• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

zbtVaCa.png

Romulus

I think visually, this is the greatest accomplishment in gaming history. I know some games look better here and there, but to provide an entire planet of really high-quality vistas, accuracy, and weather? I'm blown away. And to the think of the all the gameplay additions that could come via DLC or free is just mind-blowing. Can't wait to play it in VR. From the first simple VR sim I played, I knew the potential immediately.

Redlancet

Banned
I think us console players will lap this up as there is nothing like it on console currantly. It’s a nice change of pace. I guess there will be missions to do on it but a free roam mode would be great on console to
Maybe there isnt anything like this for a reason, thats why there isnt a uboat simulator, and i love both of those

I think visually, this is the greatest accomplishment in gaming history.

It's not strictly using local hardware but partly dedicated azure cloud tech.

Which is a shame that no reviews so far has discussed how much of this playable offline. How dependent is the user on MS's cloud server? How does this look offline? etc.

Redlancet

Banned
Woah, why people are Comparing the graphics of a flight sim with other games? This is pretty stupid, this game is a pc game, sure there is a xbox versión planned but in his core its a pc game, its one of these rare exclusives who take advantage of powerfull rigs, this saga dont need any stupid console wars, not gamepass hare krisnas or playstation fans using this as a measure for anything, just leave the game alone, we dont hac many like these

Which is a shame that no reviews so far has discussed how much of this playable offline. How dependent is the user on MS's cloud server? How does this look offline? etc.

They have discussed it, at least the ones I've watched. You need good bandwidth to get the most out of it. Offline is not even worth bothering with unless you don't care about accurate representation of the world around you.

bender

What time is it?
They have discussed it, at least the ones I've watched. You need good bandwidth to get the most out of it. Offline is not even worth bothering with unless you don't care about accurate representation of the world around you.

Understandable and disappointing at the same time.

Stuart360

As far as i understand it, you can play the whole game offline, and it uses standard textures and stuff. I dont exactly know what that means, or what it will look like. I know they have created a ton of assets and trees and grass etc.
All the vids i have seen has been with the data streaming.

Abear21

Banned
Just another open world game with lots of empty spaces!

Serious question though, I know this game utilizes satellite images in spots, so is this the first title to really utilize Microsoft’s cloud computing, is this still a thing?

Edit:never mind read my answer above sorry!

Last edited:

Sakura

It's way too fucking hard to fly these planes. At least with mouse and keyboard. No idea what I'm doing.

mcz117chief

aOjTtJ6.jpg

All part of the fun! I've never actually got a rocket to any other planet in Kerbal, dont have a clue..! it's my most played game on Steam though
Not even the Mun? How many hours have you spent? I got less than 100 (75 actually, just checked) and went to many planets, built a space station and whatnot. Kerbal Space Program is actually quite trivial in general.

Last edited:

Dolomite

It’s a lot harder to do both well, that’s why MS took a long break on the PC IPs to focus on console, halo took them so much recourses and they can’t even do it the way they expected, time for a Very long break for that And build the momentum on the pc focused projects, all the pc titles can also be ported to the consoles anyway so they will still have games for the Xbox, but less projects to manage and they can take their time to rebuild halo in 10+ years if they still want to revisit this development trouble again.
Harder for whom? You say this like MS aren't 1.6 Trillion dollar software monsters, or like ....a game division with dozens of sub divisions... can't develope for more than one architecture. Of this was Sony or Nintendo, maybe but MS is...you know quite literally...PC and the Xbox is their console.

Why are people console warring in the Flight Sim 2020 thread? It's a fantastic game on many levels. Is it the best looking game? Who knows, who cares. It's a massive technical achievement especially considering it's scope. Mods should deal with this crap. We don't need people using review threads as a proxy for console wars.

Dr.Morris79

Not even the Mun? How many hours have you spent? I got less than 100 (75 actually, just checked) and went to many planets, built a space station and whatnot. Kerbal Space Program is actually quite trivial in general.
About 62 :/

Most of that was just perfecting craft and trying to maintain orbit.

nyr88nyg

Banned
I would get a series X if this is on it. I am that hyped. My laptop is few years old and I won’t get the full experience.

Three

Does anyone know if this is going to have VR support? I'm not a fan of flight sims myself but those insane visuals in VR would make for one hell of an immersive and mindblowing experience that I'd have to pick it up.
It will later on I think. It was confirmed.

nyr88nyg

Banned
The game is 152.4gb, for anyone interested. Going to preinstall it on Gamepass later.
I’m going to sound like an idiot here but when you “pre-load” or install before launch, is it supposed to download the whole 152 gb? I signed up for game pass today and I hit pre-load for this and it only downloaded like 2 gigs. Now the button says “play” and when I hit it, it says I need to wait for launch. I don’t understand why it won’t download the whole thing.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
This game gonna be a good benchmark when i build my RTX 3080 pc end of this year, it looks phenomenal.

Stuart360

I’m going to sound like an idiot here but when you “pre-load” or install before launch, is it supposed to download the whole 152 gb? I signed up for game pass today and I hit pre-load for this and it only downloaded like 2 gigs. Now the button says “play” and when I hit it, it says I need to wait for launch. I don’t understand why it won’t download the whole thing.
Yeah i talked about this earlier. It just downloaded 1gb of data. I expected to download the whole thing with it saying 'Preinstall now!'.
Someone found a way of changing your region and being able to download it, but i'm just going to wait for release. It will only take about 2.5 hours for me to download.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Yeah i talked about this earlier. It just downloaded 1gb of data. I expected to download the whole thing with it saying 'Preinstall now!'.
Someone found a way of changing your region and being able to download it, but i'm just going to wait for release. It will only take about 2.5 hours for me to download.
I tried that. I changed my region to Australia and used a VPN. Got an error code when trying to install.

Guess I’ll install and sleep.

Dude was humbling himself before you to try to help make you feel better... and you decide to grind him into the dirt... Well, that's one way to try to make a friend I guess...

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I did the pre-install for Game Pass PC and instead of downloading the whole 150GB it listed, it only downloaded about 2GB. I'm guessing this is for a launcher that will download the rest later on? This game looks incredible. It would be awesome to have a flight stick, but those look a bit spendy for some of the decent/nicer setups.

Stuart360

yup its a pc game ,playing this with a gamepad its a inferior experience,the same way elite dangerous and any sim ported to console
Eh?, gamepads are really good for flying games, and much better than K&M imo. Joysticks and flight sticks are better than both though obviously.

Sakura

I did the pre-install for Game Pass PC and instead of downloading the whole 150GB it listed, it only downloaded about 2GB. I'm guessing this is for a launcher that will download the rest later on? This game looks incredible. It would be awesome to have a flight stick, but those look a bit spendy for some of the decent/nicer setups.
Yeah. It is just a launcher, then you launch the game and it download and installs through there, not via the app. Took a bit of time too. Not sure why they don't just let you pre-install.

Redlancet

Banned
Eh?, gamepads are really good for flying games, and much better than K&M imo. Joysticks and flight sticks are better than both though obviously.
id been playing flight sims since the speccy days and if you are a flight sim aficionado you have a good hotas,thats for sure,btw u need keyboard on a flight sim

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
But its still coming to xbox and nobody knows if flight sticks will be comparable or brought to xbox
a lot of xbox fanbase its using this game just for graphics braggin,id wanna see them having a 4 hour flight from city to city,this isnt ace combat,you can even crash the planes ,im the first who wants this kind of game to be popular again,that wont happen,and dont get me wrong if this game was a playstation one i will say the same,flight sims and good flight sims like this one are niche thing,for a kind of player its not usual on console circles

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I would use the mouse to control the plane, with the mouse wheel as the the rudder, and i thought it played fine like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom