• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - United States World Update Trailer

Today, the world in Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting another major update, this time across the United States of America.

World Update II: This US update features an improved digital elevation model with resolution up to one meter, along with new aerial textures for significantly better appearance in several states across the country. Add to that, four new hand-crafted airports (Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Friday Harbor, and New York Stewart), visual and logical improvements to 48 more airports, plus 50 new high-fidelity POIs, and your state-side journey is sure to be stunning.

This update will be FREE to all Microsoft Flight Simulator players.

Beautiful trailer.

Rick Monster

Neo Member
Haven't played this yet. Is there a mod so I can fly around like an angel come down from heaven? Swoop through the air like a disembodied soul? Like God come down to visit the puny humans and to take in the breathtaking sights? Superman mod, basically.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Haven't played this yet. Is there a mod so I can fly around like an angel come down from heaven? Swoop through the air like a disembodied soul? Like God come down to visit the puny humans and to take in the breathtaking sights? Superman mod, basically.
I would love a jetpack mod or something like that. Let me fly around the awesome world, but with the wingsuit/jet-pack combo from Just Cause 3. It's a stunning game, it really is a technical achievement, but I really just plain don't care about flying the planes that are in the game, or really, planes in general. But I would race through the Grand Canyon in a heartbeat if I had a jet-pack with proper/fun physics.

Last edited:
Getting this to run well on Series X would be a HUGE win for Xbox. Technically, I’m sure it’s no small feat to get it on consoles, and though I’m disappointed there hasn’t been much news of it’s Xbox appearance....I’m not all that surprised.

Tschumi

It occurred to me yesterday when I saw this on steam: this game had the shortest hype window i can remember. i'm not trying to put it down or make u feels bad, vyse, i'm just commenting that when it came out it was a real talking point... but it only seemed to last a very short time.. funny how things like that go~ I'm happy for those who are deep into this sim at this point and will welcome these content updates.

It occurred to me yesterday when I saw this on steam: this game had the shortest hype window i can remember. i'm not trying to put it down or make u feels bad, vyse, i'm just commenting that when it came out it was a real talking point... but it only seemed to last a very short time.. funny how things like that go~ I'm happy for those who are deep into this sim at this point and will welcome these content updates.

I’d say judging the by the volume and consistency of the calls for this to come to the Series consoles that the hype is hardly spent for this title. And when the console announcement is made the hype that you say has evaporated will see quite the resurgence. Just saw you created a “dead hype” thread where you mentioned this title specifically. Curious.

TVexperto

because unfortunately each patch since launch broke the game even more.

asobo should have never used the flight simulator x code as the foundation for this game. they have no idea how to fix the broken flight model physics

Last edited:

Tschumi

I’d say judging the by the volume and consistency of the calls for this to come to the Series consoles that the hype is hardly spent for this title. And when the console announcement is made the hype that you say has evaporated will see quite the resurgence. Just saw you created a “dead hype” thread where you mentioned this title specifically. Curious.
I had a disclaimer in there that i just had that idea touched off by my appreciation of this game, i wasn't trying to say anything definitive.. as i mentioned.

I have no doubt they will get it up and running on the XSX. It is powerful enough, but I wonder what they will do about the RAM?

The RAM usage is fairly extreme. It will use 11ishGB VRAM - and as a side note before someone says "that's just allocated VRAM it's not really using that much" You can actually check with this game. There is a debug mode and you can see both allocated and dedicated VRAM... and they're close. Only about 400mb difference between them. If it's allocated 10.8GB VRAM then the dedicated VRAM will be about 10.4GB. 4K ultra settings obviously.

And the system RAM can be VERY high. I've seen it up around the 21-22GB range. Remember when 16GB seemed like a luxurious amount of RAM to have?

So there's going to have to be some lowering of the settings or other kinds of optimizations to get this running on a console.

Also this game NEEDS DX12 ASAP. The game is severely CPU bound using DX11.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting on tht TLOU2 vs FS2020 comparison from our favorite warrior.

Y6Y1GC4.jpg

Top Bottom