• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is "All In" on Gaming according to CEO Satya Nadella

Chukhopops

Their last first party game was Gear 5 in 2019, what were they doing since before then? Phil stated himself they were ramping up for next gen and when it finally came it was a wet fart. Purchasing Zenimax benefits both because Bethesda was bound to go under, however the only reason they purchased them was because they had no quality titles in the pipeline, this is a band-aid to fix an internal problem, and honestly with Bethesda's latest track record, its doesnt look good either.
Thanks to you I learned that Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Ori, Wasteland 3, Age of empires 3 Definitive edition, etc are not first party games because reality doesn’t matter anymore.

I cannot believe you can make those kinds of factually wrong claims without any repercussion.

Your second point is so outlandish that I think you know what you’re doing and just trolling for reactions.

Stuart360

lol, actually it's been stated in another article they're working on another console, so no.
I feel there will be one more generation after current. Possibly 2 more, but 2 will be the absolute limit, before one or both of Microsoft and Sony go full streaming.
Its the future, whether we want it or not, its just how long away that future is.

CeeJay

Sorry unlike other people in this thread I don't praise mediocrity, if my kids gets a D I'm not going to be proud of them
It's all about perspective really. I think the two Series consoles are really nice with some amazing features that put the competition firmly in the mediocre category. Smart Delivery, BC, cross-play/cross-buy, Gamepass, Xcloud, Play Anywhere, Quick Resume to name a few. These are all amazing features that are baked into the consoles to be used for the entire generation. The games can come in time but the hardware is fixed for the duration. You mentioned that Microsoft have released nothing since 2019 when they have released plenty including the single most impressive title with one of the biggest leaps forward in technology that i've ever seen (Flight Sim). They also have more than a likely chance to outpace Sony on game releases for the rest of the generation and beyond.

Fair enough if you don't like them but don't come in shitting the thread up constantly with your concern.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Remember Sony fans have mega rigs already at the start of this generation so they should be fine, they can also play their own exclusives on there if they want
Don't say that. That is a taboo here. You will be put down on the cross, if you tell them, they can play their exclusive on their monstrous rig.

Skifi28

“Play a leading role in democratizing gaming”

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

I hope they succeed and go further.
I'm not even sure what that means.

If they buy take2, Activision, ea and ubisoft. What would Sony have? Sony is only popular because of 3rd party games.

Their most popular IP spiderman sold 23m on 116m console, while Mario kart 8 (a racing game) sold 35m on 76m console.

Sony doesn't really have a leg with those guys.
Those ratios are similar actually. Also they aren't buying any of those companies.

MOTM

Banned
are you sure you guys are......I mean its been how many months since your new console has released and you haven't managed to release one first party game.....thats like me saying "I'm all in with your child education" and yet i havent showed up to work yet.....at all.......
Lame. Try harder.

WoodyStare

There are other titles I want a release date for like Scorn, Tunic, The Gunk, etc. I expect them in 2021. You might not give a fuck about those games but I do. Especially Scorn since its not cross gen.
I’m really curious about Scorn myself considering the gameplay reveal was late last year. I’d love to see the progress they’ve made since then if anything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was obvious MS was all in for gaming the second they started buying up studios over the years and making One X.

If they didnt care for gaming, they'd be scaling back studios and would never had bothered with mid gen refresh One X. They would had slowly rode down Xbox One and called it quits.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Building Xbox’s is now some people make a living, the more AAA games MS accumulates the more and bigger they’ll be.

CitizenZ

Banned
Well, they spent 8 billion in the last yr and have not seen any ROI, so yea, they better be all in. This is a really dumb thread.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not even sure what that means.
Moving gaming into a new era of hardware irrelevance, similar to PC. All that would be left is services that run on any device. Similar to how anyone can watch movies from any studio on any DVD player. Or how you can stream services from multiple digital subscriptions on any TV.

Ellery

Remember that "GAMING" means something else to other people.

We have heard enough words from all sides. It is time for actions and to deliver. The hype culture and memes are nice, but at the end of the day we need the meat on the table.

Mister Wolf

I’m really curious about Scorn myself considering the gameplay reveal was late last year. I’d love to see the progress they’ve made since then if anything.

The world they're crafting interests me more than any other game world I've seen of recent. The game doesn't even have a UI while playing. You don't see that very often.

Last edited:
We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”
e832aba852d11d90de5b0ef59fff1f06.jpg

Do you know how ironic it is to eye-roll at that while posting on a gaming forum…a community…

I feel there will be one more generation after current. Possibly 2 more, but 2 will be the absolute limit, before one or both of Microsoft and Sony go full streaming.
Its the future, whether we want it or not, its just how long away that future is.
Full streaming will never kill generations. Just like Tablets didn't kill laptops. You will always have some tens of millions that will buy a box. Then you have the emerging markets. Unless they find a way were a digital stream box or usb has every advantage over the traditional, there will be new ones.

Skifi28

Moving gaming into a new era of hardware irrelevance, similar to PC. All that would be left is services that run on any device. Similar to how anyone can watch movies from any studio on any DVD player. Or how you can stream services from multiple digital subscriptions on any TV.
Isn't buying an entire publisher to keep games specifically away from certain devices the opposite of what they're preaching?

Mr.ODST

It's like Samsung telling us they're all in on smartphones.

The biggest narrative is that MS has given up on its gaming sector (Xbox) obviously with Bethesda it shows they are investing loads and its great to see them address this so that people in the Xbox ecosystem can feel safe knowing they are not been given up on, they are settling that narrative.

Mister Wolf

Thanks to you I learned that Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Ori, Wasteland 3, Age of empires 3 Definitive edition, etc are not first party games because reality doesn’t matter anymore.

I cannot believe you can make those kinds of factually wrong claims without any repercussion.

Your second point is so outlandish that I think you know what you’re doing and just trolling for reactions.

Wasteland 3 was one of the best games I played last year. Still gotta play Gears Tactics.

Stuart360

Full streaming will never kill generations. Just like Tablets didn't kill laptops. You will always have some tens of millions that will buy a box. Then you have the emerging markets. Unless they find a way were a digital stream box or usb has every advantage over the traditional, there will be new ones.
Its all about what the casul masees want, not the hardcore. If the ease and simplicity of streaming clicks with the masses, then it doesnt matter what the hardcore want.
This gen is 100% going to be the last gen with a disk drice, and that took a gen or two longer than experts said, but its still going to happen. It will be the same with streaming, its inevitable, just how long away it is.

Topher

Gold Member

Agree. Streaming isn't meant to take over gaming. It is meant to make gaming more accessible. But let's not pretend that streaming will ever be as good a gaming experience as playing on local hardware. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if gaming on local hardware remains the preferred way of playing games for many years to come.

Its all about what the casul masees want, not the hardcore. If the ease and simplicity of streaming clicks with the masses, then it doesnt matter what the hardcore want.
This gen is 100% going to be the last gen with a disk drice, and that took a gen or two longer than experts said, but its still going to happen. It will be the same with streaming, its inevitable, just how long away it is.

You do understand that streaming and local gaming can and will coexist, right?

Last edited:

Reindeer

Some would have you think in 3 days Satya is gonna pull an Xbox 180 and pull the plug after the make-or-break E3
So you're telling me Satya is reacting to a small minority spreading FUD on Twitter? Well that's not a good look for a CEO, lol.

CeeJay

Isn't buying an entire publisher to keep games specifically away from certain devices the opposite of what they're preaching?
In a way the games will be available on a wider range of devices since the acquisition with the number of different entry points into the Xbox eco-system...

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I dont get why Bill Gates wanted to go in video games so badly. Prestige project or just for fun? I know MS has unlimited money, but why not do something useful with it instead. Like something against climate change or whatever.

elliot5

So you're telling me Satya is reacting to a small minority spreading FUD on Twitter? Well that's not a good look for a CEO, lol.
No, he's been clear on being "All In" before, this is just another marketing push leading up to E3. It's not any sort of direct FUD narrative course correction. It's not news. It's just getting in the news cycle again during a week of hype, while illustrating some stuff like business roadmaps. Remember, E3 is for investors in the end.

Skifi28

In a way the games will be available on a wider range of devices since the acquisition with the number of different entry points into the Xbox eco-system...
So more of an xbox democracy than a gaming one. Who would have thought that bringing political analogies to gaming would be as deceptive as actual politics.

Top Bottom