• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Analysis - Next-Gen Begins Now

martino

Nope. It still runs on DX11.

This game already looks amazing, but with added DX12 Ultimate features such as VRS, DXR, Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback it has the potential to look and run much better than now. Which is crazy.
it's not even relying on DX12 !
tenor.gif

SaucyJack

Flight Simulator looks great and I’m glad Microsoft brought it back.

I don’t know why people are console warring on this though. Blue corner - it looks great, be happy that this classic has been brought back to PC, it’s been away too long. Green corner - this is not the win you’re looking for, it tells you zip about XSX capability because a) it’s just a Sim and b) we ain’t seen it on XSX yet.

Sure, the Metacritic seems a bit high for a game with such limited gameplay and it should probably be taking a
bit more stick for add-ons. Nevertheless, if you want a flight simulator this is clearly the one to buy.

Skifi28

It's hard to disagree it looks amazing. Unfortunate that this is the type of game to get those kind of visuals first. I can understand the appeal, but I can't see myself flying straight for more than 10 minutes and I like Euro Truck sim, imagine that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
PS fanboys salt with this game knows no bounds
I would rather say that some people remain skeptical of the whole next gen stamp.
The base is impressive. But not a demo for next gen gfx imo when you get close to stuff.

i would rather call half life alyx NEXT GEN
Or that unreal demo

I would rather say that some people remain skeptical of the whole next gen stamp.
The base is impressive. But not a demo for next gen gfx imo when you get close to stuff.

i would rather call half life alyx NEXT GEN
Or that unreal demo
On the contrary, the game would be more than double in size, and would require a much faster internet connection, cpu, and gpu to be able to display the surplus of extra LOD.

sircaw

Banned
Definitely not my type of game, saying that I saw a video with someone flying over the pyramids in Egypt.

Was pretty damn spectacular.

U need to see more of the game . It looks great some places and 2d mess in other area. Very inconsistent

I mean it's a Flight Simulator, you can fly around the entire world. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 is on another level then any other Flight Simulators. You won't know what's real or not lol
vqT7d4n.jpg

BnWMJqt.jpg

Also, they'll be improvements with this technology within years to come.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is an all time low. I don't think anyone dissed tlou2 for it's graphics. Both games look great, but FS2020 is on a whole different level graphically and technologically wise. Furthermore, this is a FS2020 thread, not a tlou2 thread, there are plenty of those already.

IUfMH8O.jpg

This is why Sony gamers think I hate Sony the company. It's the Sony gamers who can't acknowledge an incredible and top tier game surpassing their own biased games. It really gets under my skin.

I will absolutely buy a PS5 if just to pick apart every "best graphics ever" game that comes to it. Believe..

TigerKnee

Flight simulator games bore me to tears. With that said, there’s no denying that this is the best looking game on the planet right now and the technology they are pushing are unmatched (TLOU2 😂😂😂)

I’ll probably try it in two years when I have the PC specs to play it at 4K all high details.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Still the LODs fall apart pretty easily when watched from less than 1 mile.
I.e. you cannot apply this tech even to isometric RPG, not to mention FPS or any modern action-adventure.
A very niche achievement...

So what? Is that all you got? Get outta here with that crap dude. Do you know how many points I can make about every single Sony exclusive game and the shortcuts it makes that so many people miss? I can't believe someone of your caliber refuse to give props to a game that is clearly impressive technically. Do your homework on graphics techniques. You are too far gone into the hardware domain. Sony clan is going to need someone with your expertise to counter my arguments when the PS5 games come rolling in.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
After all these years, this picture still stands, so sad...

sony_fanboys.jpg

I can totally understand this game not being everyone's cup of tea. But to downplay it from a TECHNICAL standpoint you just have to be... dim to put it lightly. Not only they downplay it but they dare compare it against safe ass games like HZD/God of War/Ghost (Ubisoft Style open world) Spiderman (Batman Arkham with a new hat) or TLOU2 (7th gen style cinematic action)

Running everything on ultra with 1440p+DLSS.

Absolutely beautiful game until you start to get closer to the landing point. Textures start to look Gross. Definetly not as pretty as when you are in the clouds.

Three

Actually its an AI algorithm that uses the satelite data to create the buildings. And judging from my home city, it does it very well. Its not perfect obviously, but the fact its using satelite images means at least the buildings are in the right place.
And according to the devs, it will get more accurate as time goes by.
Yeah it's pretty neat. Was just pointing out that the buildings sides are procedurally generated using random assets on the fly (no pun intended) . Not sure why some xbox fans are so easily insulted by that. I mean what's funny about that? It's awesome tech. There are even some humorous glitches when generates them based on the elevation data alone.

What's interesting is that Polyphony also presented a paper for landscape and city generation back in 2017 and late 2019. Maybe GTWorld might be coming out or maybe it's just for the menus 😂

Last edited:

oagboghi2

He's serious. Unless you can land your plane at any random place on planet Earth, get out and see character models that look better than TLOU2 and car models that outshine anything in Gran Turismo Sport, then these graphics are just an atrocity :messenger_poop:
I'm sorry, but you are posting in a thread about flight simulator. You don't have room to talk.

It's great and all that the game is pretty but so what? Does that make it any less boring? All of a sudden MS fans gained a hankering for flight Sims?

Or....Halo Infinite turned out to look like shit, and they are looking for anything they can point to as a graphical powerhouse.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Yeah it's pretty neat. Was just pointing out that the buildings sides are procedurally generated using random assets on the fly (no pun intended) . Not sure why some xbox fans are so easily insulted by that. I mean what's funny about that? It's awesome tech. There are even some humorous glitches when generates them based on the elevation data alone.

What's interesting is that Polyphony also presented a paper for landscape and city generation back in 2017 and late 2019. Maybe GTWorld might be coming out or maybe it's just for the menus 😂
The only thing i'd like to see improved graphics wise is some of the roads. I didnt notice it as much in the US, but in the UK, some of the smaller roads, country roads, and roads in smaller towns and cities, are green, matching the landscapes, so it kind of looks like the towns are overgrown lol, like after a post apocalyptic event or something. I did land on one of the roads, and the road texture is there, but it has a green hue from the surrounding greenery.
Hopefully its something thats easily fixed. It did make it hard for me to find my house, but i did in the end lol.
The game is teaching me stuff i never knew though. Like i never knew that Venice was literally a floating city off the coast. I never knew that Sydney Australia is almost like a load of islands joined together.
So damn cool.

Next gen on "consoles" started awhile ago but namely tlou2 and games like Ghost of T. Flight is good for what it is and being this good on a mid to high speced pc but then again a good amount of games look good with good rigs. It is doing cool things considering the scope of it and it being a simulator and diff from what most games do with having to worry about npcs, enemies, boss battles, etc.

1440p at 27fps-30fps. And RDR2 shits on both of those games at native 4k on XB1X.

MFS is using tech thats simply not possible on current gen consoles.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Oh and if anyone is interested, 275,000 feet is the highest you can go, and you're basically in space. The highest you can get with a plane is around 90k feet, but its very hard to do (i managed to get to 81k feet).
There is a trick though, i think its 'Y' on the keyboard. You press it and keep it pressed, and you can move the plane around freely. It was put it incase you get blocked by a building or something, seen some people say it was a dev thing left in by mistake. Anyway you press Y (i think, Google it), and then lift your plane upto 275,000 feet, which looks spectacular, and then once you let go, you fall towards Earth, out of control due little air, until you get to about 100k or so and then you slowly get control again. Its very cool.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The only thing i'd like to see improved graphics wise is some of the roads. I didnt notice it as much in the US, but in the UK, some of the smaller roads, country roads, and roads in smaller towns and cities, are green, matching the landscapes, so it kind of looks like the towns are overgrown lol, like after a post apocalyptic event or something. I did land on one of the roads, and the road texture is there, but it has a green hue from the surrounding greenery.
Hopefully its something thats easily fixed. It did make it hard for me to find my house, but i did in the end lol.
The game is teaching me stuff i never knew though. Like i never knew that Venice was literally a floating city off the coast. I never knew that Sydney Australia is almost like a load of islands joined together.
So damn cool.

That's the Global Illumination system. Good thing to note though.

I'm sorry, but you are posting in a thread about flight simulator. You don't have room to talk.

It's great and all that the game is pretty but so what? Does that make it any less boring? All of a sudden MS fans gained a hankering for flight Sims?

Or....Halo Infinite turned out to look like shit, and they are looking for anything they can point to as a graphical powerhouse.
Kinda like when PS4 owners got a hankering for walking simulators? Lol.

It's All fLat with nO gEoMeTrY!

VividLandscape.jpg

Must be why this can bring a 2080ti to its knees. "No geometry"

Why do you feel the need to desperately downplay this game? Can't help but feel like if this was a PS5 exclusive you would be hailing it as the most next gen game out there and only possible because of Cerny's magic SSD.

His agenda's pretty clear at this point. Kinda sad; they have decent tech insight but what's the point if you use it to constantly downplay/denigrate a given platform no matter what? That just weakens the need for others to listen.

Just look at all those flat, bitmap animals ;)

It looks good but it's still a flight simulator with nothing going on in the screen and no interactivity. Are people really that desperate to cling to that for some kind of "victory"?

Just looking at the video bored me to tears too.

Now you're just embodying the console gamer stereotype PC gamers made so much fun of (and some still do) back in the day. Dumb, simple-minded barbarians who only know when things go "shoot shoot bang bang" and need constant MTV-style visual explosion stimuli every frame and severe attention deficiency. Bonus points for not being able to wrap their brain around game mechanics more complex than a platformer or action-adventurer.

There's a reason PC ports of sim-style games took so long to start arriving to consoles; console gamers who had your mentality feeding into a stereotype was one of the reasons why. There were other obvious reasons, too (legitimate ones, like too much architecture divergence, input divergence, etc.), but this was one of the more offending ones.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There is a trick though, i think its 'Y' on the keyboard. You press it and keep it pressed, and you can move the plane around freely. It was put it incase you get blocked by a building or something, seen some people say it was a dev thing left in by mistake.
This wasn't something devs forgot. Flight Sims always gave a lot of control to the players. Older titles in the series also had this. I believe you're also able to do stuff like changing planes and weather midair, or teleport to any place you wish mid-gameplay. They work a lot more like tools than games in a way, which i honestly prefer over the forced 'immersion' shackles some devs go for.

Stuart360

This wasn't something devs forgot. Flight Sims always gave a lot of control to the players. Older titles in the series also had this. I believe you're also able to do stuff like changing planes and weather midair, or teleport to any place you wish mid-gameplay. They work a lot more like tools than games in a way, which i honestly prefer over the forced 'immersion' shackles some devs go for.
Oh you can def change weather and time of the day on the fly. Dont know about planes though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Flight SIm 2020 is a Crysis-level leap in technology, period. By using the "power of the cloud" and AI to generate terrain it is demonstrating the tech that is possible that simply did not exist and was not used before. This video compares FS2020 to X-Plane 11 which is, or was, considered the most state of the art in the genre.

I would think a forum that is focused on videogames would appreciate this sort of leap, because it simply does not happen anymore. But because it has Microsoft in front of it, people are disregarding it over yet another grimdark action adventure now with swaying grass, kind of embarrassing tbh.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Flight SIm 2020 is a Crysis-level leap in technology, period. By using the "power of the cloud" and AI to generate terrain it is demonstrating the tech that is possible that simply did not exist and was not used before. This video compares FS2020 to X-Plane 11 which is, or was, considered the most state of the art in the genre.

I would think a forum that is focused on videogames would appreciate this sort of leap, because it simply does not happen anymore. But because it has Microsoft in front of it, people are disregarding it over yet another grimdark action adventure now with swaying grass, kind of embarrassing tbh.

Really surprised the mods havent jumped in yet, its the same in all the FS threads. I mean its one thing trolling Halo Infinite, but to troll this game is sheer lunacy, and simply, well, trolling.

howitis3

this game is amazing. takes my 3900x and 2070 super to task. this game is bringing lots of mid range gamers to tears as their rigs are barely able to play the game. I'm glad this game exists. for too long low and mid range systems have been able to play new pc games on ultra settings with 60fps. devs have done little to push graphics.

Zathalus

Flight Simulator 2020 looks amazing and is a benchmark game graphically. Denying that it looks really rough in some places is just silly though. Of course it's not the fault of the game, it is trying to replicate most of the damn planet.

On the key stuff that actually matters, such as distant landscapes, weather and volumetrics, and the airplanes, you can really see that it is remarkable.

It really is, and just goes to show who's in this because they genuinely enjoy gaming regardless of the platform, and who's just in it to stan for their plastic of choice no matter what. Unfortunately even some of the more tech-knowledgeable types can fall into the latter.

Personally I'm glad I got into gaming through arcades because I think that helped me not fall into the fanboy pit when young. Granted I was SEGA kid at that time too since MegaDrive was my first system, but I've since owned systems from all the big players. In fact I've had more PlayStation systems than any other aside from Nintendo. And I even have a lot of appreciation for the smaller competitors who've come and gone: NEC, 3DO, SNK etc.

The way some folks in this thread have been trying to disregard technical achievements of FS2020, despite supposedly being game tech enthusiasts, makes them come off like deeply entrenched K-POP and shipping stans on Twitter. You ain't fooling no one with that get-up xD.

this game is amazing. takes my 3900x and 2070 super to task. this game is bringing lots of mid range gamers to tears as their rigs are barely able to play the game. I'm glad this game exists. for too long low and mid range systems have been able to play new pc games on ultra settings with 60fps. devs have done little to push graphics.

When you frame it that way, games like this and Star Citizen could actually usher in priority of big AAA PC-minded gaming pushing the latest tech on that platform. Which if games like FS2020 show, can easily establish PC as the pinnacle of graphics innovation I personally felt it should've been once arcades lost popularity. Because for a good while, especially in the '90s, arcade boards like SEGA Model 2 and Model 3 were literally generational leaps over the home consoles out at the time, and they had games to show it, too.

I think during some period in the '90s PCs also had some of that going on, but once PC devs started migrating to console and prioritizing consoles of the time, PC became more of a secondary priority for them in terms of pushing the limits, the high-end specs basically "brute forcing" better textures and resolution and not too much else, you could still "tell" these were games made with consoles in mind. I think that transition fully came about during 7th gen, though.

There's enough means and opportunity now in the PC space for devs who have the funds to push these kind of clearly next-gen (or even beyond that) experiences, if you have companies as big as Microsoft and Valve (and Epic) funding them. Otherwise they'd need to get lucky with going the Star Citizen route. Pretty exciting times for AAA PC gaming coming along.

Nope. It still runs on DX11.

This game already looks amazing, but with added DX12 Ultimate features such as VRS, DXR, Mesh Shaders and Sampler Feedback it has the potential to look and run much better than now. Which is crazy.

J E E Z U Z really?!? Wow, that's pretty big. I honestly thought this was DX12, even DX12U and using those sort of features. We know it's getting a Series X port, there's an actual chance it could look even better up there (until/unless PC gets a DX12U update around the same time adding in those features so that version would still be king but Series X hopefully not too far behind).

Last edited:
Top Bottom