• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft, Google, and Qualcomm complain to U.S. Antitrust Regulators Regarding NVIDIA's Purchase of ARM

BWJinxing

I'm rooting for a failure on Nvidia part here.

Given Nvidia history, I believe they would get greedy and fuck up the benefits of Arm.

- Stifle some inovation for the sake of forcing Nvidia brand cores

- Nvidia's track record with other companies is questionable.

- Nvidia could just st do a ISA license now, and design their own ARM chip. They don't need to own ARM to do that.

( They had to give Nintendo a good deal on their chips because again, due to past dealings, nobody wants to work with Nvidia )

I do see the irony in Google and MS, calling out the deal. But this is one of those situations where it's a legit global issue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Given Nvidia history, I believe they would get greedy and fuck up the benefits of Arm.

- Stifle some inovation for the sake of forcing Nvidia brand cores

- Nvidia's track record with other companies is questionable.

- Nvidia could just st do a ISA license now, and design their own ARM chip. They don't need to own ARM to do that.

( They had to give Nintendo a good deal on their chips because again, due to past dealings, nobody wants to work with Nvidia )

I do see the irony in Google and MS, calling out the deal. But this is one of those situations where it's a legit global issue.

Yeah, that's my take. It's some extreme ironing on behalf of these anti-competitive tech giants, but I don't see how we don't lose out as consumers if this deal goes through.

driqe

I know these numbers, but seems they don't have the guts to bid, or the deal has already been sealed long ago.
You know these numbers, and you still said they dont have that amount of cash when all of them have more?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well if it's going to pass and nVidia got it, then probably RISC-V will rise, so I don't think that it's going to be end of everything.

Barakov

I'm alright with all three of these companies being butthurt about this. However, given what we know about nvidia this will probably be extremely bad for consumers. So I'm hoping this thing doesn't go through.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Microsoft and Google hate it ?

take it back canadian GIF by CBC

Great Hair

Banned
And what about it? MS is all for open access for everything - GamePass, Windows where you can run everything and other stuff.

Considering that have the history in 90s regarding anti-trust clauses they know what they are doing.

Haha you are joking right?
We aren't even 5 years since Microsoft tried to force walled garden store into pc space just to pocket that 30% fee on each sale and only market rejection saved us.

Give Nintendo a good deal? They sold them a shitty Tegra chip that was already obsoleted by their more advanced version the moment the Nintendo console launched.

I don't care how much Nintendo paid for it, it's not a good deal.

BWJinxing

Give Nintendo a good deal? They sold them a shitty Tegra chip that was already obsoleted by their more advanced version the moment the Nintendo console launched.

I don't care how much Nintendo paid for it, it's not a good deal.
Nintendo makes profit on their hardware.

It's not a good deal for consumers wanting power, but it's a good deal for the suits.

Nintendo makes profit on their hardware.

It's not a good deal for consumers wanting power, but it's a good deal for the suits.

The cost of the APU is entirely independent of the technology it's based on. NVidia could have given Nintendo access to their latest Tegra for Switch and as long as the die size was the same the cost of the chip would be identical. So that's a non-argument.

M16

they are complaning because nvidia will have a competitive advantage because of inside info. has nothing to do with the fairness of the licensing.
ex: arm releases new arm design. vendors start to implement it into new chips,meanwhile nvidia already has a product on the production line.

Last edited:

McCheese

Nvidia wouldn't be able to fab arm chips in-house as they are stuck at 14mm still right? So not much would change immediately, most companies licence the tech but fab their own chips at the moment.

So how does this touch me the little ole consumer of electronic stuff? Will this make things more expensive? Will there be more choice? Will there be more factories cranking out stuff? Will there be stuff on shelves when I walk into the store?

Top Bottom