• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft in advanced talks to buy Nuance for about $16 billion, announcement could come Monday

"Microsoft is in advanced talks to acquire speech-recognition company Nuance Communications, a person familiar with the discussions told CNBC on Sunday. A transaction could be signed as early as Sunday and announced as soon as Monday, the person said.

The plans illustrate Microsoft's recent efforts to expand through deals. Microsoft considered buying the U.S. operations of video-sharing app TikTok last year, and last month it completed the $7.5 billion acquisition of video game maker Zenimax."

Vasto

i love you lion GIF by Music Choice

quest

Not Banned from OT
Good news thier shit support couldn't get any worse. I think it is to much it is no better than any other crappy voice software out there. This is for business, medical and government.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

"Microsoft is in advanced talks to acquire speech-recognition company Nuance Communications, a person familiar with the discussions told CNBC on Sunday. A transaction could be signed as early as Sunday and announced as soon as Monday, the person said.

The plans illustrate Microsoft's recent efforts to expand through deals. Microsoft considered buying the U.S. operations of video-sharing app TikTok last year, and last month it completed the $7.5 billion acquisition of video game maker Zenimax."

Great!

I also heard that they purchased a new batch of toilet paper for $10,000. I was about to make a new thread about it in the gaming forums, but I'll just add to yours to keep this important discussion focused. 😂

Last edited:
I heard they just restocked their green ink cartridges.

16B on this while simultaneously talking with Discord (10B). They just closed with Bethesda (7.5B). They promised more gaming acquisition too. 👀
After spending all that money guess what?

they only lost about 1.22% of their market valuation :messenger_tears_of_joy: last year they had a revenue of $153b so ~23b doesn’t really seem much.

for comparison sake if it were Sony spending that kind of money they’d have lost 18% of their valuation. Last year their revenue was only 81b.

Bryank75

Banned
They are a trillion dollar company. A few billion here and there is nothing to them.

latest records show they are behind only Apple. MS is currently more valuable than Google, Amazon, or Facebook.
Valuation and cash on hand are different.

Microsoft has 130 billion cash.

16 billion or whatever it ends up being is still quite a bit for them.

People don't seem to understand that a company only gets money from a stock once, the first time it is sold. Then the stock is sold among people usually outside the company, so the gains are earned by the person selling on the stock.... microsoft gets none of that.

Last edited:

intbal

latest records show they are behind only Apple. MS is currently more valuable than Google, Amazon, or Facebook.
Now would be a good time for everyone to watch/rewatch Pirates of Silicon Valley.
But not that lousy DVD cut. They butchered the audio in that for music licensing reasons. Try to find someone who taped the tv broadcast with their VCR in 1999 :).

MadPanda

Banned
Let me see if I understand this!
MS has a ton of money from their 90s era Monopoly and It is trying to stay relevant by buying companies. Is that it?

Not surprised! I’ll be surprised when they stop ruining everything they buy... it’s like a curse

They don't have tons of money from the 90s monopoly, most of their money comes from the last decade and Azure business in addition to their usual strengths in Windows and Office.

Zeroing

Banned
They don't have tons of money from the 90s monopoly, most of their money comes from the last decade and Azure business in addition to their usual strengths in Windows and Office.
😂 spoken like a true PR

joking!!!

why you think everyone uses Windows? How do you think MS got the money to build azure??

Zeroing

Banned
Why do some of you celebrate when MS spends money? I mean, it is great they have it to spend but I don't see Nuance bringing much to gaming.
Capitalism is awesome!! 🥳

Now being serious! MS is so rich that .. we have “pay for online” and micro transactions on their own games amongst other things and people still celebrate that company spends money... mind blowing, does not make sense!

Off topic, does anyone remember that MS AI that turned into a nazi? Oh man scary times... are coming.

"AI Software company" - buys Bethesda
Nice, can't wait to see the military applications of Skyrim AI...
AI is not just limited to military. AI can help in lot of other applications.

I don't know if it can help with AI based machine learning as well but if it then great

AI is very lucrative career for students as well now.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
MS has a ton of money from their 90s era Monopoly and It is trying to stay relevant by buying companies. Is that it?
Do you own a PC? I'm guessing you do. Do you play games on it? If so there's a likely chance your OS is Windows. Until a Linux OS maker or Apple step up when it comes to workstations and PC gaming, Microsoft will never not be relevant. You should be happy their Windows Phone initiative never took off because then that would have been checkmate.

Why do some of you celebrate when MS spends money? I mean, it is great they have it to spend but I don't see Nuance bringing much to gaming.
IDK this one is really weird. I'm a Playstation guy, not a Sony guy. I don't LOVE the whole company and celebrate everything they do. Now, I could definitely see this being something you care about if you're invested in Microsoft tho.

But, this could actually be something that might in some way benefit their gaming division someday... but this is not a video game related purchase.

Last edited:

mhirano

AI is not just limited to military. AI can help in lot of other applications.

I don't know if it can help with AI based machine learning as well but if it then great

AI is very lucrative career for students as well now.
I was just mocking Bethesda's notoriously bar AI.

Zeroing

Banned
Trying to stay relevant?. I know you hate Microsoft, and they live in your mind 'Rent Free', but thats one funny take. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Oh nintendo pays me to talk crap about MS. Talk to the manager!
🙃

MS are not relevant on tech other than some people who like Xbox! It’s the same as saying Sony is relevant because of their 80s Walkman... so yeah Sony and MS are old companies who other than gaming don’t impact the “world” that much anymore!

did I hurt your feelings?

Zeroing

Banned
Do you own a PC? I'm guessing you do. Do you play games on it? If so there's a likely chance your OS is Windows. Until a Linux OS maker or Apple step up when it comes to workstations and PC gaming, Microsoft will never not be relevant. You should be happy their Windows Phone initiative never took off because then that would have been checkmate.
😂 people do love MS!
Again we use Windows because they blocked any other OS in the 90s and damaged Linux os reputation preventing from getting any good!

just go look at some articles about it! This is ridiculous! People defending big companies...

Not surprised! I’ll be surprised when they stop ruining everything they buy... it’s like a curse

I love these delusions. Fine you don't like MS but at least inform yourself and take a stance based on facts or events if you're going to post. I cannot be bothered educating you but you're off base at best.

Shitpost. Not surprised!

Keihart

😂 people do love MS!
Again we use Windows because they blocked any other OS in the 90s and damaged Linux os reputation preventing from getting any good!

just go look at some articles about it! This is ridiculous! People defending big companies...
Don't you do it too? like every day

Last edited:
Top Bottom