• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft FY19 Q3 Earnings Report.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Since people started discussing in the old thread which made for shit reading.

• · Revenue was $30.6 billion and increased 14%
    • · Office Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 12% (up 14% in constant currency) driven by Office 365 Commercial revenue growth of 30% (up 31% in constant currency)
      • · Server products and cloud services revenue increased 27% (up 29% in constant currency) driven by Azure revenue growth of 73% (up 75% in constant currency)
        • · Windows OEM revenue increased 9% (up 9% in constant currency)
        • · Windows Commercial products and cloud services revenue increased 18% (up 20% in constant currency)
        • · Surface revenue increased 21% (up 25% in constant currency)
        • · Gaming revenue increased 5% (up 7% in constant currency) driven by Xbox software and services revenue growth of 12% (up 15% in constant currency)
        • · Search advertising revenue excluding traffic acquisition costs increased 12% (up 14% in constant currency)

Currently have $130+ Billion in cash and short term investments.

And no you're not getting xbox units sold and haven't for the past 5 years now, stop fucking asking.

Report here.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Shares where also up to $130 after hours putting the company market cap over $1 Trillion Dollars, slightly lower now.

Last edited:

Hudo

Interesting that the gaming division could increase revenue. I thought that after all those recent acquisitions, Microsoft's gaming division would have some quarters of (slight) losses.

CyberPanda

Banned
Sorry, there's just something off about the guy that bothers me to some extreme level and I don't understand it. I cannot stand him lol.
He's informative, but I understand what you mean. He kind of reminds of the main character Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Foxbat

Banned
Gaming as a whole up 5%.
Software and Services up 12%
4 million additional live users.

According to some Xbox is doomed. How can this be so?

Spin anyone?

Mista

Banned
Good to see MS doing well in the Xbox division. I really don’t care if you hate Xbox or not but having them around will always be good for the competition. Competition results is good for the consumer and how much money a company made is useless unless you’re a cunt fanboy that thinks that you’ll get anything from that money
Gaming as a whole up 5%.

Spin anyone?
Xbox is far from doomed...

TLZ

Banned
Awww, I'm sorry. Hopefully you can create great excuses next time you have to meet them! That way you won't have to see em'. ;)
I just wish they were more understanding instead of being too judgemental. Anyway I've gone way off topic now :messenger_hushed:

Shin

Banned
All that matters, new shit and they are doing well.
Xbox One and Microsoft's other gaming efforts continue to show promise, with further investments made across the Xbox portfolio. With the upcoming "Scarlett" Xbox console generation, a growing lineup of in-house Xbox studios, and increased PC investments, the future looks bright for its gaming offerings.
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-revenue-rise-microsoft-fy19-q3-earnings

Also interesting, that money, Xbox division expenditure by extension bodes well (it's a stretch but they aren't losing money).
Microsoft Poised to Top $1 Trillion in Value, Beating Amazon and Apple
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-to-top-1-tln-in-value-to-be-largest-u-s-firm

ethomaz

Banned
Let's see if posters on previous thread sees this one.

Massive drop in hardware sales... I want to see if Sony has the drop in these ranges too... new generation arriving and all.

Massive drop in hardware sales... I want to see if Sony has the drop in these ranges too... new generation arriving and all.
Sony saw a worldwide decrease of 16% last year, and they're presently down 25% for this year in the US. So I think it's pretty safe to say the generation is winding down in general.

DanielsM

Banned

I would expect PS to drop in hardware revenue here on out, possibly software due to only really one real big title - Days Gone, plus the modest revenues. I think it will sell well, not sure about 7+m units like Spiderman, God of War, etc.

Xbox as a Console hasn't had a big drop, just a pretty constant drop over the last 9 years or so. Sub 6m units is probably somewhat likely this year, if they announce the ability to play Xbox games on Windows 10 officially and new hardware at E3... I wonder if sub 5m won't happen.

The Switch continues to sell fairly well.

Last edited:
Usually Microsoft ditches businesses that don’t perform well for them. They just invested into the Xbox division pretty heavily this year, so with that in mind, I would have to say they’re doing well. It’s not about how many consoles were moved but how much software was sold for the consoles.

CyberPanda

Banned
Usually Microsoft ditches businesses that don’t perform well for them. They just invested into the Xbox division pretty heavily this year, so with that in mind, I would have to say they’re doing well. It’s not about how many consoles were moved but how much software was sold for the consoles.
Yep. Their market cap is at over 1 trillion now.

Gaming as a whole up 5%.

Spin anyone?

We don't need to spin anything.

Numbers say it all - 63 millions of live users including mobile and pc vs 90+ millions of PS4 consoles and nearly 35 millions of Switch.

There's a reason why Microsoft stopped reporting solid numbers.

Interesting that the gaming division could increase revenue. I thought that after all those recent acquisitions, Microsoft's gaming division would have some quarters of (slight) losses.

Acquisition costs may able to be amortized over multiple quarters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Net income $8.8 billion..... (or about $100 million profit per day).

Pretty sure they can scoop up a few devs.

MS makes so much money in a huge war chest, the biggest decisions they have isn't trying to make more money..... it's how to spend it..... buy up companies, special dividend (like that freebie $3/share special div 15 years ago), purposely open up new departments to make new product lines etc....

Net income $8.8 billion..... (or about $100 million profit per day).

Pretty sure they can scoop up a few devs.

MS makes so much money in a huge war chest, the biggest decisions they have isn't trying to make more money..... it's how to spend it..... buy up companies, special dividend (like that freebie $3/share special div 15 years ago), purposely open up new departments to make new product lines etc....

Microsoft could afford to launch 5 'moonshot' projects worth $10 billion each and have them all utterly fail and still arrive back at the same war chest several years later. What are the chances of all those moonshots failing?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Microsoft could afford to launch 5 'moonshot' projects worth $10 billion each and have them all utterly fail and still arrive back at the same war chest several years later. What are the chances of all those moonshots failing?
Zero, especially if it's aimed at businesses.

The whole cloud/Azure thing 10-15 years ago (whenever it got up and running) was probably some stupid idea someone came up with. And I bet a lot of workers at MS thought it would be a shitty product..... MS should just stick to selling MS Office stuff.

Now, their could services division is right up there. Give it another year or two and it should trend to be it's biggest product division.

Stuart360

Dont worry, someone will come in soon to 'explain' how these are really bad numbers and Xbox is doomed.
We don't need to spin anything.

Numbers say it all - 63 millions of live users including mobile and pc vs 90+ millions of PS4 consoles and nearly 35 millions of Switch.

There's a reason why Microsoft stopped reporting solid numbers.
RG0BS1U.gif

Top Bottom