• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Going To Fully Reveal The Xbox Series X In April

Kagey K

Banned
What if Tom Warren is right and they’ll do the reveal in April? He has a good track in leaking MS stuff
Then he’s right, I can’t get mad at him for that.

It just seems like too long from reveal to E3, for me. It is hard to keep people talking for 6 or 7 weeks about specs. It’s easier to keep them closer, especially for the big companies that are there setting up booths or sets anyway.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What if Tom Warren is right and they’ll do the reveal in April? He has a good track in leaking MS stuff
It wouldn't be that weird to do one in April or May. The E3 show isn't long enough to talk about everything (system and games). So they'll have an exclusive XSX event where they talk about the complete system, specs and software while showing some but not many games. Then at E3 it will be a full on game show with a price reveal.

Kagey K

Banned
I just wish both would hurry up and spill the beans. Watching fanboys from both sides have become tiring. But I am excited to see what Microsoft has to offer this coming Gen especially since they kind of showed you really don't need their console anymore.
I have found Gaf borderline unbearable since Jan when the PS5 was supposed to be revealed in Feb. It’s just so much bullshit and fake leakers. I want the systems to be out so we can go back to liking and hating games instead of whatever this has been lately.

Night.Ninja

Banned
giphy.gif

I for one welcome our future gaming overlords.

TBiddy

It most certainly does, launch window is just a small part of the battle. Last time it was fucking up the launch window that also helped setup the loss in the current generation war.

Hey, I agree on that. But you were the one that started to bring in the PS4 games and using them as an argument, that people would pick the PS5 unless it was "total shite". If that is the case, Microsoft couldn't do much to change that.

Sussoloc

Casuals get influenced by the word of mouth and online discourse, most fanboys and paid shills know that and that is why their activity peaks at certain points in the consoles’ lifespan trying to help generate positive or negative buzz, and the momentum generated in the launch window is a big influencer for casuals too.

The aura around Xbox One was weaker HW, predatory online policy, tiered launch strategy causing them unnecessary ill will in territories they were not prioritising (not what a global company should do), last two Xbox 360 years focused on casual games and Kinect and suffering for some first party AAA game draughts (not the case with PS3), big push for TVTVTV and Kinect in all boxes, as well as a slower console (which hurt their core branding slogan around performance “No power greater than x”), etc...

If Sony, after a decent launch in that scenario you described, managed to do a slim model for $349 or less, not impossible a year in if they wanted to, a $50 difference would not help Lockhart much if at all.
In my opinion only we freaks and core gamers know stuff like that. I mean over 200 million people bought PS4/One/Switch and how many of them do you think keep informing and talking about it on the internet? Maybe 40.000? 50.000?

The other people just go into a store and buy it (after tehy asked their friends what they got).

I was on launch day in a huge store with like 50 peaople waiting for a PS4 and some of us talked. Nobody knew the PS4 was stronger than Xbox One, i felt like an alien there. Only the seller knew, but in his oppinion esRAM would close the gap in the future. What an idiot he was. Maybe with all the Youtubers and Twitchers, some casuals are better informed nowadays.

A Slim takes time and as i said pricing only matters at the beginning, after that only the friends matter. Price drops and removing Kinect didn't help MS at all, because it was too late. The gen was already lost no later than early 2014.

PS3 was so expensive (and late), not even very fast price drops helped Sony from losing nearly half of it's 160 milion PS2 user base.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hey, I agree on that. But you were the one that started to bring in the PS4 games and using them as an argument, that people would pick the PS5 unless it was "total shite". If that is the case, Microsoft couldn't do much to change that.

I do not agree with that. While PS4, as any well positioned incumbent, has an inherent advantage that can be magnified or reduced in potency based on what Xbox does to carry its user base forward, grow it beyond their core (a historic weakness of Xbox’s PR so far) and seed the doubt in the minds of those PS5 owners which may be tempted later.

There is a lot they can do regardless of Sony dropping the ball or not. Sony won because they had a great strategy they executed well on and thus capitalised on MS’s mistakes. MS needs to prepare the same way and grow beyond its core.

TBiddy

I do not agree with that. While PS4, as any well positioned incumbent, has an inherent advantage that can be magnified or reduced in potency based on what Xbox does to carry its user base forward, grow it beyond their core (a historic weakness of Xbox’s PR so far) and seed the doubt in the minds of those PS5 owners which may be tempted later.

There is a lot they can do regardless of Sony dropping the ball or not. Sony won because they had a great strategy they executed well on and thus capitalised on MS’s mistakes. MS needs to prepare the same way and grow beyond its core.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't hold up. If you with one hand argue that PS4 BC is a deciding factor in choosing your console, you can't with the other hand invalidate that factor and start arguing that "MS can grow beyond its core", whatever that means.

Edit:

To elaborate: Microsoft won't beat Sony this gen. Not unless Sony for some god forsaken reason decide to release an underpowered and overpriced console and don't support it with games. If they deliver (again, an example) a 9TF PS5, priced at 399 or 449, they will stomp all over Microsoft, no matter what Microsoft do or doesn't do.

Microsoft can release a lot of great games, have great hardware at the right price and deliver excellent online service. They will still get outsold. Claiming they need to "prepare" and "grow beyond their core" is a bit cheap, to be frank.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

I would reveal everything, TF, RAM , SDD the whole... but not pricing !

I would play the waiting game with Sony until release day if necessary.
Only saying it will be affordable, look at our history. For the hardcore setting aside an extra 100, is not that big of a deal if it’s 499 instead of 399. I would buy.

the hardcore will preorder and buy regardless.

Changing the way , prices are announced and made.

Series X: change everything,

winning slogan right there.

All those marketing experts can go home now, ‘cause Sinnergy’s here to re-invent the entire game.....

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
i dont get the point of doing this before E3, it just ends up hurting both shows instead of having 1 epic reveal
They don't have the time to show everything in 1 show at E3. How can you go from 90min full of games (last few years), to also put a whole analysis of the system specs as well as OS and new software features in that time bucket?

GHG

Gold Member
With the way that some people have been going on you would think they had already done the full reveal for the console. But no, all they've done is show the box and throw out a few PR bullshit statements.

Looking forward to seeing some uncompressed pixels.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS3 was so expensive (and late), not even very fast price drops helped Sony from losing nearly half of it's 160 milion PS2 user base.

They lost some users from PS2 days, but if that were the only metric Switch would be an absolute failure as they may never match Wii (just do better than Wii U).

Overall they were still able to hit core objectives with Blu-Ray and they enabled incredibly massive profits with PS3 and month by month they outsold Xbox 360 shortly after it got out.

I'm sorry, but that doesn't hold up. If you with one hand argue that PS4 BC is a deciding factor in choosing your console, you can't with the other hand invalidate that factor and start arguing that "MS can grow beyond its core", whatever that means.

Edit:

To elaborate: Microsoft won't beat Sony this gen. Not unless Sony for some god forsaken reason decide to release an underpowered and overpriced console and don't support it with games. If they deliver (again, an example) a 9TF PS5, priced at 399 or 449, they will stomp all over Microsoft, no matter what Microsoft do or doesn't do.

Microsoft can release a lot of great games, have great hardware at the right price and deliver excellent online service. They will still get outsold. Claiming they need to "prepare" and "grow beyond their core" is a bit cheap, to be frank.

Not sure what to tell you, I spelled out the point severa times, but I think we come at it from angles that make it difficult to understand each other I guess.

The nuance of being outsold or not at launch and by how much and how that influences post launch momentum and thus sales in what should be another long generation.

Having a head start does not mean winning the war as Xbox 360 showed before.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
i dont get the point of doing this before E3, it just ends up hurting both shows instead of having 1 epic reveal
Not really. You don’t have all the time in the world in your E3 conference

So this is a smart move so E3 is your games focused platform

If you’re going to fully reveal the console and talk about it and then you wanna show games? 2 hours aren’t enough at all.

mejin

People are so obsessed with PS5 reveal they forgot another Xbox is not a thing yet.

Hope MS delivers.

Sussoloc

Overall they were still able to hit core objectives with Blu-Ray and they enabled incredibly massive profits with PS3 and month by month they outsold Xbox 360 shortly after it got out.
The bluy ray drive was Sonys lifeline. They subsidized the PS3 so much that at some point the whole PS3 was cheaper than a simple blu ray player. Movie fans bought it like crazy at those times.

Last edited:

sinnergy

All those marketing experts can go home now, ‘cause Sinnergy’s here to re-invent the entire game.....
Yes , because that’s sometimes needed..

I have these thoughts , but most can’t adapt to change that fast ...

Human nature.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
"Lorem Ipsum" is mostly placeholder you use when you don't need a real text, or the real text isn't finalized yet. It's no proof of anything one way or another, the picture might just be a work in progress. (but one could say that someone creating a fake to deceive people would at least try to put a real text there).

Considering how bad it went in 2013, they may want to change that strategy. And even if it was a mid-gen update, I don't remember XboneX having a dedicated reveal before E3 (I may be wrong there, though).
I agree. The presence of Loren Ipsum makes it more credible in my mind. Microsoft has used it before.

Then he’s right, I can’t get mad at him for that.

It just seems like too long from reveal to E3, for me. It is hard to keep people talking for 6 or 7 weeks about specs. It’s easier to keep them closer, especially for the big companies that are there setting up booths or sets anyway.
It's all just a bunch of waiting anyway. That's all we've been doing with Xbox since the 360 era was wait, and especially with this generation in general as far as announcements of exclusives are concerned, but in terms of Xbox, it has always been:

"Wait for the cloud"
"Wait for DX12"
"Wait for Xbox One X"
"Wait for studio announcements"

I'll just have faith that they'll deliver on first party content, that's all I care about as far as Xbox is concerned because everything else is absolutely fine if not great.

TBiddy

Not sure what to tell you, I spelled out the point severa times, but I think we come at it from angles that make it difficult to understand each other I guess.

The nuance of being outsold or not at launch and by how much and how that influences post launch momentum and thus sales in what should be another long generation.

Having a head start does not mean winning the war as Xbox 360 showed before.

Could be. I'm not sure what you mean by the 2nd sentence. It's like there's missing some words?

Doesn't need to be total shit.

Hypothetically;

XSX is 12 TF and 499
PS5 is 9 TF and 399
XSS is 6 TF and 299

Or something like that. I think that would be a solid business model for Microsoft.
XSX is 12 TF and 499

+ 100 games on gamepass + all exclusive for 3 months
= 499 +9,99 +9,99 + 9,99€

= ca. 530€

PS5 is 9 TF and 399

+ 3 exclusive games
= 70 + 70 + 70€

= ca. 610€

xbox xsx
12TF plus games for 3 months [100 games]
530€

ps5
9TF plus 3 exclusive games
610€

the clearly winner is.....

GHG

Gold Member
Considering the fact that Microsoft haven't revealed their specs yet I think they are scared.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Considering the fact that Microsoft haven't revealed their specs yet I think they are scared.
But they did. It's over 8x Xbox One. The only confusion is that some think they mean Xbox One, others Xbox One S. 8x 1.3 = 10.4 TF, 8x 1.4 TF = 11.2 TF. Over 8x = less than 9x. 9x 1.3 = 11.7 TF, 9x 1.4 = 12.6 TF. So Xbox Series X is between 10.4 TF and 12.6 TF.

GHG

Gold Member
But they did. It's over 8x Xbox One. The only confusion is that some think they mean Xbox One, others Xbox One S. 8x 1.3 = 10.4 TF, 8x 1.4 TF = 11.2 TF. Over 8x = less than 9x. 9x 1.3 = 11.7 TF, 9x 1.4 = 12.6 TF. So Xbox Series X is between 10.4 TF and 12.6 TF.

giphy.gif

Can't wait for all this nonsense to be over.

It will be revealed before E3 so they take more time for games, but it may be in May like last time, but it's possible it could be April.

South

Banned
They can do a full reveal of hardware and keep price for later.
Historically these reveals do not tell us anything about the chips, until someone does a breakdown post launch.
To be honest - it will probably confirm what most people are guessing are the specs... surprises might be the amount of RAM and its TF level.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Perhaps, but just imagine the following:

Microsoft reveals it's XSX for 499 in April. Sony dances + celebrates again and goes 399-449.
Microsoft at E3: Here is our Series S for 299.
True, that could happen. Honestly, its even likely. Pretty sure Sony thinks so as well. I think Sony should just go for broke. Boom $500, toss in VR.

Psyche nah I'm playin. It would be Kinect all over again. Although I think VR has a better chance than Kinect did.

Jadsey

XSX is 12 TF and 499

+ 100 games on gamepass + all exclusive for 3 months
= 499 +9,99 +9,99 + 9,99€

= ca. 530€

PS5 is 9 TF and 399

+ 3 exclusive games
= 70 + 70 + 70€

= ca. 610€

xbox xsx
12TF plus games for 3 months [100 games]
530€

ps5
9TF plus 3 exclusive games
610€

the clearly winner is.....

.....the console with the best games library.

Always has been, always will be.

That’s how Sony teaches Xbox the meaning of loss.....time after time after time....

sinnergy

That’s how Sony teaches Xbox the meaning of loss.....time after time after time....
Says you , for me Xbox has the best library and I had a PS4 (I do miss naughty Dog games and God of war) matter is subjective.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

That's what sales seems to indicate too. The real thing that make the PS4 appealing is games and i'm sure the PS5 is gonna blow us away
But I'm also sure Microsoft as learned this and they are gonna bring some big guns and (I hope) brand new IP's that will allow them to compete with Sony.

Aidah

I'm very interested in seeing the reveal, how they go about doing it, all the software and hardware details, their overall strategy, the PR they go with... but no way I'm ever going to buy the console.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It use to be you would reveal your console, now it's all about finding the perfect spot to reveal it.

Aidah

why are you interested then?
Microsoft is a major player in the industry. of course I'm going to be interested in knowing what they're up to, it affects the industry as a whole and it's just generally interesting to see what the industry players do and how it works out, even if their console is useless to me.

Microsoft is a major player in the industry. of course I'm going to be interested in knowing what they're up to, it affects the industry as a whole and it's just generally interesting to see what the industry players do and how it works out, even if their console is useless to me.

what do they have to do to convince you - other than releasing games on PC?

Aidah

what do they have to do to convince you - other than releasing games on PC?
As someone who loves PC and goes for high end PC hardware, I don't think there's any significant part of Microsoft's strategy meant to convince me to buy their console anymore.

Microsoft has made the Xbox console largely redundant to someone like me, and they're okay with that.

As a hypothetical though, I guess having something unique (and significant) that makes it no longer redundant, but that would clash with their apparent strategy.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
They playin a stupid game with Sony. Sony ain't biting tho.

You mean the same game that Sony played when they revealed the PS4 before Xbox One and showcased better technology? If the roles are reversed, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Top Bottom