• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

Papacheeks

Banned
And push graphics it does.. but I guess it needs a required SSD in order for a lot of console gamers to take notice.. /sigh

Not like if they wrote it to take advantage you wouldn't see big advantages in just streaming the giant data sets. Games like this would benefit greatly from I/O imporvements.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Not like if they wrote it to take advantage you wouldn't see big advantages in just streaming the giant data sets. Games like this would benefit greatly from I/O imporvements.

They did write it for SSD. It's a recommended option. How that translates from HDD to SSD nobody knows yet. I'm sure webites will do all kinds of tests on this flight sim.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Disagree. The reason for not all sim games supporting vr is the same reason for any genre, the support just isn't there yet. But be rest assured if it was, it would be the perfered way.

How do we know it doesnt have vtol like switching were you can physically interact with the buttons?

And even with limited interaction, the screen in VR is just vastly superior for cockpits. Scale and depth perception are both game changers by themselves that monitors cannot replicate at all.

You can disagree all you want, but you're obviously not a flight simulation enthusiast, or you'd know the drawbacks, and there are plenty.

You can physically interact with the buttons, but it's not enough to use all the features of the sim. How do we know? You don't know. I do. I reviewed the full release version of the game and played the alpha and beta since day one of their availability.

Perfectly viable support exists in DCS and other sims, and it's still not the preferred way because it's much less comfortable for extended use, and with flight simulation, extended use is the name of the game. This ain't a theme park ride.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Because it would be misleading the public. Why show graphics on a PC when you don't know how much you will have to dumb down on the XSX version?

Ordinarily you'd be correct but nothing they showed was running on Series X hardware. It was all either CGI or running on PC.

Stuart360

I think there will def be less stuttering and hitching on a SSD over a mechanical drive, but i think the speed of your internet will probably have a larger effect with this game

INC

You can disagree all you want, but you're obviously not a flight simulation enthusiast, or you'd know the drawbacks, and there are plenty.

You can physically interact with the buttons, but it's not enough to use all the features of the sim. You don't know. I do. I reviewed the full release version of the game and played the alpha and beta since day one of their availability.

Perfectly viable support exists in DCS and other sims, and it's still not the preferred way because it's much less comfortable for extended use, and with flight simulation, extended use is the name of the game. This ain't a theme park ride.

The preferred way

VFXVeteran

Banned
Retarded, anyone with eyes can see this is the most next gen looking game we've seen (on pc)

It's not on their platform of choice so it fails in every aspect.
Ordinarily you'd be correct but nothing they showed was running on Series X hardware. It was all either CGI or running on PC.

Let's just say they wanted the PC to get the limelight on this instead of the XSX.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Of course, no game is perfect, but IMHO having a large percentage of the content in the game pretty literally unplayable for newcomers unless they start googling obscure websites is a pretty large flaw for a game coming from a publisher as big as Microsoft, which could have definitely afforded to launch with extensive documentation and much better tutorials.

It can be addressed and I trust they'll address it, but as of now, it's going to get many players very quickly due to the beautiful visuals, and it's going to lose lots of them along the way because they'll sit into their shiny A320, take off relatively easily, then press the autopilot button, and nothing will happen. They'll have no idea why, and the game won't tell them.

I absolutely love this game, mind you, but that's exactly why I think its flaws shouldn't be overlooked.

I wouldn't quite go that far. It is extremely impressive and very, very pretty, but as others have said, the graphics do have weaknesses when you start to look carefully.

If you tell me that it's the best looking game when you look at its best angles, then yes. I would agree with that.

If it's not the best looking game, then what is? What game out there has perfection as far as graphics are concerned? I could pick apart any game you mention.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
If it's not the best looking game, then what is? What game out there has perfection as far as graphics are concerned? I could pick apart any game you mention.

Star Citizen has it beat by a long shot in terms of graphical fidelity and consistency if you want to consider a similar genre, but there are plenty of games that could be arguably seen superior thanks to the fact that their visuals don't break at the seams as much like Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2.

The issue with Flight Simulator's graphics is that you don't even have to look TOO hard to see the flaws. You simply need to fly low enough.

This is not to say it isn't not impressive. It really is, and the tech achievement is great, but "best of all time, by far" it ain't unless you look exclusively at some parts of it.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Star Citizen has it beat by a long shot in terms of graphical fidelity and consistency if you want to consider a similar genre, but there are plenty of games that could be arguably seen superior thanks to the fact that their visuals don't break at the seams as much like Ghost of Tsushima or TLOU2.

Oh. You are a Sony fan. Nvm. Not going there..

Btw, GoT and TLOU2 aren't 1st person so you can't get close enough to those textures to see the blurry mess either. But I digress.. I forgot that all of the Sony exclusives are flawless and this game is just merely OK.

Stuart360

The issue with Flight Simulator's graphics is that you don't even have to look TOO hard to see the flaws. You simply need to fly low enough.
It really doesnt. I watch one of the biggest SC streamers on Twitch almost daily, as its one of my most wanted games, but it doesnt hold a candle to this. FS looks pretty much real, SC just looks like a good current gen game.
I do hope by the time its finished, it can blow us away graphically, but i doubt it.

Romulus

You can physically interact with the buttons, but it's not enough to use all the features of the sim. How do we know? You don't know. I do. I reviewed the full release version of the game and played the alpha and beta since day one of their availability.

Lol you're speaking from this elevated position like you're the voice for all sim players. Telling others they're not real sim guys because they're opinion differs. What data do you have to support anything you're saying about preference?
You have no idea about VR if you think VR enthusiasts cant play for long periods of time. If you did, you'd understand how much easier it gets with time. Again how do you know the game won't get support for VR interactions, where is the confirmation?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Oh. You are a Sony fan. Nvm. Not going there..

Btw, GoT and TLOU2 aren't 1st person so you can't get close enough to those textures to see the blurry mess either. But I digress.. I forgot that all of the Sony exclusives are flawless and this game is just merely OK.

You're the one who sounds like an irrational fanboy. I'm primarily a PC user and Microsoft Flight Simulator is my GOTY so far.

This doesn't mean I can't recognize the visual achievements by Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog, which are a LOT more consistent than MSFS in their overall quality. This is objective, and unlike you, I have played the game.

Lol you're speaking from this elevated position like you're the voice for all sim players.

I've been a simulation enthusiast for nearly 30 years. No. I'm not the voice for all sim players, but I know very well the community I belong to, unlike an outsider you, seemingly interested only in promoting their platform.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You're the one who sounds like an irrational fanboy. I'm primarily a PC user and Microsoft Flight Simulator is my GOTY so far.

This doesn't mean I can't recognize the visual achievements by Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog, which are a LOT more consistent than MSFS in their quality. This is objective, and unlike you, I have played the game.

OK.

Bryank75

Banned
There are many reasons it isn't the best looking, number one is that there is no artistic input or flourish. It's technically good but it could never be outstanding in anyway.... it's cold, methodical and accurate but nothing more.

It is beautiful in the most technical sense but not the artistic sense.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
There are many reasons it isn't the best looking, number one is that there is no artistic input or flourish. It's technically good but it could never be outstanding in anyway.... it's cold, methodical and accurate but nothing more.

Fall guys, best looking game this gen!

INC

This doesn't mean I can't recognize the visual achievements by Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog, which are a LOT more consistent than MSFS in their quality. This is objective, and unlike you, I have played the game.

Clever Art direction isnt quite the same

Entroyp

I can see myself playing this game to just chill and enjoy the view. Unless, of course, I keep crashing or landing like launchpad mcquack.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it looks hot!!

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Clever Art direction isnt quite the same

It's not a matter of clever art direction.

It's a matter of consistency. MSFS can look absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful in certain areas, but it looks quite ugly in others because the tech simply doesn't hold up. It's not surprising that it doesn't, and it's forgivable in most cases, but it doesn't mean that it's not very visible.

Play the game, then talk.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Are those games rendering an entire planet?.
Fact is FS uses satelite data for a lot of its graphics and textures. There will be areas where you will see a seam, or overlapping texture, etc. You have to take the game as a whole though, and its simply the best looking ever.
Sure some poeple will have a better experience than others, depending on hardware and internet speed, but if you got the goods, this is what you get -

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Humbly adding mine :D

I can finally say that this is likely the best game that has come out of Microsoft in a decade, despite a few flaws.
First thing I wanna do is go to my airport (I live very close to Chicago O'hare airport) and then see if I can see my apartment complex when I take off. On my way to Japan baby!

INC

It's not a matter of clever art direction.

It's a matter of consistency. MSFS can look beautiful in certain areas, but it looks quite ugly in others because the tech simply doesn't hold up. It's not surprising that it doesn't, and it's forgivable in most cases, but it doesn't mean that it's not very visible.

Play the game, then talk.

I've played GoT and TLoU, they both have parts where it looks inconsistent......so your point is just as void

Horses for courses

Last edited:

Stuart360

Buh Bye Modern Warfare, gotta make room for this. Hey do you know if you HAVE to have 32 GB of RAM to run this? I only got 16.
Reccomended setting say 16gb, and ACG in his review said the game hit 14gb at its highest point. You should be fine.

Romulus

I've been a simulation enthusiast for nearly 30 years. No. I'm not the voice for all sim players, but I know very well the community I belong to, unlike an outsider you, seemingly interested only in promoting their platform.

Wtf man, look at how you're lashing out at people here. Its bizarre behavior for someone that's been gaming that long. You're clearly a grown man acting like this. You've been a sim guy for 30 years. Even 50 years, that doesn't prove anything about the preferred way to play. You're one guy, just like the VR youtuber above.

Stuart360

It's useless even talking to these people. They will never admit a superior looking game if it's not on the PS. It's really a sad thing and toxic environment.
Can you Imagine if this was 'Sony Flight Simulator', made by NaughtY Dog, on PS5, with these graphics -

We would never hear the end of it. They would not only be laughing at XSX, they would be laughing at PC. Trying to downplay this game graphics wise, shows you are nothing more than a biased sad fanboy, seriously.

In fact just post your addresses, so we can pick a 747 in the game, and fly it into your houses.

INC

Can you Imagine if this was 'Sony Flight Simulator', made by NaughtY Dog, on PS5, with these graphics -

We would never hear the end of it. They would not only be laughing at XSX, they would be laughing at PC. Trying to downplay this game graphics wise, shows you are nothing more than a biased sad fanboy, seriously.

In fact just post your addresses, so we can pick a 747 in the game, and fly it into your houses.

If it was ND, it would only be bi-planes...............ill get my coat

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Are those games rendering an entire planet?.
Fact is FS uses satelite data for a lot of its graphics and textures. There will be areas where you will see a seam, or overlapping texture, etc. You have to take the game as a whole though, and its simply the best looking ever.
Sure some poeple will have a better experience than others, depending on hardware and internet speed, but if you got the goods, this is what you get -

The scope is not a factor in graphical beauty. Whether those games render the entire planet or not has no bearing on which game has the better-looking graphics. Microsoft Flight Simulator's graphics are an extremely impressive technical achievement, but they're not the "best ever by far."

Trailers don't tell the whole story. You have not played the game. You should likely stop arguing with someone who did (extensively) and take a step back.

Here's Seattle from up close at maximum settings, and it's one of the most detailed cities of the game. Impressive? Yes. Best ever? Nope.

0KoAQss.jpg

Stuart360

It is beautiful in the most technical sense but not the artistic sense.
You're talking about art style Bryank. Flight Simulator's art style is 'Reality'.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Oh my god. It would be the end of all Xbox/PC gamers! Nothing would ever compare! We'd have to wait till next-next-gen to even think about talking about something better looking.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
How will the puppy run on a 2060 RTX?

No problem at all, but I wouldn't go beyond 1440p, probably better stick to 1080p.

Wtf man, look at how you're lashing out at people here. Its bizarre behavior for someone that's been gaming that long. You're clearly a grown man acting like this. You've been a sim guy for 30 years. Even 50 years, that doesn't prove anything about the preferred way to play. You're one guy, just like the VR youtuber above.

You probably shouldn't talk so much about the preferences of a community you don't belong to and likely have no experience with.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

Trailer looks absolutely amazing, great reviews too. Massive temptation to get some gear and get into it but I cannot shake the vivid image in my mind of not being able to figure out how to push back from the parking stall and never getting airborne

VFXVeteran

Banned
The scope is not a factor in graphical beauty. Whether those games render the entire planet or not has no bearing on which game has the better-looking graphics. Microsoft Flight Simulator's graphics are an extremely impressive technical achievement, but they're not the "best ever by far."

Trailers don't tell the whole story. You have not played the game. You should likely stop arguing with someone who did (extensively) and take a step back.

Here's Seattle from up close at maximum settings, and it's one of the most detailed cities of the game. Impressive? Yes. Best ever? Nope.

0KoAQss.jpg

Show me a Spiderman screenshot that has that much detail and lighting being physically plausible. Even in your screenshot it shows a mirrored building with reflections of objects on the ground. Where is that in PS4 spiderman?

Last edited:
Top Bottom