• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY2015 Q4: 1.4M 360+XBO Shipped

Javin98

Banned
"For 14M shipped to make sense, Xbox One's sold through would have to be _________."

Fill in the blank with a number, and then a legitimate discussion can be had. Have a good night GAF
All right, you want my estimations? 12.5 million-13 million sold through, though I'm leaning towards somewhere in the middle, so 12.75 million.

Oh wow, for some reason I thought XBO was approaching 18-20 million shipped with maybe 15 Million sold world wide. They must have next to no traction outside of UK and USA. PS4 alone probably sold through more than 1.4 million last quarter.

timlot

Banned
I don't keep up with the sales stats, but isn't XB1 ahead of XB360 for the same time period on the market. Folks saying XB1 won't get to 80 million by the end of this generation are short sighted. I didn't get my XB360 until 2009. It was on sale for $149 and that included guitar hero with guitar and sonic tennis. When the prices drop these things are going to be impulse purchases.

I don't keep up with the sales stats, but isn't XB1 ahead of XB360 for the same time period on the market. Folks saying XB1 won't get to 80 million by the end of this generation are short sighted. I didn't get my XB360 until 2009. It was on sale for $149 and that included guitar hero with guitar and sonic tennis. When the prices drop these things are going to be impulse purchases.

I think a lot of the naysaying has to do with comparing month to month sales in the same time period is down for these consoles. However, these consoles also had record breaking starts that makes those comparisons less relevant. Also PS4 has yet to have a price drop, and if they get it down to $299 this holiday that is going to be huge.

Javin98

Banned
LOL, do you even have a clue what you're talking about? Yes, currently the XB1 is tracking ahead of the 360, but sales have slowed down significantly since launch. The only reason the XB1 is tracking ahead is because its launch was amazing because of how long the market was stuck with last gen consoles. Few months from now its sales will track behind the 360. Forget 80 million, the XB1 is unlikely to exceed 50 million sold through. You must be delusional to think it can reach 80 million. If you don't keep up with sales, please don't say others are "short sighted". You are just clueless.

Somnia

LOL, do you even have a clue what you're talking about? Yes, currently the XB1 is tracking ahead of the 360, but sales have slowed down significantly since launch. The only reason the XB1 is tracking ahead is because its launch was amazing because of how long the market was stuck with last gen consoles. Few months from now its sales will track behind the 360. Forget 80 million, the XB1 is unlikely to exceed 50 million sold through. You must be delusional to think it can reach 80 million. If you don't keep up with sales, please don't say others are "short sighted". You are just clueless.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Jesus.

gtj1092

3DS was also tracking ahead of NDS. I don't think people realize that the 360 launch wasn't all the spectacular. It just seemed great because it was all alone on the market.

Xbox 360 had a pretty weak start though.That is the main reason why Xone is still ahead time frame aligned.

I'm not sure if Xbox one will be able to keep this way once it reaches the 2008/2016 comparison.

Javin98

Banned
LOL, on the contrary, I'm going to bed now. But seriously, I hate it when people try to make themselves look smart by spewing all sorts of bullshit, when in reality, they are making themselves look ignorant.

AmFreak

360 started weak (the "lol ps3" had higher sales in it's first year).
360 really started to ramp up in it's 3rd year and aside from 2 or 3 months it never lost the monthly sales in the US against the ps3.
The question now is where these 80 million are supposed to come from?
The One sells weaker everywhere market share wise in comparison to the 360.
So either it's market share changes by a huge margin and/or sales overall grow by a huge margin and/or the One will live a far longer life than the 360.
It's very unlikely that any of these 3 things will happen meaning the One is bound to sell less than the 360.

shinnn

Xbox sales figures has been downplayed since I started reading gaf. It is always been "channel stuffing", "oh PS3 will surpass next year... now next year.. and next year", 3RL, etc.

Last year people are comparing with WiiU, this year people are saying it will not sell as much as first Xbox or X360.

Just like I read here people saying the Kinect boosted X360 sales, when I never read this before when Kinect launched. It was all "DOA", jokes, etc.

LOL, on the contrary, I'm going to bed now. But seriously, I hate it when people try to make themselves look smart by spewing all sorts of bullshit, when in reality, they are making themselves look ignorant.

Did you not read the first line of their post? Literally admitting ignorance of the topic.

Just like I read here people saying the Kinect boosted X360 sales, when I never read this before when Kinect launched. It was all "DOA", jokes, etc.

But it did though. Just look at the data presented in the op. Kinect effectively expanded the 360 life and made it sell record sales 5 years post-launch which is very unusual for console life cycle.

The ship for backwards compatibility having an impact this console generation has already sailed. Maybe it would have been a big deal around launch. Now that both systems have games coming out on a regular basis, I see it as not much more that a chip to use in marketing and fanboy wars.

I'd have to agree with this. I'd own an XB1 instead of a PS4 if BC was there at launch. Now it's too late for me. I'm all in with the PS4 and couldn't be happier with my choice.

BC (this late in the gen), the integration with Rift (playing XB1 games in a virtual living room) and streaming XB1 games to Windows 10 all seem like trivial gimmicks to me that are just used as a "look what we can do" kind of thing. But in reality, I seriously doubt the average user will be utilizing these features that often. What console gamer buys a console so he/she can stream to their computer? I'd assume the number is very small. But it makes a great slide in a stockholder PowerPoint presentation. Or E3.

shinnn

The first Kinect had a huge marketing campaign and sold a ton.

But it did though. Just look at the data presented in the op. Kinect effectively expanded the 360 life and made it sell record sales 5 years post-launch which is very unusual for console life cycle.
I know. That's my point. You didn't have that impression if you read X360 and Kinect shipment figures here in the past. It was all doom and gloom.

I know. That's my point. You didn't have that impression if you read X360 and Kinect shipment figures here in the past. It was all doom and gloom.
No it wasn't, you are misremembering. There were plenty of discussions about how well Kinect was selling. You're conflating the fact that people continually mocked the tech and its use. Very few people made fun of Kinect for selling badly--indeed, some lamented it being popular, just like with Wii.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The kinect sold more in its first year than the Xbox 360's first year and was on par during the second year.

The Kinect has almost a 1 in 3 attach rate.

You tell me any other add on peripheral other than controllers that has that sort of attach.

DieH@rd

Banned
The kinect sold more in its first year than the Xbox 360's first year and was on par during the second year.

The Kinect has almost a 1 in 3 attach rate.

You tell me any other add on peripheral other than controllers that has that sort of attach.

You are suprisingly forgetting true accessory success story - Wii Balance Board. Not only it managed to achieve almost 2:1 attach rate on a console that sold noticeably more than X360, but profit margins on it were spectacular.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You are suprisingly forgetting true accessory success story - Wii Balance Board. Not only it managed to achieve almost 2:1 attach rate on a console that sold noticeably more than X360, but profit margins on it were spectacular.

Oh yeh haha.

Wii was something else.

What i'm trying to say though is that Kinect caused the Xbox 360 sales to go insane 5 years after release which is something no other console could do. Even the PS2 never saw a bump in sales like that during its lifetime. (Although I'll admit PS3 had a bump as well during that time, last gen was weird)

What's interesting about BC is that it is the number one requested feature by far on Xbox User Feedback.

But that's self-selecting, only the most ardent users would use the feedback forums, so you would expect something like BC to be a popular request. Regular Joes don't know, or don't care about things like that, and I don't think they care about BC either.

I do, I love BC and would willingly pay extra for it, but experience tells me that most don't give a fig about it. It's not going to move the needle, and it's far too late in the day - it needs to be in from the start to have any impact.

Pretty sure he's from India, and is probably off to bed now.

LOL, on the contrary, I'm going to bed now.

lol indeed,

Wat. I don't follow sales threads but just....What!? How the fuck? I knew it was popular, but... I am seriously dumbstruck by this.

And yeah, Kinect was a huge success for MS. Something like a 3:1 attach rate late in the generation.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wat. I don't follow sales threads but just....What!? How the fuck? I knew it was popular, but... I am seriously dumbstruck by this.

This meme was not created in vain. Wii attracted insane amount of causals.

wii-prints-money-banner.jpg

And then that hype train burned down hard... casuals and big publishers discareded Wii, Wii HD came incredibly late [with realigned gaming genres], only most die hard fans got attracted to badly marketed and poorly supported Wii U.

Somnia

Man, you really are a snippy, humourless dude, aren't you. Not sure what I've done to capture your annoyance today, but I guess this is farewell.

Nah I'm not actually. I was just thinking the same thing about you towards me. Guess it was just a misunderstanding between both of us. Bygones be Bygones, sorry my man.

The difference between the 360 Kinect and the XB1 Kinect is this—one was optional, one was (initially) forced.

And not only that, but when the 360 version was released, not only was it optional, but it had quite the line-up of games either at launch or soon-to-be-released. So it actually had value. I bought one and played the heck out of it for months. Dance Central, Fruit Ninja, Child of Eden, Gunstringer, fitness games... it was great.

The XB1 version had... I don't even remember... Figher Within and the promise of Fantasia and Dance Central Spotlight. Oh, and a Fitness app that would eventually become a paid app after the free trial wore off. And nothing else on the horizon. It made the console $100 more expensive than their rival and had no gaming value outside of voice commands, which also had mixed results.

Even I, who bought the 360 Kinect, did NOT want to be forced into buying the XB1 Kinect until more games were revealed. Sorry... DC:S and Fitness were not worth the extra $100 early entrant fee.

What were we talking about again?

Oh, yeah. Javin's bedtime.

Wynnebeck

Banned

lol Get that confirmation bias out of here.There was no doom and gloom. Last generation, GAF was all about 360. This generation, it's reversed. There is no "everyone is out to get MS!"

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZhugeEX said:
Even the PS2 never saw a bump in sales like that during its lifetime.
To be fair, 360 was starting from a pretty low base - PS2 8th year was still above 360 peak year record IIRC.

joecanada

This meme was not created in vain. Wii attracted insane amount of causals.

wii-prints-money-banner.jpg

And then that hype train burned down hard... casuals and big publishers discareded Wii, Wii HD came incredibly late [with realigned gaming genres], only most die hard fans got attracted to badly marketed and poorly supported Wii U.

Hey ZhugeEX not to make more work but do you have a chart for whole last gen? All the launch aligned charts seem to end at current years. Im interested in Wii rise and fall and see how decline of ps3, 360 evolves

Actually, Zhuge, now that we are officially requesting charts and graphs, I'd love to see an accessory one. Kinect vs. Move vs. Balance Board. Or something like that.

ZhugeEX

Banned
To be fair, 360 was starting from a pretty low base - PS2 8th year was still above 360 peak year record IIRC.

If by 8th year you mean 2008? The PS2 sold in 8.9 million units during that period where as the Xbox 360 peak year was 14.9 million in 2011. (PS2 was 24.6m in 2002)

The PS2 sold 14.7 million in 2006 and then 13.7 million in 2007 before declining down to 8.9 million in 2008.

Occam

That's another one of the many mysteries of the Xbone planning/launch: Why didn't Microsoft prepare any (good) launch titles for Kinect 2? You know, games that would have demonstrated why Kinect was necessary and that would have made people want to buy it? What the hell were they thinking?

That's another one of the many mysteries of the Xbone planning/launch: Why didn't Microsoft prepare any (good) launch titles for Kinect 2? You know, games that would have demonstrated why Kinect was necessary and that would have made people want to buy it? What the hell where they thinking?

But...
Figher Within

frink.gif

But yeah. They needed some killer Kinect 2 launch games to justify that price tag.

Sydle

But that's self-selecting, only the most ardent users would use the feedback forums, so you would expect something like BC to be a popular request. Regular Joes don't know, or don't care about things like that, and I don't think they care about BC either.

I do, I love BC and would willingly pay extra for it, but experience tells me that most don't give a fig about it. It's not going to move the needle, and it's far too late in the day - it needs to be in from the start to have any impact.

Pretty sure he's from India, and is probably off to bed now.

lol indeed,

Well, if you're trying to determine how to retain customers on your platform the first thing you would do is ask them what they want. They spoke and apparently that was really high on the list.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ZhugeEX said:
If by 8th year you mean 2008?
I was thinking 2007 - I guess I was counting calendar years. But that's still lower than I remembered either way, thanks for clarifying.

Biker19

Banned
All right, you want my estimations? 12.5 million-13 million sold through, though I'm leaning towards somewhere in the middle, so 12.75 million.

When a console only sells that much during now 20 months, that's bad.

lol Get that confirmation bias out of here.There was no doom and gloom. Last generation, GAF was all about 360. This generation, it's reversed. There is no "everyone is out to get MS!"

Yeah, that kills me. It's just stupid.

There is no "Sony-GAF" here.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's another one of the many mysteries of the Xbone planning/launch: Why didn't Microsoft prepare any (good) launch titles for Kinect 2? You know, games that would have demonstrated why Kinect was necessary and that would have made people want to buy it? What the hell were they thinking?

IMO, developers stopped producing kinect1 software long before kinect2 was made avaiable to them. This was done most likely because public voted with their wallets after it was clear that kinect1 was good only in few specific games [OS integration was irrelevant].

When kinect2 came, everyone could see that it was only slightly upgraded, and that this kind of motion gaming was not popular with both devs and the public.

"Xbox Live transactions revenue increased $205 million or 58%, reflecting increased users and revenue per user."

Damn. More people going digital?

It's certainly possible. I own a PS4, but I can tell you that the vast, vast majority of my purchases over the past year have been digital. If there's a sweet collector's edition (hello MGS V!) I'll go Amazon or Gamestop or wherever, but......yeah. I just like being able to sit down at midnight and play dem new releases. Plus, less clutter in my man cave.

That is why I reviewed the IDG thread. I was under the assumption that GAF thought the split for Xbox One was 12.7M

As for the bolded above, if you want to dispute sales, then let's dispute sales. But stop trying to use this underhanded tactic in an attempt to somehow discredit me just so you don't have to explain your numbers. You are moving the attention away from what is actually being discussed.

Let's be honest here, there is no way you know what i was banned for. Also what you're implying is that anyone who disagrees with your numbers is subsequently banned.

Now if you followed the IDG thread you will see that the consensus was:
PS4 21.8 minimum
Xbox One 12.2 maximum

Explain why this is wrong without resorting to character deformation.

I dunno why you were banned. But I can probably make an accurate guess.

Odd, it double-posted. I edited my original post and it double-posted. The hell?

Well, if you're trying to determine how to retain customers on your platform the first thing you would do is ask them what they want. They spoke and apparently that was really high on the list.

BC isn't there for the retention of current users, it's blatantly for those who own a 360 and haven't moved over yet. I think the fact that a good portion of 360 owners have already decided on PS4 this time around motivated MS far more than the feedback from current xbone owners.

Sydle

BC isn't there for the retention of current users, it's blatantly for those who own a 360 and haven't moved over yet. I think the fact that a good portion of 360 owners have already decided on PS4 this time around motivated MS far more than the feedback from current xbone owners.

A user of 360 and/or Xbox One is a current Xbox platform user.

If MS wants to determine how to keep people in the ecosystem then they have to start addressing what their users want. It's cheaper to keep a customer than it is to earn a new one.

Obviously they are not solely relying on Xbox feedback to make all their decisions for them. It's another data point though and if you bother to look at the most requested features a lot of them are in progress.

Additionally, between Xbox 360 and PS3 there were 160+ million consoles sold, with a pretty even split between the two platforms. MS is probably well aware they aren't going to get 80 million sales again, but they know they've got to do everything they can to win as many sales as possible. Whatever good will they earn this gen could help them out next gen.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Hey ZhugeEX not to make more work but do you have a chart for whole last gen? All the launch aligned charts seem to end at current years. Im interested in Wii rise and fall and see how decline of ps3, 360 evolves

Is this any good? 100 months, launch aligned. (So bear in mind that Xbox 360 is technically 12 months behind the above due to the headstart.

PS3 sales are estimated between months 65 and 77.

gen%207_zps9xdwroi8.jpg~original

It's certainly possible. I own a PS4, but I can tell you that the vast, vast majority of my purchases over the past year have been digital. If there's a sweet collector's edition (hello MGS V!) I'll go Amazon or Gamestop or wherever, but......yeah. I just like being able to sit down at midnight and play dem new releases. Plus, less clutter in my man cave.
It is easy to see the growth of digital in all the big publishers' quarterly reports. People are getting used to it and like the convenience.

Ushay

Easy tiger.

Top Bottom