• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

VFXVeteran

Banned
The Gamepass version through the MS store. It's stuck with the blue loading bar. I've tried everything.

Just updated more things, still the same. The pc is more than capable.

Just bollocks.

So did it install already and you are just trying to load it up? Did you download the latest graphics drivers?

McCheese

Can't even play this, updated just fine but then the loading bar just goes to 40% and never budges, chews up 30% CPU so it's doing/waiting for something. Tried running as admin, running offline, nothing gets that bar to move past 40%. Tempted to refund from MS Store and buy Steam version if a complete re-install doesn't help.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Can't even play this, updated just fine but then the loading bar just goes to 40% and never budges, chews up 30% CPU so it's doing/waiting for something. Tried running as admin, running offline, nothing gets that bar to move past 40%. Tempted to refund from MS Store and buy Steam version if a complete re-install doesn't help.

Steam version is just a connection to the MS Store. I never had a problem downloading the sim (the 90G part). But I did have to reboot my machine when it first went into the menus to set up everything.

Make sure you guys updated to the latest Nvidia drivers that came out yesterday. I also had a MS WIndows 10 update earlier this week. If you have that turned off, you might want to turn it on and update.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Gamepass version through the MS store. It's stuck with the blue loading bar. I've tried everything.

Just bollocks.
Did you run it as a admin?

M1chl

Aye, tried it all M1chl. Giving up for tonight, i'll try again in the morning.
Worked for me on first try and I am on Insider Build which does not bode well with GamePass games with anti-cheat. Well hopefully tomorrow is going to be better day : )

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
srsly just go steam version. If the windows store hates you ur fucked.
I can't for the life of me install halo wars 2 on my pc a game I PAID for. It's hilarious

M1chl

srsly just go steam version. If the windows store hates you ur fucked.
I can't for the life of me install halo wars 2 on my pc a game I PAID for. It's hilarious
Isn't the situation basically same, since they are both basically just a launchers. Like a Launcher on top of the launcher. Maybe try to force update Windows, since sometimes Windows does not want to update.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Isn't the situation basically same, since they are both basically just a launchers. Like a Launcher on top of the launcher. Maybe try to force update Windows, since sometimes Windows does not want to update.
hmm if that's the case ur still fucked :pie_roffles:
I remember people having issues with NOT being in the latest updated windows 10 version.
Some OEM build pc's don't get the latest win updates yet.

Last edited:

M1chl

hmm if that's the case ur still fucked :pie_roffles:
I remember people having issues with NOT being in the latest updated windows 10 version.
Some OEM build pc's don't get the latest win updates yet.
Yeah it's really quite an experience, specially on Win10 Home....

Enjoying this so far but man the initial load time is horrendous. I'm sure it takes me ten minutes to get behind the yoke, maybe more. It puts me off a little bit.... And now I'm out of time and didn't get to play!

amigastar

Enjoying this so far but man the initial load time is horrendous. I'm sure it takes me ten minutes to get behind the yoke, maybe more. It puts me off a little bit.... And now I'm out of time and didn't get to play!
Yeah, loading times are a bit long, i hope when it comes out on Consoles (maybe XSX) the loading times will be optimized for SSD's also on PC.

Deto

Banned
After Gears Tactics and Age of Empires, now it's FS that comes out on the PC and nothing on the xbox.

bUt gAmEpAsS

But the important thing is to keep believing in Astroturfing Fake news on twitter /s

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Same here. I'm hoping that the M2 coming in the mail will help that.

What's your internet speed? Obviously when you loading a new area, the game is downloading the scenery from the internet. Loading times take few minutes (3-4? I need to check it) but it's more then acceptable taking into account that once you're in you'll be flying for a long time.

(I got it installed on NVME drive)

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
After Gears Tactics and Age of Empires, now it's FS that comes out on the PC and nothing on the xbox.

bUt gAmEpAsS

But the important thing is to keep believing in Astroturfing Fake news on twitter /s
giphy.gif

Shai-Tan

Banned

Just bollocks.

same issue, probably some bug or the servers just getting hammered

edit: if you do it enough it will finally load the menu asking where to install the supplementary content. then it might still crash but if it gets stuck on load just close and restart and eventually it will open the menu to start downloading the data

Last edited:

M1chl

Yikes! What settings is that? I'm surprised it isn't using detailed textures. When I look down at the ground in the mountains, it's highly detailed.
That's not going to be affected by details in-game that's what you get with Ai generated world.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Yikes! What settings is that? I'm surprised it isn't using detailed textures. When I look down at the ground in the mountains, it's highly detailed.
It's a flight sim. Unless the location was hand-modeled, it's not going to look good up close. Lots and lots of places in the game look like that up close.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Fact is, it doesn't make any difference. I know because I bought the Steam version, ran into the same problem. Refunded the Steam version, tried to install through MS store, same problem..

Now I've reinstalled Windows 10, a completely fresh install. Downloading MSFS2020 as we speak, if it works I'll give an update.

Anyway, if you didn't try, run Win in safe mode and see how it goes. For some reason I skipped that part..

nemiroff

Gold Member

Some cities are based on photogrammetry models/textures of various quality instead of satellite data + AI + autogen. Shit in = Shit out. Good thing is that eventually these cities will be more and more polished as soon as photogrammetry resources are improved and updated.

The really cool thing about FS2020's technology is that In theory down the line there's no huge barriers to stop it from looking like it does when you're walking down the street. I remember MS used to toy around with photogrammetry pulling people's public photos on the internet as resources to build highly detailed models of buildings.

Right now we can also use third party addons for detailed improvements, I believe f.ex. Orbx already has a London city upgrade in the marketplace (don't know anything about it though).

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Some cities are based on photogrammetry of various quality. Shit in = Shit out. Good thing is that eventually these cities will be polished as soon as photogrammetry resources are updated.
Are people New to flight sims? This is a given, these games look good in the air, this one isnt diferent

Redlancet

Banned
30 bucks for a plane, 19 for an airport,dont freak out, this is normal in this kind of game

DQ1iN75.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Control alt delete it, then run it as an administrator, worked for me last night
Dude, I've tried, and I mean tried, everything. Twenty or more times over.

I had another hour trying just now, in my efforts I even got this error a couple of times.

SVmPS02.jpg

Me and Microsoft just dont get on. I've always had some fucking weird problems involving their shit

MS, just have a normal install for fuck sake, why do you have to be an arsehole.

Fuck you!!! (Really wanted to try this tonight)

Last edited:
Top Bottom