• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Has Reportedly Made Changes To Xbox DRM To Allow Offline Play

RespawnX

Good. Now enable family sharing between consoles in the same network and family. People with 2 or more consoles are still fucked up. Thats not how to treat your loyal customers.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Are you telling me that if my internet goes down, then I can not access my downloaded 360 single-player games? And previously could not access my downloaded modern games?
Didn't realize, but that's awful.

AJUMP23

Shouldn't have to even be news.

CloudyUnacceptableEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

sachos

This is about installing Xbox One discs on the Series X while offline. Previously they required you to connect once to download some form of compatibility patch or something before playing the game. Now you can install Xbox One games from disc while offline. This also affects Smart Delivery "Series X" discs, those discs most of the time just include the Xbox One build on disc and you have to download the Series X update, before you could not run them without connecting to the internet, now you can at least run the Xbox One version while offline.

Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games dont require a "check in", you have to download the whole game from their servers, the disc only acts as a access key.

Its a step in the right direction, now they need to remove the online only console set up and remove the need to use it with a MS account and start releasing good disc builds of their first party games.

Last edited:
Wait. Which platforms can you not play offline with?

I remember Microsoft got skewered for this but doesn’t the PS4 and 5 function the same way? Maybe even Switch?

Iced Arcade

Good. Shouldn't have been a thing on any console.

But remember if you game share, this probably isn't going to work in your favor.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Are you telling me that if my internet goes down, then I can not access my downloaded 360 single-player games? And previously could not access my downloaded modern games?
Didn't realize, but that's awful.
You could always do that as long as your console is configured as Home console.
This is about installing Xbox One discs on the Series X while offline. Previously they required you to connect once to download some form of compatibility patch or something before playing the game. Now you can install Xbox One games from disc while offline. This also affects Smart Delivery "Series X" discs, those discs most of the time just include the Xbox One build on disc and you have to download the Series X update, before you could not run them without connecting to the internet, now you can at least run the Xbox One version while offline.

Xbox 360 and OG Xbox games dont require a "check in", you have to download the whole game from their servers, the disc only acts as a access key.

Its a step in the right direction, now they need to remove the online only console set up and remove the need to use it with a MS account and start releasing good disc builds of their first party games.
facts GIF

Beechos

I remember Microsoft got skewered for this but doesn’t the PS4 and 5 function the same way? Maybe even Switch?
That was my understanding too if you game share if youre offline and your system is set as the home console you can access everything butif youre not the home system and dont have internet then you are screwed.

sachos

No, PS4/5 and Switch allow you to fully set up offline plus use them without an account. The PS5 also allows you to install and play your PS4 games offline without ever conecting to their servers, this is what this new Xbox Update fixes. Before if you inistalled an Xbox One game while offline you could not access it, you needed to download some form of compatibility patch and since most Series X discs are just the Xbox One disc (due to Smart Delivery support) it affected those discs too while on PS5 you get the full next gen game preserved on disc.

M16

so much misinformation, its hilarious. this isnt about DRM
you could already play your games offline.
this is about first time installs from disc not having to download a compatibility patch before launching,therefore not needing online to play a disc based game right after installing it, because they figured most games dont even need this patch and run fine.

Last edited:

sachos

This guy (the one that broke the news) has great videos explaining what the issues were and what are the issues that still remain. Home Console settings has nothing to do with this new update, Home Console settings is for playing your digital games while offline.

This was the first video where he explained and tested all the issues with Xbox

And this is his new video where he tests this new update

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
People were having issues even then when Live went down. We don't need to necro the thread.
This is about first time install of Xbox One games on Xbox Series S|X, which you can now do offline. So many people are still trying to spread this nonsense, once you installed a game you can always play it offline. Previously installing OG Xbox/360/One game for the first time on Xbox Series S|X required you to be connected online, now Xbox One games don't require the online check. Seriously, there is a MVG video on this

If your game is already installed you can play them offline anyway.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yawn.

This guy (the one that broke the news) has great videos explaining what the issues were and what are the issues that still remain. Home Console settings has nothing to do with this new update, Home Console settings is for playing your digital games while offline.

This was the first video where he explained and tested all the issues with Xbox

And this is his new video where he tests this new update

SomeGit

This is great, I still don’t understand why people where so infuriated by others highlighting this issue. This only improves the platform.

Now if they could had a offline setup it would be golden.

Last edited:
This is about first time install of Xbox One games on Xbox Series S|X, which you can now do offline. So many people are still trying to spread this nonsense, once you installed a game you can always play it offline. Previously installing OG Xbox/360/One game for the first time on Xbox Series S|X required you to be connected online, now Xbox One games don't require the online check. Seriously, there is a MVG video on this

sure but requiring an internet connection to install a game is stupid/insulting too.

You shouldn’t need to connect to the internet to install a game to play offline. Period. I know you are a hardcore warrior for Xbox, but stop defending blatantly shitty design decisions.

Bernkastel

Cool. I've been playing my steam library offline for years. Nice that they are trying to catch up.
You have to be online to install anything from Steam anyway.
You shouldn’t need to connect to the internet to install a game to play offline. Period. I know you are a hardcore warrior for Xbox, but stop defending blatantly shitty design decisions.
Only for BC(OG/360/One) games. And now only OG Xbox/360 games.
And the nature of OG/360 BC means they can never be installed offline. Kinda funny of you to use console war blaming to shit up a thread against people who are talking about Xbox in a xbox thread.
I didn't even know you couldn't use an xbox offline, wtf that's crazy.
You can. What's the issue? There is even a offline mode.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Am I wrong? Using steam as a counter argument, which is also an online store. In the first place the argument itself was about physical games.
But you are, because you can backup your games and install them in Steam offline without ever needing to connect.

Why is it so hard for you to admit that this type of DRM is shit for physical games?

Bernkastel

But you are, because you can backup your games and install them in Steam offline without ever needing to connect.

Why is it so hard for you to admit that this type of DRM is shit for physical games?
Oh you can transfer them to an external drive. But you need to be already signed in to your account in the new Xbox if you are storing a digital game.
Screenshot_20220920-0123072.png

There is also network transfer
I get that there is DRM issue which can look bad when compared to other consoles. Like first time setup needs you to be online. But atleast look up stuffs you are trying to argue about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom