• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft gaming chief calls for industry-wide game preservation

ManaByte

Any idea why fear 1 cant be made availible digitally? Im dying to Play it again, but not bad enough to spend 30-60 bucks on an ebay copy

Just takes time. When Mass Effect 2 was originally added to the BC program, there wasn't a digital version on Xbox and you had to have the discs. Eventually EA added it.

ManaByte

Okay why can't Microsoft just have a multi laser disc reader, so the console could read discs from the OG/360/One? I know PS3 basically had a PS2 inside, why can't they just do this again? I know costs but honestly it can't add that much on. If this was done, could they stop worrying about licensing? Digital would have licensing issues.

Because the Xbox console can already read discs from the OG, 360, and One. It has NOTHING to do with the laser in the disc drive.

I agree with him...but game preservation is not exactly about having a BC solution based on your own terms like MS has.

When i can play the games i bought physically on all my previous platforms, then we'll talk. Sony is honestly dropping the ball even more here...but not a single one of these companies is working on gaming preservation, specially of all the material we have been buying for decades. They are just looking for ways to make money out of nostalgia. Nintendo is the worst offender here recently with that pathetic N64 solution.

Actual gaming preservation isn't something they are interested in because they won't really make much money out of it and it's honestly a shame they see it that way.
So many gems that are now locked forever on the PS3 specially...and it's a shame. Let's not pretend Sony couldn't have a decent software emulation solution on the PS5 for all previous gens. They did great with the PS4 and even though the previous gens had much different architectures i cant imagine the PS5 not being able to deal with them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree with him...but game preservation is not exactly about having a BC solution based on your own terms like MS has.

When i can play the games i bought physically on all my previous platforms, then we'll talk. Sony is honestly dropping the ball even more here...but not a single one of these companies is working on gaming preservation, specially of all the material we have been buying for decades. They are just looking for ways to make money out of nostalgia. Nintendo is the worst offender here recently with that pathetic N64 solution.

Actual gaming preservation isn't something they are interested in because they won't really make much money out of it and it's honestly a shame they see it that way.
So many gems that are now locked forever on the PS3 specially...and it's a shame. Let's not pretend Sony couldn't have a decent software emulation solution on the PS5 for all previous gens. They did great with the PS4 and even though the previous gens had much different architectures i cant imagine the PS5 not being able to deal with them.
Check This Out GIF

ManaByte

Let's not pretend Sony couldn't have a decent software emulation solution on the PS5 for all previous gens.

Sony is working on a PS3 emulator, but you'll never get access to it. They're going to need to get a software PS3 emulator working as when the PS Now server blades need to be replaced; IBM is no longer producing that Cell chip they use for those.

DrAspirino

Banned
Doesn't need to be ported. Just added to the backwards compatibility program.

hT5iu7E.jpg
Dreamcatcher interactive no longer exists, as it was acquired by JoWood Entertainment in 2006, which was then acquired by THQ Nordic in 2011. The game was developed by Arkane Studios and the source code was released under the GNU, license, HOWEVER, all the game assets (which make the game...the game) are still property of Dreamcatcher Interactive and in turn, THQ Nordic.

Since the main part of the game is property of a subsidiary of THQ Nordic, it is up to THQ Nordic to give the permission to actually allow the Xbox version to be played on newer consoles.

So... it all comes back to this: LICENSES.

Fredrik

So, let’s get Retroarch officially on the store then, so people don’t have to fiddle with dev mode or white listing.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yep. We need to be at a stage where we can purchase and stream every game ever made.

I was looking at an old photo album the other day. It was from back in very early 90s and there were photos of me playing Gremlins 2 and Power Blade on the NES. I was hit with a wave of nostalgia and really wanted to play those games again. Unfortunately, I no longer have my NES and those games can't be purchased on modern systems.

It would be great if I could just log onto Steam or a console storefront, search whatever game I wanted and has to option to purchase it.

MacReady13

For all the stuff I truly despise Phil Spencer for doing to the industry, his stance here on game preservation should be applauded. He is 110% correct. Only way forward is looking to the past and you cannot erase the history of our beautiful video games industry by losing games forever. Nintendo, Sony... are you hearing this?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

L I C E N S E S

PS4 games running on PS5 are a thing because Sony literally made a "mock PS4" with their BC mode. Xbox One games on Xbox Series are a thing because of the very design of Xbox One games: they're literally contained within virtual machines. That's why they can be released untouched on any future Xbox console and be played by just downloading a VM profile.

Both console licenses were for games under a VERY specific platform and under VERY specific conditions. That's why emulation is still illegal in most platforms.
Sorry but I still don't get it. PS4 and Xbox One are still separate platforms and both Sony and MS created mock systems like you said. So why can't the same thing be done for older systems? Just take whatever you said and apply it to older systems and there's your workaround for licenses.

This is kind of ironic coming from the company that pushes for Gamepass, or gaas in general is the biggest threat to games preservation.

Kenpachii

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

L I C E N S E S

PS4 games running on PS5 are a thing because Sony literally made a "mock PS4" with their BC mode. Xbox One games on Xbox Series are a thing because of the very design of Xbox One games: they're literally contained within virtual machines. That's why they can be released untouched on any future Xbox console and be played by just downloading a VM profile.

Both console licenses were for games under a VERY specific platform and under VERY specific conditions. That's why emulation is still illegal in most platforms.

The Office Reaction GIF

Nope.

The entire argument in this thread is game preservation and all the legal bullshit that's impeding it. Support for older games and software ended years ago and we all acknowledge that. We're talking about LEGALLY having the ability to run software on a platform that they weren't designed for, not if they're supported or not.

Are you THAT dense?

And yes, as Phil said, we need this to be an industry-wide thing for it to work, otherwise it would be relegated to PC (since it's an "open" platform) with VERY dubious legal status.

Licenses aren't a issue. they could make a emulator that works for there own franchises and release it on PC. Then PC gamers could simple get all the other games going without effort. Hell they don't evne have to make anything, just release documents of the architectures and how it interacts and boom there you go.

Having game preservation is a pipe dream for any company really and completely impossible because indeed licensing but also company's going bankrupt. Unless he wants to buy up all older ip's it aint happening. So this is the only option if he's serious about it. Which he isn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom