• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has tripped over every marketing event this year

Yoboman

I’d say the opposite actually.

I literally know NOTHING about the PS5 and we’re a month or two from it being on our shelves.

We only found out what it looked like just two month ago while the X had its reveal away back in 2019 iirc. How much does the PS5 even cost? Who knows.

there’s a difference with being disappointed than them stumbling.
Whats the difference?

The most impressive thing about Sony is their online army’s ability to denigrate everything Microsoft does and ridiculously overhype Sony. It really is brilliant (if annoying af to me), and such a boost to them.

I realised this at that ridiculous E3 when you had that massive overreaction, with reaction videos of people running around the room waving their arms at news of a kickstarter for fucking Shenmue and claiming the second coming lol.

Nothing I’ve seen in terms of reactions this cycle has been any different to that nonsense. Neither side has done a good job, or is having a great launch (neither side having any games is a real mess, but MS have the most powerful console and at least mastered BC so the potential to gather dust is lower), but the campaign online remains the same.

I don’t get it, but have to grudgingly admire the loyalty.

Ten_Fold

If the Xbox has like a 6 month or year console exclusive release before it hits PC and PC gamepass I would be interested in their system, because right now I have no reason to buy the xbox Series S or X since I have a decent PC.

Three

I think their problem isn't the marketing. They are actually pretty good at that. It's the direction that they're going in that makes a lot of people unhappy.

Klayzer

For me it's the whole 'hey look we're hip and cool! meme here meme there! memes everywhere! playful Twitter, let's pretend we're all teenagers!" They cannot seem to take themselves seriously.

It's the small stuff like how Xbox Twitter seems to use emojis far too often to the point it's like "wait this is a big corporation right?" Scrolled through their Twitter and it was every 2 or 3 tweets. For Playstation I literally had to scroll for about 30 seconds before I found any emojis at all.

Also the stuff like Aaron Greenscreen with that Xbox Series X fridge thing. It's hit fever pitch recently, I just find it to be cringe.

Contrast that to Playstation where the big wigs practically never break character, or if they do it's in one of those 'oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit' moments such as:

When was the last time we had a good commercial from Xbox since the 360 era?

Last one I remember is:

and that's back in like 2005? And Microsoft even chose not to have it on TV - it would've been glorious. Simple but great.

OMG! This so much. Their pr tweets (specifically Greenberg) reads like a vintage Gamefaq post. Complete with smiley and crying emots for extra doucheyness.

AlexxKidd

The most impressive thing about Sony is their online army’s ability to denigrate everything Microsoft does and ridiculously overhype Sony. It really is brilliant (if annoying af to me), and such a boost to them.

I realised this at that ridiculous E3 when you had that massive overreaction, with reaction videos of people running around the room waving their arms at news of a kickstarter for fucking Shenmue and claiming the second coming lol.

Nothing I’ve seen in terms of reactions this cycle has been any different to that nonsense. Neither side has done a good job, or is having a great launch (neither side having any games is a real mess, but MS have the most powerful console and at least mastered BC so the potential to gather dust is lower), but the campaign online remains the same.

I'd say the most impressive thing about Microsoft is their online apologists, who should be constantly wondering how the fuck they're launching this console without Halo Infinite which has had five years of development and reportedly cost an unprecedented $500 million, are instead making dumbass statements like "neither side having any games is a real mess." Just because Microsoft brought out their big Halo launch title looking like an early current gen meme to the point that they had to delay that shit show doesn't mean you get to throw out "neither has games" to try act like Sony's in that same boat.

The last time Xbox knew how you generate hype for a console launch was during the 360 days with the OG team and Peeetah Moore.

They were so fucking good the brand survived a 60% failure rate on the console.

Yeah they were really good when Peter Moore and that team were there at the time, but now it’s like a bunch of salesmen.

I feel Sony have the same issue in a way, the team that did the marketing for pre release PS4 were amazing, but this time around due to covid I assume (not being able to physically get people and things working effectively) and an Avengers Endgame level of hype for ps5, they kinda didn’t bother as they know it’ll sell regardless.

They would have been better off by creating bi-weekly updates on the console versus going the Sony route and spilling bits of info like they tried to do.

By them only doing 2 “game showcases” in like the span of months it puts too much pressure on each showcase which resulted in them failing because those showcase could not live up to the hype.

Sony’s one showcase was great because we got to see what the console looked like for the first time and trailers for some of the games that we want to play like horizon, spiderman, etc. plus even accessories for the console.

At this point, MS needs to scrap the fancy trailers and just start showing games actually running on the hardware.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They would have been better off by creating bi-weekly updates on the console versus going the Sony route and spilling bits of info like they tried to do.

By them only doing 2 “game showcases” in like the span of months it puts too much pressure on each showcase which resulted in them failing because those showcase could not live up to the hype.

Sony’s one showcase was great because we got to see what the console looked like for the first time and trailers for some of the games that we want to play like horizon, spiderman, etc. plus even accessories for the console.

At this point, MS needs to scrap the fancy trailers and just start showing games actually running on the hardware.

The only reason there was pressure on the showcase was because the games looked bad or there was no content. If Halo Infinite looked like people expected, it would have all worked out fine.

The real problem from my POV is that MS obviously thought both presentations were great, showing there is a real disconnect between MS and their audience.

The problem is not their marketing department - it's the only thing keeping that brand afloat in my opinion. The problem is all the other departments can't provide enough ammo to feed the PR machine. The marketing department is thus shooting blanks for the lack of bullets.

Admirable job.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

dorkimoe

They should do the Sony approach and just not do anything, or release ads that dont even talk about the console. Its not really Microsofts fault the price leaked in the middle of the night. Sonys has probably leaked too, we just dont believe it yet.

You are projecting way too much. i don't even own a PS4. And overhyping Sony? at least give me an example of overhype. Making things up and not backing up anything you say, did not work for Xbox PR, and it wouldn't work for you either.

There is nothing to admire about cheering for Sony; they are simply the winning team, and there is no need for loyalty when everything is fine. Just as it is easy to be a Nintendo fan with the Switch, but MUCH harder to be a Nintendo fan in the dark WiiU days.

supernova8

Banned
They should do the Sony approach and just not do anything, or release ads that dont even talk about the console. Its not really Microsofts fault the price leaked in the middle of the night. Sonys has probably leaked too, we just dont believe it yet.

You know, you might be on to something:

Xbox:

Playstation:

Really this is how I see it.

Feels like we hear some small insignificant piece of news from Xbox every other moment.
Playstation just bides their time. They come out when they need to but they come out big relative to Xbox.

Remember how they refused to even acknowledge the existence of PS5 for a while.

I would disagree. This thread is a good example. Xbox has been dominating the next gen conversation, both good and bad, because they have been putting out a steady stream of info. There is much less mystery around the system. Most of the PS5 talk on here isn't hype related, it's defense.

Last edited:

elenapska

I disagree

1. Xbox Series X presentation was great

2. Microsoft allowing media to analyze XSX was also great

3. The leak was bad, but their reaction was great. Xbox was a trending topic all-day

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would disagree. This thread is a good example. Xbox has been dominating the next gen conversation, both good and bad, because they have been putting out a steady stream of info. There is much less mystery around the system. Most of the PS5 talk on here isn't hype related, it's defense.

A lot more people talked about Halo Infinite than Spiderman MM. That's not a good thing when the conversation is negative.

mckmas8808

Banned
And for the love of everything, shut Phil up. He will outright lie about events that are a month, or weeks away, like we’ll never find out or notice that none of this is true.

When someone’s whispering in your ear how amazing something is going to be for months, and it’s not amazing at all, that just makes the marketing stumbles that much worse.

Perfectly said.

skneogaf

I thought the original design showing was good where digital foundry guys went to play around with the series x was good but everything else was a 1/10 showing.

I think everything should be pre recorded and uploaded to YouTube with a specific time and date where it becomes available so therefore we see it in 4k

supernova8

Banned
1. Xbox Series X presentation was great

Wait in the left corner of the screen, that's a massive group of Xbox employees, no? They all in unison start shouting and cheering long before the rest of the audience did.

In fact it didn't even sound like anyone was cheering other than them.

If you want to see a genuine, sincere crowd cheer:

Contrasted to:

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah they were really good when Peter Moore and that team were there at the time, but now it’s like a bunch of salesmen.

I feel Sony have the same issue in a way, the team that did the marketing for pre release PS4 were amazing, but this time around due to covid I assume (not being able to physically get people and things working effectively) and an Avengers Endgame level of hype for ps5, they kinda didn’t bother as they know it’ll sell regardless.

Yes, ps5 team feel sedated compared to when the ps4 launched.

They're going at it very apple like... Drop big event, generate buzz, hibernate, rinse and repeat. It's a bit boring but at least they aren't misfiring so far.

elenapska

Wait in the left corner of the screen, that's a massive group of Xbox employees, no? They all in unison start shouting and cheering long before the rest of the audience did.

Contrasted to:

PS4 and XBO? we are talking about XSX. The console was well-received

Contrasted to:

You can see why Sony preferred E3 become a show for the fans, allowing many of them in. And why MS preferred it stay more controlled, filling the room with their employees.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
somehow every launch they manage to fuck up, be confusing, not have a consistent message all the way through etc. Its actually really astonishing honestly.

supernova8

Banned
You can see why Sony preferred E3 become a show for the fans, allowing many of them in. And why MS preferred it stay more controlled, filling the room with their employees.

It's not like Microsoft is the only company that has their employees in the room for moral support, but it's annoying how they group them all at the front and get them all to wear matching t-shirts. It's like a cheerleading troupe or something and it just looks so fake and forced.

When was the last time we had a good commercial from Xbox since the 360 era?

Last one I remember is:

and that's back in like 2005? And Microsoft even chose not to have it on TV - it would've been glorious. Simple but great.

They are too busy doing corporate blackwashing, anything that shows people fake shooting at one another in a commercial right now would probably not pass, especially if it shows so many white people at one time on the screen (I think this is because it would burn OLED monitors, but don't quote me on this).

Also, they have nothing of value to offer for at least 3 years now, so instead of earing about games we get "gamepass, gamepass, gamepass", I miss the "Halo, Gears, Forza" days, at the very least it was still about games.

XSX is well received as a piece of hardware, I even thing the series s, and the one X were well received (the press even liked the original xbox one--it had so many fluff pieces it was embarrassing). Anyway, I think that the XSX should be well received, it deserves it, but the fans make it unbearable, they act as if that ~20% performance advantage was the end of the world, it made one console amazingly powerful and the other just completely inept at running even the simplest games... it kind of ruins the launch, people put the bar too high.

MiguelItUp

With all of the spotlights revolving around Game Pass I'd have to say I disagree. Sure, there wasn't a whole lot being said about the S/X for quite some time. But anytime nothing was said there, Game Pass was being talked about, so their approach was still being discussed. Not to mention I think it's clear that they're approaching things differently than Sony, it's interesting.

Though the whole system information leak did them a lot more good than harm. So it definitely put them in a better spot they were in previously.

It'll be an interesting generation for sure.

Adam_802

Lol this thread is so hyperbolic smh.

At least its correctly tagged as "clickbait" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: omg OP's post history lmao idiot

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
The only thing MS does well is PR, can't you at least give them this?

Their fans LOVE them, no matter what.

That doesn't mean their PR is good. I can also say that that reflects their fans will eat a turd with the Xbox logo.

Just saying that this is not a fair assessment of good PR. Craig was not good PR. Devs reception of the Series S was not good PR.

Wunray

Microsoft started out pretty good but May and onwards has kinda been a downward spiral and it's a shame cause I want to see them challenge Sony.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
If the Xbox has like a 6 month or year console exclusive release before it hits PC and PC gamepass I would be interested in their system, because right now I have no reason to buy the xbox Series S or X since I have a decent PC.
pretty much this, because they go right to pc theres no reason to own an xbox thus they have no exclusives

Shrap

Well, to be fair, we won't really see what Phil can do until 2040 - that's when Microsoft will finally let him make some calls. Until then nothing can be done, sadly.

supernova8

Banned
They are too busy doing corporate blackwashing, anything that shows people fake shooting at one another in a commercial right now would probably not pass, especially if it shows so many white people at one time on the screen (I think this is because it would burn OLED monitors, but don't quote me on this).

Also, they have nothing of value to offer for at least 3 years now, so instead of hearing about games we get "gamepass, gamepass, gamepass", I miss the "Halo, Gears, Forza" days, at the very least it was still about games.

With regard to IP, they just gave up on stuff too easily. For example:

Think of all the games they had as exclusives on Xbox 360:

- Lost Planet
- Dead Rising
- Fable 2
- N3 Ninety Nine Nights
- Project Gotham Racing series
- Perfect Dark
- Alan Wake
- Dead or Alive
- Tenchu Z (made by fucking FromSoftware!)
- Chromehounds
- Ninja Gaiden

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head but there are loads more games. Xbox 360 had so many good games, to the point I could say I don't regret going Xbox for the majority of that generation despite PS3 also putting out a lot of great first party stuff. I fucking adooooooooooooooooooooooooooooored Xbox 360.

Of course them making games is always just a tool they use to get you to buy into their platform and get you to spend on the platform, but it's usually implied rather than explicitly mentioned. This time around their constant mention of Game Pass just makes it feel like you're being sold. They make it too obvious that the subscription to Game Pass is more important to them than actually putting out high-polish, varied titles.

"We have over 100 titles - get Game Pass!"
"Halo Infinite.... coming to Game Pass... get Game Pass!"
"All of these games are .... coming to.. you guessed it.. Game Pass! Get Game Pass!"

They may as well just change their branding to 'Microsoft Game Pass'.

NullZ3r0

Banned
MS marketing has been fine. It's just user expectations that get out of whack. MS does better when they just drop news out of nowhere or when news leaks. There's no build-up and unrealistic hype leading up to it and no one is disappointed.

Klayzer

Microsoft has a great pr team if you just look at the results.

They've convinced a whole section of gamers to believe exclusives are anti-consumer (except their own), 3rd party deals are anti-consumer (except their deals), tieing all consoles together won't affect development of next-gen games (they do), no pushback from the gaming media or its own customers for still having Live as a requirement for F2P (when none of the competition does) so on, so forth.

From my vantage point, Microsoft's PR team is godly.

Yoboman

MS marketing has been fine. It's just user expectations that get out of whack. MS does better when they just drop news out of nowhere or when news leaks. There's no build-up and unrealistic hype leading up to it and no one is disappointed.
Yeah its the fans fault that MS overpromises and underdelivers

Microsoft has a great pr team if you just look at the results.

They've convinced a whole section of gamers to believe exclusives are anti-consumer (except their own), 3rd party deals are anti-consumer (except their deals), tieing all consoles together won't affect development of next-gen games (they do), no pushback from the gaming media or its own customers for still having Live as a requirement for F2P (when none of the competition does) so on, so forth.

From my vantage point, Microsoft's PR team is godly.
That isn't caused by good PR; that is caused by a losing team that had been around so long, that anyone still left are by definition diehard fans.

Die hard fans exist in any platform. However, in any healthy console, the fanbase would be a mix of casual fans and diehard fans. You basically need multiple years of disappointment, before all the casual fans move on and the core "go down with the ship" fans remained.

Just look at the people who still use the PSVita; no casual fans there. If you use a Vita, you are doing everything you can to keep it running. Diehard fans will still be there even when the original manufacturer had since moved on.

TussalDimon_I

Neo Member
It's pretty hilarious that we knew about less powerful Xbox for more than a year, but never heard about all digital PS5 until the moment it was officially shown.

Top Bottom