• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has dragged next-gen conversation into old games

RCU005

I've been following video games since the SNES, and I have never seen this much focus on old games when a new generation is released. Microsoft was the first to announce specs for their new console and everybody will agree that it is a beast of a console. They even used the "Most Powerful Console" slogan which it was fitting. Suddenly, though, Microsoft did a 180º and started focusing on Backwards compatibility.

I'm not saying it's bad to have BC (although, I personally, don't care for it at all). However, ever since the PS2, there has never been focus about BC at all when a new console launches. PS2 has BC, but it was just a checkbox marked, but everyone was excited about all new possibilities of the new system even if they weren't shown at the time.

The PS3 made a bigger splash when it came to BC because Sony decided to remove it after the console released, so it was an unusual (but necessary for them to reduce cost). Ever since, BC has been "demanded" by gamers, and Microsoft seems to have taken this way too far.

Nobody has complained that a new console is out and there are no games taking advantage of them at launch. This have been the norm for many decades. We normally have to wait one year or so to start looking at games that truly take advantage of the new consoles. This time, though, Microsoft decided to focus on BC, and now, all the narrative about next gen is about lead-times and performance about OLD games running in the NEW system.

Are people really excited to play their old games? Like, I know and I understand it's convenient to be able to play an old game when you feel like it, or that you are able to get rid of your old console in order to buy the new one and still be able to play your games, but putting the focus on BC is very odd to me.

I was expecting conversations about how we would get great games in the future because of the monster specs that Xbox Series X has, or how Sony would be able to make new games with the power of the PS5. Yet, we only see how people get excited about a 5 year old game running at 60fps!

I don't think there ever was more than once sentence in describing BC in older systems. I haven't revisited the reviews, but I could bet it's the case for the PS2, Wii, PS3, GC (for the lack of it), etc. It used to be a "cool, you can still play your old games.... anyway!..."

Why is it that everyone is so focused on it right now? You could say that there are not enough new games at launch, but I think it has been the case every time, not just now. Every console release only have few games the first few months.

Also, not just media, but people in general. You could see comments about PS4 saying things like " A new God of War would look amazing on a PS4", but now the conversation is: "Wow, XSX loads this old game, 5 seconds faster (or viceversa)".

I hate this!! What happened to the excitement of things to come! What happened to visualizing the future and getting surprised about games being better than anything we would have expected?

Sorry for the mild rant. It's just that it's so weird to me seeing everyone focusing on the past instead of the future for the first time.

DonJorginho

Banned
the biggest ps5 game is a remake from 2 gens ago and MS is making it about old games?
I do get that sentiment but there's a difference between a fully fledged top quality remake that looks like a true next gen title and touting the same old games with minor framerate boosts and loading time decreases as your main selling point for the console.

I say this as someone who's bought both consoles and will enjoy both consoles.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
BC is completely different now because unlike older previous gens, the jump in games isn't that drastic.

360/PS3 games still hold up generally well in the XBO/PS4 world compared to the jump from PS2/XB to 360/PS4. and even more so this coming gen.

giphy.gif

Forza Horizon is amazing though.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Eh, good for them. I find it an interesting and cool Xbox differentiator.

I like the idea of older games I loved, continuing to receive TLC and be playable through every generation. I bought a One X for modern 4K gaming, and I have plenty to do, but I’ve found myself equally sucked into replaying excellent memories, and experiencing all new ones with games I missed.

We need more new, amazing games for this gen, and Series X especially feels like another One X style upgrade right now, but I’m not going to slate what is there for being awesome.

Banned
BC is completely different now because unlike older previous gens, the jump in games isn't that drastic.

360/PS3 games still hold up generally well in the XBO/PS4 world compared to the jump from PS2/XB to 360/PS4. and even more so this coming gen.

also service games like Apex Legends, Fortnite, Avengers, Destiny... nowadays games are supported for such long periods of times that "old" games are played for multiple years... so "old games" aren't really perceived as such anymore by many. in the past a game that was older than 2 years was basically forgotten if it wasn't called Call of Duty or Halo. these days so many games are getting updates all the time and ae getting played way longer.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Most gens starts with a bunch of nothing and unintersting titles with the exception of a few games.

Sure, I think the biggest mistake from MS this gen is to not offer new titles now. But for the first time people are able to play their backlogs or favorite past gen games improved, and that's awesome.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Doesn’t hurt that things like texture filtering, 4K (sometimes), and framerate fixes have these games looking their best.

There’s a kind of interaction with the new hardware that, at a glance, makes checking out an old favorite more interesting, and not necessarily just the exact same thing.

DonJorginho

Banned
Most gens starts with a bunch of nothing and unintersting titles with the exception of a few games.

Sure, I think the biggest mistake from MS this gen is to not offer new titles now. But for the first time people are able to play their backlogs or favorite past gen games improved, and that's awesome.
Luckily the PS5 isn't starting the gen that way imo.

All the first party titles aside from Destruction All Stars and Bugsnax are very interesting.

Smoke6

I feel you OP but both consoles are guilty of this it’s just MS marketing is working for them as Sony has been trying to push innovation and let’s not forget that controller is reallly getting more buzz than the consoles itself and that’s a plus!

MS has a year at least of old games while Sony has stuff coming down the pipeline that’s gonna show off it’s system during that time

magaman

Banned
Here's the thing though. BC is just a bonus. We're still gonna get great games on both consoles in the near future. So I don't see what the problem is?

We don't need a next gen console now if there are no next gen games to play on it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Not sure if bad thing, the initial drought almost made me sold PS4, what a useless paper weight back in early 2014....

I find it bizarre that BC is such a talking point going in to new gen. We should be focusing on new games and new experiences. MS has done a good job changing the conversation to mask their barren launch line up.
why? yes it nice to have new games that look amazing and play smooth but is it a bad thing to have access to older games? i cant see any form of BC as being an issue, and also it will not hold back next gen....

anaphase

We don't need a next gen console now if there are no next gen games to play on it.

No you don't, and that's ok. This is why for the most part, games are cross gen for a couple of years. There's no rush for you to upgrade. But the option is there should you feel the need to do so.

Honestly, there's no solid reason to buy any next gen consoles right now. It's like buying a new car though, your current hoopty can still get you from point A to point B, but car makers still make new models every year.

Upgrade if you want, or don't 🤷‍♂️

GOOD! Should be putting even MORE emphasis on it!

Guess what is a given with every new console generation? NEW GAMES, yaaay! What also used to be a given? That the moment you move into next gen you'd lose the ability to play all previous games you paid for and all accessories on your new console. Wouldn't even make sense to go digital only for all your money to be buried in a previous platform forcing you to stay with it if you ever want to play your games again.

So yes, BC is the greatest new feature this gen. Everything else is a given. New games will come, new exclusives will also come. Talk more about it and the enhancements made to them which is another huge thing as well.

Rolla

Banned
They banked heavily on Halo and it became an IP that was ridiculed. Without a next gen showcase that demonstrates the power narrative, a narrative that they've pushed, they have to lean on old games. Especially when the metrics for the competition's IP is getting the gargantuan engagement it's getting across media platforms.

But they haven't "dragged" the next gen conversation into old games. They are, in a sense, stuck there due to circumstances. If the situation were different Halo Infinite's marketing campaign would be in full swing.

Halo_Monster-Wire-Post_Inline_5.jpg

Last edited:
Am I seriously reading a thread that is negative towards Microsoft's efforts for back compat?
How this can be viewed as anything other than great is beyond me.
The PC had had it since whenever, and the fact that I can buy both a PS5 and XSX, and have my entire backlog of games to keep and play, enhanced, is going to make me and millions of others move to the new consoles quicker.
There is not one negative thing about it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think that Microsoft thought they'd be releasing the system with Halo and that it wasn't their intention to make BC the focus. But Halo wasn't ready and they didn't have much else to highlight so they're going with BC and enhancements to current gen games. In my humble opinion neither console has new games that are worth the price of admission. I'm not going to trash talk either console, but there aren't any games coming that I want until 2021 for either system.

So I'm glad that BC is core to the message this generation. There's no way a collector can be put out with this. Not everyone plays a game once and puts it on the shelf. Some of us like to go back to our old games and play them again. To have a setup where I won't have to keep an old console plus I get the benefit of an enhanced experience is what I've wanted for years. I can't be the only one, otherwise Sony and Microsoft wouldn't have put the effort into it.

If "I buy new consoles for new games" is your mantra then that's great. I hope you find what you're looking for next week. But there are tons of games from this generation that can finally be experienced the way they were meant to be experienced and I'm looking forward to digging in to them.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
So we are playing these games and I assume, enjoying. But the minute a new console comes out we're supposed to just toss them all?

I'm all for new games but we should still, at least from time to time play our previous purchases.

If the point of new consoles is better looking and performing games, why wouldn't we want all those previous games to also be better.

It doesn't need to be new games or better back compat. It should be both.

Desudzer10

Neither system has any games that are system sellers. XBX has nothing, while Sony has a remake and a cross gen game as their big launch titles. BC is a big thing for at least a year or year and a half. After that then we'll see what both systems have to offer.

We are in an ecosystem. I have around 250 ps4 games and sony better be damn sure they work on the ps5. Even more I made the jump to around 50% digital games. They kinda have the obligation to make sure they work through generations.

RaySoft

I've been following video games since the SNES, and I have never seen this much focus on old games when a new generation is released. Microsoft was the first to announce specs for their new console and everybody will agree that it is a beast of a console. They even used the "Most Powerful Console" slogan which it was fitting. Suddenly, though, Microsoft did a 180º and started focusing on Backwards compatibility.

I'm not saying it's bad to have BC (although, I personally, don't care for it at all). However, ever since the PS2, there has never been focus about BC at all when a new console launches. PS2 has BC, but it was just a checkbox marked, but everyone was excited about all new possibilities of the new system even if they weren't shown at the time.

The PS3 made a bigger splash when it came to BC because Sony decided to remove it after the console released, so it was an unusual (but necessary for them to reduce cost). Ever since, BC has been "demanded" by gamers, and Microsoft seems to have taken this way too far.

Nobody has complained that a new console is out and there are no games taking advantage of them at launch. This have been the norm for many decades. We normally have to wait one year or so to start looking at games that truly take advantage of the new consoles. This time, though, Microsoft decided to focus on BC, and now, all the narrative about next gen is about lead-times and performance about OLD games running in the NEW system.

Are people really excited to play their old games? Like, I know and I understand it's convenient to be able to play an old game when you feel like it, or that you are able to get rid of your old console in order to buy the new one and still be able to play your games, but putting the focus on BC is very odd to me.

I was expecting conversations about how we would get great games in the future because of the monster specs that Xbox Series X has, or how Sony would be able to make new games with the power of the PS5. Yet, we only see how people get excited about a 5 year old game running at 60fps!

I don't think there ever was more than once sentence in describing BC in older systems. I haven't revisited the reviews, but I could bet it's the case for the PS2, Wii, PS3, GC (for the lack of it), etc. It used to be a "cool, you can still play your old games.... anyway!..."

Why is it that everyone is so focused on it right now? You could say that there are not enough new games at launch, but I think it has been the case every time, not just now. Every console release only have few games the first few months.

Also, not just media, but people in general. You could see comments about PS4 saying things like " A new God of War would look amazing on a PS4", but now the conversation is: "Wow, XSX loads this old game, 5 seconds faster (or viceversa)".

I hate this!! What happened to the excitement of things to come! What happened to visualizing the future and getting surprised about games being better than anything we would have expected?

Sorry for the mild rant. It's just that it's so weird to me seeing everyone focusing on the past instead of the future for the first time.
The reason is because Xbox is now a PC in a box, or if you will.. a more successful steambox.
Compatability is key for MS in this time and age. They are not in the console, in the real meaning of the word, business anymore.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Are people really excited to play their old games?

The time when I had a gazillion consoles in the living room is long gone, so getting the one all-encompassing hub where I can play three or more very much active generations of games on with my son is relatively exciting, yes.

No one honestly cares about backwards compatibility

Awkward..

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

They needed at LEAST 1 pretty good launch game and a few early launch window games. I think the new Xbox would’ve been worth it better than the ps5 overall. I was looking to pick up the system with halo over the ps5, but I guess I’ll pass on the Xbox an stick with Sony....

ReBurn

Gold Member
No one honestly cares about backwards compatibility, and if you need any proof, look at the Switch.

This is only a talking point because of MS, and will only remain a talking point until exclusive XSX content starts coming out. It's pathetic.
How is the switch proof that nobody cares about backwards compatibility?

Faithless83

Banned

They can't drag it to Medium now, can they?

Skifi28

Being able to continue playing your huge library in the hundreds(and improved) on your new machine is pretty darn important. One does not negate the other though, you can have both. I'd blame covid for the lack of next-gen games rather than any specific company.

Jokerevo

Banned
I really want an excuse to buy the XsX but I already have a PC. I'm looking more forward to what nintendo are doing next than MS. The XsX needs an exclusive that fully shows off all those 12 flops and if it never gains an exclusive it is effectively obsoleted by the PC.

So come on MS, give us something new and shiny. All this old BC shit ive played to death.

Plantoid

See the thing i ghlh doubt sny of them will match sony first party sibgle player games, with gsmepass heavy focus the games will be mp based.
False, Google it, they said they prefer long single player experiences that retain their value overtime, not lots of mp games that takes 30min to find a match

People need to understand that ms has a different plan from sony, their plan is to shove gamepass into everyone's throat, be it on pc, xbox, smartphones, smart tvs and so on....

Doesn't matter if the ps5 outsells xbox 2:1, if they manage to increase gp count, it's a win

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's not just compatibility with old games, but being able to play them at better framerates/resolutions what makes this a cool feature for both consoles.

But yeah, in a perfect world this would be just a little bonus and we would be discussing a lot of new, awesome looking games.

Sadly there's maybe one game at launch that fills that criteria so here we are, discussing bc, rtx, and framerates instead of games.

Top Bottom