• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is "All In" on Gaming according to CEO Satya Nadella

sircaw

Banned
some serious

R199910e76eed6f236e1f2c5e37999051

going on ITT
Disgusting "lollipop_disappointed:

Hope a Mako lands on you.

Hezekiah

Banned
No disrespect but you’re a random guy on a forum telling me that I need to doubt what the CEO of Microsoft is saying .. I mean 😂
I'm not telling you to doubt anything

Just pointing out there are no numbers - so "no. one selling" doesn't mean as much.

It's really pretty simple, no need to get sensitive about it 😁.

Stuart360

No idea about consoles in particular, but local hardware gaming like PC? Absolutely.
And i agree 100% about PC, and have said the same many times on here. Its the one bastion that streaming wont break imo.
But what about local consoles?

And i agree 100% about PC, and have said the same many times on here. Its the one bastion that streaming wont break imo.
It's hard to look 30 years into the future but I believe by then PC gaming will be a super niche hobby and 95% of the gamers will game via stream.

Spidey Fan

Banned
He said they are not. He didn't say they cannot.
They will. Companies will always want to maximize their profit. Stadia went without no IP, and failed. While Luna went and partnered with ubisoft with their uplay+. Both service are on early. once they get series, expect some series acquisition.

Zeroing

Banned
When the owner of those certain devices starts moneyhatting everything, you need to prepare a counter punch :messenger_beaming:
Lol is that even a good reason? When prior to that, MS was the one doing that?

All I see here is companies playing dirty with us gamers

“playing” damn I’m not funny 😆

I don't like it either. In a perfect world there would be no moneyhatting at all. But here we are.

CeeJay

So more of an xbox democracy than a gaming one. Who would have thought that bringing political analogies to gaming would be as deceptive as actual politics.
If Sony want to be the North Korea of games consoles then that's upto them, i'm sure Microsoft would happily put Xbox on Playstation as well if they could.

Spidey Fan

Banned

Its more about making your platform interesting. Sony went aggressive with that. So Microsoft is doing the same, but with large scale. I still cant play Spiderman on pc, let alone on xbox. I am not mad. Its just business.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Isn't buying an entire publisher to keep games specifically away from certain devices the opposite of what they're preaching?
I think they would put Gamepass on anything. They want to sell their subscriptions, but don't seem wedded to any physical device. If PS5 wanted to put Gamepass on there, it's honestly possible they'd go for it. They'd probably put it on Switch as well.

It's a very different strategy. Not sure if its the right way to go, but that's their philosophy.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

As long as there are enough people who are willing to buy consoles then there will be consoles. Look at vinyl records. There are enough people who want to buy vinyl that companies still make turntables and records are produced and sold for new releases. Thirty years ago few would have predicted it, but the market wanted it and so here we are.

So will everyone who wants to play games on local hardware want PCs? I think there will always be those who prefer consoles and so yeah, I think consoles will continue to be sold in thirty years.

Skifi28

I think they would put Gamepass on anything. They want to sell their subscriptions, but don't seem wedded to any physical device. If PS5 wanted to put Gamepass on there, it's honestly possible they'd go for it. They'd probably put it on Switch as well.

It's a very different strategy. Not sure if its the right way to go, but that's their philosophy.
That'd be a pretty awkward announcement. I'd like to see it live with both parties on stage!

Stuart360

It's hard to look 30 years into the future but I believe by then PC gaming will be a super niche hobby and 95% of the gamers will game via stream.
The thing with PC gamers (not all obviously) is a lot of them take pride in their hardware, and there are whole benchmarking and hardware sub cultures on PC. Then you take the likes of AMD, Nvidia, Intel etc, whose whole business is based on PC hardware, and they are obviously not going to be pushing for a streaming ONLY future. Then there is the obvious angle of the fact that PC's are not just for gaming, and can be used for many things, including work.
Streaming will be on PC, it already is, but IMO on PC there will always be the availablility of game downloads on PC.
On console, its whatever Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo tell you. Another beautiful thing about PC gaming, no one 'owns' pc.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Whenever I hear about a company like Microsoft going “all in” on something, all I can envision is how they plan to adapt that strategy into going “balls deep” into all of us. I don’t trust Microsoft.
Me too. I dont trust any big companies. I am afraid what will happen to batman, after Spiderman. Hell superman might break some people. Those 2 being acquired by 1 platform, will be more damaging than skyrim or gta being acquired. I dont want neither company to acquire these 2. xbox or sony. Those are games people need to enjoy.

Spidey Fan

Banned
The thing with PC gamers (not all obviously) is a lot of them take pride in their hardware, and there are whole benchmarking and hardware sub cultures on PC. Then you take the likes of AMD, Nvidia, Intel etc, whose whole business is based on PC hardware, and they are obviously not going to be pushing for a streaming ONLY future. Then there is the obvious angle of the fact that PC's are not just for gaming, and can be used for many things, including work.
Streaming will be on PC, it already is, but IMO on PC there will always be the availablility of game downloads on PC.
PC is business model, before gaming. You will need VR chip to make PC obsolete. Until then, pc will exist.

Allandor

So, there is the reason for the series s. Datacenters.
So developers must not develop another datacenter edition. The series s is more than enough as the streaming compression part will decrease the imagequality so no Series X needed there. Would just be a waste of processing power.

So as they blogged this out now, I hope they won't give it much time at their "e3 like" conference in a few days.

Last edited:
If you want "billions" of players you invest on mobile. That path has been clear for decades. There won't be any global mass "democratizing" of gaming anytime soon for traditional gaming, you can put them for FREE on all the toilets of this world, it won't make a difference.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
So developers must not develop another datacenter edition. The series s is more than enough as the streaming compression part will decrease the imagequality so no Series X needed there. Would just be a waste of processing power.

So as they blogged this out now, I hope they won't give it much time at their "e3 like" conference in a few days.
series x is for 4k output, and the new ray tracing. Series S is for casuals like me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I'm not even sure what that means.
It means less wallgarden bullshit and more cross-play and play for everyone in every device. Which is great for gaming overall. Not great for Sony Jimbo (Pay US for cross-play) mentality. Even Nintendo is becoming less restrictive but ironically Sony which is westernly led is becoming backward.

Spidey Fan

Banned
If you want "billions" of players you invest on mobile. That path has been clear for decades. There won't be any global mass "democratizing" of gaming anytime soon for traditional gaming, you can put them for FREE on all the toilets of this world, it won't make a difference.
how will you feel if you can play god of war 2 in the toilet, while you do your business?

silent head

So interestingly enough:

- Gamepass members spend 50% more than non members
- Day 1 “AAA” games such MLB & Outriders were also n•1 selling games.

Still, people insist Gamepass is killing sales on Xbox lol
Outriders ?

steam
1,000,000 .. 2,000,000
uiOczs7.jpg

CeeJay

As long as there are enough people who are willing to buy consoles then there will be consoles. Look at vinyl records. There are enough people who want to buy vinyl that companies still make turntables and records are produced and sold for new releases. Thirty years ago few would have predicted it, but the market wanted it and so here we are.

So will everyone who wants to play games on local hardware want PCs? I think there will always be those who prefer consoles and so yeah, I think consoles will continue to be sold in thirty years.
What happens though when you are playing the inferior version on local hardware no matter how much you spend on your rig? There will come a time when the instances of games running in the cloud using massive realtime simulations for their worlds are not feasible to do locally, you could say that Flight Simulator is already partly there. I doubt it will take 30 years.

Zeroing

Banned
Sign… Oh noes.

It’s hard to look from the past and realize after 20 years MS finally decided to get “all in” in gaming and their brand is niche, compared to the other 2 console makers.

anyway now being serious !

everyone here pretending they have the power to see the future! If anyone goes into any old thread here they will realize we gamers get it more wrong than Michael Patcher.

Topher

Gold Member
What happens though when you are playing the inferior version on local hardware no matter how much you spend on your rig? There will come a time when the instances of games running in the cloud using massive realtime simulations for their worlds are not feasible to do locally, you could say that Flight Simulator is already partly there. I doubt it will take 30 years.

I doubt that will ever happen. Rendering locally will always be superior to rendering from a distance, compressing the image, and then sending it to your TV. Simulations in the cloud doesn't change that and games running locally can still use cloud resources.

Monokrom

It's a trend I don't like but I guess it's inevitable. Just look at the music industry, how many except a small niche group buys cd or vinyl records?

I can bet my hat that my LG B7 OLED is too old for this anyhow.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/06/10/whats-next-for-gaming-highlights/

At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want.

Ahead of the first-ever Xbox and Bethesda Showcase on Sunday, when we will unveil our best and biggest games lineup of ever, Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella discussed the importance of gaming to Microsoft and in the world. We also shared new updates on how Xbox Game Pass is changing the way we discover, connect, and play and how Xbox and all games from its 23 studios are coming to more screens.

“We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”

“Gaming is fundamentally aligned with our mission as a company,” said Nadella. “When you talk about Xbox’s mission to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet, which I absolutely love, that is precisely aligned with Microsoft’s mission, which is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.”

“As a company, Microsoft is all-in on gaming. Gaming is the most dynamic category in the entertainment industry. Three billion consumers look to gaming for entertainment, community, creation, as well as a real sense of achievement, and our ambition is to empower each of them, wherever they play.”

“We believe that Microsoft can play a leading role in democratizing gaming and defining the future of interactive entertainment. There are really three key areas where we believe we have an incredible competitive advantage: First, our leadership in cloud computing. Second, the resources we have to build our subscription service, Xbox Game Pass. And third, our overall focus on empowering creators.”

Expanding on our quest to reach billions of players with Xbox, today we provided new updates on the success of Xbox Game Pass and what’s next for Xbox:

Xbox Game Pass is Changing the Way We Discover, Connect, and Play

• Xbox Game Pass members play 30% more genres and play 40% more games. And more than 90% of members said they played a game that they would not have tried without Game Pass.
  • On average across the Game Pass library, partners see engagement go up by more than 8x when they enter Game Pass.
  • Whether it’s purchasing games inside or outside of what’s available in the library, or purchasing additional content for the games they like, members spend 50% more than non-members.
  • Xbox Game Pass has become a true discovery engine, a platform for connection and community, and is driving game sales. New insights we’re sharing today include:
    • Since we started our partnership with EA Play in Game Pass Ultimate, our players have been engaging with EA’s subscription service in a significant way. Compared to before the integration, EA Play has seen record usage on Microsoft platforms, driving hours played on these platforms up by more than 200%. As a result, EA’s incredible portfolio of games has reached and gained millions of new fans on the Xbox platform.
    • The new Square Enix game Outriders is in Game Pass and was also the #1 selling digital game on Xbox during its launch week and a top 10 selling digital game on Xbox in the month of April. Game Pass helped introduce millions of players to the game.
    • During launch week, MLB: The Show 21 was the biggest sports game of the past year on Xbox and the second biggest sports game of all time on Xbox. Game Pass added millions of new fans and grew Major League Baseball’s player base significantly. MLB: The Show 21 was also the #1 selling paid game on Xbox for the month of April.
Xbox and Xbox Game Pass are Coming to More Screens

• Xbox is working with global TV manufacturers to embed the Xbox experience directly into internet-connected televisions with no extra hardware required except a controller.
  • Xbox is exploring new subscription offerings for Xbox Game Pass so more players around the world can experience the most immersive and fun games across devices, geographies, and financial realities.
  • Xbox is working with telecommunications providers on new purchasing models like Xbox All Access, which allows consumers to buy both a console and Game Pass for a low monthly price, rather than spending money up front.
  • Xbox is building its own streaming devices for cloud gaming to reach gamers on any TV or monitor without the need for a console at all.
  • Cloud gaming through Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will launch in Australia, Brazil, Mexico, and Japan later this year.
  • In the next few weeks, cloud gaming on the browser will open to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With Edge, Chrome, and Safari support, players will be a click away from gaming on almost any device.
  • We’re in the final stages of updating our Microsoft datacenters around the world with our latest generation of hardware, the Xbox Series X. This means gamers will see faster load times, improved frame rates, and experience Xbox Series X|S optimized games.
  • Later this year, we’ll add cloud gaming directly into the Xbox app on PC and integrate it into our console experience to light up scenarios like try before you download.
An Incredible Pipeline of Games

• With more than 23 studios worldwide creating games for Xbox, our goal is to release at least one new, first party game into Game Pass every quarter. Role playing games, shooters, strategy titles, adventure games, and more are all being built by our first party teams to ensure that there is a steady stream of compelling exclusive content to explore.
  • Our independent developer program ID@Xbox has earned developers over $2B dollars since the program’s inception, with over 2000 titles launched and many more on the way. This model is now being used for ID@Azure, allowing independent devs to build cloud-based experiences. These programs bring new voices from diverse backgrounds into the world of game development.
As Phil Spencer noted when he opened the day, the team knows that achieving its mission is not going to be easy, and it has a long way to go. But he believes that only Microsoft can bring to bear the global scale, the vast wellsprings of technical innovation, the financial resources and the deep, decades-long legacy in video games required to truly bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone.

To learn more about the next, incredible wave of games you’ll be enjoying soon, please join us on Sunday, June 13 at 10AM PT for the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase.

It's nice to see them confirm the Outriders and MLB The Show digital sales; a lot of people (in general) were speculating those were only for specifically (magically) curated Xbox sales charts because hey, GamePass totally ruined Gears 5 sales but we have to keep using that one iffy example as a means of saying GamePass kills all game sales even with multiple examples proving the opposite, including several from devs & publisher's own mouths 😆

Add that in with the recent figures for RE8 in the UK that include digital sales (57% PS, 31% Xbox, about in line with the install base difference) and it's pretty clear that the Xbox ecosystem definitely favors buying digital moreso on average than those on PlayStation or especially Nintendo. It only makes sense given Microsoft's push for digital the past few years.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate that Microsoft are getting all of this GamePass talk out of the way ahead of the E3 show? I was worried they'd take too much time to focus on GamePass instead of, well, the actual games, so if they're getting these GamePass-related announcements out of the way on a Thursday, it should hopefully be indicative that their stuff at Summer Game Fest and E3 will be specifically on the games themselves.

MOTM

Banned
I'm not telling you to doubt anything

Just pointing out there are no numbers - so "no. one selling" doesn't mean as much.

It's really pretty simple, no need to get sensitive about it 😁.
Not getting sensitive you’re the one insisting on this lol. Maybe send him an email and ask for those numbers you’re looking for.

Zeroing

Banned
I don't like it either. In a perfect world there would be no moneyhatting at all. But here we are.
We are here because we gamers don’t join as 1 group! We always have this endless battle of one group defending whatever 1 company do and vice versa!

gaming companies are “let me see how much crap can we can get away with”

And here we are in a non perfect world because we gamers are too busy doing console wars

how will you feel if you can play god of war 2 in the toilet, while you do your business?
I'm a hardcore gamer, I am one in a few tens of millions, and that wouldn"t do much for me. Now billions of people don't care about the games WE play, it's not a matter of distribution or device of choice, or ease of access. They don't care about the content. They don't care about the interface, the controller, the games themselves.

That's why the most popular games are phone games. And the most popular core console games are sports and first person shooters, because they're easy to jump into. Nintendo games are easy for kids, but even still, Nintendo isn't enough to bring more than a hundred million kids into the fold.

In the future you could have cloud gaming everywhere, play with no need of console, play on the go, whenever, it doesn't matter, those billion users don't exist and won't. Game design would need to change drastically, starting with the interface, get rid of the traditional controller, make everything intuitive or even "matrix-like". And even then it wouldn't reach a billion easily.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It's nice to see them confirm the Outriders and MLB The Show digital sales; a lot of people (in general) were speculating those were only for specifically (magically) curated Xbox sales charts because hey, GamePass totally ruined Gears 5 sales but we have to keep using that one iffy example as a means of saying GamePass kills all game sales even with multiple examples proving the opposite, including several from devs & publisher's own mouths 😆

Add that in with the recent figures for RE8 in the UK that include digital sales (57% PS, 31% Xbox, about in line with the install base difference) and it's pretty clear that the Xbox ecosystem definitely favors buying digital moreso on average than those on PlayStation or especially Nintendo. It only makes sense given Microsoft's push for digital the past few years.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate that Microsoft are getting all of this GamePass talk out of the way ahead of the E3 show? I was worried they'd take too much time to focus on GamePass instead of, well, the actual games, so if they're getting these GamePass-related announcements out of the way on a Thursday, it should hopefully be indicative that their stuff at Summer Game Fest and E3 will be specifically on the games themselves.
All the 'Xbox users dont buy games anymore because of Gamepass' shitposting was stupid from the start. There are 23mil Gamepass subs including PC subs, so we are probably talking about 1in 4, or 1 in 5 Xbox users that actually have Gamepass to begin with.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Its more about making your platform interesting. Sony went aggressive with that. So Microsoft is doing the same, but with large scale. I still cant play Spiderman on pc, let alone on xbox. I am not mad. Its just business.
But Sony owns the IP, from a era where EA barely done anything with it. If anything that made us have a good spider man game!

So if Nintendo brought Ubisoft? Everyone will be meh it’s just business? Or Amazon buys EA and make tied to their ecosystem?

anyway I give up :)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I doubt that will ever happen. Rendering locally will always be superior to rendering from a distance, compressing the image, and then sending it to your TV. Simulations in the cloud doesn't change that and games running locally can still use cloud resources.
I dunno, seems more than plausible to me that cloud rendering/gaming will def. be a big part if not THE direction that games will be going, having access to giant ass server/gpu farms that can render everything will probably be cheaper for the average consumer than trying to render locally. We'll see, I'm a pretty die-hard PC gamer all together, still having owned all the consoles, but I believe that streaming is gonna be the inevitable future we'll see.

I can't imagine the super nava-computer we'd need to render The Matrix in 20 years time. The power draw alone.

Well that isn't too surprising, the Series X has a purpose for datacenters as well, only makes sense the Series S can serve its own role in that environment, particularly in Azure server blades.

Also should be a good bet that the stuff mentioned in this blog, for the most part, won't eat up into their E3 presentation. There'll still be a couple mentions but more as brief summaries and probably a mention to a video covering this news they'll likely put out in a few days (I don't see why not).

Streaming lol, they are clueless, they need to focus on console, lets hope ms don't abandon the xbox, when the streaming shit fails.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Streaming lol, they are clueless, they need to focus on console, lets hope ms don't abandon the xbox, when the streaming shit fails.

What do you mean they need to focus on console? Why?

They're focus is Game Pass. They want people to be able to play their games from any console.

Shmunter

We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”
e832aba852d11d90de5b0ef59fff1f06.jpg
Oh brother, it’s like listening to know nothing virtue signalling Sjw waiting for the seal claps

Hezekiah

Banned
Not getting sensitive you’re the one insisting on this lol. Maybe send him an email and ask for those numbers you’re looking for.
You're the one getting excited about best-sellers 🤭.

P.S they're shit otherwise we'd have them given to us regularly.

Top Bottom