• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator launches August 18 for PC

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's almost time! I've got the Honeycomb yoke in place (and an X52 Pro), but still waiting for the rudder pedals and the extra 16GB RAM upgrade to arrive, ..starting to get nervous.

BTW, speaking of rudder, here's a useful tip for some; it is possible to use your racing pedals as rudder pedals if you don't want to buy dedicated rudder pedals. Unfortunately that means that you might have to leave your wheel connected, but it is at least an option.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I've got a crap PC and a wireless mouse and keyboard from Argos

Sorted. Cant wait for this! First place to fly round? Lands end. Then Stansted.

Bergoglio

8 reviews

Last edited:
So far 94/100 from 18 reviews on Metacritic.

holy shit you can't call that a review.
what an utter joke

I don't know what do you expect from outlet like IGN. If you want a quality review, wait for Squirrel to make one.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to try this (Game Pass) but bearing in mind that the last flight simulator I ever played was on the ZX Spectrum around 1983...

Psion_Flight_Simulation_on_ZX_Spectrum.png

...I suspect I may be a tad rusty :messenger_neutral:

So a question I've had on this game for a while - do long flights (trans Atlantic for example) take as long as they do in real like? As in, I'd have to find 8 hours free to do that?

Schmick

So a question I've had on this game for a while - do long flights (trans Atlantic for example) take as long as they do in real like? As in, I'd have to find 8 hours free to do that?
Yes. The while planet is to 1:1 scale.

However in past Flight Simulators you can speed up time. I assume that you can do that in FS2020.

Yes. The while planet is to 1:1 scale.

However in past Flight Simulators you can speed up time. I assume that you can do that in FS2020.
Ok, speed up time. I guess that would make sense. Put the plane in auto and speed up for a bit. Great.

Gonna check this out on gamepass, just can't decide whether to put aside path of exile to do so or to wait.

BigLee74

I would imagine the high load times are primarily down to the fact that it has to get the start area streamed in from the Internet.

No SSD will help us there!

Last edited:
Ok, speed up time. I guess that would make sense. Put the plane in auto and speed up for a bit. Great.

Gonna check this out on gamepass, just can't decide whether to put aside path of exile to do so or to wait.
Yes, pute PoE to the side for a day and let the Flight Sim melt your eyeballs away with its beauty.

I seriously cant wait, my 970 is going to resemble a jet engine once it launches so it will be 100% full immersion.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
FYI. If you're not on Steam the game can be downloded and played right now. Works for me with the MS Store and/or Game Pass PC. Set you region to Kiribati (no joke). It's been August 18th for 20 minutes there.

cFLbvNK.png

Last edited:
Yes, pute PoE to the side for a day and let the Flight Sim melt your eyeballs away with its beauty.

I seriously cant wait, my 970 is going to resemble a jet engine once it launches so it will be 100% full immersion.
I'm so tempted! Probably will to be honest. I just know what I'm like and I'll probably end up dropping my PoE character at act 8 and never finish the main game. It's my first ever go and I want to see if my home made build can make it!

tronied

betrayal betrayal Not sure why but my previous post a few minutes ago got deleted? It might not be recommended to do that as it's against the Microsoft Store TOS. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could lead to a possible suspension or a ban. I am very tempted, but I think I'll just wait the 12 hours or so until release.

keraj37

FYI. If you're not on Steam the game can be downloded and played right now. Works for me with the MS Store and/or Game Pass PC. Set you region to Kiribati (no joke). It's been August 18th for 20 minutes there.

cFLbvNK.png

I have an uncle in Kiribati - I can ask him to download it for me - thanks for heads up!
Let us know how it plays - you and my uncle are most likely the first people to play it!

AeneaGames

cFLbvNK.png

Thanks for the tip! Mine is now installing as well! And how irritating is that little music loop, keeps on going and going and minimising the window doesn't make it stop! They expect you to listen to it for hours on end, I mean, I do have fast internet but this is still gonna take a bit.....
(had to turn the volume off just for this app in audio settings)

And why on earth was this not included in the pre-load already? Isn't the whole reason to do a pre-load so you don't have to wait once you can play?

Ah well....

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Thanks for the tip! Mine is now installing as well! And how irritating is that little music loop, keeps on going and going and minimising the window doesn't make it stop! They expect you to listen to it for hours on end, I mean, I do have fast internet but this is still gonna take a bit.....
(had to turn the volume off just for this app in audio settings)

And why on earth was this not included in the pre-load already? Isn't the whole reason to do a pre-load so you don't have to wait once you can play?

Ah well....

I guess this is because the FS client is generally updated ingame and is a closed ecosystem. This makes sense considering that there will be a lot of additional content in the coming years. This makes things much easier for the developers and also the users have only advantages after the initial installation.

AeneaGames

I guess this is because the FS client is generally updated ingame and is a closed ecosystem. This makes sense considering that there will be a lot of additional content in the coming years. This makes things much easier for the developers and also the users have only advantages after the initial installation.

Yeah normally it would not be in that screen for all that long, first time download of almost 92GB tho, lol. But I solved it by using the volume per app settings in Win10.... Kinda wanna use my pc for other stuff until it's done, haha

nemiroff

Gold Member
Will this support VR? Honestly it's the perfect game for it. I might have to actually get a good PC for this

VR support is confirmed coming soon for the HP Reverb G2 headset (developed in collaboration with HP, Valve and Microsoft). Support for other VR brands is for sure to follow shortly after.

Anyway, I just noticed that the MSFS2020 marketplace already have scenery, airport and aircraft add-ons in it.......................

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
That's actually perfect, gives me time to buy the next gen console of my choice and focus on VR/PC for early next year. thanks a lot for the info
Note that HP has moneyhatted the VR support for be exclusive for the HP Reverb G2 for an undefined amount of time.

So I got Xbox gamepass for pc but I can't download the game via it. Do I need the more expensive Xbox gamepass ultimate or something? It's not clear.

Edit - had to log out and back in and now it's working. Being able to play this for £1 is incredible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom