• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Analysis - Next-Gen Begins Now

Romulus

Can't wait to try this is VR with a full scale cockpit and landscapes around me. That'll be my first time playing it.

Last edited:
U need to see more of the game . It looks great some places and 2d mess in other area. Very inconsistent

You do realize this game is modeling the entire world right? Right?

The scope of this game has never been attempted before. Do you expect every single spot in the world to have been run through at this point?

They will continue to update the streaming models going forward.

Guilty_AI

The scope of this game has never been attempted before.
Lots of flight sims already have reproduced the entire world as its setting, even as far back as FS2004. They just didn't have this level of phidelity (scenary would look bland and generic most of the time).

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
Man the reactions in this thread are crazy, but it has opened my eyes as to why Microsoft isn’t pushing this on Xbox. They choose not to show it at their showcase and that decision might be correct. Maybe people just aren’t interested in a hardcore sim game like this unless you want to push your PC or are into this type of game.

It’s a technological marvel and the most impressive game I’ve ever seen. All of you PC guys with nice rigs must be drooling on your keyboards, but perhaps Microsoft’s marketing department got it right this time and it’s just not what the kids are into these days. I really wonder what the response will be like when it drops on Series X?

I assume you mean DLAA or TAA because it doesn’t support DLSS
wider shot of this

btw this game has, according to dev.;

so I am sure that there are some things that doesn’t look great yet, but the scale of this game combined with quality, this is what makes it a truly next gen title

Some odd pop ins there. Noticed that too.

We need SSD as soon as possible! 😭

#MakeLoadingTextutesGreatAgain

PS: great game!

nextgen beginning any moment now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Pretty embarrassed to see some of the posts here. The game literally looks photorealistic and we are nitpicking.

Its the best looking game ever made. This isn't rocket science. Anyone with two eyes can see this.

I have trained eyes and much experience on the matter.

Its a huge artistic achievement. They nailed lighting and colors palate.

Overall Geometry and Textures on the other hand...😐😑😔

Stuart360

I wonder how many of these dodgy screens and vids are by certain people playing on low settings with shitty internet, becauae i'm approaching 30 hours now, been to so many places around the world, and not seen anything close to as bad as some of the stuff being shown here.
Is it perfect?, no, but with the way this game renders its graphics, internet speed, and lod settings are paramount for the best quality.

Stuart360

This is not a game. This is an experience. Holy fuck at the weather simulation. Landing during bad weather condictions gives me chills.
Watched someone fly into a super cell yesterday, it was crazy looking.
Earlier on, i was trying to find Mt Everest (which i did in the end, this game really needs more tags, and tags added to the map). Anyway i picked sone airport near where i knew Everest was, and had live weather on, and the game loaded and it was thick fog, and i mean thick fog. Took off, circled to the west, couldnt see anything at all, then about 5mins later, suddenly trees and the side of a mountain appeared out of the fog in about 1 second. I crashed obviously, but boy did it make me jump lol.

Gp1

I'm pretty embarrassed by some shitposting here. Do you guys realize that this is almost procedurally generated, right?
And we are talking about a game released less than a week ago.

Try compare some screenshots of X Plane 11 Vanilla with a heavily modded 2020 Xplane 11.

In 6 months or so you will see some SERIOUS improvements after the community take this engine for a ride.

This is by far the most impressive gaming tech of the last 10 years. The illumination/weather system is years ahead anything else.

Last edited:
8MsKI4q.jpg

AyDK1oe.jpg

g42ejlN.jpg

SirTerry-T

His agenda's pretty clear at this point. Kinda sad; they have decent tech insight but what's the point if you use it to constantly downplay/denigrate a given platform no matter what? That just weakens the need for others to listen.

Just look at all those flat, bitmap animals ;)

Now you're just embodying the console gamer stereotype PC gamers made so much fun of (and some still do) back in the day. Dumb, simple-minded barbarians who only know when things go "shoot shoot bang bang" and need constant MTV-style visual explosion stimuli every frame and severe attention deficiency. Bonus points for not being able to wrap their brain around game mechanics more complex than a platformer or action-adventurer.

There's a reason PC ports of sim-style games took so long to start arriving to consoles; console gamers who had your mentality feeding into a stereotype was one of the reasons why. There were other obvious reasons, too (legitimate ones, like too much architecture divergence, input divergence, etc.), but this was one of the more offending ones.

I think it's a generation thing too, to be honest. I'm on the wrong side of forty five ;) and growing up in the UK, during the home computer boom, my software library had platformers, shooters, text and arcade adventures and flight sim games.
Generations who got into gaming after consoles became the standard "delivery service" really missed out on a lot of different genres, which is a shame.

Last edited:

Spokker

This is by far the most impressive gaming tech of the last 10 years. The illumination/weather system is years ahead anything else.
Someone joking about the way certain things look does not necessarily mean they don't understand all this. I agree that Flight Simulator 2020 is the most impressive piece of software I've seen in a long time, but I also like glitches because they are funny no matter how they happened.

And yes, by the very nature of what FS2020 is, I tolerate the bugs/glitches way more than I do in a linear movie game.

Reactions: Gp1

sendit

I wonder how many of these dodgy screens and vids are by certain people playing on low settings with shitty internet, becauae i'm approaching 30 hours now, been to so many places around the world, and not seen anything close to as bad as some of the stuff being shown here.
Is it perfect?, no, but with the way this game renders its graphics, internet speed, and lod settings are paramount for the best quality.

2080 TI, i9 9900K. With high data asset streaming on. Its super easy to find horrible looking areas.

sendit

Well you must be looking for them. And from judging your othier posts, you probably are.

I don't need to look for them. They're in abundance. If this game is being hailed as being a graphical showcase because of satellite imagery, I am really not impressed. I've already admitted the game looks fantastic when you aren't near any buildings/objects as the way the game should be played.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Fx 6300 rx 580 HDD, 8gb ram. Runs at 1080p medium between 20 and 30s. I can't complain as my CPU is below minimum specs.
I'll up the res to 1440p to improve the IQ. Graphics are stunning as is.

Hopefully the game is optimized down the line.

DeaDPo0L84

So I downloaded the game and finally started it and thered another 91.36gb download for languages, is that necessary? Haven't played s flight sim in years so not sure.

• Strength
Reactions: Gp1

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Next gen on "consoles" started awhile ago but namely tlou2 and games like Ghost of T. Flight is good for what it is and being this good on a mid to high speced pc but then again a good amount of games look good with good rigs. It is doing cool things considering the scope of it and it being a simulator and diff from what most games do with having to worry about npcs, enemies, boss battles, etc.
LOL Right on queue.

Edit: Oh shit, mods are on it.

Last edited:

Gp1

So I downloaded the game and finally started it and thered another 91.36gb download for languages, is that necessary? Haven't played s flight sim in years so not sure.

WELCOME TO THE MICROSOFT EXCLUSIVE PRE LOADING SYSTEM.

THE POST-LOAD OF THE PRE-LOAD CLOUD TM

nemiroff

Gold Member

Norway has a lot of issues unfortunately (especially unfortunate since it's my home country, AND that it's one of the most beautiful places to fly in the world), it can be very very disappointing at times. It is obvious that it had a "low priority" at MS..

HOWEVER;

Tb2lt1G.png

Nice!

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The game can only run on next gen Xbox devices. It’s not possible for current gen.

Thus it’s a next gen game. It’s not that hard guys...

Xbox being largely silent on good-looking exclusives this gen has driven the PS bros into thinking they have a monopoly on good graphics.

Always the same trolls downplaying anything that isn’t running on a PS4. Not that Flight Sim at High could run on it anyway.

Krisprolls

Banned
Game looks great. They should make a game around the simulator though. Flying doing nothing gets old fast, unless you're just looking for meditation.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Xbox being largely silent on good-looking exclusives this gen has driven the PS bros into thinking they have a monopoly on good graphics.

Always the same trolls downplaying anything that isn’t running on a PS4. Not that Flight Sim at High could run on it anyway.

Hooray, there's a good looking exclusive outside of Sony. Except it's not a Xbox exclusive since it's on PC. Actually, right now it's not even on Xbox.

Who wants to try to fly an Airbus A320 with a pad anyway ? Got it on PC for €1 with Gamepass.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

U need to see more of the game . It looks great some places and 2d mess in other area. Very inconsistent
The entirety of the planet you live on is in this game. You have no idea how much the poster you're responding to has seen of the game. What you're suggesting is they go try to fly as low to the ground as possible in a remote region to find inconsistencies in a game that is rendering the planet earth. That's like judging TLOU2 graphics by visiting the games closet spaces. It's unhelpful and really an obtuse way to judge a game's graphics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom