• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S Graphics Comparison

Vasto

Microsoft Flight Simulator is releasing on Xbox Series X and S on July 27th. This stunning title was released last year on PC so this is our first look at Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S gameplay. Microsoft Flight Simulator Xbox Series X gameplay is compared to the Series S taking a look at a few side-by-side shots to get a good look at how the graphics of each compare.

AnotherOne

Game looks incredible on Series x but series s looks great for the little console that could.
dj khaled GIF by AMAs

This is setting the bar for what console games can look like.

Horizon 5 is going to have a hard time beating it, but I look forward to the competition.
Horizon 5 is multi-gen so I don't think it will beat this until the series moves to next gen and drops the old gen.
This game for some reason brings my 3080 to its knees. I hope they release some updates to improve the optimization on PC.

Kagey K

Banned
Horizon 5 is multi-gen so I don't think it will beat this until the series moves to next gen and drops the old gen.
This game for some reason brings my 3080 to its knees. I hope they release some updates to improve the optimization on PC.
There’s supposed to be some heavy optimizations coming to it tomorrow on Pc and then later down the line with a DX12 upgrade.

Game looks incredible on Series x but series s looks great for the little console that could.
dj khaled GIF by AMAs
Put some respect on the Series S FFS !!!!!
Cracking little console. It's like a pissed off chihuahua. It won't kill you but it'll take your fucking ankles off.

There’s supposed to be some heavy optimizations coming to it tomorrow on Pc and then later down the line with a DX12 upgrade.
tumblr_p4k5phvxEC1wf775uo1_250.gif

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Series S has no problems keeping up with the X. I dont expect 3rd parties to put a lot of effort into the system but 1st party games are going to look amazing on the Series S.

Microsoft will make sure of that. :messenger_winking:
Last of us 2 runs great on base ps4.

The concerned kids here, have no idea how games are developed.

The series S is much powerful than ps4 pro, and x1x. So how come, it can't handle next gen games?

It runs cyberpunk2077 better than x1x.

Topher

Gold Member
Flying a plane, which almost fries high end gaming pc.

Even cyberpunk2077 can't burn high end gaming pc, like flight simulator.
Last of us 2 runs great on base ps4.

The concerned kids here, have no idea how games are developed.

The series S is much powerful than ps4 pro, and x1x. So how come, it can't handle next gen games?

It runs cyberpunk2077 better than x1x.

Fries high end gaming PC but Series S has no problem? Are you claiming to be a developer?

Orta

Banned
Beautiful looking game, be interesting to see how the frame rate holds up on Series S but colour me impressed so far. The SX should ensure it looks better than anything on any console.

Stuart360

this "game" barley has any action going on or anything moving, you fly a plane while almost everything else is still
Whats that got to do with how demanding the game is?.
The fact the the XSX is running this game as well as it is, its an achievement in itself, nevermind the XSS.
This is by far the most demanding PC game yet. Way more demanding than Cyberpunk, and all the 'next gen' games released so far.

Change the record you insufferable people.

kingfey

Banned
Fries high end gaming PC but Series S has no problem? Are you claiming to be a developer?
Test bench
CPU:
Intel Core i7 9700K
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 2,666MHz effective
Storage: OS / 1TB WD Black SN750, Game / Addlink 1TB SATA
Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Formula Z390
Monitor: Asus XG32VQ
Yeah, 26fps. And on an RTX 2080, no less—Flight Sim's own 'ideal' graphics card.

Flight Sim is a brutal glimpse of what 'next-gen' gaming might look like. Yet whereas the growing requirement for graphics performance or storage space with the latest games is often chalked up to a catch-all 'lack of optimisation' (not often the case but that's an argument for another time), Microsoft Flight Sim's demands are far less undeserving as some others may seem.

While series S doesn't do 4k, its ability to run the game, gives its advantages of being able to run next gen games.

Topher

Gold Member
Test bench
CPU:
Intel Core i7 9700K
Yeah, 26fps. And on an RTX 2080, no less—Flight Sim's own 'ideal' graphics card.

Flight Sim is a brutal glimpse of what 'next-gen' gaming might look like. Yet whereas the growing requirement for graphics performance or storage space with the latest games is often chalked up to a catch-all 'lack of optimisation' (not often the case but that's an argument for another time), Microsoft Flight Sim's demands are far less undeserving as some others may seem.

While series S doesn't do 4k, its ability to run the game, gives its advantages of being able to run next gen games.

Requirements to run MS Flight Simulator on PC
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-4460 | AMD Ryzen 3 1200
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 770 | AMD Radeon RX 570
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 150 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: Intel i5-8400 | AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 970 | AMD Radeon RX 590

Let's be clear. On Xbox Series X|S, the game is running under DirectX 12 Ultimate. On PC, for some reason, the game is running DirectX 11. Regardless, the requirements to play that game are far below Xbox X|S.

You didn't answer if you were a dev or not. You claimed to know how "games are developed".

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
  • MINIMUM:
  • RECOMMENDED:

Let's be clear. On Xbox Series X|S, the game is running under DirectX 12 Ultimate. On PC, for some reason, the game is running DirectX 11. Regardless, the requirements to play that game are far below Xbox X|S.

You didn't answer if you were a dev or not. You claimed to know what how "games are developed".
I told you, that the game is simply having issues with high end pc gaming to achieve 4k. That is how strong the game is.

You can play the game at minimum. But in order to achieve the high settings, be prepared your pc to fry.

The series S is running the game at the optimized level. Higher than the minimum requirements for the game.

If it can handle it, next gen games won't be issues.

Great Hair

Banned
Best looking flight simulator, I agree. It looks brilliant, but it doesn't have to worry about any animations at all. So best looking console game ever? I disagree. But hey....opinions.
Has nothing to render but a highly detailed airplane. The volumetric clouds are static and the ground (like on PC), once too close, everything will look like those fishermen in Spiderman.

iu

What´s the CPU doing? Is the physic any good? The S has definitely a blurrier picture, well below 1080p. Gonna wait for NGX to review it. This game must barely touch the CPU if at all?

Stuart360

• MINIMUM:
  • RECOMMENDED:

You didn't answer if you were a dev or not. You claimed to know how "games are developed".
Did you just use requirements to try and prove a point?. My PC is way above the reccomended requirements there are i run the game at 1080p/30 with high settings.
Steam specs mean very little for a lot of games, and mean zero with this game. Those 'reccomended' specs would bring you like 900p/30 with medium settings, maybe even low settings. And the 'minimum settings, well we are in N64 level lol.

Topher

Gold Member
I told you, that the game is simply having issues with high end pc gaming to achieve 4k. That is how strong the game is.

You can play the game at minimum. But in order to achieve the high settings, be prepared your pc to fry.

The series S is running the game at the optimized level. Higher than the minimum requirements for the game.

If it can handle it, next gen games won't be issues.

And so just like every other game out there, it all depends on the levels that you want to run the game at. There is a top end and a bottom end. You are referencing a year old article that isn't even talking about high end PC anymore. Beyond that, it will be interesting to see how things shake out on the PC side when the game is finally running under DirectX 12.

And how is it that a Microsoft first party game isn't running their latest SDK? I've read a number of posts about how "tools" can make so much difference. MSFS on PC isn't utilizing the latest "tools"?

Did you just use requirements to try and prove a point?. My PC is way above the reccomended requirements there are i run the game at 1080p/30 with high settings.
Steam specs mean very little for a lot of games, and mean zero with this game. Those 'reccomended' specs would bring you like 900p/30 with medium settings, maybe even low settings. And the 'minimum settings, well we are in N64 level lol.

Then we shouldn't be surprised that Xbox Series S can run the game fine at 1080p/30, should we?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Then we shouldn't be surprised that Xbox Series S can run the game fine at 1080p/30, should we?
Hoiw did you get that from what i said?

Look i'm not getting involved with the tedious shitposting by the usual suspects in Xbox threads. Fact is this is byfar the most demading videogame yet, and will be more demanding than probably 90% of all next gen games released this gen.
XSS runs it fantastic. End of fucking story.

elliot5

Has nothing to render but a highly detailed airplane. The volumetric clouds are static and the ground (like on PC), once too close, everything will look like those fishermen in Spiderman.

iu

What´s the CPU doing? Is the physic any good? The S has definitely a blurrier picture, well below 1080p. Gonna wait for NGX to review it. This game must barely touch the CPU if at all?
yeah dude a simulator barely fucking touches the CPU stellar hypothesis

yamaci17

And so just like every other game out there, it all depends on the levels that you want to run the game at. There is a top end and a bottom end. You are referencing a year old article that isn't even talking about high end PC anymore. Beyond that, it will be interesting to see how things shake out on the PC side when the game is finally running under DirectX 12.

And how is it that a Microsoft first party game isn't running their latest SDK? I've read a number of posts about how "tools" can make so much difference. MSFS on PC isn't utilizing the latest "tools"?

dx12 wont be coming to pc version with this patch

but they said improvements are on its way. we shall see how that turns out. i dont have high hopes

Topher

Gold Member
Hoiw did you get that from what i said?

Look i'm not getting involved with the tedious shitposting by the usual suspects in Xbox threads. Fact is this is byfar the most demading videogame yet, and will be more demanding than probably 90% of all next gen games released this gen.
XSS runs it fantastic. End of fucking story.

"My PC is way above the reccomended requirements there are i run the game at 1080p/30 with high settings."

I have no idea why you are offended or confused.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Prior to this update, the engine was very unoptimized and even if PC isn't getting DX12 this update it is still getting the engine rewrite code. CPU optimizations are inbound for everyone and that's why it can run well on Xbox to begin with.

Exactly right. This is why I'm saying comparisons to PC, at this point, do not make much sense.

yamaci17

iu

no, series s looks just like how native 1080p looks

it has nothing to do with Series S, its just how 1080p render looks like these days due to temporal anti aliasing. most games will look noticeably blurry at 1080p and below

sx probably pushes 2160p so ofc it will look sharper, even on a 1080p screen you will notice it due to supersampling /

Stuart360

"My PC is way above the reccomended requirements there are i run the game at 1080p/30 with high settings."

I have no idea why you are offended or so confused.
Whats my PC got to do with the XSS?. My PC is considerably more powerful than XSS, and i have to settle for 1080p/30.

Topher

Gold Member
Whats my PC got to do with the XSS?. My PC is considerably more powerful than XSS, and i have to settle for 1080p/30.

XSS has DirectX 12 optimizations. Your PC does not. The two code bases are not the same. This is why XSS runs the game so well. I made this point in the first post you quoted.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

The Xbox Series S has been geared towards outputting 1440p at 60Hz, up to a maximum refresh rate of 120Hz. It can upscale the picture to 4K to match your 4K TV, but you won't be able to see next-gen games in native 4K.

We haven't seen 3rd party, utilizing what the series S can do.

Here is gears 5 hivebusters on series S.

"On top of amazing visuals (level of detail, effects, etc.), the game mantains an absolute rock-solid 60 fps effortlessly. Simply outstanding. Funnily enough, as shown is this video, this version seems to have the most solid framerate of all of them, at his resolution of up to 1440p. See the "Performance Stress Segment" of the video for this (from 8:12 approximately)." From resetera.

cyberpunk2077 on series S

I heard the dx12 is geared for the windows 11 for pc. As for series consoles, I have no idea what they are still doing with it. Maybe more improvements? i cant really answer about it that much.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Test bench
CPU:
Intel Core i7 9700K

One, using PC gamer as a source for anything about Microsoft Flight Simulator is a very bad idea. According to them, to "engage the autopilot" you have to turn on the AI copilot. Lol. Please don't let these charlatans anywhere near an aircraft I'm flying on. When you write a guide and get it horribly wrong, it's one thing. But when you write a guide and get it horribly wrong, and don't correct it for a year despite everyone telling you you're an idiot in the comments, it takes a special kind of top-tier idiot.

That being said, the PC version was not very well optimized. It took them a long time to get it right (simulators are VERY complex software, so no surprise there). Tomorrow's update that will come at the same time as the Xbox version will also include the optimization done to make it run on Xbox, and they have already shown that it nearly doubles framerate (I imagine this can vary depending on the rig you use) and removes stutters without even needing DX12.

Last edited:

Stuart360

XSS has DirectX 12 optimizations. Your PC does not. The two code bases are not the same. This is why XSS runs the game so well.
How much do you think DX12 improves framerate?, the most i have seen between 11 ands 12 was in Division 2 where 12 gave me 4-5 frames extra. In fact in a lot of games 11 runs better than 12 still.

End of the day, i'll be surprised if there are 10 'next gen' games released this gen that are more demanding than Flight Simulator, and lickle XSS runs FS beautifully.
Thats simply where we are at.

Topher

Gold Member
How much do you think DX12 improves framerate?, the most i have seen between 11 ands 12 was in Division 2 where 12 gave me 4-5 frames extra. In fact in a lot of games 11 runs better than 12 still.

End of the day, i'll be surprised if there are 10 'next gen' games released this gen that are more demanding than Flight Simulator, and lickle XSS runs FS beautifully.
Thats simply where we are at.

Considering Flight Simulator is heavily bound by CPU and DirectX 12 has a lot more functionality to handle parallel threads....yeah, I expect a good deal of improvement. I think we will see this improvement on Xbox consoles carry over to PC when they get around to it. Not every game has the CPU demands MSFS does and so the upgrade to DX12U will be welcome. Regardless, when that happens, only then will we be able to truly compare.

hlm666

Video of pc update with 2060 performance gains.

kingfey

Banned
One, using PC gamer as a source for anything about Microsoft Flight Simulator is a very bad idea. According to them, to engage the autopilot you have to turn on the AI copilot. Lol. Please don't let these charlatans anywhere near an aircraft.

That being said, the PC version was not very well optimized. It took them a long time to Tomorrow's update that will come at the same time as the Xbox version will also include the optimization done to make it run on Xbox, and they have already shown that it nearly doubles framerate (I imagine this can vary depending on the rig you use) and removes stutters without even needing DX12.
Gamers will destroy any thing they play on their games, in real life.

When I started flight simulator, it was too complicated. might need more research, how to actually fly the damn thing. Downloading it now. Will give it a go again.

Also for the autopilot, dont you need to press certain buttons? and also make sure you are in the right spot for auto pilot. Been seeing these type of thing in the movies. Unless they are also wrong.

Top Bottom