• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

Nor did I, especially people imploding because one dares to point out that the graphics are extremely impressive but have flaws and this isn't THE GAME WITH THE BEST GRAPHICS OF ALL GAMES EVAH. 🤔
It is good to see this title has fans.

I love the look of this game cannot wait to explore the Earth like this but I would not be one to make those claims since you need the highest powered PC and Perfect Internet connection to get the best visuals. Still I don't mind dreaming that someday someone will do something like this for open world car racing games.

I am pretty sure this game can only improve over time so it will look even better in the future with many updates

Stuart360

I hope they add some super fast military planes in future updates. Can you imagine flying low to the ground, at incredible speeds, like that Clint Eastwood film 'FireFox'?, it would be orgasmic!.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I hope they add some super fast military planes in future updates. Can you imagine flying low to the ground, at incredible speeds, like that Clint Eastwood film 'FireFox'?, it would be orgasmic!.

That would be like what you call a videogame.
this is a flight simulator for serious people.
Shoo 🧐

i just visited my home town i used roads to navigate. It looks good and super bad at the same time 😍

RPS37

I don’t even think I have enough space left on my 500GB SSD for this but I have zero self control.
Is it on steam and is it play anywhere on steam?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It is good to see this title has fans.

I love the look of this game cannot wait to explore the Earth like this but I would not be one to make those claims since you need the highest powered PC and Perfect Internet connection to get the best visuals. Still I don't mind dreaming that someday someone will do something like this for open world car racing games.

I am pretty sure this game can only improve over time so it will look even better in the future with many updates

Yeah, they already announced that it's going to get free "world updates" that will focus on improving specific regions as time goes on.

And then there are third-party addons. They already released one that improves London massively (default London is a bit meh, IMHO). I got it and it's very nice. Worth the €7.99 for me, but of course people's mileage may vary here. I also got the London City airport that was released by the same developer today and they make a very good pair.

Last edited:

They have 3rd party partners who only create Military planes for sims so I am sure that will show up soon enough in the shop

Last edited:
Yeah, they already announced that it's going to get free "world updates" that will focus on improving specific regions as time goes on.

And then there are third-party addons. They already released one that improves London massively (default London is a bit meh, IMHO). I got it and it's very nice. Worth the €7.99 for me, but of course people's mileage may vary here. I also got the London City airport that was released by the same developer today and they make a very good pair.

yeah mostly the 3rd parties are the ones to watch out for, the platform is already solid but the bread and butter sales for 3rd Parties is how pretty and realistic they can make a popular region or niche sim market

So this being the next big thing in flight sims I am sure they are going to go hard on many regions.

I have not played the game but I have followed many youtube flight sim channels to see there is a lot of room to grow and improve this title.

It is a very impressive start

Stare-Bear

Banned
So far it’s stuck on downloading content in the content manager.

With Microsofts servers behind the game I really thought It could handle a couple of game downloads without a sweat. 🙄

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So far it’s stuck on downloading content in the content manager.

With Microsofts servers behind the game I really thought It could handle a couple of game downloads without a sweat. 🙄

I've been losing connection in and out all day, but I guess it's natural launch day woes.

It has been stable until today.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Can't wait to play it. Installation has been pretty brutal, but i get it for something like this. VR would be insane, maybe even better without the planes. Just flying free exploring the world like you would in a dream would be mind blowing.

Man I had it preinstalled and it has me downloading 91.36gb of data lol

I don't mind since I was about to roll up and take the dog out to pee real, but jesus lol

This feels like CODMW, where you thought you had it installed, but when you hit launch it loads a screen where it wants to install more shit lol

Last edited:

M.W.

Jesus fuck I can't stop playing. I've been going from city to city taking photos of stadiums via the drone cam. Went to the field of dreams too...

IMG-20200817-230607.jpg

IMG-20200817-230650.jpg

Tschumi

I just don't like the game much. Been playing ms flight sim since the 90s, got tired of it in 2004. I've said it half a dozen times, i wish it was a pilot simulator.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Finally letting me install the full game here on the West Coast in the US. Got a bit of a wait, but I'm excited to play the game tonight. Game Pass for PC is a pretty great service. Getting games like Gears Tactics and FS2020 really sweetens the deal.

At this point, the download isn't exactly going fast. I'm guessing I'm in for at least another hour or 2 download and install. This could be a good time to exercise and drink some water.

hollams

Gold Member
Man I had it preinstalled and it has me downloading 91.36gb of data lol

I don't mind since I was about to roll up and take the dog out to pee real, but jesus lol

This feels like CODMW, where you thought you had it installed, but when you hit launch it loads a screen where it wants to install more shit lol
Me too. I got my Hotas out and ready to go, then sit and wait for an hour.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No it doesn't. The Sony fans say otherwise. It's not an exclusive, has no art direction (needs to be cartoony), and well, you can't walk down the street and see detailed buildings.

You left out it doesn't cinematic cut scenes. How can it be considered to have spectacular graphics when it's not filled with tons of dramatic CGI?

On the plus side, I suspect it will have a much better story than the clichéd Sony wanna-be movies.

Shmunter

You left out it doesn't cinematic cut scenes. How can it be considered to have spectacular graphics when it's not filled with tons of dramatic CGI?

On the plus side, I suspect it will have a much better story than the clichéd Sony wanna-be movies.
Meeeyowww! Put those claws away before you nick someone. 😅

Tevious

I'm just getting setup on the game now. It kept getting stuck on this screen and the bar wouldn't make any progress:

CZVpV8w.jpg

It's probably due to high traffic. People having the issue have said it finally works after a few reboots. Eventually you'll get a screen to download 91.36GB update.
I think I'm going to head out and grab a flight stick while this downloads.

Edit: Administration Mode does not fix the issue. Just keep rebooting the game.

Last edited:
I'm just getting setup on the game now. It kept getting stuck on this screen and the bar wouldn't make any progress:

CZVpV8w.jpg

It's probably due to high traffic. People having the issue have said it finally works after a few reboots. Eventually you'll get a screen to download 91.36GB update.

I had exactly the same, restarted it in administrator mode and the problem went away.

Tevious

I had exactly the same, restarted it in administrator mode and the problem went away.
I saw that suggested as well. Restarting in Administrator mode did nothing for me, though. I don't think that's the solution, rather the person who said that worked originally was just lucky that it worked when they restarted.

Last edited:

Jadsey

CZVpV8w.jpg

I have exactly the same problem...can't get it to even load.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Same................................................................ Although I'm going out to pick up my extra 16GB of RAM.

Keep rebooting the game. It should work eventually. Took me 4 times before I got past that part. Now I'm downloading the large update file.

Wait, so this is not the game downloading assets..? It's just a boot screen?

Edit: I reset/rebooted the app two times and finally the proper download interface appeared. Weird.

gPTzD5P.png

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

My dad wants a flight simulator and asked the other day again. Its the only game he’s interested in and Pro Evoluton on PS1 lol.

Maybe I need to convince him to get a PC or Series X when all the bugs are ironed out.
Be good to see this on the PS5 like how MLB is going multi plat

Gaz

CZVpV8w.jpg

FYI- to fix this, quit and run the game as administrator. Fixed it for me

GHG

Gold Member
PSA:

If you are buying through steam do not buy the deluxe or premium edition.

A lot of people are having a problem where its not registering that they bought the extra content and are being asked to buy the stuff again in game.

The reviews aren't pretty on Steam at the moment.

Probably just going to download via gamepass for now until they sort this out.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Downloading it right now, really curious to see how my new PC will fare against this beast.

Side note: If you don't run the game for the first time on the PC as an administrator, there's a good chance the installation will freeze and will not proceed.

Nothing that can't be patched, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
oh man this download is gonna take a while.

4.26GB out of 91.63GB

PSA:

If you are buying through steam do not buy the deluxe or premium edition.

A lot of people are having a problem where its not registering that they bought the extra content and are being asked to buy the stuff again in game.

The reviews aren't pretty on Steam at the moment.

Probably just going to download via gamepass for now until they sort this out.
lol.

i've got it on Gamepass just to try it out (only cost me £1 for a month). if i'm happy with the performance my PC gives me then i'll buy it on Steam when gamepass runs out in exactly a month.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
look at the load my PC is under just downloading stuff. jeez. i'm dreading to see what it's like when i actually start playing :D

4AX71Lf.jpg

mcjmetroid

Man is it not possible to shut off that damn song when you're downloading the content? Really?
Yes I can turn down the sound but then I can't watch any videos etc. And it's 91gb of content.

Top Bottom