• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Graphics Analysis - Next-Gen Begins Now

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking at Flight Simulator screenshots, it’s possible to answer this question in two ways: on the one hand, the quality of eighth-gen visuals has improved a lot. If you were to put Flight Simulator’s visuals up against an arguably far more limited top-tier AAA title, you’d see that plenty of modern games feature high poly vehicle models, photogrammetry, and state-of-the-art lighting and volumetrics.

Flight Simulator’s ace in the hole, though, is it’s ability to deliver next-gen AAA quality visuals at an unprecedented scale. In many ways, it's delivering moment-to-moment visuals, at a never seen before scale. In short, Microsoft Flight Simulator is already in next-gen mode before next-gen begins.

Agree. Next Gen began with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 :messenger_smiling_hearts:

It's an incredibly forward thinking game. Aiming for future hardware rather than current mainstream hardware, which is something we don't often see anymore.

"But can it run Crysis MS Flight Simulator 2020" is now a thing.

Also, as someone who has openly mocked Microsoft and "da powaah of da cloud!" many times, I find myself in a strange timeline where the power of the cloud is now a reality.

Last edited:

JLMC469

Banned
I can guarantee you the usual fanboys won’t come near this thread with their comparisons and memoirs.

If Flight Simulator was an actor right now:
tenor.gif

Gamernyc78

Banned

Looking at Flight Simulator screenshots, it’s possible to answer this question in two ways: on the one hand, the quality of eighth-gen visuals has improved a lot. If you were to put Flight Simulator’s visuals up against an arguably far more limited top-tier AAA title, you’d see that plenty of modern games feature high poly vehicle models, photogrammetry, and state-of-the-art lighting and volumetrics.

Flight Simulator’s ace in the hole, though, is it’s ability to deliver next-gen AAA quality visuals at an unprecedented scale. In many ways, it's delivering moment-to-moment visuals, at a never seen before scale. In short, Microsoft Flight Simulator is already in next-gen mode before next-gen begins.

Next gen on "consoles" started awhile ago but namely tlou2 and games like Ghost of T. Flight is good for what it is and being this good on a mid to high speced pc but then again a good amount of games look good with good rigs. It is doing cool things considering the scope of it and it being a simulator and diff from what most games do with having to worry about npcs, enemies, boss battles, etc.

Last edited:
Next gen on "consoles" started awhile ago but namely tlou2 and games like Ghost of T. Flight is good for what it is and being this good on a mid to high speced pc but then again a good amount of games look good with good rigs. It is doing cool things considering the scope of it and it being a simulator and diff from what most games do with having to worry about npcs, enemies, boss battles, etc.

WTF are you talking about?

"Next gen on consoles started a while ago with (insert current gen games here)" 🤡

Can't contain your own salt huh lol

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
Flight Simulator’s ace in the hole, though, is it’s ability to deliver next-gen AAA quality visuals at an unprecedented scale.

The Earth surface is incredibly badly looking in small details. Like Google Earth quality.
Dunno what next-gen it is.
Not to mention that it's all flat (heightmap) and they use various tricks to make it look like it really has some real geometry.
I was amused when cars warped over bridges, for example.

Gamernyc78

Banned
WTF are you talking about?

"Next gen on consoles started a while ago with (insert current gen games here)" ?

Can't contain your own salt huh lol

You OK sensitive keyboard gangsta? Going to catch an aneurism, relax. I said what I said. We started seeing next Gen type things few months ago with those games I mentioned. Tlou 2 animations are above and beyond most things this gen.

Some of you guys kill me. Now I'm scared to post 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
The Earth surface is incredibly badly looking in small details. Like Google Earth quality.
Not to mention that it's all flat (heightmap) and they use various tricks to make it look like it really has some real geometry.

It's all flat huh? No geometry!

Just stop. Or did you come here trying to embarass yourself?

You OK sensitive keyboard gangsta? Going to catch an aneurism, relax. I said what I said. We started seeing next Gen type things few months ago with those games I mentioned. Tlou 2 animations are above and beyond most things this gen.

Some of you guys kill me. Now I'm scared to post 😂😂😂😂

Just saying it takes a literal mountain of salt to feel the need to come into this thread and tout a couple current gen console games as when next gen "really started guyz" 🤡

Gamernyc78

Banned
Just saying it takes a literal mountain of salt to feel the need to come into this thread and tout a couple current gen console games as when next gen "really started guyz" 🤡

It takes a clown to be super sensitive about it 🤔 opinions and all 😊 Threads are for opinions and comments.

Be careful with tht emoji you'll get a warning I use to use it to put ppl in their place but I was told not to 😂😂😂

Back to the thread at hand. It does some great things considering the type of game it is while other games recently have done great things that merit next Gen starts now moniker. Very interested to see how this translates scaling down to Xbox.

Last edited:
Yup, they do some clever extrusion stuff and procedurally generated stuff.
But it seems like the source data is just a heightmap.
Did you see cars passing through the bridges?

It's All fLat with nO gEoMeTrY!

VividLandscape.jpg

Must be why this can bring a 2080ti to its knees. "No geometry"

Why do you feel the need to desperately downplay this game? Can't help but feel like if this was a PS5 exclusive you would be hailing it as the most next gen game out there and only possible because of Cerny's magic SSD.

Last edited:
Do you understand how heightmaps work? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It's a pretty usual layered terrain.
Tech from 2010.
To be real geometry it needs to have things that are one under another and being able to fly/go there.

I don't diss the game it looks very nice. But saying "this is nextgen" is pretty naive...

I understand what a height map is. A better question is if you understand what the word geometry means.

You literally said it's all flat and only uses tricks to fake geometry. There's not even anything to discuss. You're just wrong.

Some good examples of something that's actually flat, and is just using tricks to make it seem like it has geometry, would be bump mapping and parallax mapping.

CitizenX

Banned
Looks to me like every flight sim the last few years with a little more ground detail. Its like when everyone posts car pics, i couldnt tell you if it is from this year or 5 yrs ago. Neither are benchmarks.

FlyyGOD

You can't really be serious. Explain what so next gen about those two games.

Stuart360

The cars do act a bit wierd. no doubt, but its a nice effect adding them, and from the sky, which you are supposed to be in a flying game, the cars really add a nice little touch to the graphics.
The game looks awesome, and trying to pretend otherwise just make you look dumb, sorry. This isnt Halo Infinite.
Anyway spent about 20 hours in the game now, just cruising the world. I feel i'll still be coming back to this 10 years from now.

ik3

Neo Member
Looks cool but did you notice the flying cars and trucks at :19? To quote a pretty cool Fallout YTber MXR, "thats not immersive".

I hadn’t noticed them, I was too amazed by how incredible this looks, so I went back to see.

eR0E8Zv.jpg

oh my fuck, you’re right, I can’t believe how shit this game looks. Immersion? Pffftttt

maybe if they had used any actual geometry instead of fake news bridge mapping this wouldn’t look like poo

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
It takes a clown to be super sensitive about it 🤔 opinions and all 😊 Threads are for opinions and comments.

Be careful with tht emoji you'll get a warning I use to use it to put ppl in their place but I was told not to 😂😂😂

Back to the thread at hand. It does some great things considering the type of game it is while other games recently have done great things that merit next Gen starts now moniker. Very interested to see how this translates scaling down to Xbox.

Fuck you're embarrassing. How the fuck does a grown as adult type the shit you do and be serious.

==

FS2020 is only the beginning of this gen. If Xbox and Sony 1st party get some good time with the new hardware and tools we are going to be in for a real treat in a year or so.

Looks good. That team did a great job and hopefully the sales follow even if the market for the game is limited. After the Crew II that team fell off the map completely for me.

Last edited:

Kazza

Look SonyGaf people, you had your fun with the Craig memes, but you really need to cool it with this one. If you are so blinded by fanboyism that you can't admire a genuinely next-gen title on a rival platform, then maybe a period of silence would be for the best. Anything else just comes across as really salty

Abear21

Banned
Man I want this game so bad. I can’t wait to see this on Series X and how it scales. Will it be comparable to Ultra settings on PC? If so it will represent a huge value.

Maybe it’s growing up with the old Flight Sims, but for me this is the first must own in a while. I wish Microsoft would say when it’s coming to Series X so I don’t have to buy a new PC!

CitizenX

Banned
Look SonyGaf people, you had your fun with the Craig memes, but you really need to cool it with this one. If you are so blinded by fanboyism that you can't admire a genuinely next-gen title on a rival platform, then maybe a period of silence would be for the best. Anything else just comes across as really salty

A game that if it wasnt on GP would be DOA on console. It has and will always be a PC title but congrats i guess to doing another one, i guess.

Stuart360

Unless i'm missunderstanding what you mean, thats just wrong. In fact i'm constantly blown away by just how much 3d geomatry there actually is. I was expecting a lot more flat 2D textures, due to the nature of using satelite data, and there def are 2D textures, but most of the gound detail is geomatry.
Thats all the places i have flown anyway. I'm sure it will probably be different if yuo go to some of the more obscure parts of the world.
At the end of the day, you have the whole planet, literally. There was always going to be some kind of consessions used, but what they have achieved overall is nothing short of amazing, and will continue to get better over time according to the devs.

Top Bottom