• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

I’ve got a pilot buddy who used to plat the old versions of this. Anyone feel like linking me to the best trailer/promo video for this one? I’ll share with him. Something that really shows it off.

Jonsoncao

Banned
For a next-gen game console there's nothing "weak" about it.

Why? With Nvidia 30 series underway in a month, Series X is like half the performance of a top tier card and weaker than a mid-tier card, PS5 is even more gimped due to the StupidShift.

I’ve got a pilot buddy who used to plat the old versions of this. Anyone feel like linking me to the best trailer/promo video for this one? I’ll share with him. Something that really shows it off.

He may like this more:

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
No, it's niche. Using the Steam charts as reference? Are you serious?

If the game wasn't niche, Xbox would have promoted the hell out of it, they would of damn sure found a way to get this to the console players the same time as the PC guys.

It's a niche game. A great one going by the reviews.

Sorry but Xbox didn't promote this in any way during the latest showcase because they are silly.

They could have done some kind of hour long live flight during the pre-show which could have then transitioned into a full trailer with a console release date.

But instead they decided to have some anemic pre-show and opened with Craig.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

trailers would probably say very little to a real-life pilot. They're not the intended audience (of trailers).

I would show him this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A

Sorry but Xbox didn't promote this in any way during the latest showcase because they are silly.

This genuinely surprised me, and I'm guessing it's because they don't know when the Xbox version will be ready.

It's literally their strongest game at the moment, and by far.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Pity that there is nothing to do outside of go from location to location.

That's what you do in non-shit flight simulators because most dev resources go into making the sandbox great.

Incidentally, there IS stuff to do. Landing challenges and bush trips are several hours of gameplay and they're awesome.

Not sure why lots of reviews didn't mention them. Likely their scores were abysmal. Can't say I've seen many mainstream reviewers up there in the leaderboards 😂

Last edited:
How do you even manage to put a "videogame rating" on a flight simulator.. As a lifetime long flight simulator fan it's rather amusing to observe gaming sites "review" this title.
Well you can review software from different perspectives. MFS2020 definitely is a game at its core. You could also review it as a teaching-tool of course; however gamers will be interested how much of a good "game" they're getting in their GAME pass :p

Fuz

Banned
I wouldn't say so. It's not without relevant flaws, which I'm surprised many did not talk about. Mostly, it does the super-bare minimum at actually helping people to learn anything beyond basic flight with the simplest aircraft.

I can see many hitting a massive brick wall as soon as they try to fly anything more advanced than a Cessna.

Of course, this may not be a problem for experienced simmers, but it's not like they did not try very hard to position this as accessible. It is... if all you wanna fly is a Cessna.
No game is perfect. Except, of course, Monkey Island and maybe Witcher 3.

But this Flight Simulator is a giant achievement and deserves a better recognition - especially thinking what else got in that score bracket.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wow watched some of the reviews, this thing is nuts. I’ll just goof off in it but man this is some insane next lvl stuff.

Shmunter

By far, the best looking game of all time. Like, holy fucking shit, it's literally the world in a fucking game. And to think, this game is running off a mechanical hard drive. Just wow.
Better yet, it runs off the cloud. Don Mattrick redeemed.

#bringbackdon

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
No game is perfect. Except, of course, Monkey Island and maybe Witcher 3.

But this Flight Simulator is a giant achievement and deserves a better recognition - especially thinking what else got in that score bracket.

Of course, no game is perfect, but IMHO having a large percentage of the content in the game pretty literally unplayable for newcomers unless they start googling obscure websites is a pretty large flaw for a game coming from a publisher as big as Microsoft, which could have definitely afforded to launch with extensive documentation and much better tutorials.

It can be addressed and I trust they'll address it, but as of now, it's going to get many players very quickly due to the beautiful visuals, and it's going to lose lots of them along the way because they'll sit into their shiny A320, take off relatively easily, then press the autopilot button, and nothing will happen. They'll have no idea why, and the game won't tell them.

I absolutely love this game, mind you, but that's exactly why I think its flaws shouldn't be overlooked.

By far, the best looking game of all time. Like, holy fucking shit, it's literally the world in a fucking game. And to think, this game is running off a mechanical hard drive. Just wow.

I wouldn't quite go that far. It is extremely impressive and very, very pretty, but as others have said, the graphics do have weaknesses when you start to look carefully.

If you tell me that it's the best looking game when you look at its best angles, then yes. I would agree with that.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I can't wait to boot this up tonight.

It's such a shame that this can't contend for GOTY because there aren't any cut-scenes.

One of the most impresive looking games I have seen this entire gen. Not just in visuals, but design.

You're gonna make a jab at cutscene games when Flight Sim is a mostly idle game lol.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
please release a controller like this on Xbox
maxresdefault.jpg

Shrap

Does anyone know if this is going to have VR support? I'm not a fan of flight sims myself but those insane visuals in VR would make for one hell of an immersive and mindblowing experience that I'd have to pick it up.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Does anyone know if this is going to have VR support? I'm not a fan of flight sims myself but those insane visuals in VR would make for one hell of an immersive and mindblowing experience that I'd have to pick it up.

Not at launch, but be prepared to have a monster PC if you want these insane visuals in VR. This is *extremely* demanding on the graphics card. My overclocked GTX 1660 ti is consistently pushed at 100% load running at 1080p

Last edited:

Roberts

I'm not really interested in aviation and probably won't spend too much time on it when it drops on XsX, but after watching a few more videos I have to admit this is by far the most technologically impressive graphics showcase this gen. There is nothing that comes even close and it will get better with time when developers or players will gradually handcraft different parts of the world and fix a blurry land texture here and there. People who are not impressed with this are nothing but trolls.

M.W.

Holy shit my laptop can run it at high end settings. Found my house. This is going to consume me.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's such a shame that this can't contend for GOTY because there aren't any cut-scenes.

One of the most impresive looking games I have seen this entire gen. Not just in visuals, but design.

It's not a current gen game at all. I can't wait to see what all the rendering features they put into it.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
VR is far superior to the 3 screen setup, and especially if you can interact with the buttons like vtol.

It's absolutely not. The game has tons of controls besides the switches you have to flip on the dashboard, and good luck finding them on your keyboard with a screen in your face.

It'll be a nice experience in VR for short flights, but there is a reason why most dedicated flight simmers don't use VR.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Good start to quality games. NOw lets see if they can do that beyond racing and simulator games.

But kudos to MS, the PC market needs stuff like this to push graphics, and hopefully they update it for VR.

And push graphics it does.. but I guess it needs a required SSD in order for a lot of console gamers to take notice.. /sigh

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

They could have done some kind of hour long live flight during the pre-show which could have then transitioned into a full trailer with a console release date.

But instead they decided to have some anemic pre-show and opened with Craig.

Because it would be misleading the public. Why show graphics on a PC when you don't know how much you will have to dumb down on the XSX version?

Stuart360

Change your region to kiribati and you can download the whole thing :)
Yeah i saw that earlier. I'll wait though, dont really want to start messing with stuff like that. I was more on about the fact they advertize about preinstalling the game, yet it only downloads 1gb of the 150gb total lol.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Promotional pictures looked good but was watching reviews and didn't seem as nice... thought it would be way more impressive looking.
Pity that there is nothing to do outside of go from location to location.
My friend seemed very interested in this, so I've been keeping my eye on it.

For real? Like what do you supposed to do in a flight simulator or a racing sim? They are doing what their intended purpose is.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's absolutely not. The game has tons of controls besides the switches you have to flip on the dashboard, and good luck finding them on your keyboard with a screen in your face.

It'll be a nice experience in VR, but there is a reason why most dedicated flight simmers don't use VR.

I've been flying DCS exclusively in VR and it's possible to handle the aircraft environment without taking off the headset (some aircrafts especially older releases without a proper cockpit and readable HUDs are REALLY difficult though). The big issue in my opinion has been the clarity / readability of the visuals in general which has been very poor. Even spotting a runway at a distance is a tall order.. But the most severe problems in this context will be a thing of the past with headsets like HP Reverb G2 coming soon.

6 hours now...

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

Don't say that!! Some people think it looks like shit because it doesn't require an SSD!

Stuart360

For real? Like what do you supposed to do in a flight simulator or a racing sim? They are doing what their intended purpose is.
The only real worry graphics wise was how the land looked up close, but ACG's review shows a lot of ground level flying, and the terrain still looked good. Plus its a flying game and you're not supposed to be that low anyway.
Best looking game of all time, and if thats what the radicals are going to hold onto, then it just shows how biased they are when they try to downplay this ridiculous looking game, while creaming themselves over some very average current gen looking 'next gen' games.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, I was just having a chat about this... crop-dusting, dropping water on fires, delivering medicine to a country in a pandemic, transporting military equipment to a warzone, flying a musician across the atlantic to attend a worldwide concert etc....

It would really enhance the experience IMO

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My obligatory post on this:

Live look-in from the future at console gamer's getting ready for FS due to those very high end PC videos and screenshots/vids:

shupepper.gif

10 minutes into "playing" when they feel they're in a controllable cut scene:

yos234j0c.gif

With that said, this sim looks gorgeous and will be one of the very first one's I buy when I slap together a new rig this Fall/Winter. The aircraft mods and the like should be off the chain.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, I was just having a chat about this... crop-dusting, dropping water on fires, delivering medicine to a country in a pandemic, transporting military equipment to a warzone, flying a musician across the atlantic to attend a worldwide concert etc....

I think that they are going to do something like that in separate section, that would be really fun and I don't think it would require too much work...

Senua

Well i agree all of those things would be great, but how about celebrating what they have done already? because it's really damn impressive.

VFXVeteran

Banned

And you don't know if that will be a part of the game or not. This sim is a growing platform. Many companies will make modules for you to do just that.

Bryank75

Banned
I think that they are going to do something like that in separate section, that would be really fun and I don't think it would require too much work...
Yeah exactly, it would really help immerse you and add to the sense of purpose... IMO. Not a difficult thing to add.

Bkdk

Why not both, like they've been doing? I hope they continue to offer games available for either so players like me don't get iced out of an ecosystem
It’s a lot harder to do both well, that’s why MS took a long break on the PC IPs to focus on console, halo took them so much recourses and they can’t even do it the way they expected, time for a Very long break for that And build the momentum on the pc focused projects, all the pc titles can also be ported to the consoles anyway so they will still have games for the Xbox, but less projects to manage and they can take their time to rebuild halo in 10+ years if they still want to revisit this development trouble again.

Romulus

It'll be a nice experience in VR for short flights, but there is a reason why most dedicated flight simmers don't use VR.

Disagree. The reason for not all sim games supporting vr is the same reason for any genre, the support just isn't there yet. But be rest assured if it was, it would be the perfered way.

How do we know it doesnt have vtol like switching were you can physically interact with the buttons?

And even with limited interaction, the screen in VR is just vastly superior for cockpits. Scale and depth perception are both game changers by themselves that monitors cannot replicate at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom