• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Review Thread

nemiroff

Gold Member
You can disagree all you want, but you're obviously not a flight simulation enthusiast, or you'd know the drawbacks, and there are plenty.

You can physically interact with the buttons, but it's not enough to use all the features of the sim. How do we know? You don't know. I do. I reviewed the full release version of the game and played the alpha and beta since day one of their availability.

Perfectly viable support exists in DCS and other sims, and it's still not the preferred way because it's much less comfortable for extended use, and with flight simulation, extended use is the name of the game. This ain't a theme park ride.

Man you have a terrible attitude.. Some old-schoolers will never be satisfied with VR no matter how good it gets, that's fine. But it shouldn't be a plaque for anything. I also grew up with flight simulators, its on its way to be my favourite hobby for four decades, I'm probably not that far from 10K hours in it either. I recently did 5 hours straight in VR in DCS without taking the headset off. I had one hell of a time despite its flaws, and IMO a much better sense of flying than a monitor will ever give. And aside from feeling warm around the ears, I didn't feel much strain or struggle. When the tech is now on its way to mature I doubt many will be left to resist.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Oh not for me, once i saw FS2020 in all it's glory I'll never go back.
it depends what are you looking for,i have seen my city on fs2020 and its full of inaccuracies,maybe the will correct these on the future but on older sims thinks like my local airport are better represented

Redlancet

Banned
Man you have a terrible attitude.. Some old-schoolers will never be satisfied with VR no matter how good it gets, that's fine. But it shouldn't be a plaque for anything. I also grew up with flight simulators, its on its way to be my favourite hobby for four decades, I'm probably not that far from 10K hours in it either. I recently did 5 hours straight in VR in DCS without taking the headset off. I had one hell of a time despite its flaws, and IMO a much better sense of flying than a monitor will ever give. And aside from feeling warm around the ears, I didn't feel much strain or struggle. When the tech is now on its way to mature I doubt many will be left to resist.
vr its the pinnacle of any sim,i have played a lot of them on vr, its a next gen experience

Guilty_AI

it depends what are you looking for,i have seen my city on fs2020 and its full of inaccuracies,maybe the will correct these on the future but on older sims thinks like my local airport are better represented
Are you sure? There's a chance you just used an add-on/mod that improved the looks of your own city. I remember FSX and FS2004 had lots of those.

Redlancet

Banned
Are you sure? There's a chance you just used an add-on/mod that improved the looks of your own city. I remember FSX and FS2004 had lots of those.
yup,thats why i think some people will still prefer the others on the aspects of pure simulation or acuraccy

phil_t98

#SonyToo
a lot of xbox fanbase its using this game just for graphics braggin,id wanna see them having a 4 hour flight from city to city,this isnt ace combat,you can even crash the planes ,im the first who wants this kind of game to be popular again,that wont happen,and dont get me wrong if this game was a playstation one i will say the same,flight sims and good flight sims like this one are niche thing,for a kind of player its not usual on console circles

but hey we are always looking for new expieriences and this will be on gamepass also. Let’s see what happens befor judging. At one time people would of said that of games like doom on console

Redlancet

Banned
but hey we are always looking for new expieriences and this will be on gamepass also. Let’s see what happens befor judging. At one time people would of said that of games like doom on console
This is another different beast, bad analogy, but i hope this sells a lot on pc, i love sims and i love they use peak tech like this one

What makes these so difficult? I've never played a flight sim and just have no clue what you have to actually do.

Are you calculating wind effects or something? Seems like the only difficult parts would be take off and landing, but I'm completely in the dark on what is actually involved.

Orta

Banned
According to @Bryank75, this is easy to render:

microsoft_flight_simulator_2020_5k5WnAp.jpg

TBM_Snow_Alpes_1-buffed_b2article_artwork.PNG

via3oep3mX5EERi6AGsHkQ.jpg

Worst graphics EVER!

INC

What makes these so difficult? I've never played a flight sim and just have no clue what you have to actually do.

Are you calculating wind effects or something? Seems like the only difficult parts would be take off and landing, but I'm completely in the dark on what is actually involved.

You simulate flying a plane.............do u think u can fly a plane? There's your difficulty lvl

Last edited:
You simulate flying a plane.............do u think u can fly a plane? There's your difficulty lvl

I just was wondering if anyone could actually (briefly) explain what that even means since this is still a video game.

Keep it level and .... I don't know what else you actually do lol. I just see lots of buttons and gauges.

INC

I just was wondering if anyone could actually (briefly) explain what that even means since this is still a video game.

Keep it level and .... I don't know what else you actually do lol. I just see lots of buttons and gauges.

Yes, exactly like flying a plane

Or do you mean, is there missions?

This is more what I was asking.

There are challenges and leaderboards and things of that nature. But people seem to not understand that piloting the plane is the whole objective. It's not like GTA where you just breezily fly around the map. You need to know what you're doing or else you will nosedive.

Redlancet

Banned
Not at all, its just different. Lets see how console gamers take to it when it comes out
Doom was a action game, this is a complex flight sim, the first Airbus tutorial its one hour, dont expect console people embrace this kind of game, you will see a lot of people who doesnt care about flight sims at all talking about The graphics thats for sure

Greeno

I'm impressed by the amount of people coming to this thread to shit on the visuals. This is really unhealthy. The comparisons being flung around are not even meaningful. Just appreciate what Asobo was able to do and move on with life.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah, I was just having a chat about this... crop-dusting, dropping water on fires, delivering medicine to a country in a pandemic, transporting military equipment to a warzone, flying a musician across the atlantic to attend a worldwide concert etc....

It would really enhance the experience IMO
Flying illegals across the border. Dropping them into the ocean for lol’s after taking their life savings.

Joining a cartel and smuggling cocaine into Miami.

Your right, there is potential.

Stuart360

Flying illegals across the border. Dropping them into the ocean for lol’s after taking their life savings.

Joining a cartel and smuggling cocaine into Miami.

Your right, there is potential.
lol i dont think its that kind of game. Cool idea though.

Top Bottom