• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to produce $2.6 billion in hardware sales

Recent analysis suggests that Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to generate over $2.6 billion in hardware sales over the next three years.

The statistic comes from Jon Peddie Research, an analytics company specializing in hardware revenue in the games industry.

“Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the global leader in tracking the hardware spend of gamers, has analyzed the sales impact of the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020,” the official statement reads. “This includes PC builds, processor upgrades, display upgrades, flight sticks and throttles, flight system control units, rudder pedals, simulation pit components such as seats and frames, and VR sales.”

JPR conducted its research by separating players into three categories – entry-level, mid-range, and high-end. Obviously the people who lean towards the higher end of the spectrum are expected to spend more.

“Based on the assumption of a sale of 2.27 million units of Flight Simulator 2020 selling over the next three years, JPR estimates that in that time frame $2.6 billion will be spent on hardware with the specific intent of improving the game’s experience,” the statement says. “Much more will be spent over the title’s complete sales cycle.”

“Flight simulators are incredibly demanding on processing capability and reward high resolution, large displays, and VR use,” said games industry analyst Ted Pollak. “When new flight simulators are released, the hardware to run them at max settings and performance does not even exist yet.”

“This creates a situation of constant hardware demand over the life of the title as fans chase the best experience,” he added. “A significant number of flight sim fans only play flight sim. We took this into account when calculating whether the money will be spent specifically or partially because of this game.”

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I got old 1080ti, and it defaulted me to ultra settings 4k.
I turned down the resolution scaling to 80% and it ran fine 30-60fps.

Imo you need better internet to reduce the random stutter. Does internet counts as hardware upgrade?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Recent analysis suggests that Microsoft Flight Simulator is expected to generate over $2.6 billion in hardware sales over the next three years.

The statistic comes from Jon Peddie Research, an analytics company specializing in hardware revenue in the games industry.

“Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the global leader in tracking the hardware spend of gamers, has analyzed the sales impact of the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020,” the official statement reads. “This includes PC builds, processor upgrades, display upgrades, flight sticks and throttles, flight system control units, rudder pedals, simulation pit components such as seats and frames, and VR sales.”

JPR conducted its research by separating players into three categories – entry-level, mid-range, and high-end. Obviously the people who lean towards the higher end of the spectrum are expected to spend more.

“Based on the assumption of a sale of 2.27 million units of Flight Simulator 2020 selling over the next three years, JPR estimates that in that time frame $2.6 billion will be spent on hardware with the specific intent of improving the game’s experience,” the statement says. “Much more will be spent over the title’s complete sales cycle.”

“Flight simulators are incredibly demanding on processing capability and reward high resolution, large displays, and VR use,” said games industry analyst Ted Pollak. “When new flight simulators are released, the hardware to run them at max settings and performance does not even exist yet.”

“This creates a situation of constant hardware demand over the life of the title as fans chase the best experience,” he added. “A significant number of flight sim fans only play flight sim. We took this into account when calculating whether the money will be spent specifically or partially because of this game.”

This seems to be strangely based on previous titles that have never really been well optimized. This analyst (whoever they may be, never heard of them) seem to have never tried the game. The hardware to run MSFS at max settings and performance definitely exists. It's a fairly demanding game, but an RTX 2080 and 3900x eat it alive even in 4k ultra.

That being said, I'm sure it'll sell a lot of hardware, but this doesn't seem to be anything more than the usual Pachter (without the fame) throwing random numbers around.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Data point - I put together a Ryzen 3900 rig with a 5700xt for trying to get into the FS2020 alpha (I did get into it)

This seems to be strangely based on previous titles that have never really been well optimized. This analyst (whoever they may be, never heard of them) seem to have never tried the game. The hardware to run MSFS at max settings and performance definitely exists. It's a fairly demanding game, but an RTX 2080 and 3900x eat it alive even in 4k ultra.

That being said, I'm sure it'll sell a lot of hardware, but this doesn't seem to be anything more than the usual Pachter (without the fame) throwing random numbers around.
If by eating alive you mean dropping framerate to mid 20s in large cities then you are absolutely correct.

Your local hardware won't mean anything if they're issues with Microsoft's cloud servers. This trend in gaming is sad. The content you paid for is mostly tied to an external party.
Seriously? This is just concern trolling.

the game if fully playable offline. The only reason they stream in the high quality textures is because the game is literally planetary scale. Good luck on downloading a game that provides a worlds worth of hq textures all locally.

you’ll need a few months worth of downloading and a couple of SSD’s connected just to play.

.......Yeah okay, I'm going to assume that the hundred(s) of extreme flying Sim enthusiasts would spend about 50k at least for a super advanced gaming cockpit.

So in that light, maybe it's possible.

Because I doubt there's enough casuals to spend that much to run the game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

So they are estimating that the average Flight Sim purchaser will spend over $1000 on upgrades? That feels like a reach.

I spent $0, it runs just fine on my rig. By just fine I mean a mostly stable 60fps at 1080p, so it's demanding but yeah.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
So they are estimating that the average Flight Sim purchaser will spend over $1000 on upgrades? That feels like a reach.

I spent $0, it runs just fine on my rig. By just fine I mean a mostly stable 60fps at 1080p, so it's demanding but yeah.

Actually it makes more sense. The average fps dudebros are not refined enough to learn flight sim'ing.

Seems FS20 attracts more sophisticated gamers who are more successful/wealthy in life. 🤷‍♀️

Actually it makes more sense. The average fps dudebros are not refined enough to learn flight sim'ing.

Seems FS20 attracts more sophisticated gamers who are more successful/wealthy in life. 🤷‍♀️

Shouldnt they already have high end pc then?

1000 average is just high, like big upgrade or fancy controllers

CeeJay

Your local hardware won't mean anything if they're issues with Microsoft's cloud servers. This trend in gaming is sad. The content you paid for is mostly tied to an external party.
Don't be over dramatic, FS2020 would simply not be possible on this scale without the cloud element. The game world is based on over 2 petabytes (2,000 terabytes, think about that for a minute...) of Bing maps data TO START WITH so good luck with finding an SSD to cover that install! Then it runs AI over the top to create the 3D models along with all the handcrafted landmarks. Also keep in mind that the world in FS2020 is not static, as the Bing maps evolve and update so will FS and they will also be training and honing the AI to better translate the maps to 3D. Even then if you are doing all that locally you would still be missing out on the live weather and live air traffic.

At this scale its a bit ridiculous to talk about being saddened by having to be online to play.

acm2000

you are forgetting about the sheer amount of sim sticks, throttles, pedals, etc etc too, not to mention VR when that is added.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The assumption that many people will upgrade their rigs just for this game is wrong imo. It's usually about running all new games in good quality, not improving the performance of one benchmark game. And yeah, there are hardcore flight sim fans willing to spends hundreds/thousand of dollars, but I don't think there are that many of them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i love games like this that are so demanding that current hardware isn't enough to get the most out of it. that's how it should be on PC.

i have a 9900K/32GB/2080 and need to play it at 1440p 30fps (it can drop to ~20fps at times) on a mixture of medium/high settings. it's gonna be a long time before we can get 4k 100+ fps with high/ultra settings.

xiseerht

That is the definition of a system seller. Since MS lost Halo for the Series X launch. This is the game they need to push since we already know it is coming to Series X , just don't have a date.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol. There's not that many people playing a flight Sim game. C'mon now.

MSFS has traditionally had a large dedicated following. Remember that the series has sold in the million even though it has not been a part of "the videogame pop culture". Its following have waited a decade (and somewhat fiddled with X-Plane in the meantime) to go all-in and have the money and eagerness to do it. BTW, also take into regard that no one expected MS to do such a spectacular comeback. So this is also like a Christmas eve dream coming true for many, and money almost doesn't matter.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Lol. There's not that many people playing a flight Sim game. C'mon now.

And if you're not a stupid person, you can run this game smoothly with an i7-6700k, 32GB DDR4 and a 1080.

An old friend who was training as a pilot would play FSX just to get 'flight' hours up on the training plane as a way to get round paying real world fees.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And the continued downplaying FUD of Flight Sim continues.

People realize Flight Sim is over a 1 million copy seller right? Are we to the point we are trying to say now that a million recorded sales is niche?

I mean let's not forget that the biggest chunk of gamers are on PCs. It's also been years since a Flight Sim entry. It's a break very well done..it is stunning honestly.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
And the continued downplaying FUD of Flight Sim continues.

People realize Flight Sim is over a 1 million copy seller right? Are we to the point we are trying to say now that a million recorded sales is niche?

It's not niche on PC. There's still a very big market for good flight sim games and these people buy games, buy hardware, buy add-ons and buy mods.

But if people think this game is going to have a big impact on consoles then they are mistaken. People who are into flight sims simply don't fuck with consoles.

It's not niche on PC. There's still a very big market for good flight sim games and these people buy games, buy hardware, buy add-ons and buy mods.

But if people think this game is going to have a big impact on consoles then they are mistaken. People who are into flight sims simply don't fuck with consoles.
I agree.....I can't even see this blowing up on consoles. This is true PC software. I would love to see what this looks like running on a Series X.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Is it really a game? Anyway...

The original flight simulator was really popular for a long time with more people than just gamers so I can see this being pretty big.

I wonder how much of that 2 billion sales will be VR?

I think MSFS should be released on all platforms, kind of like Minecraft.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The assumption that many people will upgrade their rigs just for this game is wrong imo. It's usually about running all new games in good quality, not improving the performance of one benchmark game. And yeah, there are hardcore flight sim fans willing to spends hundreds/thousand of dollars, but I don't think there are that many of them.
I take it you werent gaming on PC in the early years of Crysis?.

Anyway just a tip guys, do the manual cache option. It helps a lot with the stuttering as the data is already downloaded. It also makes any troublesome areas look super detailed.
I made a post how to do it in the official thread, if you cant work it out.

SF Kosmo

you are forgetting about the sheer amount of sim sticks, throttles, pedals, etc etc too, not to mention VR when that is added.
Yeah but $1000 with of controllers? Not many people. VR we'll see. I think that feature is a ways off but yes it will almost certainly require future tech to run well.

TheContact

Just watched a YT vid where HP sent the guy a PC with a 3990x and a 2080ti and he was getting around 30-40fps. I think it's a combination of a poorly optimized engine and the 2080ti, but he did say if he didn't have the FPS counter showing it was 30-40 he would have thought it was above 60. The game looks incredible though! There's also a massive shortage of flight sticks. I wouldn't want to play this game on anything under the Ideal specs, which is nutty to begin with.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Just watched a YT vid where HP sent the guy a PC with a 3990x and a 2080ti and he was getting around 30-40fps. I think it's a combination of a poorly optimized engine and the 2080ti, but he did say if he didn't have the FPS counter showing it was 30-40 he would have thought it was above 60. The game looks incredible though! There's also a massive shortage of flight sticks. I wouldn't want to play this game on anything under the Ideal specs, which is nutty to begin with.
At 4K though.

I don't think the game is poorly optimized but it is DX11 so it doesn't take advantage of newer features that could help, especially when it comes to high resolutions.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Why this isn't a launch game for the Xbox Series X ? It would have been a killer ap for launch. Missed opportunity MS.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I concur. Its always been a PC centric game. I think with it being on GP it could find some more players on console but it will need work in the controls department to get it working right.

Top Bottom