• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

Senua

The scope is not a factor in graphical beauty. Whether those games render the entire planet or not has no bearing on which game has the better-looking graphics. Microsoft Flight Simulator's graphics are an extremely impressive technical achievement, but they're not the "best ever by far."

Trailers don't tell the whole story. You have not played the game. You should likely stop arguing with someone who did (extensively) and take a step back.

Here's Seattle from up close at maximum settings, and it's one of the most detailed cities of the game. Impressive? Yes. Best ever? Nope.

0KoAQss.jpg
Mate considering the scope of this game, thats like zooming right into an individual grass blade in TLOU2 and saying LOL LOOK AT THIS WEAK SHIT. they are giving you the ENTIRE world for the first time in a game, you think it's all going to look like TLOU2 close up? what ridiculous standards you have for this game, think for a second.

Last edited:

INC

Trailer looks absolutely amazing, great reviews too. Massive temptation to get some gear and get into it but I cannot shake the vivid image in my mind of not being able to figure out how to push back from the parking stall and never getting airborne

It has a casual mode i believe, so u can just fly on a pad.......I think?

Bryank75

Banned
You're talking about art style Bryank. Flight Simulator's art style is 'Reality'.
Nobody is downplaying the game, but you have to consider there is far less work that goes into an airplanes wing or cockpit (less geometry, texture etc etc) than a human face, clothing... it has the benefit of being miles away from most of the assets on the topography, so it doesn't undergo the same scrutiny.....

So basically all that has to be rendered in very high detail is the plane model.

It is a beautiful game. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Show me a Spiderman screenshot that has that much detail and lighting being physically plausible.

Oh please. Let's be real. The rendering of the world of Spider-man is MUCH more detailed, and that's natural. It'd be extremely surprising if it wasn't.

Mate considering the scope of this game, thats like zooming right into an individual grass blade in TLOU2 and saying LOL LOOK AT THIS WEAK SHIT. they are giving you the ENTIRE world for the first time in a game, you think it's all going to look like TLOU2 close up? what ridiculous standards you have for this game, think for a second.

Again, the scope of the game has zero influence on the beauty of the graphics.

If you told me "this is the game with the biggest scope of all time while retaining gorgeous graphics in a lot of sitiuations" I'd say "yep, it is. 100%"

But that's not what I've been responding to. That's "this is the game with the best graphics of all time, by far." which it simply isn't unless you look it exclusively at its best. You folks are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Nobody is downplaying the game, but you have to consider there is far less work that goes into an airplanes wing or cockpit (less geometry, texture etc etc) than a human face, clothing... it has the benefit of being miles away from most of the assets on the topography, so it doesn't undergo the same scrutiny.....

So basically all that has to be rendered in very high detail is the plane model.

Bryank75 - what about the modeling of the simulation itself (integration of air moving around an airfoil). All the face shit on characters in game (not cinematics) are simple. The shaders are easy. There is no complexity to them except a simple normal map. Look at your character Aloy in gameplay and move the camera up to her face. She's not detailed at all. You are really not being fair in this comparison. You know FS2020 is doing a massive amount of stuff more than a typical game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Oh please. Let's be real. The rendering of the world of Spider-man is MUCH more detailed, and that's natural. It'd be extremely surprising if it wasn't.

Again, the scope of the game has zero influence on the beauty of the graphics.

If you told me "this is the game with the biggest scope of all time while retaining gorgeous graphics in a lot of sitiuations" I'd say "yep, it is. 100%"

But that's not what I've been responding to. That's "this is the game with the best graphics of all time, by far." which it simply isn't unless you look it exclusively at its best.
Sigh lets agree to dissagree, and say Flight Simulator is the best looking game ever AT ABOVE 500 feet, is that better?.
Compared to most flight sims, that would turn into N64 standards in terms of deatil, at low altitudes, Flight Sim looks borderline awesome at low altitudes.

Romulus

You probably shouldn't talk so much about the preferences of a community you don't belong to and likely have no experience with.

Lol community. All assumptions. Ive been playing sims for 20 years. But you have the typical tactics. Don't agree? Go on the attack. Attack my preferences and next would be the games I've played. Not good enough. Not sim enough. Blatantly obvious tactics. You've done X for more years=better simmer!

VFXVeteran

Banned
That is correct. And you should give it credit for that, not for what it doesn't do.

Dude, you tempt me to load up HZD and move the camera to a blade of grass or walk up to a brick on the road and show you the blurred magnification MIP map to prove the point that you are judging this game based on walking distance instead of it's overall presentation.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Sigh lets agree to dissagree, and say Flight Simulator is the best looking game ever AT ABOVE 500 feet, is that better?.

I can certainly agree with that.

Compared to most flight sims, that would turn into N64 standards in terms of deatil, at low altitudes, Flight Sim looks borderline awesome at low altitudes.

I also agree with that, and I'd say to all flight sims (I don't consider Star Citizen a flight sim). But we weren't comparing it to other flight sims. The comparison was with all games of all time.

Dude, you tempt me to load up HZD and move the camera to a blade of grass or walk up to a brick on the road and show you the blurred magnification MIP map to prove the point that you are judging this game based on walking distance instead of it's overall presentation.

You'll have to get a TON closer, and it won't be even nearly as blurry.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Bryank75 - what about the modeling of the simulation itself (integration of air moving around an airfoil). All the face shit on characters in game (not cinematics) are simple. The shaders are easy. There is no complexity to them except a simple normal map. Look at your character Aloy in gameplay and move the camera up to her face. She's not detailed at all. You are really not being fair in this comparison. You know FS2020 is doing a massive amount of stuff more than a typical game.

There's much more than a face though....

Anyway, please enjoy the game. I really don't like commenting in a negative way but the hyperbole was a little annoying to me.
I think we should leave it at that.

Stuart360

Bryank you can try and downplay this as much as you want, come up with reasons why it looks good, and whatever. The fact is it looks amazing, and to try and downplay this, while creaming over a lot of slightly better than current gen looking PS5 games, well it just shows a bias.

Yeh I've noticed a price increase and I'd guess it's due to increased demand because of this game.

Going for the T.16000M. Seems to be the best all rounder.

Great choice! I've bought a T.16000 several years ago (the older green version, actually) and it's still feels like brand new. Also, it's one of the few joysticks usable by left-handers like myself.

VFXVeteran

Banned

There's much more than a face though....

OMG! That's exactly what we are trying to say with FS2020!! There is no amount of detail in HZD that matches the detail in FS2020 man. Come on!

Anyway, please enjoy the game. I really don't like commenting in a negative way but the hyperbole was a little annoying to me.

Now you know how others feel when Sony puts out an exclusive title and people go bat-shit over it.

Bryank75

Banned
OMG! That's exactly what we are trying to say with FS2020!! There is no amount of detail in HZD that matches the detail in FS2020 man. Come on!

Now you know how others feel when Sony puts out an exclusive title and people go bat-shit over it.
Airplanes are just simple geometrical shapes and pretty flat surfaces in one reflective color.... what detail is there? Everything can be pictured and reproduced easily....

Stuart360

With the way certain sections are threatened by this game, i can already tell whats coming up in the next few days. People with poor PC's, that they hardly use for gaming, combined with poor internet, will play this game on a month of Gamepass or something, and try there best to get some crappy screenshots with lack of LOD detail, and low settngs, etc, to try and downplay the game.

Watch this space.

No, it's niche. Using the Steam charts as reference? Are you serious?

If the game wasn't niche, Xbox would have promoted the hell out of it, they would of damn sure found a way to get this to the console players the same time as the PC guys.

It's a niche game. A great one going by the reviews.
Why not ? Steam is the biggest platform of hardcore gamers dwarfing PSN and Xbox live. Its hilarious how you think everything revolves around consoles when the console market has completely stagnated since the early 2000s and is now distant third behind pc and smartphones.

Bryank75

Banned
Just give up. Or ask him what his favorite cutscene in TLOU2 is. LOL
Funny you say that, just before you posted I started a thread criticizing TLOU2 story....

I call it like I see it.

YodaBB

Just dusted off the old Saitek X52 Pro for this niche-as-fuck game. In case anyone missed it, changing your region to Kiribati lets you download it now. Settings->Time&lang->Region.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
This thread is a disaster.

Glad to see this game is getting praise...about to dive in, though I'm sure I'll be messing with settings for a while.

The game is literally rendering the whole fucking planet.

Are you seriously serious?

Top Bottom