• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft had fewer units at launch because they were waiting for AMD specific technology

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/24...spencer-sony-ps5-hardware-decisions-interview

I guess this ends all of the talk. So what we were hearing about the dev kits were true. It's kind of funny that the hardware wasn't finalized until 4-5 months ago.

That's the manufacturing of retail units. PS5 didn't start manufacturing a month later in August.

Phil never used words like 'GDK, API, Dev kits' even once in this article. How did you reach to the dev kits conclusion?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Phil Spencer, not only "Full RDNA 2", but also "FULL" damage control.

I love how their whole overhyped/overpromised twitter marketing "bla bla bla Power, bla bla bla 12TF" completely fallen apart.

Hopefully waiting will prove to be the correct decision when the RDNA2 features become a staple of next gen development.

That should be their new slogan "Keep waiting".

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Taiwan data says XSX chip was done 2H 2019. The rest is people bullshitting.

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1590679194.A.F5B

Taiwanese Aquariuszi:

PS5 did start much earlier, but the final chip revision started H2 2019 and was later than XSX

XSX started the chip verification in H1 2019 and finished in H2 2019.

So all the discussion of XSX being later is not true, Sony chose what they wanted, MS chose what they wanted and each did their own customisation.

I often see a narrative that XSX waited for something blah blah, tools blah blah...whatever.

i read chinese, which part of that link says what you say?
no google translate, no Fud please.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Its sold out. Why wait. The sooner you get it out in the public the sooner you can iron out the experience and bugs.

PR reasons. Plus, yes it's sold out but with how many units? That's the bigger question.

Gotcha, I guess I'm one of the gamers because it seemed like an innocent enough statement to me lol

Why would he lie about productivity, especially when so many gamers on Neogaf cearly know he is lying?

He's not lying about productivity. He's just not telling the truth or giving the full context with how console manufacturing works.

Probably both should wait for next year.

Why? Every console launch has some issues. But Sony had everything that they needed ready.

Elios83

This is colossal bullshit imo.
They bragged about their hardware being ready last December, the FUD wanted Sony to be late because they were not showing their design and they were surely having melting consoles because of the last minute overclock and now.....it comes out it was the opposite?
I guess he's already trying to say not to look to much into early sales of the consoles....

Last edited:
Phil Spencer, not only "Full RDNA 2", but also "FULL" damage control.

I love how their whole overhyped/overpromised twitter marketing "bla bla bla Power, bla bla bla 12TF" completely fallen apart.

It's not damage control but what MS did with their OG XBox and the 360.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It seems as if Sony should've waiting with all these issues the ps5 is having.
tbt.gif

JonkyDonk

Some people are unhinged from reality on this forum. They can't make changes to the APU a few months before launch, that's not how this works. It takes a long time from final chip being confirmed to mass production, you can't be making 'last minute' changes. They would have never made the November launch and apparently sold over a million already if they were still making APU changes earlier this year.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Well it goes with the burgers you serve.

So lets be clear, you say you studied physics, I slyly compliment you with the idea that you put circuits on silicon and make chips, I repeat the joke, and ask for more chips that you say you know stuff about and somehow I serve burgers. The only thing I serve is dumb jokes. I don't need to show my credentials but you sir have earned thyself a rival. and by rival I mean a person that will not really think about it at all unless I have some dumb joke to make.

Other things I serve: My family, church, community. They all order from me in the drive thru.

oldergamer

Taiwan data says XSX chip was done 2H 2019. The rest is people bullshitting.

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1590679194.A.F5B

Taiwanese Aquariuszi:

PS5 did start much earlier, but the final chip revision started H2 2019 and was later than XSX

XSX started the chip verification in H1 2019 and finished in H2 2019.

So all the discussion of XSX being later is not true, Sony chose what they wanted, MS chose what they wanted and each did their own customisation.

I often see a narrative that XSX waited for something blah blah, tools blah blah...whatever.
Stop talking about things in a vacuum. Just because verification was complete, does NOT mean there were not other hold ups related to manufacturing, process, or a multitude of other delays.

geordiemp

So lets be clear, you say you studied physics, I slyly compliment you with the idea that you put circuits on silicon and make chips, I repeat the joke, and ask for more chips that you say you know stuff about and somehow I serve burgers. The only thing I serve is dumb jokes. I don't need to show my credentials but you sir have earned thyself a rival. and by rival I mean a person that will not really think about it at all unless I have some dumb joke to make.

Other things I serve: My family, church, community. They all order from me in the drive thru.

I was just having a joke back, I know what you meant, It was a cheeky reposte I apologise .

I often joke with Sircaw that I polish the floors....

Its been a long day man.

longdi

Banned

ignore geordiemp geordiemp , he is a shit stirrer and a troll. :messenger_ok:
we have asked him for patents link which he never provided
we have asked him for his tsmc credentials, which he never provided
i asked him about the chinese taipei link, which he never provided.

reinking

Gold Member
Here's the thing... ..it doesn't really matter. The results are here. Yes, consoles will improve and the XBSX might improve more but I expected a lot more with all of the talk leading up to the launch. They way XB marketing was talking we were going to see a big gap between PS5 and XBSX. They went as far as taking shots at Sony at times. Maybe we will see this gap in the future maybe we won't but this is damage control either way.

I will say it again. I am glad I purchased my Series X with a clear head and based it on BC improvements and Game Pass for at least the first 12 months. If I had chosen it for new games I would be disappointed.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

mrmeh

And yet phil had one in his house in december 2019

Who is lying ? mmmm

Not honest phil the truth sayer ?

Its funny when bullshitters contradict themselves,.

Chips go through several production stages with prototypes often tapped out several months before a retail stepping is produced. Phil having one in his house does not invalidate retail production only starting several months later.

The chip having AMD specific features they were waiting on can mean just that, no need to get all defensive and console war.

geordiemp

Stop talking about things in a vacuum. Just because verification was complete, does NOT mean there were not other hold ups related to manufacturing, process, or a multitude of other delays.

Never said there would not be, the drivers and apis could take along time after to get right.

Looks like both Sony and Microsoft are still at it now, and might finish next year when we beta test for them

dano1

A Sheep
lol no they weren't. You don't wait for new tech right up until a few months before launch, this shit gets finalized more than a year in advance.

Why can’t you? If AMD told them we have something coming next year that’s better and it will fit in without any problems. You would be dumb not too!!

JonkyDonk

Why can’t you? If AMD told them we have something coming next year that’s better and it will fit in without any problems. You would be dumb not too!!
Because we don't live in la la land. In real life, there are a lot of steps and procedures that have to be taken from the moment the silicon is locked in place to when a console can be shipped and sold. It is not possible for them to be adding things to the APU within months of mass producing them. If someone talks about making 'last minute' changes, the absolute latest it can be is like a year before launch and even then the change would be to the RAM or something outside the APU.

RaySoft

Can anybody else see how sneaking Phil is in that quote? It's due to MS having "FULL RDNA2" that pushed them back. Their MS is all a shell game to win the console war based on marketing terminology. So now the next push is to win the minds of gamers over with, "we have full RDNA2 and Sony doesn't" rather than the 12 TF vs 10 TF talk from earlier in the year.
If they didn't wait for rdna2 PC GPU parity, the whole reason of the Xbox Series is kinda useless, isn't it?

nikolino840

They had pictures of the completed APU as far back as late December early January.

How soon we forget.

Of course,what time do you think need for projects,prototypes,manufacturing tests,doing some changes etc...?

And..if i told you that amd had rdna2 chips in the factory even before the announcements?

Have working units months before doesn't mean anything

oldergamer

Never said there would not be, the drivers and apis could take along time after to get right.

Looks like both Sony and Microsoft are still at it now, and might finish next year when we beta test for them
I don't think they were talking about drivers though, but specific hardware. We actually don't know what hardware this was, or what it does. It may not be the CPU or GPU he is talking about.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they didn't wait for rdna2 PC GPU parity, the whole reason of the Xbox Series is kinda useless, isn't it?

But it's not like they waited "without" knowing what the time schedule was. This wasn't some last-minute change in the road map by AMD or MS. So this shouldn't have been a problem at all.

I dont get the controversy here, do we think he is lying about production?
Well quick question
are you a playstation fan? If so yes hes lying and evil
are you an xbox fan? If yes hes for sure telling the truth
are you not a moron? who know its all pr and most of everything anyone says about this shit can only barely be considered truthful

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of course,what time do you think need for projects,prototypes,manufacturing tests,doing some changes etc...?

And..if i told you that amd had rdna2 chips in the factory even before the announcements?

Have working units months before doesn't mean anything

You're late to the game, thread has been covering that.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I'm not sure why everyone keeps arguing for or against, just take the news as is, time will reveal all. At the end of the day, if you don't have any evidence for or against, you'll end up looking pretty dumb in the future.

Drewpee

Banned
Well quick question
are you a playstation fan? If so yes hes lying and evil
are you an xbox fan? If yes hes for sure telling the truth
are you not a moron? who know its all pr and most of everything anyone says about this shit can only barely be considered truthful

That doesn't seem like a quick question.

THE:MILKMAN

It takes ~2 years to go from finalising the specs/features of the HW to launch. Phil talking about waiting for chip feature(s) from AMD in the context of being a little late in starting manufacturing in late summer this year compared to PS5 (reports came out in mid-May for XSX production start I seem to remember?) makes little sense to me. The chip was certainly signed off/design complete in 2019 and wouldn't affect the start date of manufacturing a year later.

I get there will always be PR damage control (Jim Ryan does it too) but this is a little too cringe for me.

Top Bottom