time traveler back into the past so inefficient.
I love Plex. I buy TV series on DVD/Blu Ray or digitally from Apple when they go on sale and I rip them and access them through Plex. I don't rip streaming content that I don't pay for, though. If I watch something on HBO I don't feel as though I have the right to capture that for Plex, but I do feel as though I should be able to put stuff I buy from ITunes on there.

I have over 4 TB of content on Plex right now and I'm about to build a NAS so i can expand.

Pagusas

Elden Member
As an add on to the home console I like it. Say I’m really Into a game but need to travel, sounds like I can keep playing it from my ipad/MacBook/hotel room tv so long as I have a decent internet conntecrion and don’t mind a bit of lag. I’m cool with that as an alternative way to play when I’m not home.

as long as it’s all based around the home console unit for local gaming at max performance, and not getting rid of that

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned

Yes, they cared, but they weren't "serious" with it like they were/are with Windows, Office, and/or Azure. With Windows, Office, and/or Azure, for example, they go above and beyond regarding their investments and focus. We're talking about multi-million dollar deals with governments, multinational companies, universities, etc. and using every single trick in the book there is in order to maintain the grip in those industries. Until very recently (around the time Phil Spencer became in charge of the Xbox division), Microsoft actually had an internal debate wether to sell the Xbox division or keep it going like a "minor division" (like the Surface division).

mckmas8808

Banned
Yes, they cared, but they weren't "serious" with it like they were/are with Windows, Office, and/or Azure. With Windows, Office, and/or Azure, for example, they go above and beyond regarding their investments and focus. We're talking about multi-million dollar deals with governments, multinational companies, universities, etc. and using every single trick in the book there is in order to maintain the grip in those industries. Until very recently (around the time Phil Spencer became in charge of the Xbox division), Microsoft actually had an internal debate wether to sell the Xbox division or keep it going like a "minor division" (like the Surface division).

So how do we gaming fans, gauge from here on out if MS is being successful in their extra "seriousness"?

DrAspirino

Banned

Remember when I posted this?

10th of June, 2021.

THIS (Microsoft acquiring Activision-Blizzard) is Microsoft "getting serious". Satya Nadella said it last year and everybody here on gaf laughed at it, except people like me that knew full well how Microsoft handles things outside the gaming space.

For behemoths like Disney, Apple, Microsoft, Google or Facebook, practices like these are the norm when they get serious about something.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

10th of June, 2021.

THIS (Microsoft acquiring Activision-Blizzard) is Microsoft "getting serious". Satya Nadella said it last year and everybody here on gaf laughed at it, except people like me that knew full well how Microsoft handles things outside the gaming space.

For behemoths like Disney, Apple, Microsoft, Google or Facebook, practices like these are the norm when they get serious about something.
Wow.. such crazy analysis..

MS after already buying a $7 billion company was serious..

Only you knew! ONLY YOU!

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Wow.. such crazy analysis..

MS after already buying a $7 billion company was serious..

Only you knew! ONLY YOU!
Nope.

There are many people here on GAF that knows how Microsoft operates. Heck, just ask linux fanboys or anyone over 30 y/o and would get to exactly the same conclusion I gave.

The main problem is that these companies have too much power and too much money to burn so, in the end, all of them wind up screwing us, the final consumer regarding competition.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nope.

There are many people here on GAF that knows how Microsoft operates. Heck, just ask linux fanboys or anyone over 30 y/o and would get to exactly the same conclusion I gave.

The main problem is that these companies have too much power and too much money to burn so, in the end, all of them wind up screwing us, the final consumer regarding competition.
I'm just poking fun at you bumping an ancient thread to pat yourself on the back for that post ;)

<3

cireza

Banned

10th of June, 2021.

THIS
(Microsoft acquiring Activision-Blizzard) is Microsoft "getting serious". Satya Nadella said it last year and everybody here on gaf laughed at it, except people like me that knew full well how Microsoft handles things outside the gaming space.

Look at this guys, I was right, I was right !

Haha. Yes you were. Not everybody was blind though.

Jaybe

10th of June, 2021.

THIS
(Microsoft acquiring Activision-Blizzard) is Microsoft "getting serious". Satya Nadella said it last year and everybody here on gaf laughed at it, except people like me that knew full well how Microsoft handles things outside the gaming space.

I was betting EA and/or Valve and got told they were too big 😂 There’s still time.

Diddy X

Truth, those play on a different league, gaming is bigger than ever and getting bigger every day, the "behemoths" know it and are getting invested on it, and it seems it has just begun, what will the next 10 years look like in the industry? Will Sony or Nintendo be able to compete or will they be purchased?

How much is Nintendo worth? Phil seems to reallu like them and nothing seems impossible anymore.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
How much is Nintendo worth? Phil seems to really like them and nothing seems impossible anymore.
That one is as close to impossible as it gets at this point. Nintendo is printing money hands over fist on lower cost 2013 hardware. There is no reason to sell as they don't really compete with anyone.

Now a partnership of sorts is another matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom